As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Anyone who did that much destruction to the South automatically gets put in the top 20.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Eh, Grant's flaws were somewhat overblown (his administration was corrupt, but not Teapot Dome corrupt). The south just despise(d) him, for obvious reasons.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Nope, Grant was (except the scandals) pretty good. Best President for black people between Lincoln and either FDR or LBJ.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Really guys? Really?

George W. Bush's re-election platform was "9/11." And Obama taking credit for ordering the strike to take out Bin Laden--a strike that Mitt Romney explicitly said he would never order--is "tasteless?"

Seriously, "I killed that bitch" could be Obama's campaign motto, and it still wouldn't be anywhere near as tasteless as what the Republicans did under Dubya.

• Options
    BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    Republicans are whiny babies, some authorities say.

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Really guys? Really?

George W. Bush's re-election platform was "9/11." And Obama taking credit for ordering the strike to take out Bin Laden--a strike that Mitt Romney explicitly said he would never order--is "tasteless?"

Seriously, "I killed that bitch" could be Obama's campaign motto, and it still wouldn't be anywhere near as tasteless as what the Republicans did under Dubya.

Yeah, Arianna Huffington was whining about it this morning. Again, it's okay for Republicans, but Democrats should play fair and never take credit for anything.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    dbrock270 wrote: »

I love Maddow's face in the freeze frame.
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/04/30/Aide-Romneys-economic-plan-evolving/UPI-66931335796864/#ixzz1tXiaOZvv
    WASHINGTON, April 30 (UPI) -- The economic plan issued last year by presumptive Republican U.S. presidential nominee Mitt Romney isn't chiseled in stone and is meant to evolve, an aide says.

Elements of the 59-point plan have changed since its release in September, such as proposed tax rates, USA Today reported Monday.

A Romney economic adviser said the document, "Believe in America: Mitt Romney's Plan for Jobs and Economic Growth," was never meant to be set in stone and specifically acknowledged several areas where "more work needed to be done."

"It's absolutely intended to be a starting point," the adviser said.
    Gogo backtracking.

Nono, not backtracking, moving forward!

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Really guys? Really?

WaPo has lost most of its credibility as a non partisan hack rag. Another article they recently ran was "Top Five Liberal Cliches"

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Really guys? Really?

Wasn't Bush's 2004 motto "We have to kill those bitches!"? "Those bitches" meaning...Iraq.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    When you factor in M/V Maersk Alabama and the rescue of Jessica Buchanan, it's kind of remarkable how many people Barack Obama isn't taking credit for killing in Special Forces raids.

Like, this is the sort of President that Dick Marcinko thinks about while he masturbates.

SammyF on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    and that video has been terminated

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I watched Romney's flapping-gums mouthpiece, Ed Gillespie, on Meet the Press this week.

David Gregory: "Your candidate supports legislation that restricts women's access to birth control, abortions, and health insurance. How does the Romney campaign address this and still appeal to female voters?"

Ed Gillespie: "You know what's really hurting women? Slow. Economic. Recovery. And that's 100% President Obama's fault. Why don't we stop fussing around with trivialities and political opportunism, and simply address the real problems: President Obama making America a worse place for women."

I've never wanted to murder someone more than when I heard that verbal diarrhea.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    You don't understand, if those women had jobs they could buy all the foreign birth control and abortions they want!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Really guys? Really?

WaPo has lost most of its credibility as a non partisan hack rag. Another article they recently ran was "Top Five Liberal Cliches"

It's basically the home for torture enthusiasts and other hacks.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzKfVQIO4xM

Looks like the White House threw this guy under the bus. I don't know why what he said was so controversial, all I know is it's getting crowded under there.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/30/11472508-senior-epa-official-resigns-over-crucify-strategy-with-oil-industry?lite

• Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    I watched Romney's flapping-gums mouthpiece, Ed Gillespie, on Meet the Press this week.

David Gregory: "Your candidate supports legislation that restricts women's access to birth control, abortions, and health insurance. How does the Romney campaign address this and still appeal to female voters?"

Ed Gillespie: "You know what's really hurting women? Slow. Economic. Recovery. And that's 100% President Obama's fault. Why don't we stop fussing around with trivialities and political opportunism, and simply address the real problems: President Obama making America a worse place for women."

I've never wanted to murder someone more than when I heard that verbal diarrhea.

I'm sure it will help get women on their team if they call women's health issues "trivial." That's a sure-fire strategy right there.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Cervetus wrote: »

I'm sure it will help get women on their team if they call women's health issues "trivial." That's a sure-fire strategy right there.

Yeah, you know what really makes finding a job easier for women? The inability to control their own health decisions.

• Options

I was more than a little pissed at David Gregory for letting the guy off the hook despite A) the guy completely (and intentionally, obviously) avoiding the question being asked, and B) responding with something that was patently bullshit.

I mean, fuck, why even bring these people on?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I was more than a little pissed at David Gregory for letting the guy off the hook despite A) the guy completely (and intentionally, obviously) avoiding the question being asked, and B) responding with something that was patently bullshit.

David Gregory is an ineffective tool that is representative of everything that is wrong with media today.
    Proclaimed Gregory, with a straight face: “Questions were asked. I think we pushed. I think we prodded. I think we challenged the President. Not only those of us in the White House Press Corps did that, but others in the media landscape did that.” Most revealingly of all, Gregory said:

"I think there are a lot of critics who think that . . . . if we did not stand up and say this is bogus, and you’re a liar, and why are you doing this, that we didn’t do our job. I respectfully disagree. It’s not our role."

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

David Gregory is an ineffective tool that is representative of everything that is wrong with media today.
    Proclaimed Gregory, with a straight face: “Questions were asked. I think we pushed. I think we prodded. I think we challenged the President. Not only those of us in the White House Press Corps did that, but others in the media landscape did that.” Most revealingly of all, Gregory said:

"I think there are a lot of critics who think that . . . . if we did not stand up and say this is bogus, and you’re a liar, and why are you doing this, that we didn’t do our job. I respectfully disagree. It’s not our role."

To which I'd have to ask, "Jesus, then what the fuck do you think your role is?"

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

To which I'd have to ask, "Jesus, then what the fuck do you think your role is?"

Their role is to go to cocktail parties and rub elbows with the rich and powerful, begging at their feet for favors, of course.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

To leach as much money out of actual voters as possible by turning the process into an oppositional sporting event?

• Options
    @JihadJesus, @CaptainCarrot:

To tell the truth, I think the media system in the US is completely backwards in its goals, which are namely to gain as many viewers as possible through whatever means fits your political agenda.

David Gregory's job isn't to call Ed Gillespie a liar, or to even point out when he's being wrong or purposefully obfuscatory. Gregory's job is to give the illusion of non-partisanship in providing a platform for all arguments from all sides, because to act otherwise would be to incur displeasure from an offended group.

And that's bad for the advertising dollars.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I hate when we (they) decided non-partisan meant accepting obvious lies without questioning them. Hell, you should question EVERYTHING.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

What's intriguing is that they don't have properly thought out responses for obvious questions about polarizing subjects which could hurt Romney in the general, from David Gregory of all people.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

To make the show improve they'd have to replace Gregory with someone with brains and the will to not take their BS. Maddow's perfect only she's busy with her own show.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

What's intriguing is that they don't have properly thought out responses for obvious questions about polarizing subjects which could hurt Romney in the general, from David Gregory of all people.

In fairness, Gillespie was totally ready for the question. His response to Romney's women's issues was obviously well-practiced, it just didn't make any sense. It's only real job was to deflect the real question being asked while simultaneously making it look like President Obama was the one with the problem people are trying to lay on Romney, a la:

Gregory: "What is the Romney Camp's response to allegations that Mitt Romney turns into a werewolf every full moon and brutally murders virgins?"

Gillespie: "David, why don't we talk about what's really going on here: President Obama's opposition to abstinence-only sexual education is an open assault on family values."

• Options
    To make the show improve they'd have to replace Gregory with someone with brains and the will to not take their BS. Maddow's perfect only she's busy with her own show.

Gregory (and others) chief problem is that he legitimizes purposeful obfuscation and elusivity be simply not acknowledging it.

His only response to any statement, no matter how obvious its falseness, is, "Great, next question . . ."

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Holy shit this is a fucking earth-shattering debate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs-ryiu2GJM

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

There should be a word for simultaneously wanting to and not wanting to watch something this badly. I want to see Krugman destroy Paul's arguments, but I don't want to have to listen to Ron Paul to do it.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

There should be a word for simultaneously wanting to and not wanting to watch something this badly. I want to see Krugman destroy Paul's arguments, but I don't want to have to listen to Ron Paul to do it.

whatever the word is, Krugman was feeling it through the entire interview

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    The anchor comparing Ron Paul and Paul Krugman as if they're equivalent is kind of awful.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    can't really have a debate otherwise

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

So on the one hand, we've got one of the world's leading experts on economics. Debating him is a crazy old man who wants us to run our economy with shiny yellow rocks.

I hope future history books note how ridiculous this is.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    well the comments agree paul won.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Krugman is an expert! Everybody knows experts don't know nothin'!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    How did Paul Krugman stop himself from jumping through space and murdering Ron Paul? My god.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Ron Paul's first argument was the Roman empire... So full of shit

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Oh we wanna go back a hundred years? Well they want to go back a THOUSAND years! So take that!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.