As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Presidential Election Thread] All Hail the Liberty Rooster.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    spiking the football is better than showing up to the wrong stadium and standing on the 50 yard line for 6 years with your dick in your hand

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I still don't get how this is suddenly a metaphor. That they're using

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    What a great way to knock Obama down. Tell everyone how horrible Obama is by reminding them how awesome he is.
    Seriously. The Republicans want to keep talking about how the Obama administration brought down Osama bin Laden? Yes, please.

Even GOP campaigns managers are saying the GOP butthurt is backfiring:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/02/mark-mckinnon-gop-attacks-on-obama-s-bin-laden-ad-misguided.html

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

It's not really that apt, as has been mentioned. It's not a problem because of what he's doing, it's a problem because of the person that's doing it.

You don't see any major politicians trying to shame these people for doing essentially the same thing.

osama_011.jpg

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

After every single person on the right started using "Job creators" instead of the Rich practically over night it doesn't really surprise me to see them acting as one.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I honestly didn't get the metaphor until this thread. The news people keep using it like its cheating. Spiking the Football in Football isn't cheating.

Depends how exuberantly you do it, technically.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    What a great way to knock Obama down. Tell everyone how horrible Obama is by reminding them how awesome he is.
    Seriously. The Republicans want to keep talking about how the Obama administration brought down Osama bin Laden? Yes, please.

Another reason why this isn't swiftboating. No one's denying this actually happened and he had a part in it. They're just saying he's being a dick about it, which isn't going to convince anyone on the fence.

"What a douche. Look at him, celebrating, completely ignoring the contributions of the team."
    "I dunno, looks like he's high-fiving everyone else who was involved. What's he celebrating, anyway?"
    "Winning the Superbowl. What a dou--"
    "HE WON THE SUPERBOWL? I'm gonna go see if he'll fuck my wife so I can tell all my friends the guy who won the Superbowl fucked my wife."

• Options
    I honestly didn't get the metaphor until this thread. The news people keep using it like its cheating. Spiking the Football in Football isn't cheating.

Even if you take of your helmet and whip out your dick, it's not really "cheating" the way that pass interference is cheating.

• Options

I admit I'm not really a sports guy but isn't the rule against showboating there because it's considered rude, immature or dickish and not because it gives your team the advantage in some way?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »

Another reason why this isn't swiftboating. No one's denying this actually happened and he had a part in it. They're just saying he's being a dick about it, which isn't going to convince anyone on the fence.

"What a douche. Look at him, celebrating, completely ignoring the contributions of the team."
    "I dunno, looks like he's high-fiving everyone else who was involved. What's he celebrating, anyway?"
    "HE WON THE SUPERBOWL? I'm gonna go see if he'll fuck my wife so I can tell all my friends the guy who won the Superbowl fucked my wife."

Haha

:^:

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I admit I'm not really a sports guy but isn't the rule against showboating there because it's considered rude, immature or dickish and not because it gives your team the advantage in some way?
    But this is politics, not football. Rude immature and dickish are par for the course

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think if the republicans actually listened to themselves they'd stand a good chance of beating Obama or really any opponent in a campaign because of their money, experience, and lack of a limiter. But they keep on untapping that potential despite basically saying they'll do anything to win.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

I would totally be ok with Obama fucking my wife.

• Options

Poor sportsmanship/delay of game.

• Options
    SammyF wrote: »

Even if you take of your helmet and whip out your dick, it's not really "cheating" the way that pass interference is cheating.

And yet, the same penalty (in college; the NFL pass interference rule is dumb) applies. Which is silly, but technically cheating in the against the rules sense.

And being technically correct is the best kind of correct.

225px-Number_1.0.png

• Options

But this is politics, not football. Rude immature and dickish are par for the course

Yeah but I was saying I didn't get the metaphor at first because Republicans were talking about Obama's actions as cheating because it was spiking the football and spiking the foot isn't cheating(Right?).

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »

I'm not sure we have a tag for that in the voter file....

• Options
    TheCanMan wrote: »

I wouldn't. Michelle would kill him.

• Options

Poor sportsmanship/delay of game.

Which isn't really...

And yet, the same penalty (in college; the NFL pass interference rule is dumb) applies. Which is silly, but technically cheating in the against the rules sense.

And being technically correct is the best kind of correct.

225px-Number_1.0.png

Well I'm certainly not arguing with a futurama quote.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    spiking the football is better than showing up to the wrong stadium and standing on the 50 yard line for 6 years with your dick in your hand

This thread generates the very best visuals. 8->

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    Bush-FlightSuit-Doll02.jpg

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    So I'll post this instead.

http://youtu.be/Z1jMaeoBrCs

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    you see thats a silly ad

because everyone hates newt

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular

Well, it's worked for the Mormon team before. Apparently Romney thinks Obama is Jake Locker.

• Options
    Bit of a waste of effort to reach the two or three Newt voters still out there.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Shep Smith continues to be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuF03PTNpp8

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Can I get that on a shirt or something?

"Politics is weird... and creepy."
    -Shepard Smith

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    I'm pretty comfortable saying that Shepard Smith is probably the least scumbaggy pundit at Fox News.

I mean that's not exactly a huge fucking hurdle, but still.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    What exactly is Bush pointing at?

• Options

Is the double-take where he looks back at the statement to see if it had actually said that the best part?

Because I think that's the best part.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

I...

I kinda want to high-five Shep for that.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular

I can't wait til they realize it's biting them in the ass.

"Look, we'd love to sit here and talk about how President Obama ordered the SEAL team assault that killed the man who perpetrated 9/11 and who was our Number 1 most wanted man in the world for a decade, and we'd be glad to talk about how he didn't even wait til the next morning to tell us that the world was a slightly less evil place, but we have more pressing issues to talk about.

Like why are women STILL allowed to vote?"

• Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    Sheeeeeeeeeep.

y so hungry. :/ Eat some more starch. We need you healthy.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm pretty comfortable saying that Shepard Smith is probably the least scumbaggy pundit at Fox News.

I would go so far as to say shep smith is a decent human being. how he ended up on fox and why they keep him there I don't know

• Options
    Shep isn't a pundit. He's an anchor. Specifically, he's Fox's anchor to reality. Without him they'd discorporate.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »

I would go so far as to say shep smith is a decent human being. how he ended up on fox and why they keep him there I don't know

He's there for the money IMO. I heard he's paid extremely well, that's why he didn't go to CNN or MSNBC when his contract was expiring a few years ago.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

This is the truthiest thing that has ever been said on Fox news.

• Options
    Followed closely by every other thing Shep Smith has said, and distantly by everything everyone else has said.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    On the Mormon thing in Nevada, assuming the Mormon population is around 170k, about how much of that can be subtracted from the total number of potential voters due to be ineligible to vote in the state of Nevada (being one of the following: a convicted felon, under age, non-US citizen or out of state resident)? Of that, how many would be an actual republican vote? I'm not convinced that even if the entire voting population of Nevada Mormons showed up this fall, that they would all vote for Romney, I could see at least 20% voting for someone else. Sure the Mormon vote will probably help Romney in some areas but I have a feeling it's value in the general election is going to get overstated.

As for VA, I'm wondering how much of a liability Cantor is going to be for Romney. Cantor apparently isn't popular amongst VA voters and unlike McDonnel and our crazy legislature, he isn't someone that Romney can easily distanced himself from. It's one thing to potential brush McDonnel and the crazy legislature as being incompetent, crazy politicians that got in because of the quirks regarding local politics. It's another thing to do that with Cantor who has ties with the tie party and is the house majority leader.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    On the Mormon thing in Nevada, assuming the Mormon population is around 170k, about how much of that can be subtracted from the total number of potential voters due to be ineligible to vote in the state of Nevada (being one of the following: a convicted felon, under age, non-US citizen or out of state resident)? Of that, how many would be an actual republican vote? I'm not convinced that even if the entire voting population of Nevada Mormons showed up this fall, that they would all vote for Romney, I could see at least 20% voting for someone else. Sure the Mormon vote will probably help Romney in some areas but I have a feeling it's value in the general election is going to get overstated.

As for VA, I'm wondering how much of a liability Cantor is going to be for Romney. Cantor apparently isn't popular amongst VA voters and unlike McDonnel and our crazy legislature, he isn't someone that Romney can easily distanced himself from. It's one thing to potential brush McDonnel and the crazy legislature as being incompetent, crazy politicians that got in because of the quirks regarding local politics. It's another thing to do that with Cantor who has ties with the tie party and is the house majority leader.
    80% is the typical Mormon Republican vote, I think. I think you'll have two separate effects going on this election: more Mormons voting, and more of those who do vote voting Republican. So, both an increase in turnout, and an increase in the margin.

This discussion has been closed.