As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where the beer flows like wine (Dumb and Dumber 2)

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In the last two weeks I watched Alien, Aliens, Terminator, and Predator 2 for the first time.

I had actually seen a lot of Aliens before but I actually sat down and watched it start to finish this time. It was really good!

I really want to see Terminator 2 now.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Aliens.

I am watching it right now.

Just putting that out there.

that's a good movie.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    It's a movie about anarchy and there is an organized march.

And?

I didn't felt that it fitted well within the context of this movie. Especially since there were other scenes of violence and theft and then all of a sudden this emotion is channeled into a non violent march against the police force.

The cartoonish depiction of the established power also did not sit well with me.

There was also the issue of Natalie Portman's accent.

There were a number if issues that I had due to the changes they had compared to the comic also, but I will won't really go into them as the movie should stand in its own.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Terminator is a seriously underrated movie.

• Options
    I liked the future bits the most.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Terminator is a movie i hadn't seen before 2008. and have seen it like 19 times now.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Trivia time!

A lot of the code vomit in the terminator's HUD is apple II code.

Apple really is evil....

Blake T on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    hey guys

whoa, big gulps, huh

alright

welp, see you later

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Aliens.

I am watching it right now.

Just putting that out there.

that's a good movie.

I'm really smart.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Trivia time!

Apple really is evil....

also true, Robocop 2 ran on apple.

so yeah.

Also Robocop 2 is a good movie, the actual robocop 2 in the movie is kind of silly.

Why does a police officer need a minigun and a pneumatic fist? And the inability to communicate?

• Options
    Trivia time!

Apple really is evil....

so yeah.

Also Robocop 2 is a good movie, the actual robocop 2 in the movie is kind of silly.

Why does a police officer need a minigun and a pneumatic fist? And the inability to communicate?

robocop is a series you simply cannot take seriously or look at even remotely critically and still enjoy

I forget which movie it was but there's one scene where robocop tears his way out of the top of his cruiser instead of just opening the fucking door

but that's also the one with my favorite line:

"What happened to him!?"
    "Well, he got lit on fire and shot to hell."

• Options
    Robocop and Terminator are both on Netflix Instant FYI

But neither of the sequels are :(

And then for some reason Robocop 3 is. It must suck.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Robocop 3 is only PG-13, which is lame

but he gets a jetpack in that one so

you know

fuckin' awesome

• Options
    Robocop is up there with starship troopers.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    reminder that the first robocop movie is an astoundingly effective satire

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    in the last week I watched Hunger Games (in theatre) as well as Anchorman, The Fifth Element and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

I am in a rollercoaster of cinematic emotions

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    In the last two weeks I watched Alien, Aliens, Terminator, and Predator 2 for the first time.

I had actually seen a lot of Aliens before but I actually sat down and watched it start to finish this time. It was really good!

Watch it watch it watch it.

T2 is arguably the best action movie of the '90s. The directors cut has a couple of little extra bits in it that help the story along as well, and show more of the new terminator.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    Trivia time!

Apple really is evil....

so yeah.

robocop is a series you simply cannot take seriously or look at even remotely critically and still enjoy

I forget which movie it was but there's one scene where robocop tears his way out of the top of his cruiser instead of just opening the fucking door

but that's also the one with my favorite line:

"What happened to him!?"
    "Well, he got lit on fire and shot to hell."

It's satire. I'm aware of this. also that's robocop 3. That movie was just shit. utter shit.

But still, i feel like i can sit back and comment on things. i get that the point is it is way over the top. ED-209 has 3 20mm cannons and a missile launcher and the guy wanted to use it for urban police work and then maybe military work. That's silly in and of its self, but robocop 2 was just weird. The growls i figure they put a low priority for him to be able to talk since it was likely not finished yet, and Detroit was really a shit hole.

But outside of that, man, a pneumatic fist? come on guys. Come on.

• Options
    Jurassic park is the best action movie of the 90's.

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »
    reminder that the first robocop movie is an astoundingly effective satire

True story, this came up because i was hanging out with him and Cymril. we were bored so i forced them to watch robocop and robocop 2.

It was the first time he had seen them in like, 10 years. he was blown away.

"I can't honestly believe i had toys of this growing up"
    "Fucking 80s man. Remember there was a rambo cartoon"

• Options

T2 is arguably the best action movie of the '90s. The directors cut has a couple of little extra bits in it that help the story along as well, and show more of the new terminator.

I will watch it eventually. Out of everything I watched I enjoyed Terminator the most. I have 0 exposure to that series outside of the first movie so I am most interested in that universe right now.

Though I had quick access to Predators so I watched that last week

That was actually a surprisingly good movie, better than Predator 2 which I didn't really like very much. I hope they make a new, alien-free Predator movie soon.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    you know what was a spectacular idea for a movie with a piss-poor execution

Jumanji

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Man jumanji was a movie I watched dozens and dozens of times as a kid.

I loved it.

I haven't seen it in probably ten years.

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

I will watch it eventually. Out of everything I watched I enjoyed Terminator the most. I have 0 exposure to that series outside of the first movie so I am most interested in that universe right now.

Though I had quick access to Predators so I watched that last week

That was actually a surprisingly good movie, better than Predator 2 which I didn't really like very much. I hope they make a new, alien-free Predator movie soon.

Terminator 2 is good.

Other Terminator movies are to be avoided. Same rule as Alien, you watch it, watch Aliens, and you're done.

• Options
    Terminator is a seriously underrated movie.

you think?

seems to me like most people think it's pretty good

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    If you are going to complain a out the lack of original movies. You really shouldn't complain about this one as I believe is maybe Jim Carey's second sequel ever.
    I said the same thing about will ferrel in the anchorman thread

I agree that the glut of remakes and sequels is a problem, but don't always dismiss them wholesale, particularly when they come from people who don't normally revisit a well

• Options

Jumanji

i don't think it had a piss poor execution. it was a pretty alright movie.

the second one wasn't so great though.

• Options

Jumanji

Wait what the fuck there is a jumanji sequel?

I need to find this

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jurassic park is the best action movie of the 90's.

Best Sci-Fi.

T2 is best action.

• Options

I do not care for starship troopers

mainly because it was shot on filmstock that bothers me

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

Jumanji

I need to find this

I think it was about space?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular

Jumanji

I need to find this

zathura

both had books

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

what?

I don't get it like, what's so bothersome about a film being on the medium you put films on

• Options
    Starship troopers 3 is hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKPfjSLtVhA

• Options
    starship troopers the CGI cartoon was better

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I got a DVD box set of all 3 of the movies and only made it through one and a half of them

a couple days later we watched the third one and just kind of sat in awed silence through the whole thing

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Antimatter wrote: »

Jumanji

I need to find this

zathura

both had books

Yeah it was basically the same story but with a space-themed board game instead of jungle adventure.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Also, I would like to say that the scene where Alan tricks Sara into rolling the dice is one of my favorite moments with Robin Williams, ever.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited April 2012

what?

I don't get it like, what's so bothersome about a film being on the medium you put films on

different filmstock gives a film different visual qualities

it's generally very, very subtle

typically it's just a matter of fidelity - compare any modern film with a sitcom and you'll see what I'm talking about right away

also, british television is visually distinct from american television for this reason, because they use a different filmstock as their standard

starship troopers was filmed on a "cooler" filmstock than is typical for hollywood films

so everything is just a tad blueshifted

and this irritates me

it's entirely subjective, obviously, and I'm not saying it's a bad film

I just don't care for it

(I have no idea how digital recording deals with this, but it's probably something they can just set on the camera before they start recording, or maybe they do it in post, I don't know)

edit: oh and "filmstock" refers to the physical film that a move is recorded on, if that wasn't clear

Shorty on
  • Options
    Predator 2 suffers really badly from its setting.

I like the predator, and the Danny Glover bits. But the far flung future of 1997 with no petrol ruled by Rastafarian drug lords seemed a bit silly.