As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles] The Incredible Shulk MARK YOUR GODDAMN SPOILERS

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    ...Man, Ertyh Sea at dusk is really pretty

dN0T6ur.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    The characters level up at almost the same rate regardless of if they are used in battle or not. a character I never used was like, 5 levels behind at the end of the game

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I am starting this game again soon and am excited for the sequel!

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Sharla just joined the party

Still digging this game

I am basically just flailing around in combat at all times though.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Taya wrote: »
    I bought this game when it first came out and every few months I play for like 40 hours and I'm still not even close to finished.

This right here

This is me, except I got Xenoblade when I got a Wii U.

Thetheroo on
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Uggghhh, I'm so far into the game and still haven't beat it. I need to pull it out again. I'm at
    Climbing up the Mechon, haven't gotten to the capital yet.
    So I gotta be nearing the end.

Concerning masks
    So was Melia not wearing her mask on the subjugation mission for any particular reason? Is it just that she prefers to go without it most of the time and only has to wear it around Entia who waren't part of the royal household?

Also that boss fight where the Monado does literally nothing holy shit

dN0T6ur.png
    Wyborn wrote: »
    ...Man, Ertyh Sea at dusk is really pretty

I think my favorite night place might be the snow mountain at night (Mt Valek?) Not to mention the amazing night music there.

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Concerning masks
    So was Melia not wearing her mask on the subjugation mission for any particular reason? Is it just that she prefers to go without it most of the time and only has to wear it around Entia who waren't part of the royal household?

Also that boss fight where the Monado does literally nothing holy shit

i think its that

as to the boss fight

yeah that one got me so mad, especially realizing i could have just switched out shulk and stubbornly refused to

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Wyborn is heropon's sidekick.

This game's cutscenes remain a cut above my expectations for cutscenes in games outside of very few. Action choreography's great, which isn't something you see in a lot of real-time sequences, especially on the Wii

mid-game
    Watching the Faced Mechon squadron do battle with those giant air whales is rad

But as to Nemesis Face, I have had a feeling since they were putting her together that SilverWind was right about her identity

dN0T6ur.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Oh hey it's a Xenoblade thread

Yes I am excited to hear your reactions to the coming parts wyborn

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Jesus, the Nopon village is enormous

Getting all the quests in here must be a nightmare

It's the worst

The god damn worst

Alcamoth (High Entia City) isn't much better, but at least it doesn't have 500 different levels.

Hooooooo

I've played enough I can't really comment on it all so I'm going to comment in small chunks

I think I've broken the chain attack system wide open
    Since each successive hit off of similarly-colored arts increases power by a huge amount, Back Slash -> Hammer Blow -> Headshot -> BUSTER -> SWORD BURST against a faced Mechon is really all she wrote. If I replace Sharla with a character who has more than one Red Art, like say Dunban, then that chain could get truly well good god damn ridiculous. Could any single enemy stand up to seven or eight consecutively more powerful red arts? I don't think they could.

This is my strategy for bosses that need to be killed in single stages, I think. Raise arts, focus arts, obliterate

Regarding Alcamoth
    Wow, so this place is kind of like the Citadel, only... bigger, really. It follows the pattern set by the Eryth Sea in that it's got a lot of empty space, but this feels a bit different in that it's nominally lived in

This isn't unreasonable, I don't think. Alcamoth is sized to be lived in by Telethia, and it gives the impression that it was once inhabited by them

Regarding plot (mid-game, MAJOR-ASS spoilers)
    Oh man

Fiora, man, what the Hell

So I take it that the "soul transfer" that took place when Nemesis was being built had nothing to do with transferring Fiora's consciousness into the Mechon shell, because whoever is flying around in Fiora's body has knowledge she wouldn't have, and memory that goes back long enough to know Zanza.

Speaking of, Zanza himself mentions wielding the Monado to defeat the Mechonis. But we know the Bionis is the one to actually carry out the battle. Is Zanza the Bionis? No, otherwise he would be a figure of more reverence, or at least more fear. Is the Bionis itself a giant organic machine, which Zanza took control of to do battle with the Mechonis? But then, what force drives the Mechonis?

Zanza mentions that the faced Mechon exist "outside the established harmony," which I'm assuming means outside the dichotomy of mechanical and organic beings. Is this a law being enforced on some higher level?

What the fuck is Alvis's sinister-ass deal? How does he know Zanza? Who is the force possessing Fiora's body? Why is Metal Face still possessed of the personality of Dunban's old squadmate? What is the real nature of the Bionis?

I know I don't have all of my party members yet, there are too many gaps in the Heart-to-Heart list otherwise. If not for Riki and Melia I'd say we're too far in to be introducing new squaddies, but

Now I wonder, and think of the woman who's wearing Fiora's face

dN0T6ur.png
    ok wyborn lemme just ask you now that you've reached it
    how radical was that scene where shulk just goes full revenge mode and the Monado goes all super saiyan and you get to fucking dump on metal face

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Oh gosh, Wyborn

I am loving all the speculation you're doing.

It's delightful.

IKknkhU.gif
    ok wyborn lemme just ask you now that you've reached it
    how radical was that scene where shulk just goes full revenge mode and the Monado goes all super saiyan and you get to fucking dump on metal face

Well let me tell you
    That shit was pretty sickhouse, but all the cutscenes in this game have been sickhouse so far. This one in particular though, you could believe all the shit that's been said about the Monado, about the capacity that it has, how its capacity is tied to Shulk

One thing, though, about Shulk - about everyone, really

Shulk is revenge-driven. He holds revenge as more important than duty, more important than protecting people, more important than.... well, it's his goal, his gaes, his everything. And he drags Melia into it too, convincing her to walk away from the crown for a year because vengeance is what matters most

Where are you going, Shulk

How far will I have to watch you fall? And how far will you go before Reyn has to pull you out?

But seriously, the action sequences in this game

Most other RPGs - hell, the other Project Rainfall games - would use FMVs and still not look as good or convincing as the real-time action cutscenes in this

It's really something that continuously surprises me

dN0T6ur.png
    Yeah they are rad and mostly just get radder

Also, that was sort of an end of act 1 type situation

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    I am 30 hours into this game how can that be the end of act 1

It felt like an end of act 2!!!
    Seriously that was some intense Empire Strikes Back shit

dN0T6ur.png
    well, the 3 act division is more story than gameplay, act 3 would be pretty short

The actual half way mark is probably in an area or two

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Hm actually this game fits way better into 5 acts if you make prison island end of act 2

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Also Riki in medium armor - specifically the Mythril Set - is adorable

dN0T6ur.png
    edited June 2014
    Also also what's the name of that song that plays whenever something important and dramatic is happening? Its usual accompaniment is Shulk totally losing his shit

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    edited June 2014
    Also also what's the name of that song that plays whenever something important and dramatic is happening? Its usual accompaniment is Shulk totally losing his shit

Confrontation with the Enemy. I love this song.

Edit: Usually preceded or followed by One Who Gets in Our Way

Syphyre on
    xenoblades biggest crime is that unfinished battle is used ONCE

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Have I heard it yet?

dN0T6ur.png
    Competely random comment...I had to go so far into the game before I started getting outfits that actually put Melia in something other than a pallete swap. I wonder if I just missed some.

Have I heard it yet?

plays in the scene after ether mines, iirc

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    Oh yeah, that song's rad as shit
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Competely random comment...I had to go so far into the game before I started getting outfits that actually put Melia in something other than a pallete swap. I wonder if I just missed some.

At that point in the game, the Makna outfits, Panther outfits, and pretty much anything which will make you feel ashamed to put Sharla in it because for some reason the designers felt like she needed to look like she just stopped sunning at a resort in Brazil constantly, will get you a different outfit for Melia

Also I'm imaging medium armor looks different on her too but who would want that

dN0T6ur.png
    Yeah, Sharla's outfits are definitely eye candy. On the other hand, Reyn's are wanting to turn him into a mech.

edited June 2014
    edit for huge

SCREECH OF THE FARG on
    gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited June 2014
    Sharla has a few heavy armor sets that look good other than the unfortunate amounts of midriff.

But yeah, that is a problem with her. Eventually you get a set near the end game that is just a palette swap of the starter gear and I left her in that.

(Dunban on the other hand was in the swimming gear with glasses for every cutscene during act 3)

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Melia is fun to use. I control her more often than the other characters.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
    "Zanza is not dead."

FFFUUUUUUUUUUU
    "Why do I have feelings for the boy?"

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
    "I wish to meet the boy."

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
    "I know you. You're Dunban's little sister."

dN0T6ur.png
    Taya wrote: »
    Melia is fun to use. I control her more often than the other characters.

I control her a lot too

She can do huge Ether DPS but I find that the computer isn't nearly as good at it as I am

dN0T6ur.png
    the computer isn't mean enough to exploit summon bolt

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So uh

I am getting pretty discouraged here

I'm in the Gaur Plains trying to go rescue Sharla's brother and everywhere I go I am getting my ass kicked despite being around the same level as the monsters

Most of it is due to the game throwing huge crowds at me when I have like two AoE attacks

CYpGAPn.png