As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xenoblade Chronicles] The Incredible Shulk MARK YOUR GODDAMN SPOILERS

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Also, if boss fights are getting trivial then definitely put a stop to side quests. It'd be nice if levels scaled, but an intense fight in Xenoblade is miles more exciting than finding/killing 5 things over and over again.

As far as the MMO elements go I still think the combat is really engaging - every character is unique with their combat strategy and customizable moveset, to some extent. I wish more characters got a move that could trigger break, it's not crucial but it informed my team makeup when I switched things up for variety.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The combat design is fine. If anything, it's a good example of how MMO combat can be well-done. But I'd say the game is also a good example of how the MMO side quest system is deeply flawed.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I really need to get some component cables for this wii. Or whatever cables make it look better because I am using the default ones and this is so blurry and terrible. I'm assuming it would look slightly better than this with said cables

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Is there a way to change your active quest to a side quest so you get the arrow pointing you at the place?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    (Tephra Cave)
    God damn it yes Shulk you should warn your best buddy about the giant spider that's about to fuck him up what the hell is wrong with you

sig.gif
  • Options
    Seeing screenshots of this game in Dolphin makes me very sad.

Hoping component cables make stuff better whenever I get around to picking them up

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Chris Kluwe has some opinions about this video gabe
    Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazing game. The characters are engaging, the storyline is epic, and the fresh combat blends MMO style cooldowns with the feel of an old-school, turn-based RPG.

However.

The graphics. Dear god, the graphics. I can’t decide whether the technical capabilities of the Wii make me want to projectile vomit or take a 12-gauge to my television, and it makes me angry enough to mail a severed unicorn head to Nintendo’s main office because this game deserves better. It deserves better than gasping fish mouths bobbing up and down through beautifully crafted dialogue. It deserves better than jagged edged fuzzy textures comprising a breathtaking landscape set within the body of a fallen god. IT DESERVES BETTER THAN WHAT YOU’VE FORCED THIS GAME TO BE, NINTENDO.

<deep breath>

I honestly believe that Xenoblade Chronicles could have been this generation’s Final Fantasy VII. Not since I was a child have I been as absorbed by a world; not since the heyday of JRPG’s during the SNES era have I spent my time away from a game solely consumed by thoughts of playing that game, anxiously awaiting whatever new plot wrinkle might be revealed. This game is that good, and it does it all in spite of the absolute turd monster of a graphics engine the Wii poops out on screen.

I have to commend the folks at Monolith Soft. They’ve done the best they can with what they have available, and you can see the vision they’re so desperately trying to make a reality. The ideas on display in Xenoblade Chronicles are nothing short of amazing. We’re talking Shadows of the Colossus crossed with Final Fantasy amazing. Unfortunately, and through no fault of Monolith Soft, the Wii laughs at their dreams. It takes those dreams and flushes them down the toilet of GameCube-era hardware Nintendo likes to call cutting edge.

I for one am sick and tired of it. I’m tired of Nintendo having these awesome franchises and brilliant developers and shafting them with an absolute garbage can of a system. I’m tired of seeing Mario relegated to kitschy ideas because there’s no horsepower under the Wii’s hood; I’m tired of seeing Link fighting through the Temple of Brown Textures and Jagged Edges; I’m tired of seeing games like Xenoblade Chronicles, games with a world vision that dwarfs the imagination and fills the mind with awe-inspiring jaw dropitude, get thrown under the bus by Nintendo insisting on Grandma Waggle Party IV as its core demographic.

So this is what I say to you Nintendo. It’s time to s*** or get off the pot. You used to be great at hardware; hell, you were one of the companies that STARTED video gaming as we know it. Remember the NES? Remember the Super Nintendo? Those were cutting edge systems, and you did great games the justice they deserved. In today’s world, technology has evolved to the point where it’s not acceptable anymore to give us dross when we know there exists the capability for diamonds. It’s not acceptable to shackle an obviously talented team like Monolith Soft to the ball and chain of the Wii because you want to sell waggle. Either take your hardware seriously, or get out of the game entirely and let those more capable take over.

I’m asking, no, I’m begging you, Nintendo. Cut those shackles. Let Mario, let Link, let our beloved heroes of youth soar like we know they can. Let us visit the worlds they deserve to inhabit.

Chris "Warcraft" Kluwe is the Minnesota Vikings' punter, Tripping Icarus' bass player, and Andrew Reiner's hand model.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/04/25/why-xenoblade-chronicles-makes-me-want-to-punch-a-kitten.aspx

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Not that I disagree with him, but is he aware that Nintendo is releasing a new system soon?

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    While I can understand how he feels he needs to keep in mind that they may not have been able to afford creating a much more advanced version of the same game world.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think, due to technical limitations (probably) or just because they are Nintendo, the art style in a lot of their games tends to work in low-res and terrible graphics. So they usually look pretty okay.

The downside though, is that with just a little bit more processing power, these games, with the same assets and everything, could look amazing.

Like I am not frothing at the mouth about this or anything, I am just kind of sad that I am playing this game that has a bunch of amazing stuff going on, but at times it is hard to see what is going on, on my HDTV due to all of the blurriness and jagged edges. When I know it can look downright fantastic.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75487

Oh man, maybe the Wii U will upscale the wii games to HD?

edit: dammit, a quick googling says: No

Artreus on
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Juju is a stupid name for a character and I laugh everytime someone says it.

• Options
    Has this guy seen either Mario Galaxy game? What about Skyward Sword? I don't disagree with his sentiment but his specific choice to point out Mario and Zelda as Wii graphical failures is kinda breathtaking.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also damn it I wish I had more time to play this, I'm only just barely past the Tephra Cave.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    or uh metroid prime 3

but anyway it's a dumb thing to say

it's not like Nintendo forced anyone to develop for the wii

• Options
    I want to get to a big plot dump because while I'm totally into the current characters' motivations, right now it sounds like not much more than a long-ass trek. I guess I wanna get to the top of the rollercoaster and start riding it down but it's hard to find free time to do that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I love @Chriswarcraft but

that's a silly thing he wrote

Chris, FF7 looked like garbage even for the time it was released. The environments were nigh on undiscernible. You know what hooked people? The gameplay, and to some extent the story (which I have my own opinions on).

It's the EXACT same thing here.

(I doubt he checks in here anymore but that's my two cents in case he does!)

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    or uh metroid prime 3

Well they forced Monolith to, considering Nintendo owns them.

sig.gif
  • Options
    yeah, that's a good point, FF7 looked like slapped ass outside of battle

• Options
    JRPGs have ALWAYS been about the gameplay and story*
    Some of them use interesting graphical style (persona series), but that's not what they're ABOUT

*provided you can stand a lot of silly archetypes and tropes

• Options
    Hullis wrote: »
    I love @Chriswarcraft but

that's a silly thing he wrote

Chris, FF7 looked like garbage even for the time it was released. The environments were nigh on undiscernible. You know what hooked people? The gameplay, and to some extent the story (which I have my own opinions on).

It's the EXACT same thing here.

(I doubt he checks in here anymore but that's my two cents in case he does!)

Well not exactly. I mean it didn't look as good as Mario 64, which was its most relevant contemporary, sure. But the battles (and the FMVs) looked amazing for 1997. Outside of battles, it looked average. The main thing about it is that it was the first time anyone had really done an RPG in 3D (watch as someone pulls an obscure game that came out on Saturn or something just to prove me wrong). It blew people away because it was the first of its kind. People came for the 3D, then they stayed for the story.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Some of them use interesting graphical style (persona series), but that's not what they're ABOUT

actually at this point I'd make the argument that Final Fantasy is way more about graphics than anything else

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    or uh metroid prime 3

Well they forced Monolith to, considering Nintendo owns them.

ah, my mistake

• Options

actually at this point I'd make the argument that Final Fantasy is way more about graphics than anything else

I played the more recent ones for their methods of character progression, personally

sphere grid, license board

that's mah shit

• Options
    I'd argue that graphics were a major selling point/dev focus in only some of the FFs (7, 8, 10 and 13 specifically). The rest focused on other matters.

sig.gif
  • Options

I played the more recent ones for their methods of character progression, personally

sphere grid, license board

that's mah shit

...neither of those are recent, though

• Options
    Well the only "recent ones" are 13 and 14 and those flopped for a number of reasons

• Options
    13 still sold gangbusters. 4th best-selling in the series, after only 7, 10 and 8.

sig.gif
  • Options
    haha, yeah, and XIII-2 has sold like utter shite, like it deserves

XIII sold on the strength of its graphics and when people actually became acquainted with the game it became clear that it sucked

so when XIII-2 came out and promised more of the same, nobody was fooled

• Options
    Well the only "recent ones" are 13 and 14 and those flopped for a number of reasons

14 isn't a proper FF game

basically I'm talking about XIII and XIII-2

both are garbage outside of their graphics

• Options
    Ouch, yeah, XIII-2 barely cleared 2 million units, I just looked it up (XIII-1 made about 6.6 million). Bunch of contributing factors there though (dissatisfaction with XIII-1, JRPG fatigue, came out in the slow season (though that should have helped with no competition around), association with X-2)

sig.gif
  • Options
    Well the bummer about all of those Wii games is that with just a little bit more power, they look really fucking fantastic instead of just pretty good.

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    I think, due to technical limitations (probably) or just because they are Nintendo, the art style in a lot of their games tends to work in low-res and terrible graphics. So they usually look pretty okay.

The downside though, is that with just a little bit more processing power, these games, with the same assets and everything, could look amazing.

Like I am not frothing at the mouth about this or anything, I am just kind of sad that I am playing this game that has a bunch of amazing stuff going on, but at times it is hard to see what is going on, on my HDTV due to all of the blurriness and jagged edges. When I know it can look downright fantastic.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/75487

Oh man, maybe the Wii U will upscale the wii games to HD?

edit: dammit, a quick googling says: No

wait

I don't understand what's going on with this link

is this just what a standard screenshot would look like if it were in HD instead of 480p?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    The bad looking one is what it looks like on a wii, if you have a 1080p tv and have .. whatever the best looking connection from the wii to your tv is.

The second one is what it looks like on the Dolphin emulator in actual 1080p, with anti-aliasing. There are actually texture packs out there that make it look even better but that is straying too far into forbidden territory.

Basically, the point is that these games, at their foundation, look really good.

They are just hamstrung by the wii

Artreus on
  • Options
    ah, alright

yes that's pretty lame

• Options
    Holy mother of shit Bionis' leg is gargantuan. I was expecting every zone to be more or less the size of Colony 9 but this might be just about the single largest map I've ever seen in a non-open-world game. It makes WoW zones look tiny. Is it the only one that's this huge? Like is it this game's Hyrule Field? Or are there more like it? Because fuck.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    I really need to get some component cables for this wii. Or whatever cables make it look better because I am using the default ones and this is so blurry and terrible. I'm assuming it would look slightly better than this with said cables

yes, component cables

and yeah, it's better

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Holy mother of shit Bionis' leg is gargantuan. I was expecting every zone to be more or less the size of Colony 9 but this might be just about the single largest map I've ever seen in a non-open-world game. It makes WoW zones look tiny. Is it the only one that's this huge? Like is it this game's Hyrule Field? Or are there more like it? Because fuck.

there are several more of comparable size, and one or two larger.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Alrighty, I think I will swing by a place and pick some up later today

• Options

there are several more of comparable size, and one or two larger.

Holy shit.

If there's anything that excuses the graphics, it's that. The draw distance is also phenomenal.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh yeah the world stuff is really fantastic. I love it.

It just takes me out of the experience when I get out into a grassy field and fight some things and can barely see what is even happening