As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Video Game Kickstarter Thread

RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    All I know is that I'm going to have to get very selective in what Kickstarters to join because it seems there will be a lot of them and so far I'm liking the sound of a pretty big percentage of them.

Still hoping for Elite 3 to make it's way to Kickstarter though, my wallet be damned.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Most of those interest me, or I'll be chipping in on.

Except Map Monsters, because fuck you and asking for people to help you make a F2P game you're going to have a cash shop in. I don't care how 'cool' it sounds. That's just insulting on some level.

steam_sig.png
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Oh shit RD, thanks for linking Spriter. I'd forgotten about it, and it's one I'm really looking forward to.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Banner Saga looks absolutely fucking incredible, and as soon as I can scrape together fifty bucks I'm probably going to throw it at them.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

Except Map Monsters, because fuck you and asking for people to help you make a F2P game you're going to have a cash shop in. I don't care how 'cool' it sounds. That's just insulting on some level.

Looks like most people agree with you because its funding level doesn't seem to be moving much.

I think it's interesting that the kickstarters that feel like they're focused more on kickstarting the company than the specific project (like the Jane Jensen one or the Vic Ireland one) aren't finding much success even when the individual in question has a reputation.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Looks like most people agree with you because its funding level doesn't seem to be moving much.

I think it's interesting that the kickstarters that feel like they're focused more on kickstarting the company than the specific project (like the Jane Jensen one or the Vic Ireland one) aren't finding much success even when the individual in question has a reputation.

I think they suffer for not having a clear, concise message that they're getting across.

Especially in the case of Vic Ireland's, shit, I saw some people read over it and still not know what the fuck the Kickstarter was for.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    These kickstarters will be the goddamned death of me. I'm glad that Richard Garfield one is unappealing and short on details or I'd be out even more money....

@RainbowDespair, you should link a few "famous" game kickstarters like Double Fine's and your own. You know, for history.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Aura tactics is funded, but the concept still appeals to me. I need more SRPGs in my life. So many good projects floating around kickstarter still.

steam_sig.png
    Iolo wrote: »
    These kickstarters will be the goddamned death of me. I'm glad that Richard Garfield one is unappealing and short on details or I'd be out even more money....

@RainbowDespair, you should link a few "famous" game kickstarters like Double Fine's and your own. You know, for history.

I don't think it's OP worthy, but here's the kickstarter we did - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/744735150/cthulhu-saves-the-world-enhanced-version-for-pc-an

And here's the Double Fine one - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/66710809/double-fine-adventure

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    This one has an interesting concept. I'm keeping an eye on it.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
    edited April 2012
    This one has an interesting concept. I'm keeping an eye on it.

That's got crooked all over it.

About $50,000 of its current $55,000 funding is being provided by 2 people. Chances are 2 people involved with the game's creation pledged a huge amount in an attempt to make it look more successful than it actually is.

Game looks really amateurish.

RainbowDespair on
    I know I've always wanted to play a game that looks like what the 'How to draw manga' kids doodled in 8th grade. You could call it a dream I've always held close, yet never thought would come to fruition.

steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I personally would like to see Jane Jensen's kickstarter succeed, even if it is kind of oddly constructed.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    Sorry, I should clarify - the concept of an episodic RPG released weekly in interesting. Everything else does look pretty lame.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    For fun and excitement I think it's worth comparing that space tactics game I just posted about with this one. The first game (Vigrior) has gameplay videos, screenshots, talk about the game mechanics and the development process, the engine, the team, and why they need the money/what it will be used for. They want $12k.

The second game (Starlight Inception™) has vague info about what kind of game they want to make (a space sim I think), bios for two people and promises to hire more with the money they will get from the Kickstarter, pictures of the mugs, T-Shirts, sweatshirts, and so on you can get with your pledge, and quotes from a bunch of random people about how the game is going to be awesome. And they put a ™ in their title. And they want $150k.

The first has raised $3k and the second has raised $4k.

I wonder what accounts for the difference in money raised. (The first game started earlier so it has a head start, but less money.) Random "who has seen the Kickstarter" stuff? Connections and/or PR skill on the part of the devs of the second game? The difference in genres (strategy vs. some sort of sim/strategy)? Richer backers (game #2 doesn't have too many more supporters, just more $ per supporter)? Something else?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    For fun and excitement I think it's worth comparing that space tactics game I just posted about with this one. The first game (Vigrior) has gameplay videos, screenshots, talk about the game mechanics and the development process, the engine, the team, and why they need the money/what it will be used for. They want $12k.

I think vigrior's tiers are oddly worded, for one. Almost seems to come on too strong.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I already did the Double Fine kickstarter.

Just went through and did Banner Saga, Wasteland 2, and Shadowrun.

figure these are all games I'd likely buy anyway. Why not go ahead and support them now and make sure they actually happen.

• TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Holy shit, I'm the art director for this game! If anyone needs any information on it, ask away and I'll answer as best I can.

I think vigrior's tiers are oddly worded, for one. Almost seems to come on too strong.
    That's our engine coder doing what he does best: sound like a raging marketeer. I only had a hand in the first two paragraphs for our pitch, hopefully I was able to tone those down enough d:

TheExAm on
    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • mercenarymercenary Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012
    TheExAm wrote: »

Holy shit, I'm the art director for this game! If anyone needs any information on it, ask away and I'll answer as best I can.

That's our engine coder doing what he does best: sound like a raging marketeer. I only had a hand in the first two paragraphs for our pitch, hopefully I was able to tone those down enough d:

Ok ok ok, I'm done doing the Billy Mays thing.

Let's see you try to top my recent op in France! "Art Director" :P

mercenary on
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    My title is tongue in cheek and you know it, pal. I take my non-seriousness very seriously.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
    Trey Parker and Matt Stone had it right about comedy, can't take it too seriously.

Same deal goes for game development, and kickstarter pitches :D

• plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Thanks for starting this thread rainbow!

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    plufim wrote: »
    Thanks for starting this thread rainbow!

Indeed. Thank you for mentioning us in here as well :)

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I personally would like to see Jane Jensen's kickstarter succeed, even if it is kind of oddly constructed.

She should have just gone with Mobius first and then the others instead of giving a choice but also present more about the game.

*Spiritual Successor to Gabriel Knight Kickstarter* would have gotten the monnies in faster.

That said I still see her Kickstarter succeding and all other current *popular dev* projects as well. It just won't be as overwhelmingly big as Wasteland 2 and Double Fine were. People probably won't go out anymore pledging $1000+ but I see more people pledge $15+ on more projects.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Kickstarting is going to get too saturated if they don't watch it.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Here's an example of an interesting indie project with a good video that they otherwise fucked up completely.

Long story short, they didn't explain what the hell they wanted to make. They spoke about their previous game (which was a puzzle game, some games they liked and then said they'd make some kind of Zelda R-Type hybrid). Now, to their credit, they corrected this, they updated with some actual meat about the project, but it's too little too late.

I really hope that they work for a while on the project and then try again.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm usually very careful. I won't go throwing money at a Kickstarter unless the person behind it has some industry experience. It gets MORE complicated because I buy Pen and Paper RPGs via Kickstarter too and they have faster turn around times. So I do know they work, but sometimes no matter how good the name behind it is...they just don't sell me on the idea enough. Kickstarting has been around for ages in the mini's and boardgaming industry as well. But they call it Ransom there.

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ransomware is something different, Joe. That is when you take cash up front for a project with a goal in mind, once it's hit that goal and you've finished, you release the project for free.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    All I know is that I'm going to have to get very selective in what Kickstarters to join because it seems there will be a lot of them and so far I'm liking the sound of a pretty big percentage of them.

Still hoping for Elite 3 to make it's way to Kickstarter though, my wallet be damned.

I would kill for an Elite 3, but right now I'm pretty excited about http://0x10c.com/ which I hope will be everything I want from a space sim.

forumsig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    None of the current kickstarters really interest me that much. I think the Shadowrun one sounds cool, but that's only from the video and hearing him talk about it. I don't really have any experience with the Shadowrun world. Hopefully a lot more franchises start showing up, rather than more unheard of indie titles though.

I just don't want to see a lot of guys with no experience making games use kickstarter, get a ton of money, and then still make crappy games. I want to see more dead franchises come back, not some no name make a farm game or something. Like someone else said, I'm worried it'll get too saturated and then people will be less likely to give money away to the good kickstarters because they're burnt out on it or have been screwed over from giving to a hopeless cause.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    Thanks for making this thread, had actually just come on to the forums to see if there were any interesting Kickstarters going currently!

steam_sig.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I just had to fund Al Lowe. Especially after his portrayal of Sierra Online as a charred cityscape in that video.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Thanks for starting this thread, as it's nice to have all the Kickstartery goodness in one place.

So, I was that guy, the one person on Earth who didn't contribute to the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter. In my defense, I'm not a huge adventure game fan and I think Double Fine managed to squeak by without my $10.

On the other hand, I just jumped onto the cool kids train and ponied up $50 for the big box version of Wasteland 2 (honestly, mostly on the promise of Obsidian helping with the writing) and $15 for Shadowrun (since, despite my lack of experience with the PnP game, the idea of a turn-based, plot-driven RPG with uploadable player-created modules tickles my fancy quite a bit)

Now I'm just waiting for the supposed other Obsidian kickstarter project to show up (since I'm a fanboy), and for Dead State's kickstarter (since that seems to be the only way to prevent that game from languishing forever in development hell, and hey, it's the guy who wrote Bloodlines, so at least the writing won't suck).

• OrestusOrestus Registered User regular
    I finally bit the bullet and contributed to my first kickstarter with Shadowrun this morning; I think I'll end up at least supporting Wasteland 2 and The Banner Saga as well before they close.

Anyway I was browsing the "games" category afterwards and saw this one http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sandswept/the-dead-linger which looks like exactly what I want to play after I watch every episode of The Walking Dead.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Cracked.com superstar Brockway wrote an article about a few of the Kickstarter projects that've been going on, thought some people might like a read
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-amazing-indie-video-games-that-kickstarter-made-possible/

forumsig.png
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Guys, do you like Sherlock Holmes?

Seems to be a kickstarter to bring back some FMV adventure/puzzle games. They aren't asking for much too ($55K), and a measly $9 gets you all the releases. Worth supporting in my books, after all, who doesn't like a bit of detective mysteries?

steam_sig.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

The second game (Starlight Inception™) has vague info about what kind of game they want to make (a space sim I think), bios for two people and promises to hire more with the money they will get from the Kickstarter, pictures of the mugs, T-Shirts, sweatshirts, and so on you can get with your pledge, and quotes from a bunch of random people about how the game is going to be awesome. And they put a ™ in their title. And they want $150k.

The first has raised $3k and the second has raised $4k.

I wonder what accounts for the difference in money raised. (The first game started earlier so it has a head start, but less money.) Random "who has seen the Kickstarter" stuff? Connections and/or PR skill on the part of the devs of the second game? The difference in genres (strategy vs. some sort of sim/strategy)? Richer backers (game #2 doesn't have too many more supporters, just more $ per supporter)? Something else?

But man, that second game looks awesome! Even though it probably doesn't exist beyond a concept and a promo real!

And really, how can you not trust the man who brought us the (cutscenes in the) classic star wars games Masters of Teras Kasi and Rebel Assault II?

HadjiQuest on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Hey don't knock the dude, he also worked on Star Wars: Force Commander, which has the distinction of perhaps being the worst Star Wars RTS ever. If you think about the fact that all the other Star Wars RTS games aren't any good... well, at least Force Commander had an awesome soundtrack. Electronic remixes of Star Wars music = HOORAY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTMZuXOEl3c

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Wasn't Force Commander the one that re used the Ground Control 2 style mechanics? Because I hate those mechanics.

This discussion has been closed.