As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Video Game Kickstarter Thread

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Can anyone explain how Starlight Inception earned a zillion dollars by saying "we're going to make a space game oh whoops the Air Force is suing us over our logo here's some concept art" while Skyjacker can't earn a quarter of that despite having extensive gameplay footage? I suspect part of the answer is that people have unrealistic expectations of what Starlight Inception is going to be, so in their head they picture the perfect space sim even though it's coming out on the Playstation Vita and has a tiny budget and will probably look like shit, whereas when they see the actual work done on Skyjacker they say "eh, looks good, but not as good as Freespace 2" and decide not to fund it.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Starlight Inception only made 8'000 more than its goal with 158'000 and Skyjacker still has 14 days to go. Aside from that Inception had a lot of other things going for it too including having the guy who lead Star Wars Battlegrounds behind it.

It can still make its goal. Don't go into full frustration mode so early.

C2B on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Can anyone explain how Starlight Inception earned a zillion dollars by saying "we're going to make a space game oh whoops the Air Force is suing us over our logo here's some concept art" while Skyjacker can't earn a quarter of that despite having extensive gameplay footage? I suspect part of the answer is that people have unrealistic expectations of what Starlight Inception is going to be, so in their head they picture the perfect space sim even though it's coming out on the Playstation Vita and has a tiny budget and will probably look like shit, whereas when they see the actual work done on Skyjacker they say "eh, looks good, but not as good as Freespace 2" and decide not to fund it.

Well, a few things:

1) I think providing game footage in your KS video is a good idea, but I don't think it's a good idea to provide ONLY game footage, with no explanation for what the funding is going to be used for, what the overall big picture for the game is, etc.

Also, that cut is way too long. They should've shown more than just one long engagement.

2) In my opinion, as a fan of lots of old space combat games, the footage shown in Skyjacker doesn't look fun. Obviously it's an early build, but I don't think that was a wise section of the build to feature on it's own. Like, those blue torpedoes that are being shot are point blank range into the capital ships don't feel meaty at all, and the HUD & associated UI - which is essential for any space combat game - is very unattractive.

3) Starlight Inception got by largely through the pedigree of it's author, who's a well known game designer.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting for everyone to get on Drifter, as it climbs ever-upwards.
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/celsiusgs/drifter-a-space-trading-game

Kickstart them space games, man.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The Ender wrote: »

Well, a few things:

1) I think providing game footage in your KS video is a good idea, but I don't think it's a good idea to provide ONLY game footage, with no explanation for what the funding is going to be used for, what the overall big picture for the game is, etc.

Also, that cut is way too long. They should've shown more than just one long engagement.

2) In my opinion, as a fan of lots of old space combat games, the footage shown in Skyjacker doesn't look fun. Obviously it's an early build, but I don't think that was a wise section of the build to feature on it's own. Like, those blue torpedoes that are being shot are point blank range into the capital ships don't feel meaty at all, and the HUD & associated UI - which is essential for any space combat game - is very unattractive.

3) Starlight Inception got by largely through the pedigree of it's author, who's a well known game designer.
    1) I mean, they also do all of that too.

2) It looks a heck of a lot better than:

3) The space combat game made by the guy behind Starlight Inception, which is Star Wars Battlefront, the game where you couldn't even fly upside down if you wanted to.

edit: hold on wait this guy wasn't behind Battlefront, he was behind Battlegrounds. The only space combat game he's ever worked on is Rebel Assault II. As an artist. That was an on-rails corridor shooter.

I definitely agree that the footage for Skyjacker doesn't look as good as Freespace 2. I'm just saying that there's no reason to think Starlight Inception, which is going to be locked into 3rd person and released on the Playstation Vita, is going to be meatier and feature a more attractive HUD/UI. Skyjacker looks about as good as space games generally look these days, and I have a feeling that Starlight Inception isn't going to end up looking much better.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »

To hell with the game, I just want that poster. Super pretty.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, and I almost totally forgot: TotalBiscuit's 'KickSmarter' episode mentioned Starlight Inception. I imagine this was pretty significant.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

To hell with the game, I just want that poster. Super pretty.

And I want the boxed copy, but it'd be $90 for me to get it :(

forumsig.png
  • Options

Uh. Is there more than one video? The one I'm watching shows the player basically engaged in a turkey shoot against some large capital ships, an occasional dogfight, and then a brief glimpse of some ship customization.

That's all perfectly fine, but there's absolutely no narration explaining what we're looking at / what the game features will be. Yes, all of that is explained in text, but gamers are ADD and don't like reading - everything the designer wrote on the KS page he should've explained in the video.

There's also probably a lot of behind the scenes marketing that the Starlight guys did & the Skyjacker guys haven't done (yet).

In any case, I hope they make their funding goal.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    Are there any sites that consistently do coverage of cool-looking kickstarters? I check this thread a lot to try to stay on top of things but having more sources of information couldn't hurt.

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    Oh, this looks neat.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/877610975/gunswords-tin-soldiers?ref=recently_launched

The thing that makes me on the fence about Drifter is that it looks like you keep the same spaceship throughout the game, just upgrading it's various subsystems.

I want to fly around in a terrible star shattering dreadnought after spending untold hours engaged in space piracy totally legitimate space trading.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Oh man, why did you post this? I have to donate!

AT THE $75 LEVEL

You know what, I am now regretting not doing wasteland at the $100 level. I want to be in as many kickstarters as possible as an NPC.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

$50 for this game too. I want more space goddamnit!

SPACE IS THE PLACE

http://youtu.be/WuI0_DqIJGc

mrt144 on
  • Options
    CGSColinCGSColin Registered User regular
    Oh, this looks neat.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/877610975/gunswords-tin-soldiers?ref=recently_launched

The thing that makes me on the fence about Drifter is that it looks like you keep the same spaceship throughout the game, just upgrading it's various subsystems.

I want to fly around in a terrible star shattering dreadnought after spending untold hours engaged in space piracy totally legitimate space trading.

Hey! Guy Making Drifter here o/ It's not the same ship. There will be lots to buy in the game, even more if the Kickstarter is successful :)

Por example:
    http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/images/screenshots/dev/egret.png
    http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/images/screenshots/dev/bigship1.png
    http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/images/screenshots/dev/kodiak.png

Also, with all the responses I'm getting about Steve's poster design I figure if this whole "videogames" thing doesn't work out I'll team up with him and sell his art online ;)

http://celsiusgs.com/ - There's a vicious rumor floating around saying that I make video games.
  • Options
    edit: hold on wait this guy wasn't behind Battlefront, he was behind Battlegrounds. The only space combat game he's ever worked on is Rebel Assault II. As an artist. That was an on-rails corridor shooter.

He also was a writer on rebel assault. Doesn't matter. Point is he had a pedigree regarding games which (is one part of) explains why they got funded.

Seriously dude, useless "Your kickstarter is better than mine" discussion aren't worth crap. Especially in situations like these

14 days

14 days are left for Skyjacker. In the same amount of time Republique got around 300'000 in funding out of nowhere. It's seriously early to get frustrated and blame stuff. Take a breath and do your best to help promote Skyjacker. Helps way more.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

That looks right up my alley. From what we've seen so far, though, backers on Kickstarter don't seem too enthusiastic about backing F2P model games. I'll keep an eye on it, but am highly unlikely to chip in.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    CGSColin wrote: »
    Oh, this looks neat.

Hey! Guy Making Drifter here o/ It's not the same ship. There will be lots to buy in the game, even more if the Kickstarter is successful :)

Por example:
    http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/images/screenshots/dev/egret.png
    http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/images/screenshots/dev/bigship1.png
    http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/images/screenshots/dev/kodiak.png

Also, with all the responses I'm getting about Steve's poster design I figure if this whole "videogames" thing doesn't work out I'll team up with him and sell his art online ;)

It is a really nice poster. I'm pretty sure that'll tip my girlfriend into allowing me to spring for the $50/$60 tier.

forumsig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

Well, a few things:

2) It looks a heck of a lot better than:

3) The space combat game made by the guy behind Starlight Inception, which is Star Wars Battlefront, the game where you couldn't even fly upside down if you wanted to.

I definitely agree that the footage for Skyjacker doesn't look as good as Freespace 2. I'm just saying that there's no reason to think Starlight Inception, which is going to be locked into 3rd person and released on the Playstation Vita, is going to be meatier and feature a more attractive HUD/UI. Skyjacker looks about as good as space games generally look these days, and I have a feeling that Starlight Inception isn't going to end up looking much better.

No idea what you've got against the Starlight Inception guys but uh, they only just made their goal in the last couple of days and even then, Skyjacker's goal is $50k more than it. And yeah, of course someone with a good legacy in and around a genre will do better than a group that doesn't, you may as well start questioning why Wasteland 2 did better than it.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    RPS even just made an article about Skyjacker.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/17/so-skyjackers-space-combat-looks-impressive/

14 days. As said two times before. There's still a reasonable chance its going to make it.

• Options
    Games like skyjacker make me want to get a mic and a vocoder so I can be a cylon

• Options
    edited May 2012
    kickstarter.com/projects/gozergames/titans-of-industry-board-game?ref=category

I just want to say fuck this game for incorporating art deco and chinchillas, two of my favorite things. I'm on a kickstarter binge.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    The reason Skyjacker isn't getting its funding is because it has reward tiers like this:
    You are a pirate in your soul, but you like to smash the planetary colonies and to brag about your belonging to the pirate brotherhood? He-he ... we knew that! Get the ADVANCED PLANETARY CAMPAIGNS EDITION, which includes: the SPECIAL EDITION of the game (DRM-free digital downloadable version) on PC or Mac, with movie intro, multiple video-cuts during the game, and other aesthetic in-game add-ons + one totally cool, exclusive desktop PLANETARY BATTLE WALLPAPER (different from ALL previous rewards tier) for your PC, Mac, tablet or mobile device + ADDITIONAL SET OF MISSIONS similar to pledge $40 tier (SPECIAL PLANETARY CAMPAIGNS EDITION) + T-SHIRT with an emblem of race - Balagores - the most pirate race in the game (check the art to the left), designed exclusively for the Kickstarter campaign (check examples of the art to the left - RACE EMBLEM T-Shirts) + a limited edition print of the game POSTER in full size (36" x 24") + special thanks in the form of game’s credits + Digital soundtrack and PDF version of the SKYJACKER Art Book (These items are exclusive to the campaign and will be shipped for free in the US. Please add funds to your pledge for international shipping according to the price calculator at http://ircalc.usps.com/)

Who wants to read all that?

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    The reason Skyjacker isn't getting its funding

Apparently I like repeating myself so here it goes: WE DON'T KNOW THAT.

Though, I agree that the rewards are bad. But not because the reward tiers are too big but certain in game elements (like cutscenes) are held hostage at certain tiers.

C2B on
  • Options
    Sorry, my language wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean "isn't getting its funding" in a Class of Heroes no-freaking-way way. I was referring to it's slow crawl towards its funding goal. In that post, I meant "isn't getting its funding" at breakneck speed. Apologies for the bad writing.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    Sorry, my language wasn't clear enough. I didn't mean "isn't getting its funding" in a Class of Heroes no-freaking-way way. I was referring to it's slow crawl towards its funding goal. In that post, I meant "isn't getting its funding" at breakneck speed. Apologies for the bad writing.

No problem. Though, I think people should be aware that projects like Double Fine and Wasteland 2 will be an exception, not the rule. On both these cases the strong response had a lot to do with excitement. Now, there will be a lot of people that are going to "wait and see" if their donation is even needed. Which is also why I think such last week bumps aren't going to go away soon. (Popular) Projects will still get funded, just not by 200+%.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Well, I caved and jumped onto the Grim Dawn bandwagon before it closed. The open world aspect, along with a few other features, was too much of a draw for me. Between D3, TL2, and now GD, my ARPG itch more be more than scratched in the end.

• Options
    The Pinkerton Road Kickstarter by Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight) is in its last 16 hours. Please contribute and get one of the best writers in the industry back to designing adventure games again.

:)

Here's an invite
    You’re Invited to the Pinkerton Road

Kickstarter Countdown Party!

Pinkerton Road forum, Countdown Party thread
    http://forum.pinkertonroad.com/showthread.php?55-Kickstarter-Countdown-Party-Thread

Time:

9-10am EST Saturday, May 19, 2012 (thread opens at 8am)

Please Register:

You must be a registered member of the forum to post, so please set your registration up early. Visit:

http://forum.pinkertonroad.com/

Featuring:

· Jane Jensen and Robert Holmes will be on the thread for the duration

· We’ll post a countdown update every 5 minutes along with some cool image from Jane’s game archives

· Forum members can post ONE image as ‘inspiration’ for Pinkerton Road’s upcoming games, whether it’s just a spooky or evocative image, a picture of a place that would make a good game location, a good luck wish, whatever you like. (Please don’t post full game or story ideas. Please don’t post anything lewd, inappropriate or pornographic.)

Thank you for supporting Pinkerton Road. See you there!

Jane Jensen

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    I'd jump on Grimdawn, if it was a flat $15 instead of $18.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I want a game where you have to try and photograph Jane Jensen when her hands aren't crossed.

• Options
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    While it's nice that you started to do a roundup of kickstarters like you should of done in the first place, RPS...
    And you can also note that almost all of them aren’t pledging to Kick It Forward, which completely sucks, so you should get in touch with them all and yell at them.
    ...is not exactly cool.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al Baron wrote: »
    While it's nice that you started to do a roundup of kickstarters like you should of done in the first place, RPS...
    And you can also note that almost all of them aren’t pledging to Kick It Forward, which completely sucks, so you should get in touch with them all and yell at them.
    ...is not exactly cool.

RPS reporting regarding Kickstarter has been mostly terrible so far. I think they made a similiar dumb remark in an earlier article.

It's also kinda missing the point of kickingitforward and is poisonus to the whole initiative.

• Options
    C2B wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »
    ...is not exactly cool.

RPS reporting regarding Kickstarter has been mostly terrible so far. I think they made a similiar dumb remark in an earlier article.

It's also kinda missing the point of kickingitforward and is poisonus to the whole initiative.

Also about half of those are actually pledging to Kick It Forward. John simply failed to notice.

C2B is definitely right: when it comes to Kickstarter, RPS is really faceplanting.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    It really shows one major problem with the whole Kickstartermania though. Due to limited budgets most of the promotion of these kickstarters is done by backers. And backers are just your everyday fans.

You have your positive examples there (I said it before, but the Sierra Fans really organize some incredible stuff), but also your really negative ones where people are guilted or "forced" into contributing.

On another note: Skyjacker has revised their reward tiers. I still have some issues with them (There should be something north of $500), but they are more sensible now. Hopefully backers will come.

C2B on
  • Options
    p0hhR.jpg

• Options
    That is awesome.

• Options
    Wow, that truly is. Tip of the hat, random Utah fan.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    karaokelovekaraokelove IowaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    edit: realized I need to get permission from the mods first...

karaokelove on
  • Options
    Drifter is just a little over $6k short of hitting its mark!

forumsig.png
This discussion has been closed.