As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Official Video Game Kickstarter Thread

• DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    It's already been mentioned in it's own thread, but Banner Saga has a little less than a day left, and if they get another 100k, they plan on adding player-owned upgradable cities to multiplayer. From there you'll be able to customize the city, recruit units, and send out longships to find items. It sounds cool and I want it.

kickstarter.com/projects/stoic/the-banner-saga/posts

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    Oops, that's what I meant.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    I'm glad the orchestra is fully funded. That's pretty nifty.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    C2B wrote: »

Just hit $100k of the $280k goal. Have to say, I'm surprised this one hasn't taken off more. The actual gameplay plus Titan Quest pedigree seems rock solid to me, maybe even more than something than Banner Saga which looks lovely but is mostly art at this point. Hmm...

Well, the thing is it's got terrible timing. With Diablo 3 and Torchlight 2 just around the corner, most people aren't going to get too excited about another hack & slash RPG coming out, especially when it won't come out for another year or two.

I hope it does really well though. I liked Titan's Quest far more than Diablo 2 & Torchlight 1.

Yeah, the timing is pretty bad, but then again Crate has been plugging away for 2+ years developing Grim Dawn part-time, so I can't blame them for not being able to beat Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 out of the gate. The time lapse does make the "we've licensed the Titan Quest engine" claim less of an incentive and more of a threat, though.

I'm certainly expecting Grim Dawn to hit the base funding goal, but I'm not expecting the same scale of additional funding that other projects have received. Which is a bit of a bummer, since I like some of the more plot-focused features they're promising.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Both Sierra Kickstarters only have around $100'000 to go to meet their goal. So, it's pretty safe to assume that both are going to make it.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1005365109/jane-jensens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg?ref=category
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leisuresuitlarry/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again?ref=live

C2B on
    Not a video game, but video game releated. Kickstarter for Nuka Break's second season

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/waysidecreations/fallout-nuka-break-season-2-0?ref=card

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm utterly amazed that Yogventures got funded. Two guys who make minecraft youtube videos are going to pay another indie studio to make them a minecraft clone more focused on making videos.

Not only because I was fairly sure that kickstarter only allows US projects, and those guys are from Bristol, but because it's all just so flimsy. And now they've got a quarter of a million dollars.

I wonder if this is going to be the highly funded project which collapses first.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    It's already been mentioned in it's own thread, but Banner Saga has a little less than a day left, and if they get another 100k, they plan on adding player-owned upgradable cities to multiplayer. From there you'll be able to customize the city, recruit units, and send out longships to find items. It sounds cool and I want it.

I may be a philistine, but I really wish they'd funded the expanded content and such before worrying about an orchestra. My ears can hardly tell the difference between doing it digitally and using live instruments. Seems like a complete waste for something most people wont even notice without being told. Oh well.

steam_sig.png
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'm utterly amazed that Yogventures got funded. Two guys who make minecraft youtube videos are going to pay another indie studio to make them a minecraft clone more focused on making videos.

Not only because I was fairly sure that kickstarter only allows US projects, and those guys are from Bristol, but because it's all just so flimsy. And now they've got a quarter of a million dollars.

I wonder if this is going to be the highly funded project which collapses first.

Yogcast is immensly popular. I think thats the only real "reason" appliable here.

But, yeah. This one is dangerous.

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    You can get a US surrogate (in this case the development studio) to get on Kickstarter.

But hey, it's not like Minecraft was made for a lot so who knows.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »

I may be a philistine, but I really wish they'd funded the expanded content and such before worrying about an orchestra. My ears can hardly tell the difference between doing it digitally and using live instruments. Seems like a complete waste for something most people wont even notice without being told. Oh well.

I can tell between orchestrated and synthesized music but only really because I love video game music way too much.

I would've preferred the expanded content over the ports to xbla and psn.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

Yogcast is immensly popular. I think thats the only real "reason" appliable here.

Yeah, most of their Minecraft videos on YouTube get over a million views. I wonder how many new people signed up for Kickstarter just for the Yogcast project.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    So my credit card was flagged for possible fraud, and Discover is sending me a new one (there haven't been any fraudulent charges, thankfully). I realized this would probably affect my two pending kickstarter payments. Does anyone know if they'll take care of themselves when I get my new card and update my card with Amazon? Or do I have to do something from Kickstarter's end?

If all else fails, you'll get a message from Kickstarter about how there was an error processing your payment when the project gets funded, and you'll have 7 calendar days to fix it.

• astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I'm trying to decide whether to give the Banner Saga 10, 25 or 50 dollars. I really want them to hit their 700,000 target, but I'd also much rather play the game on a console. I guess if I get locked into a PC/Mac purchase it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, especially if it means the game is better in the end.

I think they would be wise to, no matter how much extra funding they get, put that extra stuff in if they can. They're going to be darn close to $700,000 no matter what.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    By the way, does anyone else find it extremely hard to navigate Kickstarter? Why don't they just have an "all projects" page for a single category. Is there a reason they don't want you to find something unless it's popular, they've selected it, or you already know it exists?

(Sorry about the double post. Computer error.)

astronautcowboy3 on
    The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Here's the videogame category:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/video games?ref=sidebar

To get there you hit "Discover" at the top, then the Games category in the sidebar, then the Video Games subcategory. If you then click on "Popular" and start scrolling down, I think it eventually shows you all the active projects in the category.

Popular listings:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/video games/popular?ref=more

Darian on
    I kind of want to know if the other 2 chapters of Banner Saga are going to cost 10 bucks whenever they come out. 25 bucks is a little much for some extra mp3s and a pdf. And the poster is really nice, but I'd rather just get all the chapters for 30 bucks.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Chris Avellone wants to play Matchmaker

http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-163-if-youre-heading-up-a-kickstarter-let-us-know-if-you-want-help/
    Obsidian gets applicants for internships all the time from schools across the States, and it may be that if you're forming a Kickstarter, you may need a lot of technical, production, and development help for tasks that students and juniors would love to do to contribute to their careers and education.

If you're running a Kickstarter and would like to consider a pool of applicants to help you hit your game's mark, let us know - there may be interns/juniors in your area or could assist remotely with your tasks and help your game shine. If this is something you're interested in exploring, drop me a line at [email protected].

If you're a junior or intern, this isn't a call to send a resume - only await more information. Hopefully, this "kickstarts" some job opportunities and gets folks started up the career ladder. Overall, the hope is Kickstarter may be able to provide more job opportunities to junior and intern students that may be problematic at larger studios.

Chris

C2B on
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    If you guys don't at least check out Starlight Inception I will be very sad, because I don't think it's going to hit its mark.

It does sound pretty cool though, hopefully Freelancer-ish.

RainbowDespair posted this a little while ago at his blog:
    To end things off, I’d like to talk about kickstarter reward tiers. With kickstarter, you have two very different kinds of rewards – digital rewards and physical rewards. You can treat digital rewards as if you were selling someone something. For example, say you’re going to sell a game for $10 – you can have a $10 reward be that you get a copy of the game. You can do this because the cost to deliver a digital reward is next to nothing. However, with physical rewards, you really need to treat them like, well, a fundraiser. Namely, the tier that gives a physical reward should be drastically higher than the expected cost of that physical reward because you want most of the money to go towards funding your game and not to go towards creating and delivering physical rewards. Several kickstarter planners don’t think this through very well with the result that you get things like the Star Command kickstarter where they ended up spending a substantially percentage of their funding on fulfilling the various reward tiers.

So in short, be careful about your physical rewards. I’d even go so far as to say that unless you’re a bigger company like Double Fine with the framework already in place to mass produce physical products, you shouldn’t give away any physical rewards at any tier under $100. Remember that not only do you have to make whatever physical rewards you promise, you also have to ship them and that can be very expensive.

This is something that needs to be widely viewed and realized by new groups before they set up their Kickstarter projects. T-shirts, posters, these things can easily get out of hand if you aren't careful.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    What does "on lawyers" mean in this context and how do you spend less on them? They make it sound like an optional, luxury good.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    What does "on lawyers" mean in this context and how do you spend less on them? They make it sound like an optional, luxury good.

Presumably, it means getting lawyers involved to write up and oversee the signing of things like partnership agreements, IP agreements, dispute resolution procedures, etc.

E.g., make sure your tax status is up-to-date and correct in your state of residence / incorporation (if you go that far), that who-owns-what is clear (and if a developer leaves, what he or she can or cannot take with them), etc.

You can pay a lawyer to help you draft this all up, which can be expensive but will result in a solution that is custom-tailored to your unique needs, or you could use one of those legal-document-help websites (which sell things like broadly applicable will kits, etc.).

• Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular

Hmmm. 1984 + Chrono Trigger? I am...intrigued.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    What's keeping these developers from creating clever ruses to trick potential donors into donating hundreds of thousands of dollars and then halting development, walking away with the money in the process?

Kickstarter sounds like gambling to me... Technically, these infusions of capital are gifts, right? Donors have no right to expect anything in return...

From the Kickstarter FAQ, under Accountability:
    Who is responsible for fulfilling the promises of a project?

It is the responsibility of the project creator to fulfill the promises of their project. Kickstarter reviews projects to ensure they do not violate the Project Guidelines, however Kickstarter does not investigate a creator's ability to complete their project.

Creators are encouraged to share links to any websites that show work related to the project, or past projects. It's up to them to make the case for their project and their ability to complete it. Because projects are usually funded by the friends, fans, and communities around its creator, there are powerful social forces that keep creators accountable.

There are two versions of that answer, differing in the final paragraph. Here they are, first for the Creator then for Backers:
    A good rule of thumb for creators is to under-promise and over-deliver. Creators who provide a good experience for backers will find more success in the future. Finally, transparency and communication are vital, especially after funding has ended.

The web is an excellent resource for learning about someone’s prior experience. If someone has no demonstrable prior history of doing something like their project, or is unwilling to share information, backers should consider that when weighing a pledge. If something sounds too good to be true, it very well may be.

And then finally:
    If I am unable to complete my project as listed, what should I do?

If you are unable to fulfill the promises made to backers, cannot complete the project as advertised, or decide to abandon the project for any reason, you are expected to cancel funding. A failure to do so could result in damage to your reputation or even legal action on behalf of your backers.

So there is the threat of legal action to reclaim the money; I'd say that backers would have a strong case if there was never a good faith effort to attempt the project as designed. In cases where the project creators try but are simply unable to finish it for some reason it would be difficult to sue for repayment.

XX55XX wrote: »
    What's keeping these developers from creating clever ruses to trick potential donors into donating hundreds of thousands of dollars and then halting development, walking away with the money in the process?

Kickstarter sounds like gambling to me... Technically, these infusions of capital are gifts, right? Donors have no right to expect anything in return...

Yes, thats also why I kind of only invest big(ger) in proven devs and/or "people". For example I trust a Avellone/Fargo/Lowe/Schaefer/Jane Jensen to stay true to their word.

If it comes to unknowns there are two deciding factors for me: 1. Does the project interest me? 2. Is the project "realistic" for said team (most important). If both are met I'm willing to part with some of my monnies even if it is not as much as in the above case.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular

Noting is stopping someone from just walking away with the money, except if that did happen than those people careers would be effectively dead(at least in the game development world). no one is ever going to hire or give more money to a group that does that. there could also be possible lawsuits, but that would take the donors getting together and gathering more money to hire lawyers.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Foomy wrote: »

Noting is stopping someone from just walking away with the money, except if that did happen than those people careers would be effectively dead(at least in the game development world). no one is ever going to hire or give more money to a group that does that. there could also be possible lawsuits, but that would take the donors getting together and gathering more money to hire lawyers.

Yeah, but your donations are gifts though. You have no right to expect anything in return.

That said though, I think people are safe if they stick to proven developers... But then again, there is always the risk that projects fail and lots of money gets eaten without a full game ever coming out of it.

XX55XX on
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wouldn't say you don't have a right to except anything in return. you should expect to at least see that the team tried to create something.

There is a huge world of difference between a kickstarter project taking the donated money and blowing it all on vacations, booze, and hookers. and one that seriously tries to create what they stated out to do but fail.
    In the case of a project just running off with the money and yelling "suckers!" at all the backers than I would hope that some sort of lawsuit come forth, or at the very least those involved are shunned from the community forever.

But if a project seriously tries and just can't do what they wanted to, for whatever reason. Than I wouldn't be too upset, that happens occasionally in any creative endeavor. I would hope that the project could release what they created along the way, and explain why it just couldn't be completed.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    The way I see it is this, if you pledge your money for a kickstarter, you do a little bit of research on the team first. Either see what past experiences they have, or look into what they're promising.

If you don't do that, if you don't do any research whatsoever and you're taken in by their promises... well, that's your fault. Kickstarter is an investment website. Investments are dangerous things.

I could start a kickstarter, promising a metroidvania type game, put the goal at $50000, and if I made the money, be perfectly able to devote all of my time for the next year or two to developing said game (at least with my current living situation). Why not do that? Because I have no experience in doing so. I may be able to get to the goal, but I'm not confident in my abilities to make said game. And seeing how I WANT to make games, and I WANT those games to be well liked and to have a solid reputation, I wait until I have something to show. Until not only do I have to confidence the game could be completed as promised for the asked amount of money, but also until the donors would be confident with the provided information.

Yes, some people wouldn't do this. You could do some bullshots, make wild promises, and get the money with no intention of ever developing something, but if you're going to scam people, why do it in such a scrutinized market in the first place? People are sceptical, and that's why some of these take forever to get funded, with constant video updates from the team, things to give donors confidence. The chances of one getting by that's just out to scam people is rather low considering how careful people are being with this new market. Now, one getting by that doesn't have a chance of getting made because of overestimation of skill/over promised features/and too ambitious a vision.... that's rather likely, but those are two completely different scenarios.

No I don't.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

In my absolute honest opinion; I love Yogscast and cannot fathom why they would do this, nor do I want it to succeed. For pragmatic reasons as well as the obvious effect that it will have in convincing people not to go crazy with kickstarters. I can only see this being a response to their immense popularity and a probable ego trip fuelling this idea of making a Minecraft better suited to their storytelling needs. It almost seems selfish.

But hey, if it works, it works, and if it sells and delivers and Notch doesn't have cause to sue, whatever. There are many more kickstarters way worse then this that deserve to fail and even more kickstarters that deserve to succeed.

488W936.png

The fact that nobody is giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to unknown developers.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'll probably throw a hundred at Shadowrun Returns. I like the idea of having my name in the credits.

Ooh. The $125 goodies look even better.

I am kind of irked by the Jensen one. If I am to fork over $100, I expect a collector's edition. On theirs, that does not happen until $200.

Krathoon on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    The Jane Jensen prizes seem overpriced all across the board. I really feel like the Gabriel Knight design bible PDF is being held hostage at a higher tier than is reasonable. That thing is gonna leak out onto the internet so fast.

steam_sig.png

The fact that nobody is giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to unknown developers.

Well, actually...
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures?ref=live
    They are a team of talented indie developers based in and around Hollywood, California. Their artists and programmers are long-time veterans of film and game companies - working at the highest levels of production.
    This will be Winterkewl Games’s first title but after seeing what they have been able to put together for our demo we are sure these are the right guys for the job! In only a few months of part-time development, the game is already looking fantastic.

A quick google search tells me their "CEO/Lead Designer" is one Kristafer Vale who founded the company after working as a Character TD at SONY Pictures and Dreamworks. Their corporate website is solely a kickstarter info page (at least in my browsers; none of the links for news/about/etc. work for me).

From his personal/professional blog he starts off by telling us he won't let us know who else is on his team:
    There are a lot of my very good friends who are risking a lot to help me make this game. They have families, and good jobs to think about. They can't just walk away from all that and throw caution to the wind without serious assurances that they won't be homeless and unemployed 3-6 months from now. So specifics about the team, are for now off the table. It's not fair to them to jeopardize their livelihoods simply to allay some fears about whether or not we can deliver what we are promising. I'll let the work answer that question and you the players can decide what you think from that.

So $342,437 with 15 days to go for the first title from a group of unknowns. The fact is somebody is giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to unknown developers.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/policewarfare/police-warfare

Police Warfare cancelled their funding.

*sarcastic remark* Maybe they realised that you need programmers to make a game. *sarcastic remark*

Darian wrote: »

Well, actually...
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/winterkewlgames/yogventures?ref=live
    They are a team of talented indie developers based in and around Hollywood, California. Their artists and programmers are long-time veterans of film and game companies - working at the highest levels of production.
    This will be Winterkewl Games’s first title but after seeing what they have been able to put together for our demo we are sure these are the right guys for the job! In only a few months of part-time development, the game is already looking fantastic.

A quick google search tells me their "CEO/Lead Designer" is one Kristafer Vale who founded the company after working as a Character TD at SONY Pictures and Dreamworks. Their corporate website is solely a kickstarter info page (at least in my browsers; none of the links for news/about/etc. work for me).

From his personal/professional blog he starts off by telling us he won't let us know who else is on his team:
    There are a lot of my very good friends who are risking a lot to help me make this game. They have families, and good jobs to think about. They can't just walk away from all that and throw caution to the wind without serious assurances that they won't be homeless and unemployed 3-6 months from now. So specifics about the team, are for now off the table. It's not fair to them to jeopardize their livelihoods simply to allay some fears about whether or not we can deliver what we are promising. I'll let the work answer that question and you the players can decide what you think from that.

So $342,437 with 15 days to go for the first title from a group of unknowns. The fact is somebody is giving hundreds of thousands of dollars to unknown developers.

Yogcast is known and that is who people are giving their money to. They might not be the ones making the game but they are the known entity that brought in the money.

Point still stands.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/policewarfare/police-warfare

Police Warfare cancelled their funding.

*sarcastic remark* Maybe they realised that you need programmers to make a game. *sarcastic remark*

Or this is the only project that publishers took a notice to and decided to sign.

This discussion has been closed.