As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I went through the Sniper Elite V2 demo and liked it. I played on elite difficulty and picked up the mechanics after a few deaths. I was hoping for a little more stealth or subterfuge, but I couldn't figure out how or if was even possible.

Just had to jaw-somely counter-snipe the snipers and the pick off the little dudes running around to find cover to cower behind.

Wasn't that difficult to move through the mission when the aftermath is all ghost towns.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Now see, that's pretty cool, and what I wanted Sniper Elite 1 to be, but from what I heard it starts ignoring its title and supposed premise and expecting you to run around like Rambo like every other generic military manshoot really fast. Is this still the case with 2?

Can't say for sure but I hope to god that isn't the case. Sniper Elite was great for the first few missions but then it turned Rambo as you say. So much so that I didn't have the desire to finish it.

Yeah, that really sucked when it turned into generic WWII 3rd-person shooter. I think the devs just ran out of time to properly develop some larger stages and just went "oh shit, throw in some run-and-gun stuff, that's a lot easier."

I thought Sniper Elite was generic modern-day (first-person?) shooter, and the new one was the changeover to the WW2 setting.

I think you're thinking of Sniper: Ghost Warrior, which is by all accounts pretty terrible.

People keep saying the first turned into Rambo, but could any of them be confusing it with Ghost Warrior?

Hmm, you know, maybe I was. You know, I think I definitely was. That would explain the "V2" in the title as opposed to just "2" or "II," if it's more of a remake than a sequel. This makes me even more interested - I'd heard the original Sniper Elite (if it's the game I'm thinking of) was good, but it was originally PS2 era I think.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    If they ever get around to Mount and Blade 2 instead of just releasing spinoffs, a co-op campaign mode would mean I would never, ever play another game.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    so guys. Which mount and blade is the one to buy because I am finally buying one.

GOGOGO.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    IT IS DONE

(I timewarped bullio)

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    so guys. Which mount and blade is the one to buy because I am finally buying one.

GOGOGO.

Warband.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I went through the Sniper Elite V2 demo and liked it. I played on elite difficulty and picked up the mechanics after a few deaths. I was hoping for a little more stealth or subterfuge, but I couldn't figure out how or if was even possible.

Just had to jaw-somely counter-snipe the snipers and the pick off the little dudes running around to find cover to cower behind.

Wasn't that difficult to move through the mission when the aftermath is all ghost towns.

You can only stealth around when there are no snipers around. So that first section Can't be stealthed through as far as I could tell. You can plant the charges stealthily though. Once you've picked them up, go place the first one near to where you picked up the charges. On that same side of the road, there's an alley way. Run to the end and there's an open window on your left you could climb up, it leads you through a damaged building and you should come out behind a Nazi, stealth kill him. Obviously stay crouched through all this else they'll hear you. then place the second charge, the two guys in the cafe won't know you're there so you could just crawl back to the vantage point and take care of those buggers. AFAIK, only the first guy in the final building is stealth killable, the sniper spots you immediately after stepping out into the doorway, thus alerting the other fella.

Hell, even the final target is sort of skippable, if you get lucky enough and manage to hit the gas tank dead on. I've only done this when it was stationary and the guy had already gotten off the truck.

edit: Deserves mentioning that I managed to shoot two guys testicles off in one shot. Complete luck but hilarious nonetheless.

Also, I tried the PS3 demo first and I can't believe how much better the game looks on PC. I feel all warm and tingly inside.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    kaliakalia Registered User regular
    So today has been the best day.

This is tangentially steam-related, but EXTRA classy-related.

A while ago @Handgimp gifted me SSFIV. I love it, but I really struggled with the 360 controller, and was asking a bunch in chat about fightsticks or other pads or whatnot. Couldn't afford anything yet, but was looking, because god the 360 controller was horrible (I finally was just using keyboard controls). kaffalijidhma (@Paladin, I think?) told me had an old fightstick he'd send me, but if you know kaffa, you can understand I wasn't really sure if he was serious, or what he meant by "fightstick". I told him I couldn't afford it, he said I could pay whatever, whenever. I told him I couldn't do that, he said something about it being all boxed up & looking sad. I finally caved.

Today I got - well, my camera isn't working so well, so I couldn't do the whole unboxing thing, but it's a Hori RAP vx-sa. And it looks brand new. I am blown away. I am still in shock, and my gratitude is inexpressible. <3

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    That's a beauty of an arcade stick, Kalia. Nice!

How long before you start tricking it out with custom buttons and a new ball-top?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »

You can only stealth around when there are no snipers around. So that first section Can't be stealthed through as far as I could tell. You can plant the charges stealthily though. Once you've picked them up, go place the first one near to where you picked up the charges. On that same side of the road, there's an alley way. Run to the end and there's an open window on your left you could climb up, it leads you through a damaged building and you should come out behind a Nazi, stealth kill him. Obviously stay crouched through all this else they'll hear you. then place the second charge, the two guys in the cafe won't know you're there so you could just crawl back to the vantage point and take care of those buggers. AFAIK, only the first guy in the final building is stealth killable, the sniper spots you immediately after stepping out into the doorway, thus alerting the other fella.

Hell, even the final target is sort of skippable, if you get lucky enough and manage to hit the gas tank dead on. I've only done this when it was stationary and the guy had already gotten off the truck.

edit: Deserves mentioning that I managed to shoot two guys testicles off in one shot. Complete luck but hilarious nonetheless.

Also, I tried the PS3 demo first and I can't believe how much better the game looks on PC. I feel all warm and tingly inside.

The only enemies I was able to sneak around was the guys inside next to the second satchel charge spot (which I shot when the target vehicle was driving by). I was able to stealth kill a couple duders.

• Options

How long before you start tricking it out with custom buttons and a new ball-top?

Oh, you kinky minx, you!

• Options

Oh, you kinky minx, you!

I realize now how innuendo-laden that sounded. This was not my intention, but it's hard to talk about arcade sticks without sounding like you're discussing S&M.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Holy Shit! Isn't Alan Wake something?

I was more or less on the mood for something scary-ish, so I went on to download Alan Wake (which was generously gifted by @handgimp in a contest. Thanks again, classy fellow!) and so far I'm completely in love with it.

The narration, the mood, the gameplay. Oh yeah!

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options

Oh, you kinky minx, you!

I realize now how innuendo-laden that sounded. This was not my intention, but it's hard to talk about arcade sticks without sounding like you're discussing S&M.

Haha, I just have a filthy mind so anything innuendo laden, however subtle and unintentional gets spotted. <3

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular

Man, Sniper Elite 2 is fucking great.

Shot a counter-sniper right in the forehead in slo-mo X-ray voyeur mode. It's really rather fun. Know what else is? Shooting a Nazi in the throat, and having the flattened remains of the bullet fly into a high-ranking Nazi's chest, killing him too. Think I might actually pre-order this, just so I can kill Hitler.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    First games, then flasks, now hardware?

At the rate this thread is going, it won't be more than a month or two before somebody gifts somebody else a kidney.

(I love you guys)

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    Frei wrote: »
    If they ever get around to Mount and Blade 2 instead of just releasing spinoffs, a co-op campaign mode would mean I would never, ever play another game.

I hear you there. You know there is BattleTime a mod that lets you do the battles coop. Works well enough, but is a little wonky. Still, I played it a bunch with friends. Sieging has never been more fun, or rolling with that huge army.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options

At the rate this thread is going, it won't be more than a month or two before somebody gifts somebody else a kidney.

(I love you guys)

I've used this thread as a clearinghouse for my old hardware. They think they're being gifted mice and headphones and such, but in reality, they're all pawns in my scheme to clean out my closets so that I can actually use them for, you know, clothes.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular

(I love you guys)

Does someone need one? I have a spare....

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular

(I love you guys)

well the rate at which some of us drink, that might be sooner rather than later

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

(I love you guys)

Hey guys, I know the weekend deal is for the whole GI tract, but I just need the lower intestine. If I buy the pack, can I gift out the organs I already have?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man, remember when people were gifting organs left and right on SteamOrganDonation.com? Then some Russians came in and started taking advantage of that shit. Not classy.

Also... How do I know that the organ is compatible with my immune system? Want proof? PROOF.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ultraexactzzultraexactzz BLEASCHMNN Registered User regular
    My old system can barely handle Dota 2, so I played one game and haven't thought about it since. Which makes it double funny that Steam saw fit to send two extra copies of Dota 2 to my steam account.

Does anyone who wants to play this not yet have it? Because I don't need three copies. Seems selfish, you know?

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Man, remember when people were gifting organs left and right on SteamOrganDonation.com? Then some Russians came in and started taking advantage of that shit. Not classy.

Also... How do I know that the organ is compatible with my immune system? Want proof? PROOF.

don't forget those whole shenainagins with those spoofed organs out of eastern europe. needed a proxy to get your system to recognize it

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    mts wrote: »

don't forget those whole shenainagins with those spoofed organs out of eastern europe. needed a proxy to get your system to recognize it
    Then there was the time that Handgimp got drunk and started gifting organs all over the place.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

Then there was the time that Handgimp got drunk and started gifting organs all over the place.

Not gonna lie, my eyes passed over that and I thought it said "gifting orgasms all over the place".

I....I fully support this escalation in classiness.

:winky:

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Not gonna lie, my eyes passed over that and I thought it said "gifting orgasms all over the place".

I....I fully support this escalation in classiness.

:winky:

Well, that's basically what he's doing.

• Options
    Well, he is a handsome sailor.

• Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    I begin to suspect that Handgimp is secretly a minion of the Newell.

teriferin#1625
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Secretly?

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Gamersgate is having a rather massive Square Enix sale putting the Ubisoft sale to shame. Pretty much all their stuff is 75 percent off, including DLC. All the usual suspects like Deus Ex, Lara Croft, Hitman, Just Cause, etc. Several games are Steamworks. Appears to be a weekend deal.

Random link to one of the games because their general sale link isn't working: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DEHR/deus-ex-human-revolution-?caff=3884871

Steamworks titles that are 75 percent off right now include:

Deus Ex Human Revolution (and DLC)
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (and DLC)
    Kane and Lynch 2 (and DLC)
    Just Cause 2 (and DLC)
    Dungeon Siege 3 (and DLC)

Corpekata on
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Handgimp wrote: »
    signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

Handgimp's ball of classiness rolls again!

bDeu1.png

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Bravo. Simply Bravo, Hit Bit.

EDIT: (There are organs in those boxes, aren't there? So it has begun...)

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

Shot a counter-sniper right in the forehead in slo-mo X-ray voyeur mode. It's really rather fun. Know what else is? Shooting a Nazi in the throat, and having the flattened remains of the bullet fly into a high-ranking Nazi's chest, killing him too. Think I might actually pre-order this, just so I can kill Hitler.
    This is the most amazingly wonderful thing, and I generally hate sniping. The only way this could get better is if you could mod gun/bullet data to do hilariously crazy shit and amp bone/organ damage/range up a few orders of magnitude.

EDIT: Two-for-one headshot specials are the greatest goddamn thing on Earth today.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Gamersgate is having a rather massive Square Enix sale putting the Ubisoft sale to shame. Pretty much all their stuff is 75 percent off, including DLC. All the usual suspects like Deus Ex, Lara Croft, Hitman, Just Cause, etc. Several games are Steamworks. Appears to be a weekend deal.

Random link to one of the games because their general sale link isn't working: http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DEHR/deus-ex-human-revolution-?caff=3884871

Steamworks titles that are 75 percent off right now include:

Deus Ex Human Revolution (and DLC)
    Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (and DLC)
    Kane and Lynch 2 (and DLC)
    Just Cause 2 (and DLC)
    Dungeon Siege 3 (and DLC)

Is it sad that I'm *this* close to buying Daikatana for $2.50? :oops:

Also, FFXI Ultimate Edition for $5.00 isn't a bad deal, considering it has the 30 days of gametime included for new accounts

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

This is the most amazingly wonderful thing, and I generally hate sniping. The only way this could get better is if you could mod gun/bullet data to do hilariously crazy shit and amp bone/organ damage/range up a few orders of magnitude.

EDIT: Two-for-one headshot specials are the greatest goddamn thing on Earth today.

This is the truth. Having two soldiers run over to check their dead buddy and while they're together, I then shoot at them and the bullet goes through the first guy's face and then the bullet remains keep going and fly into the next guy's throat? Awesome.

How did everyone manage to kill the final target? I shot a little too low and was treated to a slo-mo x-ray cam of my bullet going through both of the guy's knees.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Kami wrote: »

Oh shit. That is a thing gamersgate has?

I...is this a weekend sale?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »

Oh shit. That is a thing gamersgate has?

I...is this a weekend sale?

Yeah.

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    I very much want to buy Sniper Elite V2 and Dungeon Siege 3.

However I just bought Rage, The Witcher 2, Legend of Grimrock, Crusader Kings 2 and got Swords & Sorcery EP.

I need someone to take my CC away from me.

Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Yeah.
    I am going to regret things I do come monday. I can already tell.

M A G I K A Z A M
This discussion has been closed.