Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

194959799100

Posts

  • AdditionalPylonsAdditionalPylons Registered User regular
    Having never played Phantasy Star,should i get it? And are the steam versions of them good?

    steam_sig.png
  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    So Faerie Solitaire is pretty fun, even if I have no clue WTF kind of rules it's using.

  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Having never played Phantasy Star,should i get it? And are the steam versions of them good?

    You should get the entire classic pack 5. It has a ton of really good games in it.

    That being said, the emulator isn't superb or anything. It doesn't seem to like to be tabbed out of frequently. It starts to act wonky at random if you do. So. Take that as you will.

  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular

    "Check back tomorrow for part two, wherein we discuss how far along Black Mesa is now and when – admittedly on relative terms – we might finally get to play it."

    TOMORROW? We waited 7 years for this, we can't wait another day just to know one more tentative or "this time for reals guys" date. :D

    camo_sig2.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Registered User regular
    Daily deal is Wolfenstein 3D for peanuts.

    The Wolf Pack is also 75% off, and is well worth getting, and the id Superpack is 50% off too.

  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Wolfenstein 3D (yes, the classic predecessor to pretty much every FPS) is the daily for $1.

    Also available is the Wolf Pack for $3.75, which includes Return To Castle Wolfenstein. I'm going to grab it for nostalgia's sake, especially given the number of hours I clocked on it's MP and then ET after that.

    steam_sig.png
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    Daily deal is Wolfenstein 3D for peanuts.

    The Wolf Pack is also 75% off, and is well worth getting, and the id Superpack is 50% off too.

    I'm kind of surprised they aren't advertising the id Superpack more. Is this the lowest it's gotten?

    steam_sig.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    they just made wolf 3d free on browsers too. it's the 20th anniversary of killing occult nazis!

    steam_sig.png
    Behance Portfolio I PSN- Subtle_Ties | 3DS: 3840-5210-2008 (Subtle) | FFXIV: Phyla Zuul
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Did they update the controls on Wolf3D or is it still clunky 90s style?

    wpf91qjuczat.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    they just made wolf 3d free on browsers too. it's the 20th anniversary of killing occult nazis!

    Are there any other kind? Oh wait, you said 'occult' not 'cunt'.

    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Wolfenstein 3D (yes, the classic predecessor to pretty much every FPS) is the daily for $1.

    Also available is the Wolf Pack for $3.75, which includes Return To Castle Wolfenstein. I'm going to grab it for nostalgia's sake, especially given the number of hours I clocked on it's MP and then ET after that.

    Might have to pick up the Wolf pack just to finally have RTCW on Steam. I really wish someone would make an MP game that was as good as RTCW MP was . Just nothing to me has ever had the perfect use of real objective gameplay. Brink came close but died quickly unfortunately for various reasons. I enjoyed it quite alot though.

    camo_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Huh, and yet the 2009 Wolfenstein game isn't included in any sales. I guess because it's made by Raven?

  • Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    kal wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Wolfenstein 3D (yes, the classic predecessor to pretty much every FPS) is the daily for $1.

    Also available is the Wolf Pack for $3.75, which includes Return To Castle Wolfenstein. I'm going to grab it for nostalgia's sake, especially given the number of hours I clocked on it's MP and then ET after that.

    Might have to pick up the Wolf pack just to finally have RTCW on Steam. I really wish someone would make an MP game that was as good as RTCW MP was . Just nothing to me has ever had the perfect use of real objective gameplay. Brink came close but died quickly unfortunately for various reasons. I enjoyed it quite alot though.

    Are you talking about Enemy Territory or was there MP options on RTCW? It's been a while since I play it and I can't remember.

    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    21st Century and I are playing Magic the Gathering at the moment if anyone wants to join us so we can do some of the modes besides 1v1.

    steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    I never played the original Wolfenstein or its sequel. It's free on browsers now? Might have to give that a look.

  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    kal wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Wolfenstein 3D (yes, the classic predecessor to pretty much every FPS) is the daily for $1.

    Also available is the Wolf Pack for $3.75, which includes Return To Castle Wolfenstein. I'm going to grab it for nostalgia's sake, especially given the number of hours I clocked on it's MP and then ET after that.

    Might have to pick up the Wolf pack just to finally have RTCW on Steam. I really wish someone would make an MP game that was as good as RTCW MP was . Just nothing to me has ever had the perfect use of real objective gameplay. Brink came close but died quickly unfortunately for various reasons. I enjoyed it quite alot though.

    Are you talking about Enemy Territory or was there MP options on RTCW? It's been a while since I play it and I can't remember.

    Yeah I'm taking about RTCW. It was done by Nerve Software.I enjoyed ET as well though. It just didn't have the hold on me the RTCW did where I was playing competitive matches or practices almost every night of the week on multiple ladders.

    kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • madnessnewbmadnessnewb Registered User regular
    kal wrote: »
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Wolfenstein 3D (yes, the classic predecessor to pretty much every FPS) is the daily for $1.

    Also available is the Wolf Pack for $3.75, which includes Return To Castle Wolfenstein. I'm going to grab it for nostalgia's sake, especially given the number of hours I clocked on it's MP and then ET after that.

    Might have to pick up the Wolf pack just to finally have RTCW on Steam. I really wish someone would make an MP game that was as good as RTCW MP was . Just nothing to me has ever had the perfect use of real objective gameplay. Brink came close but died quickly unfortunately for various reasons. I enjoyed it quite alot though.

    Are you talking about Enemy Territory or was there MP options on RTCW? It's been a while since I play it and I can't remember.

    Both were excellent!

    steam_sig.png
  • busfahrerbusfahrer Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Good evening, gentlemen :)

    Anybody willing to get the daily deal (Wolfenstein 3D) for me?

    In exchange, you can choose one of these gifts:
    • Dungeons of Dredmor
    • Avadon: The Black Fortress
    • Dungeon Defenders
    • Trine

    Too bad they have to block games like that here in Germany...

    Swiftly taken care of by Banzai5150! Thanks, man :)

    busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    Why would they want to block games about killing Naz- oh.

  • busfahrerbusfahrer Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Here's a director's commentary on Wolfenstein 3D by the man himself, John Carmack:

    http://gamerprompt.com/393/wolfenstein-3d-directors-commentary-with-john-carmack

    edit: Today is Wolf3D's 20th birthday, if anybody's wondering

    busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Huh, and yet the 2009 Wolfenstein game isn't included in any sales. I guess because it's made by Raven?

    It's cause it's published by Activision rather than Id/Bethesda

    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »
    Here's a director's commentary on Wolfenstein 3D by the man himself, John Carmack:

    http://gamerprompt.com/393/wolfenstein-3d-directors-commentary-with-john-carmack

    edit: Today is Wolf3D's 20th birthday, if anybody's wondering

    I think I might get that wolf pack. It looks fun, but I've never played return. Is it good?

    steam_sig.png
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Having never played Phantasy Star,should i get it? And are the steam versions of them good?

    Phantasy Star IV is one of the best 16-bit RPGs of all time and still holds up very well today.

    Phantasy Star I-III are more noted for their historical relevance than current playability. Phantasy Star I & II were far ahead of the curve when they came out - Phantasy Star I actually came out before Dragon Warrior 1 in the US and is a far better game than it. Phantasy Star III is the weakest game in the series but even it has something interesting in its generation system (at two points in the game, you choose a wife and then in the next part of the game, you play as your child).

    So yeah, unless you have a historic interest in RPGs, you're probably best off skipping PS1-3 and just playing PS4.

    RainbowDespair on
  • busfahrerbusfahrer Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    To all the people who bought Wolf3D

    The game runs smoother if you hit CTRL+F12 a few times after starting. What this does is giving the DOSBox emulator more cycles of your CPU to use. You can see the current amount of cycles in the title bar (you can switch between fullscreen and window using ALT+Enter). I usually turn it up to 12k cycles, from the default of 3k. You should also maximize the size of the in-game viewport in the game's main menu.

    busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »
    Good evening, gentlemen :)

    Anybody willing to get the daily deal (Wolfenstein 3D) for me?

    In exchange, you can choose one of these gifts:
    • Dungeons of Dredmor
    • Avadon: The Black Fortress
    • Dungeon Defenders
    • Trine

    Too bad they have to block games like that here in Germany...

    Swiftly taken care of by Banzai5150! Thanks, man :)

    Classy guy this Busfahrer, I said I'm good and he gifts me Avadon anyway! Thanks sir!

    steam_sig.png
    GFWL: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    Daily deal is Wolfenstein 3D for peanuts.

    The Wolf Pack is also 75% off, and is well worth getting, and the id Superpack is 50% off too.

    Been waiting for a good sale on the wolf pack, may have to buy that when I get home

    steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    busfahrer wrote: »
    To all the people who bought Wolf3D

    The game runs smoother if you hit CTRL+F12 a few times after starting. What this does is giving the DOSBox emulator more cycles of your CPU to use. You can see the current amount of cycles in the title bar (you can switch between fullscreen and window using ALT+Enter). I usually turn it up to 12k cycles, from the default of 3k. You should also maximize the size of the in-game viewport in the game's main menu.

    Wolf3D on Steam has one of the worst DOSbox configurations I've ever seen. If you know anything about DOSbox configs dive into that directory and take a look around. It's horrible. Dude even left his full name in the directory pathing of his own personal shortcut that he didn't bother to remove from the package. Just terribly sloppy.

    So if you want to take advantage of some of DOSbox's features like windowed mode you may just want to point your own DOSbox installation at the game than use the one that Steam provides.

    Drake on
  • busfahrerbusfahrer Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    busfahrer wrote: »
    To all the people who bought Wolf3D

    The game runs smoother if you hit CTRL+F12 a few times after starting. What this does is giving the DOSBox emulator more cycles of your CPU to use. You can see the current amount of cycles in the title bar (you can switch between fullscreen and window using ALT+Enter). I usually turn it up to 12k cycles, from the default of 3k. You should also maximize the size of the in-game viewport in the game's main menu.

    Wolf3D on Steam has one of the worst DOSbox configurations I've ever seen. If you know anything about DOSbox configs dive into that directory and take a look around. It's horrible. Dude even left his full name in the directory pathing of his own personal shortcut that he didn't bother to remove from the package. Just terribly sloppy.

    So if you want to take advantage of some of DOSbox's features like windowed mode you may just want to point your own DOSbox installation at the game than use the one that Steam provides.

    Also, they use some sort of filtering for the graphics. I hate it when they do that for old games, no matter if it's ScummVM filters or DOSBox.

    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Do people still play RtCW? That might be fun to play a few games.

    edit: Come to think of it, isn't there a free wolfenstein multi game that was released a few years ago?

    anoffday on
    steam_sig.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    edit: Come to think of it, isn't there a free wolfenstein multi game that was released a few years ago?
    Yeah; Enemy Territory.

    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I ended up getting the wolf pack. Man, I miss games like RtCW. I don't remember ever playing it before, but it feels so right. Health packs, secret areas, just good fun.

    steam_sig.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    If you haven't played the latest wolfenstein you really should pick it up next time it's on sale

    steam_sig.png
  • TreadLifeTreadLife Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    TreadLife wrote: »
    Woot, looks like Starlight Inception is a go - just scraped over the funding goal by about 8K.

    Finally decided to jump in on this at the last hour. High hopes on the results next year!

    Man, for awhile there I figured I could try to get a pooping simulator funded and I'd get it. Everything was making it's mark. I'm surprised it almost didn't make it.

    And why aren't more people interested in the new Carmageddon they're trying to get funded. It's Carmageddon people!

    I'm interested in Carmageddon, for sure. I had it way back when and it was fun. Only head of the project yesterday, and I think you are the first I've seen mention it here.

    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    If you haven't played the latest wolfenstein you really should pick it up next time it's on sale

    Yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit on the 360.

  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »
    edit: Come to think of it, isn't there a free wolfenstein multi game that was released a few years ago?
    Yeah; Enemy Territory.

    It's where Splash Damage made a name for themselves. Sadly, they haven't really lived up to it since, with Quake Wars and Brink not exactly setting the world alight. I think the gaming community has moved on to more twitchy shooters like the CODs sadly.

    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Since I saw some Phantasy Star discussion

    Phantasy Star 4 takes place in the same setting as Phantasy Star 1 and 2, and uses some characters and events from both, particularly some major events from 2.

    That said, playing the previous games really isn't necessary because the game does a good job of setting everything up so that if you didn't know ahead of time, you'd not realize anything was a reference to a previous game but at the same time you wouldn't really be missing anything from the narrative.

    So there you go.

    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    rikdaly wrote: »
    If you haven't played the latest wolfenstein you really should pick it up next time it's on sale

    Teehee, I just realized I bought that game the last time it was on sale and completely forgot about it.

    Speaking of games I have owned on Steam for a long time and never installed: KOTOR. Are there any decent/must-have mods for this thing around these days? How about that widescreen hack? (Yes, I know some people claim using that can get your Steam account Mjolnired, but I have yet to hear a single report of it actually happening.)

    1Slimus.jpg
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Bah. Wolfenstein '09 won't even start, it gets stuck at the PunkBuster installation step.

    1Slimus.jpg
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    rikdaly wrote: »
    If you haven't played the latest wolfenstein you really should pick it up next time it's on sale

    Teehee, I just realized I bought that game the last time it was on sale and completely forgot about it.

    Speaking of games I have owned on Steam for a long time and never installed: KOTOR. Are there any decent/must-have mods for this thing around these days? How about that widescreen hack? (Yes, I know some people claim using that can get your Steam account Mjolnired, but I have yet to hear a single report of it actually happening.)


    Nothing that's a must. There's a mod a lot of fans use that lets you skip the introduction level for replay purposes, but not worth skipping as a first timer.

    steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Happy Birthday to the grand daddy of the FPS.
    Let's share the nostalgia.

    signature.png

    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | Backloggery: TestSubject23 | PSN: testsubject23
This discussion has been closed.