As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Died During [chat] Creation

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure a forumer could write an iPhone app that could handle another Apollo Launch.

Holy shit. Apple has money.... someone should pitch this.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I think our ability to terraform any other place is rather constrained by our ability to send at best very small amounts of anything to them, at great expense

That'll improve.

Not really, given the current pattern of behavior vis a vis space and science spending.

We're likely going to go backwards on space technology for the next fifty years or so. We already got rid of reusable space ships, and we're one delete key from getting rid of Apollo era technology.

I don't have much hope for space exploration in the near future.

What that does mean is that in fifty years President A Man From Earth will be able to launch a brilliant new space program using 100 year old technology that will have been rediscovered.

Getting rid of the space shuttle wasn't a step backwards. They weren't good ideas.

And in fifty years, we will have better technology. We will be better at everything. That is what we do.

Can I introduce you to modern western civilization?

The boomers have thrown there hands up in the air and said "welp, we had it good but somehow things are shit for everyone after us"

I would very much like that not to be the case, and I plan on doing everything I can to keep it from being the case, but current trends would say that we're entering a period of voluntary decline.

We're at a liminal period in history. We can chose Star Trek or Mad Max right now to head toward and the people in charge are going for the cheaper, more Australian one. It's just a question on whether or not the rest of us are going to stop them.

Modern american civilization, is what you are talking about. You are talking about small irrelevant political eddies in one nation, here.

And what trends. What trends are saying science in america is dying? That progress will halt? It doesn't! It never does!

The world is generally and on balance, a better place to live this year than it was last year.

Your pessimism is stupid.

Right, cause Europe is so much better right now at that whole "lost generation thing"

And certainly the nerfing of the space program in the richest and most space programy country doesn't matter.

Your optimism is stupid.

This is what happens when Republicans grow bitter and turn their faces from the core of our political identity: America, Fuck Yeah.

AMFE: America!

Fuck yeah.

spool32 on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    bailing out to Mars because of Earth's problems makes zero sense. Even at the worse we can throw at it Earth will always be more suitable to life than Mars. Maybe have a colony there just because but it's stupid to think we could just up and move there in significant numbers.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    AManFromEarth you are making very long term predictions on a few superficial data points.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    msg2g.jpg

"I will pee on your shoes for making me do this."
    "Oh hi! I have a basket!"

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    bailing out to Mars because of Earth's problems makes zero sense. Even at the worse we can throw at it Earth will always be more suitable to life than Mars. Maybe have a colony there just because but it's stupid to think we could just up and move there in significant numbers.
    The only reason to colonize mars would be because we have already colonized the moon, as both have a similar chance of sustaining life outside at this point.

Honestly, neither of those locations should be civilian, but rather military or transport. Staging areas to extend our reach further. the kinds of ships we could build in a lower gravity environment that involves less strain to escape the gravity well would be inspiring.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The problem is without a magnetosphere any atmosphere you throw at it will blow away

we would need to go The Core on its ass

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    And science most certainly does halt. The dark ages, for one, it took until the renaissance for us to relearn things that the Greeks and Romans knew.

Culture, science, and quality of living doesn't trend upward for always, it needs to be protected.

Standard of living is going to be lower for every post Boomer generation and they keep stopping us from doing the things necessary to fix them. That's the trend I was talking about.

It's a solvable thing, I agree, and most of the time I think we'll be able to kick its ass and am optimistic, but ignoring the problem is goosey.

Lh96QHG.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    My iTunes seek bar has gone nuts. hmm.

aRkpc.gif
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I hope this company isn't a bunch of bullshit.

http://www.coolplanetbiofuels.com/

I'd love to be a part of their team. Climate change is like one of the top 3 threats to mankind right now and it'd be awesome to be at the forefront of fighting it. Alas. maybe I should get a master's in environmental science. But I want something big picture. not helping design a widget for a pump or whatever.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    And science most certainly does halt. The dark ages, for one, it took until the renaissance for us to relearn things that the Greeks and Romans knew.

Culture, science, and quality of living doesn't trend upward for always, it needs to be protected.

Standard of living is going to be lower for every post Boomer generation and they keep stopping us from doing the things necessary to fix them. That's the trend I was talking about.

It's a solvable thing, I agree, and most of the time I think we'll be able to kick its ass and am optimistic, but ignoring the problem is goosey.

Didn't Science march on in China and even the Eastern Empire during the Dark Ages?

Deebaser wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure a forumer could write an iPhone app that could handle another Apollo Launch.

Holy shit. Apple has money.... someone should pitch this.

Kerbal Space Program is already training a new generation of astronauts.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Going to Mars seems really really really hard.

I am basing this opinion solely on my experience with Kerbal Space Program.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The problem is without a magnetosphere any atmosphere you throw at it will blow away

The largest problem. Can you create a magnetosphere, I wonder?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Today is gonna be a quiet day in the office.

I'm pretty sure I've heard this called out as a misrepresentation of the times by the medieval historians I know.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Maybe we should skip over Mars and just go to Titan?

Lh96QHG.png
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I think our ability to terraform any other place is rather constrained by our ability to send at best very small amounts of anything to them, at great expense

That'll improve.

Not really, given the current pattern of behavior vis a vis space and science spending.

We're likely going to go backwards on space technology for the next fifty years or so. We already got rid of reusable space ships, and we're one delete key from getting rid of Apollo era technology.

What that does mean is that in fifty years President A Man From Earth will be able to launch a brilliant new space program using 100 year old technology that will have been rediscovered.

Getting rid of the space shuttle wasn't a step backwards. They weren't good ideas.

And in fifty years, we will have better technology. We will be better at everything. That is what we do.

The boomers have thrown there hands up in the air and said "welp, we had it good but somehow things are shit for everyone after us"

I would very much like that not to be the case, and I plan on doing everything I can to keep it from being the case, but current trends would say that we're entering a period of voluntary decline.

We're at a liminal period in history. We can chose Star Trek or Mad Max right now to head toward and the people in charge are going for the cheaper, more Australian one. It's just a question on whether or not the rest of us are going to stop them.

Modern american civilization, is what you are talking about. You are talking about small irrelevant political eddies in one nation, here.

And what trends. What trends are saying science in america is dying? That progress will halt? It doesn't! It never does!

The world is generally and on balance, a better place to live this year than it was last year.

Right, cause Europe is so much better right now at that whole "lost generation thing"

And certainly the nerfing of the space program in the richest and most space programy country doesn't matter.

Your optimism is stupid.

The fuck are you talking about? "Lost generation"?

and technological progress isn't lost or halted just because you're stopping your space program. Not even close.

It was a boon to general scientific progress of the world, but losing it just means a little less progress, not decline.

ftOqU21.png
    edited April 2012
    We're never going to find protean technology unless we get off this damned planet.

spool32 on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've heard this called out as a misrepresentation of the times by the medieval historians I know.

Would you rather be alive in ancient Greece or medieval England?
    The correct answer is Greece.

It is, the learning centers were shifted. It was no longer Europe and more Constantinople that became the centers of thought and philosophy. Which moved to Jerusalem, then back to Europe with the Renaissance.

The medieval period was pretty scientific, it was just mostly not the white people doing the science.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »

The magnetic field around planets is caused by the dynamo effect of the core's rotation inside the planet.

So blow nukes up down there to get the core moving again!

It blows very, very, very slowly away.

ftOqU21.png
    edited April 2012
    We're never going to find protean technology unless we get off this damned planet.

Have you finished 3? It really isn't worth it. :)

Not a spoiler, just an LOL Mass Effect 3's ending was bad.

Deebaser on
    emnmnme wrote: »

There are more places than Greece and England! I would rather live in medieval Baghdad or Shanghai

Sarksus wrote: »

The magnetic field around planets is caused by the dynamo effect of the core's rotation inside the planet.

Is that all it would take? Makes sense in theory since the orbit of the planet would help shift the core and keep it moving. Without an active tectonic system wouldn't it eventually stop again? Assuming it has a core that can be liquid. Hm. How the hell does the core stay liquid? Seems like it would get solid pretty quickly.

bah. I'm really worried at this point that I'll have ME3's ending specifically because I've been told it was bad so very many times.

Counting on my natural contrariness to help me enjoy the game!

emnmnme wrote: »

There are more places than Greece and England! I would rather live in medieval Baghdad or Shanghai

I haven't seen this trend you're talking about. Income disparity is widening in the US, sure, but standards of living are better.

Standard of living in the world is most decidedly going up.

That view of the dark ages is a misinterpretation of history anyway.

ftOqU21.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i love that race in the cerberus news network updates that discovers spaceflight just before the reapers' arrival

fuck y'all we were never here

blow up our spaceships

pretend we never saw any of this

Is that all it would take? Makes sense in theory since the orbit of the planet would help shift the core and keep it moving. Without an active tectonic system wouldn't it eventually stop again? Assuming it has a core that can be liquid. Hm. How the hell does the core stay liquid? Seems like it would get solid pretty quickly.

IIRC, ours remains the way it is because of how thick and dense our planet is. Mars being smaller would have cooled faster, same with the moon. But I am not a Scientist.

Lh96QHG.png

Well I was kidding about the nukes. Keeping the core moving and resuming tectonic activity is what's necessary for the magnetosphere to be rebuilt though.

bah. I'm really worried at this point that I'll have ME3's ending specifically because I've been told it was bad so very many times.

Counting on my natural contrariness to help me enjoy the game!

They're giving us free DLC that expands the ending, I'm told.

This would, actually, fix all my problems with it. Everyone else is being stupid.

ftOqU21.png
    ME3 came in the mail two weeks ago and I still haven't started it.

The fall of the Roman Empire was pretty drastic to Europe as far as I knew, which is why it was "the dark ages" lots of independent areas, gothic/lombard/islamic invasions, no more communication like you had with Rome, it was chaos.

This was the Islamic Renaissance though.

That'll improve.

Your optimism is stupid.

The shuttle needed to be shut down and Constellation was an awful program from start to finish. The current plan, to get SpaceX and company up and running is the best option out there. NASA shouldn't be designing new rockets. They should be coming up with mission architectures that can use the existing plethora of rockets. We know we can assemble shit in space, just look at the ISS. The SLS is completely unnecessary and a joke. even if it gets built (which it never will) there won't be a payload for it to launch or a mission to support. It'll be horrendously expensive to operate and SpaceX will likely beat it to the punch with the heavy lift version of the Falcon. Basically NASA is doing a great job at what it was designed to do, which is pour money into certain congressional districts. Advancing mankind's presence in space, not so much its strength.

Mass Effect 3 ending: "Congraturation! You are winner!"

It takes a very, very, very long time for something as big and as hot as earth to cool down. Radioactive decay makes the process even slower.

Mars is a lot smaller, so it cooled a lot faster.

Also I'm pretty sure we have something like a billionth of the amount of nukes we'd need to melt Mars' core.

ftOqU21.png

It takes a very, very, very long time for something as big and as hot as earth to cool down. Radioactive decay makes the process even slower.

Mars is a lot smaller, so it cooled a lot faster.

Also I'm pretty sure we have something like a billionth of the amount of nukes we'd need to melt Mars' core.

It appears that our solution, then, is a massive nuclear buildup!

This discussion has been closed.