As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Died During [chat] Creation

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd like to shift the military's budget to NASA and space exploration, that'd be kinda neat. I'd probably take half of it and put it towards renewable energy sources and fusion technology though, because fuck oil dependency. Also a huge mass transit infrastructure.

I'd be the weirdest president.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I think our ability to terraform any other place is rather constrained by our ability to send at best very small amounts of anything to them, at great expense

That'll improve.

Not really, given the current pattern of behavior vis a vis space and science spending.

We're likely going to go backwards on space technology for the next fifty years or so. We already got rid of reusable space ships, and we're one delete key from getting rid of Apollo era technology.

I don't have much hope for space exploration in the near future.

What that does mean is that in fifty years President A Man From Earth will be able to launch a brilliant new space program using 100 year old technology that will have been rediscovered.

Getting rid of the space shuttle wasn't a step backwards. They weren't good ideas.

And in fifty years, we will have better technology. We will be better at everything. That is what we do.

Can I introduce you to modern western civilization?

The boomers have thrown there hands up in the air and said "welp, we had it good but somehow things are shit for everyone after us"

I would very much like that not to be the case, and I plan on doing everything I can to keep it from being the case, but current trends would say that we're entering a period of voluntary decline.

We're at a liminal period in history. We can chose Star Trek or Mad Max right now to head toward and the people in charge are going for the cheaper, more Australian one. It's just a question on whether or not the rest of us are going to stop them.

Modern american civilization, is what you are talking about. You are talking about small irrelevant political eddies in one nation, here.

And what trends. What trends are saying science in america is dying? That progress will halt? It doesn't! It never does!

The world is generally and on balance, a better place to live this year than it was last year.

Your pessimism is stupid.

Right, cause Europe is so much better right now at that whole "lost generation thing"

And certainly the nerfing of the space program in the richest and most space programy country doesn't matter.

Your optimism is stupid.

This is what happens when Republicans grow bitter and turn their faces from the core of our political identity: America, Fuck Yeah.

AMFE: America!

Fuck yeah.

America needs to fuck off

this hyper patriotism is not only unbearably obnoxious but also destructive

JKKaAGp.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    The fall of the Roman Empire was pretty drastic to Europe as far as I knew, which is why it was "the dark ages" lots of independent areas, gothic/lombard/islamic invasions, no more communication like you had with Rome, it was chaos.

This was the Islamic Renaissance though.

Yes, and I wasn't trying to discount the parts o the world that were fine, but I was point out that specific societies can backslide.

And I'd be interested in finding out what a Rome level collapse would do to a globalized society.

I'm betting not much since money can just move in from other parts of the world.

Lh96QHG.png
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    ME3 came in the mail two weeks ago and I still haven't started it.
    dogg

dogg

at least play multi

it's been like three weeks, everyone is probably ready to quit! get on that while there's still time!

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm afraid no one will play ME3 multi once I want to.

Which is tonight. I want to ME3 Multi tonight. my gamertag is 'spool32 austin'

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I am way more interested in learning what Mars was like before it lost its atmosphere and surface water than I am in terraforming and colonizing it. It would be the ultimate geological survey.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    The problem is without a magnetosphere any atmosphere you throw at it will blow away

we would need to go The Core on its ass

The largest problem. Can you create a magnetosphere, I wonder?

The magnetic field around planets is caused by the dynamo effect of the core's rotation inside the planet.

So blow nukes up down there to get the core moving again!

Is that all it would take? Makes sense in theory since the orbit of the planet would help shift the core and keep it moving. Without an active tectonic system wouldn't it eventually stop again? Assuming it has a core that can be liquid. Hm. How the hell does the core stay liquid? Seems like it would get solid pretty quickly.

It takes a very, very, very long time for something as big and as hot as earth to cool down. Radioactive decay makes the process even slower.

Mars is a lot smaller, so it cooled a lot faster.

Also I'm pretty sure we have something like a billionth of the amount of nukes we'd need to melt Mars' core.

It appears that our solution, then, is a massive nuclear buildup!

I doubt earth has enough uranium.

Or that we'd be able to like, get them into the core of Mars.

the solution is just to suck up the radiation.

Or curing cancer.

ftOqU21.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd like to shift the military's budget to NASA and space exploration, that'd be kinda neat. I'd probably take half of it and put it towards renewable energy sources and fusion technology though, because fuck oil dependency. I'd also build a massive mass transit infrastructure with mag-lev rails (and more superconductor research) and bullet trains, and local transit systems for most rural and urban areas to help connect to them to larger ones and reduce the need to own a car even if you live out in boonfuck.

I would be the weirdest president.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mass Effect 3 ending: "Congraturation! A winner is you!"

Psn:wazukki
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The problem is without a magnetosphere any atmosphere you throw at it will blow away

The magnetic field around planets is caused by the dynamo effect of the core's rotation inside the planet.

Is that all it would take? Makes sense in theory since the orbit of the planet would help shift the core and keep it moving. Without an active tectonic system wouldn't it eventually stop again? Assuming it has a core that can be liquid. Hm. How the hell does the core stay liquid? Seems like it would get solid pretty quickly.

It takes a very, very, very long time for something as big and as hot as earth to cool down. Radioactive decay makes the process even slower.

Also I'm pretty sure we have something like a billionth of the amount of nukes we'd need to melt Mars' core.

Or curing cancer.

Couldn't we build some kind of artificial magnetosphere? Or just over whatever settlements we build. Like, over a canyon or something.

Lh96QHG.png
    Like a big ass faraday cage or something.

Lh96QHG.png
    Elendil wrote: »
    ME3 came in the mail two weeks ago and I still haven't started it.
    dogg

dogg

at least play multi

it's been like three weeks, everyone is probably ready to quit! get on that while there's still time!

Nah, the multiplayer was fun but not fun enough. I am tired of buying a Live subscription and then never using it after a couple weeks. I'm done playing multiplayer Xbox.

Or curing cancer.

Couldn't we build some kind of artificial magnetosphere? Or just over whatever settlements we build. Like, over a canyon or something.

Like a dome? The magnetosphere repels the solar wind and protects the ozone layer from being eroded which protects us from radiation. On a small scale I think it'd be easier to just use physical structures or build underground for protection.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    We're never going to find protean technology unless we get off this damned planet.

Have you finished 3? It really isn't worth it. :)

Not a spoiler, just an LOL Mass Effect 3's ending was bad.

bah. I'm really worried at this point that I'll have ME3's ending specifically because I've been told it was bad so very many times.

Counting on my natural contrariness to help me enjoy the game!

They're giving us free DLC that expands the ending, I'm told.

This would, actually, fix all my problems with it. Everyone else is being stupid.
    The problems that the ending has cannot be fixed without junking it. Clarification cannot get rid of massive plot holes, or tremendous thematic inconsistency.

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »
    I want jambalaya.

I have no jambalaya.
    man. me too.

i didn't even know how much i wanted jambalaya until you said that.
    It is the worst injustice that we do not have jambalaya right now.
    I made jambalaya a couple of weeks ago.

It's really easy if you have a slow cooker.
    tell me more
    @DasUberEdward Just find a slow cooker recipe on the internets. It's really difficult to fuck up. I even made a bunch of changes and substitutions, and mine still came out just fine.

You cut up some vegetables, dump in some diced tomatoes, add a couple types of meat, and you're set.

Also the way you guys describe the higher level scenarios in the multiplayer sets off my bullshit detector.

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Right, no work to do. Download Kerbal Space Program? Why the fuck not?

Or curing cancer.

A tiny magnetic field? You could, but it wouldn't do any good.

the magnetic field doesn't really directly stop radiation, but it helps the athmosphere stay.

Mars lost its water due to, roughly, hydrogen hopping off the top of the athmosphere, due to solar wind and just the motion molecules have. Our magnetosphere helps capture some of these molecules that hop off again.

Our gravity of course is what mostly keeps it in place. Mars has lower gravity, and thus a thinner athmosphere. A thinner athmosphere stops less radiation.

If me artificially thickened the athmosphere of Mars, it wouldn't be stable, but that would be irrelevant - if we were able to increase the athmosphere, then obviously we're capable of counteracting the gradual loss of it. It's very slow, anyway.

ftOqU21.png
    We're never going to find protean technology unless we get off this damned planet.

bah. I'm really worried at this point that I'll have ME3's ending specifically because I've been told it was bad so very many times.

This would, actually, fix all my problems with it. Everyone else is being stupid.
    The problems that the ending has cannot be fixed without junking it. Clarification cannot get rid of massive plot holes, or tremendous thematic inconsistency.

Was none. See second part of my statement.

ftOqU21.png
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Right, no work to do. Download Kerbal Space Program? Why the fuck not?

I wish I had bought it when it was cheaper. The paid version adds cool things like moon landing pieces and concurrent flights.

Dynagrip wrote: »
    I hope this company isn't a bunch of bullshit.

http://www.coolplanetbiofuels.com/

I'd love to be a part of their team. Climate change is like one of the top 3 threats to mankind right now and it'd be awesome to be at the forefront of fighting it. Alas. maybe I should get a master's in environmental science. But I want something big picture. not helping design a widget for a pump or whatever.

A good rule of thumb is that any sales pitch is atleast 80% bullshit

ftOqU21.png

Was none. See second part of my statement.

I'm not stupid, your face is stupid.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    And science most certainly does halt. The dark ages, for one, it took until the renaissance for us to relearn things that the Greeks and Romans knew.

Culture, science, and quality of living doesn't trend upward for always, it needs to be protected.

Standard of living is going to be lower for every post Boomer generation and they keep stopping us from doing the things necessary to fix them. That's the trend I was talking about.

It's a solvable thing, I agree, and most of the time I think we'll be able to kick its ass and am optimistic, but ignoring the problem is goosey.

Didn't Science march on in China and even the Eastern Empire during the Dark Ages?

Not to mention the Ottoman turks were pretty advanced in engineering and math

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Abby have you even done any engineering stuff?

It's a fairly challenging degree, and you don't even know if you like it enough to dedicate most of your waking life to it yet no?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Do you people not remember what we came from?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evKkHi_qmo

Leitner wrote: »

It's a fairly challenging degree, and you don't even know if you like it enough to dedicate most of your waking life to it yet no?

When would I have done any engineering stuff? I'm 20!

And I'm not torn beetween engineering and not engineering

I do want to be an engineer. I'm just not sure what kind.

ftOqU21.png
    The two engineering courses I took were so dull and tedious.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    And science most certainly does halt. The dark ages, for one, it took until the renaissance for us to relearn things that the Greeks and Romans knew.
    I'm pretty sure I've heard this called out as a misrepresentation of the times by the medieval historians I know.

Would you rather be alive in ancient Greece or medieval England?
    The correct answer is Greece.

There are more places than Greece and England! I would rather live in medieval Baghdad or Shanghai
    The correct answer is Greece.

Uh... No.

Maybe we should skip over Mars and just go to Titan?

or Europa

What we need is the Firstborn to come help us out.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    ALPHA CENTAURI OR BUST

Isn't Titan basically just a big ball of fossil fuels

or Europa

What if there isn't a liquid sea under the ice anyway

then you're stuck there getting irradiated by jupiter

ftOqU21.png
    should I start another novella with a less ridiculous plot and serious focus on writing plenty of description to go with the dialog

y/b

• LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote: »

When would I have done any engineering stuff? I'm 20!

And I'm not torn beetween engineering and not engineering

I do want to be an engineer. I'm just not sure what kind.

Work experience, classes in college, or other contact with the field?

I'm just saying, I've seen a couple people going into Uni, with a single self actualised perception of what they wanted to be (med students in this case, but eh) and then realise that wait, they actually sort of hate this.

The fallout wasn't pretty.

No. They're not fossil fuels :P

ftOqU21.png

No. They're not fossil fuels :P

well they're obviously not from organic life but hydrocarbon based compounds that are very similar to fossil fuels :P

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

or Europa

What if there isn't a liquid sea under the ice anyway

then you're stuck there getting irradiated by jupiter

You're all wrong.

We should crash comets into Venus until enough of it's atmosphere is sheared off for it to cool the fuck the down and develop some oceans.

The planet thereafter practically terraforms itself.

I mean come on: all we have to do is what we're good at - cause some planet-ending cataclysms.

should I start another novella with a less ridiculous plot and serious focus on writing plenty of description to go with the dialog

y/b

I'm going to go with no.

"Plenty of description" is not a good thing. "Sufficient description" is.

Lh96QHG.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

y/b

You shouldn't try to write anything in particular, just go and write.

This discussion has been closed.