Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Horus Heresy] Game 3! Traitor Spaceport Victory!

FaranguFarangu I am a beardy manWith a beardy planRegistered User regular
edited May 2012 in Critical Failures
HHBanner.gif
The skies of Earth are black with dust and ash. The land is split by gigantic fissures and its tectonic plates groan with stress. Mountain chains shiver; seas have evaporated to become barren deserts. Blood and ash rain from the darkening sky. Astropathic choirs sing evil portents and men go mad with fear.

The fleet of Horus hangs in orbit over the ravaged world. The defenders of Terra stand ready. Brother fights brother, and the universe hangs in the balance.

Overview:
Spoiler:
Object:
Spoiler:
Rules stuff:
Spoiler:

Farangu on
farangu.png

Come join my Let's Play of Total War: Rome II! Boss around some Gauls!

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Battle! Wall of Text!
    Spoiler:

Hero Reference:
    Spoiler:
    Round Reference:
    Spoiler:
    The idea is to have each "player" consist of a group of players collectively controlling the action. This will give as many people possible exposure to the game. Especially those on the fence about whether or not to buy it.

Also, there will be one house rule for this game: Players CAN retreat from co-existence battles. We will be using this handy dandy Hand Tracker website, since there are a large number of cards to keep track of, so I have made an account for the Empire and Traitor sides. When people have joined I will give them access to the accounts.

If the folks that sign up are mostly new players, we will play the starting scenario. If we get mostly people that have played the game before, then we will try one of the later scenarios that throw in a few tricks. I'd like teams of 2 per each side, possibly with a mentor for each side if we have enough interest.

The board will be kept here:
    Spoiler:

And the strategic map here:
    Spoiler:

And the initiative track here:
    Spoiler:

Forces of Chaos:
    Icerimp
    Mr. Mojo Risin

Forces of the Imperium:
    blahmcblah
    SeGaTai

Thanks to Mordenthral for the intro wrap up, and Adam Bloom for the Hand Tracker website.

Farangu on
    farangu.png

• DarianDarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Looks interesting, as always. Hopefully some players will pop up. You might want to announce recruitment in the boardgame thread, as well.

Darian on
  • IcerimpIcerimp Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    While I have no idea how to play this, I'd like to give it a shot.

Icerimp on
    edited April 2012
    Fair enough. Would you like to side with The Emperor's Loyal Servants or The Traitorous Forces of Chaos?

Also with any luck we will get an advisor for each side.

Farangu on
    farangu.png

And for those who are brand new and don't feel like combing through spoiler trees, here's the link to the Rule PDF from Fantasy Flight's website.

farangu.png

I'm reading over the rules now. Chaos sounds like a good time, though.

Horus's forces gain a new commander in Icerimp.

farangu.png

• blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    Oh lordy, I am involved in SO MANY games right now, but I just can't pass on this. !signup for The Imperium I guess. At least I'm blue or yellow in every game, so I shouldn't get too confused, right?

Playing: "Caprica" Six in Exodus Game 12 of Battlestar Galactica
    President Romo Lampkin in BSG: Daybreak Game 1
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    If I wasn't about to go on holiday for two weeks I would be totally up for this!
    Now I am sad!

edited April 2012
    Blahmcblah has taken his oath of moment.

1 more person for each team, possibly a mentor, and we'll be good to go. We'll most likely be going with the introductory scenario, unless Ice gets a partner with some experience with the game.

Farangu on
    farangu.png

• jakobaggerjakobagger KøbenhavnRegistered User regular
    I've played a couple of times, so I guess I can be a junior advisor and/or reserve. Wouldn't mind additional team mates though.

Oh and: down with the false emperor, long live the Warmaster!

SrvYUfN.png
    bgg / steam / goodreads / Origin: Bygasto
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Certainly happy to help blahmcblah push back the forces of Chaos-Regent of Terra is a fitting title don't you think?

PSN SeGaTai
    edited April 2012
    Well, well, welll, SeGaTai. I wonder whether being a traitor to the so-called traitor side makes you loyal or just a double traitor?

jakobagger on
    SrvYUfN.png
    Double traitor or double double traitor...

PSN SeGaTai
    So you two would be the advisors? Or would you like to play this round?

farangu.png

I'm fine just advising or whatever blahmchblah wants

PSN SeGaTai
    Jako can play also if he'd like. Plenty of chaos to go around.

Hmm. Might have enough experienced people to not do the starting-out scenario, which I see played way too often.

farangu.png

• blahmcblahblahmcblah President Klepto In your Quorum, stealing your pensRegistered User regular
    I'm happy with SeGaTai playing.

edited April 2012
    Teams is nice for this just because a lot of the battles it's pretty obvious what cards to play and that's where you can spend a lot of time in PbP.

Fine with starting-out scenario or other ones.

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
    I'm good with any scenario.

Cool. It looks like we have our teams then, unless any other interested parties jump in. I'll be setting up the game details and such when I get home from work tonight. I have Google spreadsheets listing all the units available, so if you guys pm me your gmail names, ill add you to them. Looks like we will be able to get started tonight!

farangu.png

I'll just be an advisor/reserve for the rebel team, since I'm already playing all the games. I've only tried Brother against Brother, so I vote for that.

SrvYUfN.png
  • Mr. Mojo RisinMr. Mojo Risin Registered User regular
    If theres still room, I wouldnt mind learning how to play this if not then ill just try to catch the next game.

steam_sig.png
    Ok, so maybe one more person can join.

farangu.png

If its going to be a pain at all or you will have to delay the start, just leave me out and ill just follow along and join the next one.

steam_sig.png
    There's a spot in the chaos team for you if you want, mojo

farangu.png

Awesome sign me up then

steam_sig.png
    Alright then. It looks like it will be Mojo Risin and Icerimp against the armies of SeGaTai and blahmcblah. If you haven't sent me your gmail account name, do so and I'll get you into the listing of units available to you. I'll also PM you guys the login info for each team on the hand tracker website, so you guys can share your hand info between each other.

Since the Chaos team is new to the game, we'll be doing the introductory Brother vs. Brother scenario. I'll be setting up the board accordingly. I'll let you guys know when we're ready to start.

farangu.png

edited April 2012
    "The fleets dropped out of Warp space in precision, as if they had practiced this maneuver a thousand times. And, in fact, they had. They were simply following a procedure for initiating a bombardment of a world, followed by planet fall. It was to the credit of the Legions that they attended to their Drop Pods and Thunderhawks with precision, as if nothing was different. For this was the first time that Holy Terra herself had come under siege. And from her own children, no less.

It was on the Thirteenth Day of Secundus that the bombardment begun..."

And the game has begun! The first thing to resolve is the corruption of certain forces on the ground by Chaos. The Chaos team chooses 12 ground units, either Imperial Armies or Tank Divisions. They then draw a Bombardment card for each one. If the bombardment card shows an Eagle, the unit fights for the Emperor. If the card shows a Star, the unit changes sides and fights for Chaos. If a unit resists corruption, they may not be targeted again.

Also, if anyone has issues discerning the different icons on the map, let me know. The photos came out a bit...dark.

Farangu on
    farangu.png

Sorry, will have targets up shortly. Just wanted to check on heroes though. Is that Rogal Dorn in space A underneath Motarion at Eternity Wall Spaceport? And is that Angron at Spaceport Primus?

Yes. Angron is at Spaceport Primus. Rogal Dorn is at space A. Mortarion is at the Eternity Wall Spaceport. The Emperor is at D. Sanguinius is at G. The Fabricator General is at the Volcanus Complex. Khan is at the Librarium Technologicus.

farangu.png

edited April 2012
    No, that looks up to snuff. I'll update the board later tonight, Heading out for work in a few.

But in the meantime, Chaos can now perform the other pre-game step: Orbital Bombardments. Chaos chooses four areas to get softened up by some artillery(At this time, though, you cannot choose a fortification, factory or the palace). Before you draw a bombardment card for each area, declare whether your strikes will be reckless or precise. After you do so, draw a card for each region(You can alternate being reckless and precise if you so choose). The first number on the card is the precise damage, the second is the reckless. If there is a B on the card, you have breached any fortification that borders that area. If there is a D, there is no effect.

EDIT: Board is up to date.

Farangu on
    farangu.png

edited April 2012
    Also, since the Tower of Shadows is now held by Chaos, the Defense Laser there is dismantled. As for the map, I only have the pictures of Khorne Chaos units that are not space marines, so if Chaos deploys Cultists/Warbands/Titans/Daemons of a different God, please say so as you do so.

Farangu on
    farangu.png

Reckless Bombardment on Damocles.
    Reckless Bombardment on 29.
    Precise Bombardment on 29.
    Precise Bombardment on 14.

Note to self: bombarding recklessly is a good way to frustrate yourself.

One more pre-game thing. Chaos players may choose 4 of their starting Port Landing and Drop Pods order cards, in any order, and place them in any region on the strategic map. You must say in-thread how many cards are going into which region, then PM me which exact card is going there. After this is done, the game begins in earnest.

farangu.png

Also: You are going to kill your own infantry in 14?

farangu.png