As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jack Bros./Shin Megami Tensei] - P4G is out! Have you Social Linked yet?

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »
    Honestly. I'm kinda of the same mind at this point. P3 was good at the time, then P4 came out, but I REALLY hope P5 doesn't have social links. It's GONNA, I can tell. But I wish it didn't.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. P4 is one of my all time favorites, but I really wish P5 is more focused and the social links are at least less intrusive.

And for God's sake make the inevitable social links actually affect dialogue and story in yhe main game. For all the shit that Bioware gets, that's the one thing they get right.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Since we're all wishing for shit that will never happen, I hope the rumor mechanics from Persona 2 make a comeback.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Next Persona game is entirely underwater. The MC is a dolphin and you attend sea creature school with other sea creatures. Social Links are other sea creatures, marine biologists, or friendly divers. For example, Star would be a starfish, Hermit is an Anglerfish, Emperor is Poseidon, and so on. Come on, it practically writes itself!

sig.gif
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Jurg wrote: »
    Next Persona game is entirely underwater. The MC is a dolphin and you attend sea creature school with other sea creatures. Social Links are other sea creatures, marine biologists, or friendly divers. For example, Star would be a starfish, Hermit is an Anglerfish, Emperor is Poseidon, and so on. Come on, it practically writes itself!
    To be honest, I would actually play that.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Don't be a fool.
    Hermit would be a hermit crab and you know it.

For those of you who can't wait for P4A's story mode: you'd better invest in some replacement A buttons, because you're going to be needing them. Great googly-moogly.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Dialogue heavy? Yaaaay.

At last all those Elizabeth/Yosuke shippers get their wish.

Wait, what?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NintenNinten Registered User regular
    I am not a huge fan of P3, but it felt more like the older MegaTen games. Can't really say the same about P4.

• Options
    P3 felt like it was in this limbo between old grimdark SMT and lighter tone of new Persona that made it relatively unappealing to me. Personally, I like P4 more since it went all out and distanced itself with the old SMT games completely.

P3 had a robot and a dog as important characters and expected me to take it seriously. I mean, suspension of disbelief only goes so far in a serious story. Aegis is very obviously a robot, having permanent headphones on her head, hooves for feet ect. and nobody seems to notice. P4 has the same problems with Teddy, but at least he had a very good disguise and the general tone of the game just made it humorous, not ridiculous.

That said, I really miss the old MegaTen games' tone and aesthetics and wish they'd bring them back in some form. It's looking increasingly unlikely though :(

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Persona 5 should be Catherine with Social Links.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Official announcement.
    http://agtp.romhack.net/pantheon/index.php?topic=550
    So I´m sure the big burning question on most peoples´ minds is, "What took you so long?" The short version is that while most of Shin Megami Tensei: if... (hereafter SMTif) is technically identical to SMT2, one crucial part of the game is different: font storage. While SMT2 stores its font right out in the open, SMTif´s is compressed. This by itself would not normally be a problem, but instead of unpacking the entire thing to RAM like some games do, SMTif unpacks individual letters - making my usual workaround for these sorts of things largely ineffective. I´ve had project files (including a complete script dump) for if sitting on my hard drive since 2008, but it wasn´t until May of last year that we got the font stuff fully sorted out, thanks to veteran romhacker Neil_ who you may know from the Partial Translations version of Dragon Quest 5, among other things! So not only has it been a long and arduous process getting it even this far, it´s been an interesting job keeping quiet about it :) I initially wanted to announce work on this much sooner, but didn´t have anything to show for it until recently.

Ian Kelley returns to do the script, so stylistically it´ll be similar to SMT 1 and 2. We´re largely adopting official naming conventions for spells, items, demon races, etc when available. There are a few notable deviations (we´re considering Fey or Fae for the yosei race due to its largely celtic membership, as opposed to Fairy) but by and large we´re conforming. I also elected to go with a fully proportional font for this one; compare the screenshots below to SMT2 to see the difference. There are a few other technical improvements I´d like to look into, such as expanded item and equipment names in subscreens, that´s going to come after I´m done with the rest of it.

So don´t expect this immediately, or possibly even soon. It´s a process, and it´s not nearly done yet. But I´m hoping that despite SMTif´s distant ETA, this announcement will make a lot of people happy.

2012-04-1416.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shin Megami Tensei: If... is an alternate tale of SMT 1 isn't it? One where Japan was never destroyed by an nuke?

• Options
    Yep. Some idiot named Hazama decides he's going to summon demons, and everything goes to hell.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    It's also basically proto-Persona.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Personally(and I told Gideon as such at RHDN), I'd prefer Fae over Fey, but Fairy is okay too.

They're considering Wyrm instead of Snake too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I really should get back into emulation again. I used to always get the games that never made it over here to the US with the translation patches. I've played quite a few good ones. Okay... you'll bring "Secret of the Stars" over, but not "Live-a-Live"? Tch...

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Dialogue heavy? Yaaaay.

At last all those Elizabeth/Yosuke shippers get their wish.

Wait, what?

That's...not actually a thing, is it?

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    I hope not.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    So I've never really played BlazBlue. I bought the Vita game now. Not sure it's really my thing. Can someone explain the link between P4A and BlazBlue? Is it made by the same people or something? I know people have mentioned BlazBlue a lot here, so I'm just trying to understand how they relate.

• Options
    Same developers. That's it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    OK, thanks.

Also, two playthroughs of DS:O done. My second playthrough was roughly 13 hours, because I was making sure I didn't engage any free battles and none of my characters died. I had to grind EXP in one of the NG+ battles. I almost couldn't beat the final boss on... (spoilers)
    Gin's route. Not because I wasn't powerful enough, but because he kept targeting Yuzu from all the way across the screen with double Power Hits and I didn't have any physical resist on her. I had also just saved over my suspend save. I had to keep restarting until he missed once. Then Babel was toast.

I'm more or less skipping everything but the essentials this time, so hopefully it will be a lot quicker - though I might have to do some free battle grinding near the end. I guess I'll shoot for... (spoilers)
    Amane's route now, so I can unlock the rest of the fusions and beat Lucifer. I think this means I can't get Magic Yin until my NEXT playthrough, but that's alright.

Drez on
  • Options
    So, the announcement of If's translation means that I will be able to finish the game.

Got stuck in the 4th dungeon.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Is this showing? Cause I really hope it does.

YnQuc.jpg

More P4U goodness here: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201204/20013291.html

(You know the drill with famitsu... copy paste ect)

EVOL on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Akihiko is so smug.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    He certainly looks..different.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    In real non Persona news, Revelations:TDS was released this week on the 3DS VC.

In Japan.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    He also looks 10 years older than his real age.

edit: 2 posts late damnit

EVOL on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Man look at that main menu.

So many options.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    So I just got multi-strike for Hinako. I think I'm in love.

• Options
    Ghostlight announced DSO and DS2 for a PAL release.

Thank God. I don't have to import DS2.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    There's a picture of that scene? Son of a bitch.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ninten wrote: »
    Ghostlight announced DSO and DS2 for a PAL release.

Thank God. I don't have to import DS2.

...You know DS2 is available on Amazon for £25.48 right now? :P (Lames, paid £40 for it on release. Oh well)

DS:O is excellent news though, seeing as the 3DS is region-locked. Will definitely pick that up, if only to encourage them to keep doing so (and maybe bring us EO4 in time).

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Akihiko is so smug.

Chie's like "Bring that shit." So hype!

EDIT: It looks like Chie lost whatever was in the plastic bag. If it was steak, Akihiko is screwed.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Is Aki's face the usual "Did you see that Shinji"?

• Options
    full.jpg

Not quite.

Also, more P2 EP stuff, and a dang good look at Baofu:

http://andriasang.com/con0qp/p2_eternal_punishment_screens/

full.jpg

I never saw his eyes before.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I didn't even know he had a beard!

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Me neither!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Persona 5 should incorporate Alternate Reality Gaming elements. Like, you have to walk around town and make at least one real friend in your neighborhood, and that becomes a Social Link.

• Options
    Well I finally got Devil Survivor 2. That was quick. I guess.

Any tips? Or should I go in blind? I played the first one btw.

• Options
    Assassinate = game breaker.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Persona 5 should incorporate Alternate Reality Gaming elements. Like, you have to walk around town and make at least one real friend in your neighborhood, and that becomes a Social Link.
    ...friends? You mean like in games?

This discussion has been closed.