As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jack Bros./Shin Megami Tensei] - P4G is out! Have you Social Linked yet?

• KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    There's another thing we're not considering.

Putting a game on a modern console (PS3, 360, specifically) pushes an expectation of a certain amount of graphics quality. While were likely not talking about another Makai Wars, Sony vs NIS screwjob, Atlus would be expected to do a graphics engine at least better than say, Nocturne, in order to not be laughed off of Metacritic.

That costs time and money. Lots of both.

Generally speaking, no one's going to care how a 3DS or Vita game looks. At the very least, they can get away with sprite based, or faster to develop systems that won't cost them an arm and a leg.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    ...Don't they already have that with Catherine?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Quite a few of the now numerous PS3 JRPGs are basically upscaled PS2 games.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Ya know, that's a good point. But Catherine was a puzzle game, not a 40+ hour RPG -- isn't there a difference in expectations?

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Still, graphics like that couldn't have come cheap, and they won't even be using GameBryo for their next project.

wVEsyIc.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    They'll just have to do a Steam game :D

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    They won't make a steam game when their primary market doesn't generally own PCs.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Yeah, Catherine had like, 12 characters tops, a couple different areas, some bosses. Theey didn't have to make high quality models of a bajillion demons or an overworld or 2 dozen dungeons.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    As a consumer, the only thing I care about really is that if I want to play SMTIV, I'll have to shell out the money for a 3DS, which I would prefer to not do. That being said, I'm happy there's an SMTIV rather than no SMT. I suppose I'll watch an LP of it or something.

Akilae on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Ya know, that's a good point. But Catherine was a puzzle game, not a 40+ hour RPG -- isn't there a difference in expectations?

Not really, Most Atlus games are still pretty niches(I'm talking 100-200k range if that), and well niche titles tend to get away with not looking the best compared to the AAA blockbuster stuff.

Hell, like XoB said, good deal of JRPGs this gen pretty much look like PS2 games with better shaders.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Look at what N1 can get away with. I wouldn't worry much about that without a special reason.

Edit: The problem is that reasons for buying a 3DS are piling up.

PLA on
    I wish I could have given Naoto's S.Link a chance. All I see in her is "Japan being creepy."

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I wish I could have given Naoto's S.Link a chance. All I see in her is "Japan being creepy."

Really not seeing it, please explain?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    Shen wrote: »

Isn't Naoto the F2M Transsexual? Or was Naoto the little sister?

Sure, but that's not really creepy, or even Japanese. It's a kid working through some issues and it's handled pretty well, if resolved rather too rapidly.

ladi.png
  • Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular

Naoto is a transvestite. She just dresses and acts like a guy. Nanoko is the main character's little cousin

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

You're thinking of a Catherine character.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »

You're thinking of a Catherine character.

No, that character is Transgendered, there actually is a difference.
    All the official art and fanart has shown that Naoto is the hottest of the potential love interests though, so... Grind that courage, arcadians!

No, you're right. I'm all "why oh why is she cross dressing," and I'm playing Arena and the kid really is a genius.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've never heard of someone being so freaked out about a girl wearing slacks and a button-up shirt before.

Yeah Naoto is pretty great. It's just too bad she joins the party so late in the game, I didn't really get to do much of her social link so I feel like I didn't get to see as much character stuff from her as I did the other characters.

If P5 is indeed just a mish-mash of characters from other Persona games, I hope she makes the cut.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
    To be fair, wasn't Naoto being a girl supposed to be a spoiler? Or is it fairly obvious right away?

Yeah...Girls dressing like boys is quite common...and not all that strange really.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Well Naoto is a lot like Kanji in that they both struggle with societal gender norms and their own gender identity.

Meh, technically it's a spoiler but I knew right away. Very feminine voice.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Yeah Naoto is pretty great. It's just too bad she joins the party so late in the game, I didn't really get to do much of her social link so I feel like I didn't get to see as much character stuff from her as I did the other characters.

If P5 is indeed just a mish-mash of characters from other Persona games, I hope she makes the cut.

Am i in the minority for not wanting P5 to be a mishmash or the previous persona games? I would much rather have P5 be another new game that's not obviously connected to the previous ones.

edited September 2012
    I kinda feel bad hooking up with Chie or Naoto, it feels like you're cockblocking Yosuke and Kanji, y'know?
    PA-i-have-that-DVD.jpg

I am down with whatever for P5, honestly. If they stick with social links, uni/college could be a pretty interesting setting. If they deviate from that, then seeing members from the previous games would work better. I don't actually know where they've taken things though, because Arena still isn't out here :(

Shen on
    ladi.png
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Naoto's character isn't creepy or "oh, Japan." at all (she is horribly boring and wildly overrated, but that's a different rant/opinion)

Her Romance Path S.Link however is both creepy and "oh, Japan" (her normal/friendship S.Link is okay, though. But also boring, just like her)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Persona 5 should take place in a nursing home. All old people.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Death Link from P4 will be the new MC.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Basically, the P3 cast was using their personas out in the open world, which is harder to do than when inside the midnight channel (where the P4 cast uses their personas). As such, the evokers helped them with summoning. Later in P3, they figure out that they don't actually need them, but it's still easier to use them than not to. That's why Akihiko and Mitsuru still carry around evokers and uses them for certain moves in P4A - they realize that they don't need them, but it's sort of a comfort thing.

Mechanically speaking, the evokers induce a feeling of extreme stress and terror in the user. The "how" part is left unexplained, though. Generally, though, it's just a thematic thing. They were originally going to be tarot cards, but were changed to the gun shape to fit the theme of the game better.

Putting a gun to your head isn't stressful?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Basically, the P3 cast was using their personas out in the open world, which is harder to do than when inside the midnight channel (where the P4 cast uses their personas). As such, the evokers helped them with summoning. Later in P3, they figure out that they don't actually need them, but it's still easier to use them than not to. That's why Akihiko and Mitsuru still carry around evokers and uses them for certain moves in P4A - they realize that they don't need them, but it's sort of a comfort thing.

Mechanically speaking, the evokers induce a feeling of extreme stress and terror in the user. The "how" part is left unexplained, though. Generally, though, it's just a thematic thing. They were originally going to be tarot cards, but were changed to the gun shape to fit the theme of the game better.

Putting a gun to your head isn't stressful?

Well, putting a real gun to your head, yes. Putting a fake one, I'd say, is a lot less stressful. And i'm pretty sure they know it's not a real gun, at least after the first time they use it.

It's probably got some kind of mechanism using magic.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Of course it's magic. The gun even tells people what to do with it, somehow.

But Persona has always had a bunch of mind-magic, with symbols being powerful by being symbols. The "gun-ness" of the gun gunnifies the gungungun.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Death Link from P4 will be the new MC.

Death Link from P4 will have probably lived up to the name by the time P5 roles around.

The OP title is way out of proportion. SMT4 still deserves top billing.

wVEsyIc.png
    SMT is dead to me...

Because i need to buy a 3DS now. :(

If P5 has new characters I say they bring by the edgy-coolness that Evokers had.

Characters will pop "magic" pills to release their personas.

Personas will be unleashed by sticking a needle in your neck like that one survival horror game.

I forgot my brother has Hulu Plus so I finally started the P4 anime. I have low expectations though.

P4 anime is pretty good.

Only thing is that it sticks pretty closely to the game so not much new ground is treaded.

But hey...at least it isn't Trinity Snore.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Super looking forward to P4G. Been playing P3:FES for a bit. About 90 hours in and the Death link just completed... I saw the scene after and Mitsuru is at a meeting now. How much more is there generally?

This discussion has been closed.