Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Jack Bros./Shin Megami Tensei] - P4G is out! Have you Social Linked yet?

The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh...Uh, uh.Registered User regular
edited November 2012 in Games and Technology
cover_large.jpg

Welcome to the Jack Bros. thread! "What is Jack Bros.?" you ask? It's an American Virtual Boy game made for an American audience, a game that has absolutely nothing to do with Japan.

The Story
So it's Halloween. I don't really know what that is, I think it's some American holiday thing, but anyway, it's Halloween, and there's these three brothers: Jack Frost, Jack Lantern and Jack Skelton. Together they form the (wait for it) Jack Bros.! They got bored and decided to scare the crap out of people in our world, except then they had a little too much fun or something, and now they have to get back home before midnight, otherwise...something happens. It's probably something bad.

The Gameplay
And that's where you come in. It's up to you to guide your bro of choice through each area in their epic quest to remember how the hell they got from their world to ours in the first place. Each area is divided into floors, containing nasty monsters and shiny, shiny keys. You need to gather all the keys to move on to the next floor, going deeper inside until you reach the boss - but you'd better be fast, because the clock is ticking, and these fuckers don't mess around. If you screw up and get hit - and you will get hit - you lose time. Somehow. Don't ask me how it works.

The Miscellaneous
There's not really much else to say about this game. I have heard though that the people who made Jack Bros. apparently did some other title nobody's ever heard of, "Sheen Mega-Me Ten Say" or something. I don't know anything about it, but apparently like three people have played it, and they're all from here, so you could ask them about it I guess.

Oh yeah, there's also some other game I don't know much about, some shitty dating sim crap called "Persona" I think. Anyway, it sucks and you can't talk about it here.

The Anonymous on
camo_sig.png

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The Jack Bros are the best and that's a fact.

steam_sig.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970 | Let's Play Avadon 2!
  • KadokenKadoken All in the game, yo Registered User regular
    Too bad the game is expensive, hard to find, and probably worth jack-shit.

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ...and now that I've bought myself some time with that fake OP, here's the real deal.
    MegatenLogo.pnglogo.png
    Welcome to the Shin Megami Tensei thread. SMT, or "MegaTen", is a long-running series of JRPGs nearly as old as Final Fantasy. Depending on who you ask, Pokemon is a cutesy rip-off of these games. But unlike both those titles, there are no generic OMG SO DEEP protagonists with shitty hairdos, no mystical friendly fantasy worlds, and no boring "press attack to win" battles. In SMT, you play as an ordinary human thrust into extraordinary circumstances. Your only power is the ability to call upon demons - mystical beings not of this world - to aid you in battle against all manner of creatures and deities. Since the hero generally can't use magic and is mincemeat compared to a demon, this is fairly important.

But enough of that, let's talk about the games.

SNES Era
    smt1-mcd2.jpg
    Spoiler:
    smt22.jpg
    Spoiler:
    smtif2.jpg
    Spoiler:

PS2 Era
    smt3a.jpg
    Spoiler:

GBA/DS Era
    strangejourneya.jpg
    Spoiler:

More info on spin-offs coming soon.

The Anonymous on
    camo_sig.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Actually a Magical Princess France, ApparentlyRegistered User regular
    You missed one.

rock1_zps5db0432c.png
    NINE doesn't count. :P

camo_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    I just with the fan patch for SMT 1 weren't so ridiculously buggy. But beggars cant be choosers, I suppose...

Please localize SMT1 in english, Atlus.

camo_sig2.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Pfft, from what I remember the SFC version of SMT1 isn't much better if you try to go neutral.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Does Majin Tensei count, because I found it at the (semi-)local second hand store.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Isn't this the first game?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Devil_Story:_Megami_Tensei

That actually makes it older than Final Fantasy. Not to mention if you count the books too.

There's just no pleasing you people, is there? :(

camo_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    I warned you; the bar's pretty high. :P

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    So I heard that Persona game is pretty cool.

• Maz-Maz- Now it's Shulk time! Registered User regular
    So how about them Personas, eh?

Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
    Half of them Personas are pretty good

The other half aren't really nearly as good.

steam_sig.png

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    Then... one of them is half good, half not that good?

fiV9i14.jpg
    Yes, the one that is partly good partly bad is Persona 3.

Persona 1 is the one that is all bad.

Both 2s and 4 are pretty good

steam_sig.png

• JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    So I was playing P3P, and, uh... whoops.

So, the P4 Arena game looks... um.

Strange Journey is, strictly speaking, a videogame. My list of reasons why I don't like it only took 3 hours to type, which is less of a time investment than some other things I don't like. Woo!

sig.gif
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I wonder if it's feasible that I will "beat" DS:O today, at least via one path.

I'm trying to decide which path to choose.

steam_sig.png
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Yes, the one that is partly good partly bad is Persona 3.

Persona 1 is the one that is all bad.

Both 2s and 4 are pretty good

I played through a lot of Persona 1 back when I stupidly bought the UMD version.

I liked:

- The soundtrack (a lot)
    - The dungeons (even the one people bitch about)

It's an annoying game in many ways, but it's not so terrible.

steam_sig.png
    I know it's the "you fail forever" route, but you should consider doing
    Spoiler:
    first since it's actually possible on a first playthrough. I don't even want to think about trying the other routes with the EXP restriction in effect.

camo_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    http://p-atlus.jp/p2x/

First look at high res Baofu in the system section. Still no OP, just screens from it.

cj iwakura on
    fiV9i14.jpg
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Spoiler:
    first since it's actually possible on a first playthrough. I don't even want to think about trying the other routes with the EXP restriction in effect.

is DS:O a lot harder than regular DS? The only route I can see being really hard is atsuros as that final battle is an utter bitch unless you have access to the right skills.

SC2EU/US: Frozenzen.437 Steam: Frozenzen
    edited April 2012
    Jurg wrote: »
    So I was playing P3P, and, uh... whoops.

So, the P4 Arena game looks... um.

Strange Journey is, strictly speaking, a videogame. My list of reasons why I don't like it only took 3 hours to type, which is less of a time investment than some other things I don't like. Woo!

Here's all you need to know about P4A.

Mass Destruction as battle music!

She has access to Mudoon, Hamaon, Maragidyne, Mabufudyne, Maziodyne, and Magarudyne.

Then kills you with Megidolaon.

cj iwakura on
    fiV9i14.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

edit: oh right DS:O...I don't know about that then.

Blackjack on
    steam_sig.png

edited April 2012
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I'm confused about Drain, actually. How does it scale?

Like, my MC has a Mag stat of 36 right now. Is it based on Mag, or on some percentage...or what?

edit: My point being, it is worth it to put Drain on my MC. I'm thinking he should have:

Holy Dance
    Drain
    [something], maybe Recarm?
    Null Phys
    Anti-Most
    Dual Shadow or Endure
    Blitzkrieg or something else, maybe Ying Yang.

Drez on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    It's based on Magic. A Magic of 40 (or close to it) will basically fully restore your HP and MP whenever you use it.

For an auto-skill, I suggest the one that ups spell power by 1.5 but doubles cost. Can't remember if that's Magic Yin or Magic Yang. For your other slot, probably Samarecarm or Mediarahan or Prayer or something like that.

Blackjack on
    steam_sig.png

It's based on Magic. A Magic of 40 (or close to it) will basically fully restore your HP and MP whenever you use it.

For an auto-skill, I suggest the one that ups spell power by 1.5 but doubles cost. Can't remember if that's Magic Yin or Magic Yang. For your other slot, probably Samarecarm or Mediarahan or Prayer or something like that.

I'm pretty sure Yang halves cost. I don't have Yin yet.

steam_sig.png
    I stuck with Yang since having a good Tyrant like Loki in your party basically gives you infinite MP. Free Dual Shadow'd Megidolaons/Holy Dances are the best thing ever.

camo_sig.png
    Drain basically gives you infinite MP too, and Yin will make those Dual Shadow'd Megidolaons/Holy Dances even more powerful. :P

steam_sig.png

• DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    Persona is such an awesome series.

The other stuff is okay I guess.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I'm confused about Drain, actually. How does it scale?

Like, my MC has a Mag stat of 36 right now. Is it based on Mag, or on some percentage...or what?

edit: My point being, it is worth it to put Drain on my MC. I'm thinking he should have:

Holy Dance
    Drain
    [something], maybe Recarm?
    Null Phys
    Anti-Most
    Dual Shadow or Endure
    Blitzkrieg or something else, maybe Ying Yang.

I like spreading my almighty damage over the entire team, so MC gets dance, someone else drain, someone else megidolaon. And go for phys repel, not null since repel makes you immune to pierce. in DS2 I'm running holy dance/samarecarm/elemental weakness of most dangerous mob this fight dance with repel phys/anti most/whatever element I have dance off amp. Once I unlock victory cry I'll just roll with that instead of the amp and maybe get some heal for the last slot to be the ultimate unkillable murdermachine. For passive I currently have blitzkrieg, since I haven't seen the passive that increases magic damage by 50% yet.

SC2EU/US: Frozenzen.437 Steam: Frozenzen
    Just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone fought Philemon in EP yet? Grinding in the final dungeon now.

I have no god-tier ultimates(like Lucifer), but I do have the ultimate base Personae and Beelzebub, so there's that.

fiV9i14.jpg
    Thanks for the advice, everyone.

I'm gonna finish out Day 6 now.

Grazie :)

steam_sig.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Just out of morbid curiosity, has anyone fought Philemon in EP yet? Grinding in the final dungeon now.

I have no god-tier ultimates(like Lucifer), but I do have the ultimate base Personae and Beelzebub, so there's that.
    It's tough, but far from impossible. I was 99 with the god-tiers though so...I don't know if it 's possible without them sorry.

steam_sig.png

• heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Mass Destruction as battle music!

She has access to Mudoon, Hamaon, Maragidyne, Mabufudyne, Maziodyne, and Magarudyne.

Then kills you with Megidolaon.
    So basically there's no reason to play as anyone else.

camo_sig2.png
    The downside to Elizabeth is that she can easily get rushed down, and she has low HP, or so I hear.

Almost at Mr. P's lair. Made it through the final solo battle because Maya's a boss.

Level 65! This should end hilariously badly.

fiV9i14.jpg
    http://www.livestream.com/rhythmgamingobscura?t=875968

It's go time. I'm right outside Philly's door. (This should end badly.)

fiV9i14.jpg
    edited April 2012
    ...Mediarama? Really, cj?

edit: also, you do know you can fusion to make the buffs hit your whole ream, right?

Blackjack on
    steam_sig.png

I couldn't find a Mediarahan. :(

Some things never change.

fiV9i14.jpg
    Make an Urd, rank it to 8 and return it for the Blessing Card, which will teach you Mediarahan.

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.