As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes - PA Guild on Flamehammer!

123457»

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    We need the warrior too, my Paladin's damage is just laughable ): We miss you both equally, gosh.

That's just because you haven't grouped with me, because of your silly obligations and other excuses. You won't need damage, when my sorc is around.

Also, I haven't had more than an hour to dedicate to the game any night in the last 2 weeks.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    KiithKiith Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have to say that i am really enjoying my warrior at the moment. I started dual-weilding last night (dunno why i waited till lvl12 do do it), and i do some nice damage. Its nice taking on enemies 2 levels higher, and same level enemies two at a time. Got my first 400+ crit with a 1-hander last night, at lvl13. I could really do with some better armour though.

The main problem i find is that the server is pretty empty. No one seems to want to, or know how to in some cases, show that they are looking for groups...unless its me that doesnt know how to see it. And as a warrior, it would go alot faster to have a big damage dealing, or healing class around. Also my horse is bloody slow. I can sprint faster then it :(

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I should be back wednesday, after finishing moving on tuesday.

Bought a new computer, should play nice.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll be back friday, right now the girl is in town 8-)

Outfitting is 13 for those wondering. Still too low to be of much use in the house hunt.

Tal on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    The patch notes for my class have been hilarious.

I am ridiculously overpowered compared to every other class I've encountered and the patch notes have been along the line of

"Increased damage globally for all special attacks"

"Increased critical strike chance for X"

etc.

I got my new computer working last night, I'm in the middle of installing everything, I should at least log on tonight for a bit.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I'm deciding if I want to try this game out. If I download the client online, will someone maybe spare me a buddy key please?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Well, I'm deciding if I want to try this game out. If I download the client online, will someone maybe spare me a buddy key please?

If you decide to do it, I've got a few trial keys left.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You know, with the subscriber base being lower than they estimated due to how the release happened, you'd think they would be more willing to get more people trying the game instead of just doing the 1 free pass with the game.
    Or maybe I still just can't grasp the fact that logic and SoE never ever mix.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    skylinerskyliner Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm downloading this game as we speak.

Does an Orc Disciple sound reasonable?

I wanted to roll a Dwarven Cleric, but it sounds as if everyone is a cleric. :(

Edit: How about an Orcish Monk?:|

skyliner on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Any class/race works, theres not really any bad combinations, though there are a few "ideal" ones for min/max'ing type people

Glad someone new is trying it out, now I just need all the old people to come back, it's a bit lonely in the guild atm :(

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Sigil really need to merge the servers in my opinion. I quite enjoyed it, but for a game that is so focused on group play to not have enough players to make a group is just stupid. The only people saying that a server merge would be bad is the crafters that dont want any competition. If the lowered the servers to half the current, and merged them, then i would play again.

And god help the game is SOE buy it out, like they seem to be planning.

Kiith on
    The very existense of flame throwers proves that at sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves "I want to set those people over there on fire, but i'm just not close enough to get the job done."
  • Options
    RendusRendus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I hate to do this, but...

I tried Vanguard briefly during Beta Phase 3, and pretty much scoffed and walked away. I've heard that the game's much, much better than it was then, and I'm hoping to give it another try, but am not quite willing to lay out the cash to do it. Does anyone happen to have a spare buddy pass/demo key/whatever, that they would be willing to part with?

Rendus on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I think i still have my buddy key at home. I'll have a look when i get back, but it will be another 4-5 hours before i am there.

Kiith on
  • Options
    skylinerskyliner Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Foomy wrote: »
    Any class/race works, theres not really any bad combinations, though there are a few "ideal" ones for min/max'ing type people

Glad someone new is trying it out, now I just need all the old people to come back, it's a bit lonely in the guild atm :(

Hm. Reading a bit more leads me to believe playing as an evil race may be a bigger pain than it's worth.

What race would make a good disciple?

skyliner on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kiith wrote: »
    Sigil really need to merge the servers in my opinion. I quite enjoyed it, but for a game that is so focused on group play to not have enough players to make a group is just stupid. The only people saying that a server merge would be bad is the crafters that dont want any competition. If the lowered the servers to half the current, and merged them, then i would play again.

And god help the game is SOE buy it out, like they seem to be planning.
    I wish more MMO developers would comprehend this.

It seems the standard population cap per server is in the 2000-3000 range, regardless of the world size. So the game launches, and it's busy, and it's easy to find a group. But everyone's the same level, that's why. As some people level up and others re-roll and others leave and newbies join, you get your viable group candidate population slashed dramatically. Expansions are typically the worst, too; they'll add enormous amount of in-game lands, but do very little to bring in new subscribers, so the existing player base is spread thinner (this seems to be a real problem City of Heroes/Villains face, because they can't interact with each other - CoV essentially split the population in half).

...so you wind up with the server's-a-ghost-town situation. It fucking sucks. Especially in group-based games.

They need to start piling all the people onto one, massive server, maybe a couple different ones, split geographically or by language. But really, WoW is just about the only game out there that seems justified in having as many servers as it does. I'd rather get a group together and find out the orc camp is already taken or that the dungeon's crowded than spend hours just trying to get a group.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A server merge would be nice, but I seriously just don't see how it can be done because of the plot issues.

Fixing players names I guess could be easy enough by changing one person's name if they happen to be the same, guess the first person to log in gets to keep the original name or something, and all the rest are screwed.

But what I can't figure out is what they would do when 2 people during a merge owned the same plot. If housing was instanced it would be easy, but it's not. So do you just take the plot away from everyone but one player, give them the gold back, and maybe the housing mats and tell them to try and find a new place to live, with the limited amount of plots available?

Foomy on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    My interest in this game has waned somewhat in light of SOE's prophecy of "more involvement" with the development of the game.

I've had plenty enough of SOE's "game design" in the past three years to keep me away for the next decade or so.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Ya, the Sony buyout talks are definatly not good. Maybe it will work for the better, but their reputation with online games (slowly killing planetside off, the star wars galaxies combat 'upgrade' etc...) isnt the best. Its a shame as well, since with more players, Vanguard could be a fantastic MMO.

I think i'll stick to Warcraft and Eve until either Conan or Warhammer come out. God i hope one of them is good enough to keep me interesed.

Kiith on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I dunno, there really hasn't been anymore news on what involvement soe will have in development, if any at all. And yes they did do some crap moves with swg, but they've also done some good ones with like eq2.

But so far all I've seen from week to week is an improving game, just needs a little more marketing to get some players into it. Maybe some sort of new trial so people can see that most of the stability bugs are gone, and classes are rebalanced and tweaked, and all are good now.

Anyway, I'll be sticking with the game for a longer while yet, so if anyone does join up just send Fooms a tell on flamehammer, and i'll do what I can to help you out :)

Foomy on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, I finally found out where to download the game, but I tried the trial key that was given to me and it told me it was already registered. :(

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Kemal86 wrote: »
    Just started playing recently with a couple friends on Flamehammer. I'm a bloodmage, they're a dread knight and a psionicist. We're all dark elves.

Pretty good so far, getting a few graphical glitches but it was expected. Only level 5 at the moment. Really dissapointed with animations so far though. I mean - they are just plain awful in most parts. Spell effects are pretty cool but not EQ 2 cool.

Definitely sticking with it though, its damn fun.

Also, just wondering if anyone has had fps problems? I mean not the usual "enter a populated area and it drops" problem, but mine will be steady for ages and then suddenly it will go down to 3/4 fps and stay there for around a minute, no matter what I do. Even changing my settings to max performance makes no difference. I'm running it at pretty much everything max, except HDR and the other light thing turned off cause it seemed to cause a lot of problems.

I had this issue happen while I played. Great FPS, then 1-2 minutes of a standstill, then it would pick back up.

Funnily enough I didnt stick with vanguard but at least I found the problem.

Graphics card was overheating, and it was happening in STALKER too.

So I changed the heatsink and hey, it runs fine now. Except now I don't play vanguard hah.

GhostManOnThird on
  • Options
    RendusRendus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    With SOE buying/whatever Vanguard, I'm actually /more/ likely to buy and play the game - I've played EQ from launch through to when my guild was breaching Anguish while POR was out, I played SWG at launch, and I've played EQ2. I've generally liked what I've seen other than maybe some sub-optimal business decisions.

Rendus on
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Here's my question: Can I solely craft? I don't want to have to adventure to craft.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    EleazarDMMEleazarDMM Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JNighthawk wrote: »
    Here's my question: Can I solely craft? I don't want to have to adventure to craft.
    You can, but not in the manner of UO. You'll have to pay someone for the materials once you move past noob crafting. It's not necessarily inefficient, it's because of the linear relationship between quality and the level of the surrounding mobs.

Edit: You can salvage the mats from items, (or you could when I played, at least), but you still will end up paying somebody for those items, too.

EleazarDMM on
    E N G I N E E R
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    You can grind crafting for free, even make some money just doing work orders. You only need materials when you want to make some item to sell.

Foomy on
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Sold. Now all I need is a free trial.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Copied right from the official vanguard site:

The Server Merge Plan for Vanguard.

Hey Everyone,

Here are the details on the server merge. We don't have a firm date as we are still getting all the back-end details worked out. The intent is to have them done within the next three weeks. We will announce a date as soon as we have it.

Please feel free to comment as I know you will. J I will try and clear up questions as they arise. I realize that not everyone will be happy with all of the decisions, but I'm open to suggestions if someone presents a better idea and it's something that is feasible for us to implement in time.

Servers
    There will be 2 US PVE, 1 EU PVE, and 1 US PVP server.
    o Thunderaxe, Woefeather, and Gulgrethor would merge into server A PVE
    o Targonor, Hilsbury, Flamehammer and Shidreth would merge into sever B PVE
    o Tharridon, Varking, and Frengrot would merge into sever C PVP FFA
    o Gelenia and Infineum would merge into server D EU PVE
    o For Florendyl we will be soliciting feedback via a poll and discussion as to whether or not the players think it should be merged.

1. We are open to considering the option of leaving it up with the understanding that the population is way under what it needs to be to be healthy but we wouldn't recommend it.

All existing servers will go away and everyone will be moved to new servers.
    * We will post a poll so you can vote on the new server names.
    * PVP players will be able to move to PVP OR PVE servers.
    * PVE players will only be able to move to PVE servers.
    * PVP rule set will be FFA.
    * Each character will get one free server move after the merge.

Character Naming
    * Characters name priority is based on
    o First created, if also played within the last 30 days
    o Last Played
    * Those characters that have name collisions will be marked, and upon next login will have to choose a new name before that character can log in.

Housing
    * The price for the player's plot is refunded to the player in coin.
    * The resources used to generate the house are refunded to the player via the housing resource escrow.
    * The current upkeep balance will be refunded to the character
    * Fixtures and items in the house will be placed in the escrow.

Boats
    * Boats will be marked as needing to be named.

VGPlayers issues
    * We are still working out the specifics on this.

Corpses left in the world
    * All corpses will go away.
    * Any items left on corpses will go to your escrow account.
    * Exp on the corpse will be returned to you.

Mail
    * Any pending mail will be returned to sender.

Friends list

Guild names

Market items

Items in the market will be returned via mail.

Foomy on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, don't feel like an edit, so anyone here really still play? I stoped for a bit, but am going to start playing a bunch again after this last patch that changed / added a ton of bard skills and songs.

so anyone but me still around? it's a might bit lonely in the guild lately.

if ya want to ask me any questions about changes since you guys left feel free, theres been a ton of changes to every class, and bug fixes, game tweaks, etc.

*edit* new thread maybe? this ones op is a little cluttered and out of date, but maybe mantis will feel like updating, or not, eh, just a thought

Foomy on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    lol they are already merging servers? this cant be good

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    They launched with too many servers at first, so there a little sparse atm, mostly because of the crappy launch.

I will admit, the launch of the game was really really buggy, but theres still a good number of people playing. And I don't think soe will give up on it any time soon, so merge is a good thing for the most part

Foomy on
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    lol they are already merging servers? this cant be good

A game does not have to have 100+ servers like Wow to make a profit/be successful.

I'll probably be playing again in a little while when I get some more cash.

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I canceled my account sometime last month. About halfway through the diplomatic title grind I realized I had ~5 hours of writs to run for each title (if I could stay focused) and decided that was a day of my life I'd later regret.

I think I'm officially done with MMOs. Oh well, good times were had while they were there.

Good luck guys.

Tal on