As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's no need to choose between GW2 and Tera since GW2 is free to play once you buy it. No monthly fees making it so you feel you need to prioritize time with it over another MMO 8->

If they both hold up over time I plan to play both Tera and GW2 since they seem to both be quality MMO's. I do think GW2 has a bigger chance of being the better game, the team behind it seems to be fantastic.

And then there's Diablo 3

oh god so many time consuming gaaaaaaames

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    am0n wrote: »
    Xagar wrote: »
    Yeah, level 1-15 is pretty fast.

In some previous betas, there was an NPC outside of the dungeon that would raise you to level 30 and give you a leveled set of gear. I think we might just have to wait and see whether that's in this beta or not.

In most videos I saw from the press beta, I saw most people reached level 23-27ish by the end of the beta. Also, you should buy xp boosts or whatever from the ingame store with your 2k free gems.

I also want to reach level 30 and see this. I think after seeing a bit of the norn starting zone and wuvwuv, I will focus on making sure I can run an explorable dungeon.

@Xagar I won't be on Saturday, but should be on when servers open tonight for a few hours. If you want to duo, to see if we can make progress towards level 30, I'd be up for it. I have no preference in race, so if you want to roll Norn I'll just make a Norn.

The beta locks you to level 25 if I read correctly.
    No dungeons for yooooooooooooooooou.
    Wait, where does it say that? I believe you but I want to read it for myself.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I read somewhere that max level for this beta is going to be 20, or thereabouts. I don't imagine we're going to see much dungeon play for the beta weekends.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I don't remember for sure, but I thought what I read was that your personal story caps at 20. I don't remember it saying anything about your actual level. Besides, isn't Lion's Arch (which is being unveiled during this beta event) a level 30 city or so?

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    am0n wrote: »
    Yeah, level 1-15 is pretty fast.

In some previous betas, there was an NPC outside of the dungeon that would raise you to level 30 and give you a leveled set of gear. I think we might just have to wait and see whether that's in this beta or not.

In most videos I saw from the press beta, I saw most people reached level 23-27ish by the end of the beta. Also, you should buy xp boosts or whatever from the ingame store with your 2k free gems.

I also want to reach level 30 and see this. I think after seeing a bit of the norn starting zone and wuvwuv, I will focus on making sure I can run an explorable dungeon.

@Xagar I won't be on Saturday, but should be on when servers open tonight for a few hours. If you want to duo, to see if we can make progress towards level 30, I'd be up for it. I have no preference in race, so if you want to roll Norn I'll just make a Norn.

The beta locks you to level 25 if I read correctly.
    No dungeons for yooooooooooooooooou.
    Wait, where does it say that? I believe you but I want to read it for myself.

Man, I can't find it anymore. I am sure I read it SOMEWHERE.
    Anyway, take it with a grain of salt, since I can't find my source again.

Edit: Ah there we go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37137673&postcount=1

it's in the OP post on NeoGaf!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote: »
    There's no need to choose between GW2 and Tera since GW2 is free to play once you buy it. No monthly fees making it so you feel you need to prioritize time with it over another MMO 8->

If they both hold up over time I plan to play both Tera and GW2 since they seem to both be quality MMO's. I do think GW2 has a bigger chance of being the better game, the team behind it seems to be fantastic.

And then there's Diablo 3

oh god so many time consuming gaaaaaaames

If you own a PS3 or 360, there's also Dragon's Dogma. Throw in the fact I want to FINALLY get my moneys worth out of WoW and STOR, I'm OVERWHELMED!

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Two hours forty nine minutes.

• Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Just started the client again to make sure it works. I am insane.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular

No, you are just passionate!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    I don't remember for sure, but I thought what I read was that your personal story caps at 20. I don't remember it saying anything about your actual level. Besides, isn't Lion's Arch (which is being unveiled during this beta event) a level 30 city or so?

I read level 20 is where your PERSONAL STORY ends. But that the level cap is level 30.

• Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    Guys, maybe they opened it 2 hours and 36 minutes early! someone....cheeeeeck

PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

they actually did do that during the closed beta

• Options
    NabobNabob Registered User regular
    I checked! The answer is nope :(

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

No, you are just passionate!

I did that this morning to make sure it was patched as much as possible and I probably won't even have the ability to play at all this weekend.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Basren DragonsnackBasren Dragonsnack Registered User regular
    Nabob wrote: »
    I checked! The answer is nope :(

This is all your fault!

PSN: Scotty85
  • Options
    I checked too.

The log-in screen is awesome.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    If I was home id be trying to log in every 15 mins.

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    Oh son of a...

My new computer just listed as Out For Delivery, three days early, which means I must decide between playing GW2 on this crappy computer or not playing GW2 and try to mad-rush through setting it up to play GW2 on the new super machine.

Oh god, the Fed Ex guy will get here right at 3pm, I just know it.

First-World-Problems.

Necro-quoting this because I just had the same thing happen - the final part of my new computer (beefy power supply) just showed up at work and I have the same choice in front of me.

Probably gonna play on the old lappie tonight (it's not that bad) and rebuild the new computer tomorrow morning.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Rednaz wrote: »
    You still choose how those stats are allocated through drops. You can take your level 1 gear with +1 to all stats, go to the level 30 dungeon, get the gear there that has +30 vitality, and then transfer the bonus to your level 1 gear (i'm not entirely sure how this process exactly works, but I believe you keep one bonus and one armor, we'll find out soon enough for ourselves). Other than that, the idea is the same as GW1. You put the stats you want on the gear you want.

Using a Transmutation Stone, transmutation allows you take the stats from one item (stronger item) and combine it with the physical appearance of another (better-looking item). The stats from the item which provides the appearance are lost entirely. So you end up with a piece of gear that has the look you want with the stats you need.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    I'm guessing it is going to be a bitch trying to log in at 3 let alone all the starting areas being super crowded but I don't care I am going to play this!

• Options
    Two hours!

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    charrbroiledcharrbroiled 'dis guy Registered User regular
    Doesn't really matter if there are crowds. There's no competing over mobs.

4d93c4f1d9d6247c.png
    Guild Wars 2: Tyreh, asura Warrior
  • Options

how's that

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Enig wrote: »
    Two hours plus waiting around for an indeterminate period of time whilst the login servers stop having a nervous breakdown!

FTFY

• Options

how's that

There's no tagging, everyone gets rewards (xp, loot) for killing shit.

• Options

how's that

There's no tagging, everyone gets rewards (xp, loot) for killing shit.

so people can just run around and get xp for everything that dies without contributing?

• Options

how's that

As long as you hit the damage "threshold" on mobs you get credit based on your participation for both XP and loot. If all you do is tag mobs you get minimum credit. Do more and you get more stuff.

so

you will be competing with people.

• Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular

how's that

As long as you hit the damage "threshold" on mobs you get credit based on your participation for both XP and loot. If all you do is tag mobs you get minimum credit. Do more and you get more stuff.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Unintentional, unintentionally reading the FUTURE.

Hopefully we can log into beta early. But not till i get home in 15 minutes.

oh

and

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• Options

how's that

so

Not really, just participating in a whole event and not dying all the time with get you max rewards really easily. If you show up late or if you suck you'll get less.

• Options

how's that

so

Not really, just participating in a whole event and not dying all the time with get you max rewards really easily. If you show up late or if you suck you'll get less.

but like, if you're doing single target damage, you will get xp for one enemy, while the nearby elementalist gets xp for twelve
    and if they hadn't been there you would have gotten xp for all twelve, it would've taken longer?

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    considering things dont die instantly and nearly everyone has some kind of aoe, even if you restricted yourself to single target abilities, just make sure you do some decent damage to all enemies you fight.

Shouldnt be too hard. Also your buddy elementalist is making things die faster for th esame reward. if you had to solo all 12 alone it would take much more time.

So even if you miss the damage threshold on 1 or 2 enemies out of 12, if it took you half the time to kill 10 as it would have to kill all 12 then you are more efficient with your time and leveling.

Draygo on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

how's that

so

but like, if you're doing single target damage, you will get xp for one enemy, while the nearby elementalist gets xp for twelve
    and if they hadn't been there you would have gotten xp for all twelve, it would've taken longer?

Not really. It isn't calculated like that. There are only three levels of participation, Gold, Silver, and Bronze. If you do stuff actively during the entire event you'll get a gold or at worst a silver reward. Latecomers who help out will get silver or bronze. You have to do like nothing to get no reward. This held up quite well during my experience with the game, but we'll see how well it works with big crowds. If not working as intended, I have every confidence that it'll be tweaked.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options

how's that

so

Not really. It isn't calculated like that. There are only three levels of participation, Gold, Silver, and Bronze. If you do stuff actively during the entire event you'll get a gold or at worst a silver reward. Latecomers who help out will get silver or bronze. You have to do like nothing to get no reward. This held up quite well during my experience with the game, but we'll see how well it works with big crowds. If not working as intended, I have every confidence that it'll be tweaked.

i meant like, finding a random group of monsters, not an event

• Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

how's that

so

But if they hadn't been there you wouldn't have gotten 12 mobs anyway, due to scaling.

Edit: I mean in the case of a dynamic event. Further, you're both going to get gold contribution in a DE anyway if you've both participating, so what does person B's extra AOE matter in the scheme of things? And you get most of your XP from DEs, so if you're talking about regular run of the mill grinding (which I think will be hard to find tons of mobs to grind on that aren't associated with heart or DE completion in some form), you get far far less xp per kill, so, again, whatever extra XP this hypthotetical AOEer is getting over you is vastly insignificant.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't think random mobs come in packs of 12 at all. It seems like more than 2-3 mobs solo would just kill you (starting area excluded, by all accounts it's keyboard faceroll territory).

Xagar on
  • Options
    i am unconvinced, but i'll find out in like ninety minutes hopefully :D

• Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    I don't think random mobs come in packs of 12 at all. It seems like more than 2-3 mobs solo would just kill you (starting area excluded, by all accounts it's keyboard faceroll territory).

I think the first April Fools they need to add an *actual* 'Faceroll' ability where you attack everything with your face while doing somersaults.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    RednazRednaz Registered User regular

how's that

so

Well, since every class but Elementalists can equip two weapons and single target isn't necessarily limited to one weapon set (ie, melee attacks can cleave naturally) that shouldn't be an issue. And it isn't necesarrily to the extent that if you do 50% of the damage you get all the rewards its more like if you aren't actively participating you won't get much benefit. For smaller mobs it won't make too much of a difference as long as you aren't just tagging one mob then moving on to the next. For dungeons most of the good loot is from bosses anyways.

I should add that I forgot to mention that for dynamic events you get credit for doing stuff other than damage. Like if instead of attacking the dynamic boss you were building supplies for the NPCs, keeping said NPCs alive, killing adds, etc. You don't get credit for just coming in at the last minute to try and reap the rewards, nor if you keep afking while trying to look like you are participating.

Steam: The_Zeta
    LOL NA: Rednaz
    Currently Playing: Dark Forces
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    XP/loot from mobs is given to everyone who did a significant amount of damage to that mob. Either you get something, or nothing. I'm sure ANet is aiming to tune it so that if you contribute to the death of a mob in a meaningful way, you're going to get the XP/loot from that kill.

The good thing is, you can help other people kill things faster and more efficiently, and the both of you still get the full reward. The important things are you can't steal mobs and helping others doesn't lower the XP they earn.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
This discussion has been closed.