As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]New thread is up. Hope everyone enjoyed the April BWE! It was awesome!

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    The best possible place for you to voice these opinions and suggestions is the official forums, btw. We read through them after each beta.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I have to admit - I was hoping the combat would be a bit deeper than what I've seen. So far, it feels like my best way to avoid attacks in PvE is to constantly circle-strafe. Even then, I only avoid about half of them because latency is so high right now (hoping that gets better out of the beta).

I really like the art direction in this game though.

i read something like this a while ago, in a blog post someone made back when the closed betas first started, and i kinda agree with it :(

i'm not sure what they could do to fix it, i don't know enough about game design. it just seems like i don't really have any motivation to dodge or use defensive movement-based abilities when holding down my strafe key and mashing out my skills works just as well

you're right though, game IS gorgeous

interrobang on
  • Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have to admit - I was hoping the combat would be a bit deeper than what I've seen. So far, it feels like my best way to avoid attacks in PvE is to constantly circle-strafe. Even then, I only avoid about half of them because latency is so high right now (hoping that gets better out of the beta).

Agreed, this was one aspect after watching numerous videos on I was genuinely worried about getting overhyped. I mean, it's no Dark Souls, but at least the combat is a step above the generic mmo combat formula.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    If video games like Skyrim and Fallout have taught me anything, it's that dodging and crap is only until you min-max your character into a walking tank with cannons for arms.

Then you just headbutt everything to death while laughing.

I realize it doesn't translate EXACTLY into MMO gameplay, but I've found in many instances (in several mmos I've played) that unless the thing you are dodging is a one-shot kill, it's often better to just stand there soaking it up with pride and a good healer, because "dodging" screws up the party strategy more often than not. Somebody runs off a rock and gets LOS'd at the wrong time, or lags a bit and gets hit without the healer ready, ect ect. Having the entire party facetank crap is usally the easiest way to go if it's allowed whatsoever, and I say that as the healer in most of those instances.

Really there is nothing more /facepalm worthy than have a party leader yell because doing it the "right" way has failed a dozen times in a row, only to beat the fight when the dps just decide to "stand in the fire" and heal through it to win (because the dps do twice as much when they aren't running around like loons trying to dodge the fire).

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    So can you queue for structured pvp as a group? My friends and I have been rampaging around in PvE and in WvW so far, but we'd like to try out the structured too. Just not sure how to go about it.

• Options
    AcidCatAcidCat Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I really want to like this game, but there's a really disconnected feel to the combat that I can't pin down.

I agree, and the performance issues are certainly making it worse. I also think I have been spoiled by TERA's combat, which is, at least at the low levels I've played of both games, considerably better IMO. So far this game has been a disappointment, but I see that most people are enjoying it, so something is just not clicking with my personal taste I guess.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It felt like it got a bit better once I got into the mid to high teens. There seems to be a bit of a lull around 10 or so where it felt like the enemies and the combat had plateaued. And then it started changing again a few levels later.

The enemies start hitting harder and have nastier abilities and you end up needing to interupt and doge ALOT to survive. I found after a bit of boredom and a bit of frustration, I became REALLY good at kiting on my mesmer with the Greatsword.

Now I get why A.net likes the clone thing. Those Phantasmal Berserkers are incredible at kitting huge packs once you get the hang of it.

But yeah, lots of circle strafing in the end. But more then that too. I think as I get more traits, the combat will get even more involved.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shurakai wrote: »
    I really want to like this game, but there's a really disconnected feel to the combat that I can't pin down. I'm not sure if it's just the classes I'm playing, but it seems like the best strategy so far is to just wildly mash all the buttons while running around like a crazy person and then good things happen? I'll probably take another shot at it tomorrow and see if the area I'm in has somewhat less than a trillion people in it.

Its when you go toe to toe with one enemy that things tend to get more interesting, I find. When zerg rushes occur, enemies are overwhelmed and if you get hit, it might be once the entire fight, so you arent as concerned with advanced tactics (though honestly its still fun, at least for me, to simply participate in such large crazy battles). When you are by yourself in a room full of danger... well, then things get a little more complicated.

The game really does work best in small groups or solo. The PvE especially is very much at it's best in a small group. Solo some of the events are too hard or impossible and in a group it's just a mindless zergfest. In a group of like 2-5 though, it's amazing.

One thing to note about button-mashing, it's what I was talking about in the above post. At lower levels it feels very dull because you don't have teh tools and the enemies aren't hard enough that you need to do anything crazy. Once you get to fighting harder shit, you will be agonizing over some of those cooldowns. (you can simulate this a bit fighting things a couple of levels higher then you. In this game, 1 or 2 levels makes a HUGE difference in my experience)

Although, again, lolBeta so not all classes and weapons may be equally well done.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Wuvwuv is a lot of fun. And not just because we were completely stomping the other two servers. It was best when Blue gave a strong fight on this field between our two camps and we kept going back and forth while stupid moas ran rampant through the lines.

That said, being on the other side of a stomping would give me another opinion probably. I look forward to the realm matching on live.

My favorite thing right now is using the ranger war horn ability (5) to speed/might/fury large groups of people then run riot.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    AcidCat wrote: »
    I really want to like this game, but there's a really disconnected feel to the combat that I can't pin down.

I agree, and the performance issues are certainly making it worse. I also think I have been spoiled by TERA's combat, which is, at least at the low levels I've played of both games, considerably better IMO. So far this game has been a disappointment, but I see that most people are enjoying it, so something is just not clicking with my personal taste I guess.

Now go play TOR and get spoiled on writing as well.

If, after that, we can find a way to spoil you on mindnumbing grinds, you'll never feel the urge to play an MMO again!

Well, that, or we combine them all into some form of digital super-crack and everyone dies from starvation sitting in their computer chair.

Either way it's a win-win.

• Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's the lag or what, by trying to circle strafe as melee results in constant out of range messages. Pretty irritating,

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Is there a way to get the last point of interest in Divinity's Reach (I'm presuming it's the queen)? It's driving me a little nuts, haha.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    Can't log in :(

Keep getting "Unable to complete operation. Please try again in a few minutes."

Then when I try again I get "Unable to connect to a login server. This could be caused by an Internet routing issue."

My net is fine as I am using the forums, have tried TS, Steam, and GW1 with no problem.

I was still having this issue this morning but managed to fix it. So if others are suffering the same make sure your GW2 folder and it's contents are NOT read only.

I noticed that they were marked as "read only" so I unchecked it then ran GW2.exe again and HAPPY FUN TIMES I can log in :D

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

I can pin it down. Combat doesn't feel "heavy". Mobs just run into the middle of battle, and everyone else just run around, and since mobs and players all run at the same speed, regardless of size, it feels comical almost. This is emphasized by the fact that everyone can run through everyone else, making it feel very flimsy. Then throw all spell effects on top of that and you just have a chaotic mess.

The only battles I've found interesting so far were a 2 on 1 with ents. They move slow and do feel heavy.

Centaurs, by contrast, feel and behave like they were made out of paper.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    On a side note, thief is pretty much exactly as fun as I was hoping. In a shocking turn of events, I find that I'm sticking with the shortbow rather than dual pistols (I actually have one of everything, but it's a bit of a hassle skilling it all up). The 3 skill is pretty much disengage from WoW but with 0 cooldown, so I'm having a lot of fun stealthing in for the bonus hit then kiting things around. Underwater seems pretty good too, if only because I don't need to worry about drowning at all.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    @Echo & other EU people, are you still on Aspenwood? Or have you moved to an EU server?

I seemed to be lagging a bit yesterday and was thinking on moving to an EU one to see if it's better.

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    So far I feel pretty lukewarm about the game. Though I have done no PvP which is what I am interested in

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    Got a little more time in getting 3 characters to level 5. Engineer is easily my favorite so far and humans aren't as boring as I thought they might be. I liked the Char story and starting area a lot and Elementist is fun if you have someone else taking the blows. Super squishy at low levels. The Norn story I thought was kinda weak at first, but got better with the different animal shaman, but I don't like Ranger so far. As others have said, the pets are lame sauce early on.

I was planning on Mesmer and Thief for my two mains, but will now have to add Engineer into the mix somehow!

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    @Echo & other EU people, are you still on Aspenwood? Or have you moved to an EU server?

I seemed to be lagging a bit yesterday and was thinking on moving to an EU one to see if it's better.

Yeah, still on Aspenwood. But I was just thinking about moving to an EU server.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Isn't the commerce working? I clicked "buy" on several crafting materials and money was deducted, but the items never appeared. Neither in my inventory nor in the bank.

(Also, I always get an error when I try to sell anything using that tab...)

And as a side note to that, where the heck do you find crafting materials? I've seen ore, but I need logs and weirdly enough, I've seen nothing in the forests I've been in.

EDIT: Ok, found a really thing young tree now which I apparently can log from... (how? it's so thin!) but I need tools... which I don't know where to buy.

EDIT 2: Nevermind, found a merchant which sold the tools. (I'm so used to everything being clearly marked, that when something isn't, I'm sort of thrown off.)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    eobet wrote: »
    And as a side note to that, where the heck do you find crafting materials? I've seen ore, but I need logs and weirdly enough, I've seen nothing in the forests I've been in.

Plenty of trees in the norn area, at least. They're skinnier than the usual forest tree in the area, generally called saplings of some sort. They show up as logs on your compass.

Edit: I've been pleasantly surprised by my pets as a ranger. I have three now, and am having a blast swapping them out when they're dead or near death and my Heal as One is on cooldown. They're pretty good at staying alive so far, though (level 11 at the moment). I've also not had the problems others have reported of their not being responsive, as they are generally on-point and even disengage when I command them to. I haven't lost one yet to wandering off picking daisies. I wonder what I'm doing wrong/right, but I could *almost* see myself rolling a ranger at launch.... if necromancers weren't in the game.

sidhaethe on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Isn't the commerce working? I clicked "buy" on several crafting materials and money was deducted, but the items never appeared. Neither in my inventory nor in the bank.

Of you are buying things through commerce, they get mailed to you via the in-game mail system.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Of you are buying things through commerce, they get mailed to you via the in-game mail system.

I have nothing in the mail either.

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Holy shit, is playing a mesmer hard in PVP. Which is exactly as it should be, but... still. Some day I will be there.

Meanwhile, my theorycrafted attunement swap-spamming elementalist is exactly as hilarious and is even more awesome than I'd hoped it would be. I'm swapping attunements roughly every couple of seconds, and spamming hard-hitting dual daggers attacks, along with healthy doses of Arcane shit. I can burn enemies down so fast that it's ridiculous, but I go down like paper if I'm not careful.

"Why, yes, I WOULD like to get every boon AND give you every condition in the game! 8D Have fun!" It's like there was a threeway between an ele, a necro, and a mesmer, and this character was birthed as a result.

EDIT: The best part about my ele is that people will see me casting spells and they'll run up into melee expecting an easy kill... melee is exactly where I want them.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    derangedhermitderangedhermit Madstrike PortugalRegistered User regular
    I saw on twitter that there's a bug with Kessex Hills, it's bugged like that. They're trying to fix it.

Battle.net: Madstrike#2175 , GuildWars2: Madstrike.1436
  • Options
    Trying to enter Kessex Hills and getting stuck at 95%. :(

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well, time to get some sleep at last.

The game is awesome. Love it. Putting aside beta/polish/lag issues, it has definitely met my hype expectations. 8-)

Spent several hours with a friend as a duo doing hearts and events. Very, very fun.

As expected, Thief is my favorite class, although my weapon choice is different than my theorycrafting thought.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Amusingly, I got into Kessex Hills earlier tonight... saw the guards were 23 and got the hell out of there.

Game is pretty neat, got my elementalist human to 11 and have trained every weapon type/element combination of spells except the underwater ones so far.

The more I've seen though, the more I really need to try out a mesmer... especially with a greatsword.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Which server are you EU guys on?

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Thief was kind of a surprise for me. I picked it because I wanted to play a class I was almost certainly not going to play on release but I don't know anymore.

I've also not had any of the problems discussed here with the combat. I find that I have to use all of my skills effectively to not die

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Echo wrote: »
    Which server are you EU guys on?

We're on Desolation. Seemed good last night. Will be logging back on shortly when I grind out this last 200 words.

What's wrong with the US server? Latency gone to shit?

Kafka87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i fixed my problems with the combat by switching my thief to dual pistols

everything is better now

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Watching some streams and I just want to clarify for myself, the current WvWvW maps are placeholders correct? they will all be different by launch?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    In lower levels, when the whole thing is a single-digit FPS zerg rush, it's that button-mashing that people are talking about, mainly because everyone's also trying to unlock skills so they don't really stop to think about how they're USING those skills.

But as you level up and go to areas and zones that are slightly less populated, skill begins to matter. You become more aware of your weapon-sets and what you can and can't outfight, and in smaller groups of 2-5 as previously mentioned, it can actually become challenging, too, in thanks mainly to the sidekicking system.

I actually look forward to NOT joining in on the big lagfest fights because it's just too hard to see what you're doing and skill matters less because you get hit less with fewer enemies around. Sure the boss takes more hits, but you also take fewer ones, so you don't always think of survivability. And with so many other people around you killing things, when you are downed you usually pop right back up anyway!

But if it's just a few people running through an event, it becomes fun, challenging, and interesting.

The side-strafing thing I totally agree with; I can dodge shit like a boss but why bother when all I have to do is circle-strafe, particularly when wielding magic?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I saw on twitter that there's a bug with Kessex Hills, it's bugged like that. They're trying to fix it.

Thank you, time traveling forum shaman. :)

EDIT: Looked it up as well now, and seems I need to create a new character. Poo. I should get back to work anyway (real work, that is... not the grind.) :)

EDIT 2: Looked some more, and if you transfer to US servers the problem will go away. Damn... where did my work go?

EDIT 3: Also, I forgot a question from earlier... I finally managed to gather wood... but where the heck do they go? Is there a special crafting inventory I don't know about? How can I find it? I really haven't seen such a poor UI in a long, long time. I mean, this is way behind even World of Warcraft when it was just released. Even they had the items zooming/fading into the box where you can find them, so you understand where everything goes.

If I were a Guild Wars producer, I'd have the entire UI team start from scratch, because this is piss poor work.

EDIT: *WARNING* *WARNING* When transfering back to EU servers, I chose Istan and now I can't log in OR transfer away! A friend of mine tried to start a character on that same server yesterday and he wasn't able to log in either, so I think that entire servers is borked. Stay away from it!

The upside is that now I really can get back to work. :)

eobet on
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Who do i ask for eu guild invites again?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Louie wrote: »

EU or NA?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kafka87 wrote: »
    Louie wrote: »

EU or NA?

Oh you said it. Add Dedryk, and I will add you when I log shortly.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    what stands out to me the most is how good the music is in this game

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Woots! Killed that fucking portal summoning shaman asshole near Fusenfall Creek or whatever. That asshole hits way too hard, couldn't melee him at all without going down in one hit. But we got him, half of us in our underpants, but we got him.

This discussion has been closed.