As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xenoblade Chronicles X] looks to be a pretty good game.

• Mr Slippy FistMr Slippy Fist Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    On a non-ridiculous topic, Alcamoth question:
    Is it safe to do plot until I get Melia back or will these timed quests be gone by then?
    You have a significant amount of time between getting to Alcamoth and the quests expiring, so feel free to plug along until you get her back.

Yes, I hate my username and wish I could sign up with a new one. Registration sucks.
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    On a non-ridiculous topic, Alcamoth question:
    Is it safe to do plot until I get Melia back or will these timed quests be gone by then?

Yeah, you're safe. You won't actually lose those timed quests until near the endgame.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Rubycat wrote: »
    My Colony 6 is stuck at 2 stars and its starting to annoy me. Ive got housing and commerce at 4 and the others at 3 (yeah cant kill the lv 75 mobs for those nature 4 items.)

I guess I need to find more migrants for colony 6 cause I run around at all different times and cant find another quest yet.

Colony 6 just takes forever. I have everything else at 5 stars and I think Colony 6 is only 3. And I have level 4 of everything. So yeah.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    There are a couple of C6 quests that you only get after 4 stars or so that have massive affinity gains. I think I did three quests at level 4 in total.

Getting past 2 stars takes forever though. Bunch of ticky tacky quests and getting people connected to each other is a pain if someone hasn't moved there yet.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Here, just to hopefully get the idea across that I don't hate everything about this game, let me mention something I absolutely, unequivocally love. :P

The battle quotes.

It's a small bummer that they tend to overlap in the heat of things, and that after a while you can pick out the obviously generic ones. But I love the specific quotes between party members. Especially the after combat ones. I wish there were more than one for each party combo, but every one I've heard so far has been an absolute joy to hear.

Some personal fav's:

Shulk/Reyn/Dunban:
    Reyn: With you here Dunban, we're unstoppable!
    Shulk: Totally!
    Dunban: Don't get cocky. Stay focused, stay alert.
    Shulk/Reyn: Yes Sir!

Reyn/Dunban/Riki:
    Reyn: When the going get going, the tough get tough!
    Riki: Haha, even Riki know that not right.
    Dunban: Reyn! What the hell are you babbling about?

Sharla/Melia/Riki:
    Riki: Riki wish Melia was real big sister.
    Sharla: What about me?
    Riki: Sharla more like momma. Only need one momma.
    Sharla: Now wait just a minute...!

There is a touching one involving CHARACTER REDACTED.

Another personal favorite is Melia/Sharla/Dunban about how quiet the party is without Riki or Reyn.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Colony 6 is the most late game of all the areas since you need to have recruited everyone and built everything to finish it.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Here, just to hopefully get the idea across that I don't hate everything about this game, let me mention something I absolutely, unequivocally love. :P

The battle quotes.

It's a small bummer that they tend to overlap in the heat of things, and that after a while you can pick out the obviously generic ones. But I love the specific quotes between party members. Especially the after combat ones. I wish there were more than one for each party combo, but every one I've heard so far has been an absolute joy to hear.

Some personal fav's:

Shulk/Reyn/Dunban:
    Reyn: With you here Dunban, we're unstoppable!
    Shulk: Totally!
    Dunban: Don't get cocky. Stay focused, stay alert.
    Shulk/Reyn: Yes Sir!

Reyn/Dunban/Riki:
    Reyn: When the going get going, the tough get tough!
    Riki: Haha, even Riki know that not right.
    Dunban: Reyn! What the hell are you babbling about?

Sharla/Melia/Riki:
    Riki: Riki wish Melia was real big sister.
    Sharla: What about me?
    Riki: Sharla more like momma. Only need one momma.
    Sharla: Now wait just a minute...!

There is a touching one involving CHARACTER REDACTED.

Another personal favorite is Melia/Sharla/Dunban about how quiet the party is without Riki or Reyn.

There's a great heart-to-heart with 7th character where they make fun of some battle phrase that Shulk and Dunban say all the time (forget which one)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    If I had to guess probably making fun of Dunban's Blossom Dance line.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Ugh.

Ok, Sword Valley UM help:
    This asshole called Mischievious Naberius. I'm about 2 levels higher than him, the game's system ranks him as "Weak"... but I can't win. Mainly because he basically goes loludie and everybody goes from full health to dead. So does anybody have any advice against this piece of shit.

At the very least, I'm kinda happy that after so many hours of the game being an utter cakewalk, there's finally a challenge. But on the flip side, I consider loludie to be a pretty poor form of challenge.

It's also at this point that having the party revive system tied to the party meter isn't the best of mechanics. Can't use a chain attack, because then I can't revive anybody. Can't use the warn system either. I need all 3 bars in order to not die and be sent back to the nearest landmark.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    If it's a Red talent move, use Speed, Regular talent move, put up Shield, Purple talent move, use Ice summon, or try some ether def gems.

Can use sharla's shield to reduce the damage a bit.

Also can check out Reyn's Block ability, or his aura buster.

finally, can also try to seal his art with melia.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    I've had massive trouble with it too at about the same level, so you're not alone. The problem is it can deal physical and ether damage, and if you're unlucky, in rapid succession. You can't avoid the ground pound art to my knowledge, so the only way to mitigate it is to stock up on HP Up and defense gems and skills, and spike and blow down resistance if you have it. Use the warn system when you get a vision of it to recover to full HP. Then heal with Shulk/Riki immediately afterwards. Its ether bubble attack is less destructive, but can still wreck its target. Not sure if you have Reticence, one of Melia's 4th tree skills, but it does wonders for Sharla. Chain attacks aren't really useful, since it's topple immune. It's a good time to craft more gems and explore different skill setups.

V0Gug2h.png
    I've tried a few times with Shulk/Sharla/Dunban, with Dunban both in regular armor and "Super naked" mode that people mentioned earlier. Didn't seem to make much of a difference. Sharla seems like a lock, because I don't see anybody else putting out nearly enough healing otherwise. Shulk too I guess just for the Monado abilities. Which means unless he's capable of tanking, it's eithe Reyn or Dunban. Although tanking doesn't seem to be the problem. It's usually Shulk and Sharla just dying at the same time, usually near the start of the fight.

About the warning system, remind me again, what's the SOP on red and blue attacks? Just warn somebody and pick the best ability to weather the attack, like a heal or shield? White's easy, just use shield. But I'm always blanking out on the other 2.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    With single red attacks, you can use Sharla's Shield or Shulk's Speed, but since his red attack hits everyone, it's not optimal. Blue is basically heal, or Reflection, but Melia is pretty much dead weight in that fight. Later on, you get the most broken art in the game, which will help a ton. It's optional though, so quest, quest, quest!

V0Gug2h.png
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I'm at just before going to Colony Six, and have a bunch of timed Bionis Leg quests... just wondering when I should worry about losing them exactly, and what I might be missing. There are some things like a monster I'm supposed to kill on the Sky Stage that doesn't seem to appear (doesn't matter the time of day). Also a few paths seem to be blocked by extremely high level monsters (as in 70's/80's).

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    So I'm at just before going to Colony Six, and have a bunch of timed Bionis Leg quests... just wondering when I should worry about losing them exactly, and what I might be missing. There are some things like a monster I'm supposed to kill on the Sky Stage that doesn't seem to appear (doesn't matter the time of day). Also a few paths seem to be blocked by extremely high level monsters (as in 70's/80's).

The monster for the sky stage isn't at the sky stage at all; the quest text is a lie. It's south of the sky stage, it runs back and forth at the foot of those ramps that go over the valley with the turtle; can't remember the name of that area.

But you want to finish all of the Refuge camp quests before going to Colony 6. There's a decent amount, actually, but it requires a bit of talky-talk between various people at different times of the day to unlock many of them.

EDIT: And there's only one quest, really, that requires going into any of the areas with the high level enemies on the Leg; and that one is more or less there to teach you how to avoid enemies aggroing to sound. You never need to actually go by any of the other high level stuff for any of the refuge camp stuff, if I remember correctly.

EDIT2: as far as what you'd be missing; the refuge camp is a hefty portion of Colony 6's reputation; losing those quests could mean a lot of trouble getting later quests in Colony 6 and possibly not being able to get high stars there at all. There's about 40 quests there total. Colony 6 has about 60 total; throughout the game (as you rebuild).

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

The secret to big unstoppable mech of much fuck around its level or a bit lower.

Main Sharla and have Shulk in the party. Dunban or Reyn needs to also be in the party. Ideally you'll have Shulk's ability to extend the length of visions. Prioritize defense and ether defense using any trick you can in the skill links on all three characters.

Throw any ether protect, phys protect, and hp up gems you can on them.

Take off all of Sharla's attack bullets besides her break bullet, put on any heat sink gems you might have at that point.

Speaking of artes you want all her healing spells including heal counter on your bar, shield, and the aura that reduces cooldown. None of these more unusual spells needs to be particularly high level, but you'll want them. Cure round is the most important spell for getting rid of blaze ticks and defense down debuffs on your tank. Covert stance might also be necessary.

Despite it being a Mechon, Sharla doesn't need an anti mechon rifle here. In fact its lack of slots will kill do more harm than good.

Save near the beastie, but not near his aggro range.

Start off the battle at max chain, easily doable because of the gigantic army of mechs around there.

Run up to him and cast shield on yourself, and then immediately cast cure round. Cure round not only removes debuffs but gives you a few seconds of immunization.

Now the general rule of the battle is this. Sharla without a ton of leveling or a ton of skill linked hp will probably die from an unshielded titan stamp, so you need to prepare for those deaths. Despite it being red you can't stop it by asking the tank to pull aggro on it because it is an aoe hit. Monado speed seems to work most of the time, but shield will usually be enough.

Megaflamethrower only hits in the arc that is facing the person it is fighting. This will hopefully be Reyn. Shulk's AI is smart enough to try and backstab/sidestab most of the time and you can move out of the way.

Shield will work on his other ether attack but if you keep hp up on the tank you can usually heal through it.

If you've been leveling Shulk's Monado Shield at all then his half hp and lower mega attack will be a life saver. 12 seconds on a fairly low powered attack you could heal through anyways, and if you can you just warn shulk and have it go away.

I consider this fight to be one of the hardest in the game if done at level. You end up meeting a bigger version of this 15 levels later that shouldn't be nearly as painful because of your improved skills and artes but this guy hits you at a period where you should be feeling pretty cocky and you probably do not have exactly the right tools to make it a good fight.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Dammit Dunban why are you so awesome? I want Reyn time back...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    The fact that I am several dozen hours in and haven't wanted to punch a protagonist for being an unlikeable obnoxious prick makes this the best JRPG I have ever played.

The only problem with Dunban is that he is too perfect.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't find the characters to be that good, to be honest. But I don't find them bad, either. They're likable enough, with understandable motivations.

The game failed to make me truly attached to any of them. It's hard to explain why. I just...don't really feel much of anything for any of them.

Actually, thinking about it, the most interesting character for me was probably Metal Face.

I find the plot to be much better than the characters.

LockedOnTarget on
    Ha, so I just got Colony 6 Housing lvl. 5 by pushing Gogols off a cliff. That's clearly the best way to kill anything :D

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Compared to the average cadre of angsty teenagers, or the insufferable cast of FFXIII, the characters in Xenoblade fare pretty well as far as JRPGs go.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Haha, I guess everyone being level 90-93 makes the last boss too easy.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    @Rent: I love this game, I think it's the best jrpg I've played in what...5 years? 6 years? but that doesn't mean that I don't acknowledge/agree with some of the complaints regarding the game's flaws. If you want rampant irrational fanboyism I'd suggest you go try out the Diablo 3 thread. Whoa boy.

But speak ill of Riki and I will cut you.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    Haha, I guess everyone being level 90-93 makes the last boss too easy.

It's already too easy at lvl. 82. :p

V0Gug2h.png
  • shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

The monster for the sky stage isn't at the sky stage at all; the quest text is a lie. It's south of the sky stage, it runs back and forth at the foot of those ramps that go over the valley with the turtle; can't remember the name of that area.

But you want to finish all of the Refuge camp quests before going to Colony 6. There's a decent amount, actually, but it requires a bit of talky-talk between various people at different times of the day to unlock many of them.

EDIT: And there's only one quest, really, that requires going into any of the areas with the high level enemies on the Leg; and that one is more or less there to teach you how to avoid enemies aggroing to sound. You never need to actually go by any of the other high level stuff for any of the refuge camp stuff, if I remember correctly.

EDIT2: as far as what you'd be missing; the refuge camp is a hefty portion of Colony 6's reputation; losing those quests could mean a lot of trouble getting later quests in Colony 6 and possibly not being able to get high stars there at all. There's about 40 quests there total. Colony 6 has about 60 total; throughout the game (as you rebuild).

Do they warn you when some of this is supposed to happen? Meaning, losing the refuge camp quests? I just:
    Killed Xord or knocked him in the ether or something. He's gone regardless. I did a lot of the quests in the refugee camp already and didn't see anymore though.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

My main problem with Dunban happens whenever I watch him climb along walls with only one arm. I can only suspend disbelief so far.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

My main problem with Dunban happens whenever I watch him climb along walls with only one arm. I can only suspend disbelief so far.

But that's part of why he's so bad-ass!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    shadowane wrote: »

Do they warn you when some of this is supposed to happen? Meaning, losing the refuge camp quests? I just:
    Killed Xord or knocked him in the ether or something. He's gone regardless. I did a lot of the quests in the refugee camp already and didn't see anymore though.

Regarding the refugee camp:
    There'll eventually be a "Move back into Colony 6" quest line. You're actually right about there now. Either way, they tell you straight out if you really want to move everybody, and you can put it off for a ridiculously long time.

So don't worry about it. They'll warn ya, and even then it won't trigger until you make it happen.

• shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

Regarding the refugee camp:
    There'll eventually be a "Move back into Colony 6" quest line. You're actually right about there now. Either way, they tell you straight out if you really want to move everybody, and you can put it off for a ridiculously long time.

So don't worry about it. They'll warn ya, and even then it won't trigger until you make it happen.
    Fantastic. I kind of thought so since people have been saying here that it's fairly obvious when points of no return occur, but I thought I'd be sure. I'm like level 27 or 28 and like 18 hours in too. I think I'm slow but I'm cool with that.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Chen wrote: »
    I've had massive trouble with it too at about the same level, so you're not alone. The problem is it can deal physical and ether damage, and if you're unlucky, in rapid succession. You can't avoid the ground pound art to my knowledge, so the only way to mitigate it is to stock up on HP Up and defense gems and skills, and spike and blow down resistance if you have it. Use the warn system when you get a vision of it to recover to full HP. Then heal with Shulk/Riki immediately afterwards. Its ether bubble attack is less destructive, but can still wreck its target. Not sure if you have Reticence, one of Melia's 4th tree skills, but it does wonders for Sharla. Chain attacks aren't really useful, since it's topple immune. It's a good time to craft more gems and explore different skill setups.
    Hmm, based on all the strategy suggestions I apparantly cheesed that guy out.
    I could hold my own against it for the most part just fine with Reyn/Shulk/Sharla, but every once on a while the Titan Stomp would hit which would just crew the whole team over. This is with me controlling Sharla. I tried staying further out of range and popping in as heals were needed, but no matter what the stomp's would still get her. BUT if you go up on one of the catwalks and fight the thing from there the stomps dont hit.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So my current biggest gripe with this game, currently, is that going back to the SNES style B > A controller scheme is totally fucking me over when I want to play something on the 360 and it uses A > B controls.

So much accidental cancelling out.

For the first few hours of Xenoblade I was constantly cancelling when I was trying to open a menu; so many bursts wasted because A is not B.

Now that I'm used to it, if I want to play something on the 360 I have to spend most of my time reminding myself that it's "reversed" or "normal" or whatever the fuck I don't know.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    This. I still haven't got used to it.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    i need wet rat

i do not want to wander around valak mountain looking for blue orbs

who to trade

please help XoB

currently in hour 9 of attempting to get sharla's skill tree

No one trades that. I can tell you where they are though.

Near water. Same place as the paguls. I found quite a few of them there. Also in the pond from a failed ice slide jump and on the ice slide itself.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Guys.

Guise.

Go into the Wii System menu and check up on your savefiles, then locate the Xenoblade one.

My mind was blown.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Guys.

Guise.

Go into the Wii System menu and check up on your savefiles, then locate the Xenoblade one.

My mind was blown.

haha, excellent find :^:

and that, my friends, is why Riki is the best.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Has no one told Rent about the super spreadsheet? I keep that shit up on my iPad pretty much at all times when playing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Has no one told Rent about the super spreadsheet? I keep that shit up on my iPad pretty much at all times when playing.

I kind of wish I had an iPad for stuff like that :P But then I tell myself that $500 is too much to pay for something "because I am lazy" :)