As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX PRIME 2012 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is there a big culture shock from East to Prime?

Prime is more laid back, in general, since it's on the west coast. It also feels /way/ more crowded since the convention center is far smaller than the BCEC.

• TangoTango Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Re: culture shock - Not really. I sometimes think of it in terms of when I moved from England to the US. The two shows are generally very similar, but there are many subtle cultural differences; some due to location, some due to Prime being more established, some due to layout, and some due to demographic. It's very interesting to me to compare the two shows.

Tango on
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I did the reverse in the past 8 months, going from Prime to East (toss in being from the Midwest too), and I don't think there's that much of a culture shock. The good people of Boston aren't close to the dicks all the comedy shows make them out to be (except the cabbies) :lol: Joking aside, I think that since you'll be spending most of your time around people there for PAX; that will lessen any significant amount of culture shock you could experience.

• MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    Ironhanded wrote: »
    Hi,

Sean Patten of Ironhands.com here.

I'm not a game company- I make free, non-profit, give-to-the-community-because-I-like-its-face games.
    I want to demo some games and show off models at PAX this year, hooray!

QUESTIONS:

1. Should I make like a game company would? Or is that gonna cost me?

2. Is there any way to "reserve" a table or two? I had a hard time squeezing into open TT area last year...

3. How can I encourage or invite drop-in players? How can folks best find me, if I'm not even sure where I'll be?

Thanks for any info you can provide, and I look forward to sharing some wacky tabletop fun with everyone!

Hi Sean,

You can get in touch with @FatherFletch re: tabletop. He may be able to point you in the right direction.

• AmberStarAmberStar SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »
    There isn't any official way to do that as far as I know (if there is, it isn't public facing). You could try emailing pax_questions@paxsite.com and see if they have a solution for you. Usually the main bands are just acts that the people who run pax like, and acts that will have a good following by pax attendees. Now, for the Jamspace, I'm not sure how you get a scheduled time for that. You could try PMing @NickTheNewbie since he runs the Jamspace.

Thanks, Zerzhul. Given we're probably not a great fit for Jamspace, I'll politely poke at the other email and see if I can't find a way to (non-obnoxiously) get the attention of those in power :-D

AmberStar on
  • CtrlAltDftCtrlAltDft Luis Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    How does the Washington State Convention Centre compare to the BCEC? The map of WSCC makes it look a lot more confusing than the BCEC.

Also, anyone from the East coast have an idea how much I should budget for hotel and flight?

CtrlAltDft on
  • TangoTango Registered User regular
    The WSCC is smaller than the BCEC, and is a lot more "vertical," if you like; the BCEC is more 'horizontal' with only three main floors, and has a generally easier-to-navigate design as a result. The WSCC has six floors, five of which are usable for shows, and the design of the building is rather less coherent due to it being continually expanded and added to.

• VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Is there a big culture shock from East to Prime?

If by culture shock, is Seattle different from Boston... I think Seattle is more progressive and radical. Coming from Boston, I always thought of Boston as being more of the liberal area, but once I visited Seattle, the Sleepless City makes Boston look conservative.

As far as climate, I think Seattle and Boston are very similar, and in terms of city design, while Seattle is more of a grid system, both cities are very similar IMHO.

Culture of PAX though doesn't change. The only glaring difference between East and Prime is the venue. Where the BCEC is basically one long behemoth, the Washington State Convention Center (WSCC) is very much like the Hynes and built in a multilevel configuration.

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
    Vapok wrote: »
    basically one long behemoth

That's what she said?

Seriously, though, PAX Prime is awesome but definitely a different vibe. There's an especially big difference in tabletop space, as it's all broken up into smaller rooms. Also, I think the lines are better at Prime than at East, but maybe that's just me? Also, PAX Prime has...BUTTONEERING!!!

• agony42agony42 Registered User regular
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Also, PAX Prime has...BUTTONEERING!!!

PAX Prime noob here, what is buttoneering?

Also, I just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU for this thread! I just found out that I'll be attending PAX Prime (first time, been to East twice though) and am starting to get quite excited with the planning! :D

agony42 wrote: »
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Also, PAX Prime has...BUTTONEERING!!!

PAX Prime noob here, what is buttoneering?

Also, I just wanted to pop in and say THANK YOU for this thread! I just found out that I'll be attending PAX Prime (first time, been to East twice though) and am starting to get quite excited with the planning! :D

People get custom pin-on buttons made, and trade/collect them on their lanyards/clothes. It's not universal or anything, but it's a pretty cool side quest :) I haven't done it at previous PAXes, but I'll definitely be doing it this year!! :D

There will be a "Prime 2012 Buttoneering" thread closer to PAX with tips, tricks and advice for doing it.

• Adam802Adam802 Registered User new member
    edited April 2012
    Does anyone know where I can find a video/recap of the "Legal issues in the Game Industry" panel? This one: http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/legal-issues-in-the-game-industry

Adam802 on
    Adam802 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can find a video/recap of the "Legal issues in the Game Industry" panel? This one: http://east.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/legal-issues-in-the-game-industry

This is the PAX Prime FAQ. Your question might be more well placed in the video thread. (I have no answer).

• ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    Thanks as usual to Small Lady for this thread.
    Any word about size and scope of the expo hall this year? Use of annex, additional foors etc...
    Any word about anticipated attendance size?

Shall we make wagers on how quickly it sells out?

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
    Thanks as usual to Small Lady for this thread.
    Any word about size and scope of the expo hall this year? Use of annex, additional foors etc...
    Any word about anticipated attendance size?

Shall we make wagers on how quickly it sells out?

The first question is likely unanswerable this early (at least by anyone not part of the very very early planning portions of pax...). If there's nothing like Halo-fest this year though there will probably be normal expo in the annex.

As far as attendance size goes, I'm going to guess it will stay about the same. There hasn't been any new space added to the WSCC complex that I know of. It should be less crowded than 2011 if they get a hold on the counterfeiting problems and are able to actually enforce whatever policy they have (the policy at east seemed good, but security was super lax in the expo hall, for one).

Last year 3-day badges sold out in 22 days. I'm going to guess 18 for this year, maybe 16.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    CtrlAltDft wrote: »
    {SNIP}The map of WSCC makes it look a lot more confusing than the BCEC.{SNIP}

I can't speak for relative, but as a 1st time last year, the WSCC is a bit confusing, My wife and I didn't find Bandland until day 2, several times we couldn't find our way back to where we wanted to be. And at least once I thought I was heading towards a hallway and ended up in the expohall (rather than going around it.) It's entirely possible we're just stupid (I admit to be aweful with directions) but I would just advice patience trying to get from point A to Point B. (I imagine it's easier for oldtimers and for people more used to the choas of Cons in general, of which we were neither.)
    {More Snippage}Last year 3-day badges sold out in 22 days. I'm going to guess 18 for this year, maybe 16.

Even if this is off by a factor of 2, it's important to stress. I know at least one group that waited to long to buy a pass and ended up not going (luckily they had just moved to seattle, so they weren't out any money.)

• YiffyWolfenYiffyWolfen Filmmaker Chicago, ILRegistered User new member
    Heading to my first PAX this year. This is by far the best FAQ for anything ever written. haha

Can't wait.

Heading to my first PAX this year. This is by far the best FAQ for anything ever written. haha

Can't wait.

Protips:

Buy your 3-day bobcat and your hotel room as SOON as they are announced on the forums. Do not wait for nothing nor no-one.

• DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As the Designated PAX Planner of my group of 8, I have been charged with accquiring affordable hotel accomodations. Trick is, we are all largely PAX noobs- 3 of us did 1 day last year and that's it. I have no idea what to expect. Even though it may be a bit early to be thinking about it, I'm worried I can't meet the group budget.

So, I turn to you, oh wise and wonderful internet... does PAX get discounted rates at the nearby hotels like other cons? What have you paid in the past, and where did you stay? How far was the walk? Any other tips?

DuelLadyS on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    For the sheraton/hyatt it's usually ~200 bucks a night for a room with 2 double beds? The hotels are within a block of the convention centre. I think the non-PAX rate is closer to 300 a night or something. There's also the Homewood Suites which is ~2 blocks (?) and costs around the same amount, but you get a fridge/kitchen thing as well, afaik.

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Are pirate-hat riding bobcats as feared at PAX Prime as they are at East?

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    DuelLadyS wrote:
    As the Designated PAX Planner of my group of 8, I have been charged with accquiring affordable hotel accomodations. Trick is, we are all largely PAX noobs- 3 of us did 1 day last year and that's it. I have no idea what to expect. Even though it may be a bit early to be thinking about it, I'm worried I can't meet the group budget.

So, I turn to you, oh wise and wonderful internet... does PAX get discounted rates at the nearby hotels like other cons? What have you paid in the past, and where did you stay? How far was the walk? Any other tips?

Read the FAQ stickied at the top, your answers lie there.

Kiashien wrote: »

That's called a VIP Pass.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular

Can't wait.

dawww thanks :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels

That's called a VIP Pass.

Hmm. I may have to attend so that he can make another appearance then.

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    I drafted this up but didn't post it, but since someone said they're coming in a big group I thought it might be helpful:

Speaking of the not waiting, if you're trying to get a group to go, as I am, and it's not entirely dependent on them tell everyone they're on their own for passes and the like to ensure lack of your personal problems. The wife and I are going regardless of the other members in our group, so they can buy a pass or fail on their own merits (same for hotels). Obviously if failure of one person to come would result in financial ruin for you YMMV (plan accordingly.) If I had waited for my friends to move their butts, I'd have not ended up going to PAX last year. (And thus, would not have seen the awesome and be going this year.)

• WeeEvil EeveeWeeEvil Eevee TacomaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    PAX PRIME sounds exciting. I have been debating to go to it ever sense i missed Sakura-con. An anime convention i've been going to for almost i think 9 years....it feels like that long. yeah. Anyways this sounds exciting it'll be my first Pax prime though still debating if i should go or not, trying to decide Before the passes go on sale. Any advice to a first timer that is use to an anime convention? I am also a gamer but i dont know how much of a gamer i would be considered.

What is Pax Dev?I found it on the site and was wondering what is it?((Answered)))

I guess what im asking is.How fun and when will there be an update of what will be going on at Pax Prime this year?Like i noticed last year there was a Assassins Creed Revelations panel,... SO Would have loved going to that but my friend being a meanie kept Pax Prime a secret from me((Answered))
    ..Oh and where can i find out where the Paramount Theatre is located(Theatre answered)?

Also i noticed that the badges are done differently then what is done at some cons. Other then to save time why is it the badges are mailed out? and why do they not have the names of the people that ordered them on them?

IM SORRY FOR SO MANY QUESTIONSSSSSSS.

do you think tobuscus will be there this year?

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Can't answer everything, but...

-PAX Dev is basically a mini-GDC just before PAX. It's meant for industry people only.
    -Schedule will be out about a month before PAX.
    -Paramount is 2 blocks NE of the WSCC.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Can't answer everything, but...

-PAX Dev is basically a mini-GDC just before PAX. It's meant for industry people only.
    -Schedule will be out about a month before PAX.
    -Paramount is 2 blocks NE of the WSCC.

Ah. Thankyous ^.^

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I didn't see this covered in the FAQ under hotels so I'm curious what is THE hotel to get?

I mean PAXEast has the Westin and the Seafront, is there an equivalent at PAXPrime?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    I didn't see this covered in the FAQ under hotels so I'm curious what is THE hotel to get?

I mean PAXEast has the Westin and the Seafront, is there an equivalent at PAXPrime?

well i would guess depends on how much you are willing to spend.I know that going through Pax you probably get good deals not sure. never done it my self. But if all else false The Green Tortoise Hostel
    is a decent place to go.Not super fancy or anything and you do share a room with people you do not know unless you reserve the 8 bedroom for you and your friends, and there are other rooms that have i believe less beds making them probably bigger as well but a bit more. But the 8 bedroom for one person would cost a total of 62 dollars not counting Tax if there is any. Plus 20 dollars down for blanket and all that which you get back when you check out so i guess 82 total still cheaper then a hotel. Located right by Pike Place market on the corner almost.

Last year IIRC the Sheraton was the first to sell out (it's literally right across the street.) I'm told it's pretty inexpensive all things considered (dunno, missed the sell out) The Hyatt is "one block over" and I put that in quotes because it's pretty much on the same block as the Annex and straight down from the paramount. It's a great hotel but you pay for it. I think it was $180/night but I don't remember if that had Taxes or not. Mini-Fridges at the Hyatt are only $5 for your whole stay (they stick it in ther corner next to the desk) so that was pretty cool (saved us time and money on lunches.) They've got great soaker tubs and huge bathrooms too (if you're sharing a room.)

edited April 2012
    HomeWood Suite is a good place as well.only down the street.

WeeEvil Eevee on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular

The nice thing about the WSCC's location is that it's actually in downtown, so there's lots of hotels and food nearby. As @tsrbike said, the Sheraton and the Hyatt are the closest, but there's probably a dozen or so within a half mile of the convention center, so if you don't get in on those two, you're still likely to be in very close proximity to other PAXers.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?

The Sheraton is the closest hotel.

How do I convince my girlfriend to let me go without her, without being stabbed in the throat? (She possibly wants to go more than I do, but doesn't have the vacation time available at this time)

How do I convince my girlfriend to let me go without her, without being stabbed in the throat? (She possibly wants to go more than I do, but doesn't have the vacation time available at this time)

Good Question. Well you could try convincing her that you'll video tape it for her?or take a lot of photos

Good Question. Well you could try convincing her that you'll video tape it for her?or take a lot of photos

Alas, that is a poor plan. She knows I'm horrible at taking photos, and my artistic capabilities are practically negative.

Alas, that is a poor plan. She knows I'm horrible at taking photos, and my artistic capabilities are practically negative.

Oh darn. hm.I would say just go anyways but yeah idk.Tell her you'll bring her back a souvenir or something and like tape that to your forehead or put a note in your wallet or somethign to remind you.?tell her you'll have fun for the both of you? um yeah i dont know what to tell you.Sorry.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular

Tell her the Cult needs you..

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
This discussion has been closed.