As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The forums are ridiculously slow right now

erisian popeerisian pope Registered User regular
And I know this is not just me, as Callius and Shokkur (Fallout) have both mentioned it recently.

This is just an FYI.

If there's already a thread, I apologize. I looked and didn't see one.

<3

erisian pope on

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2004
    yeah. not sure if the problem is known, and/or if there's anything anybody can do. but it's hard to access anything right now.

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2004
    They're not slow right now for me, but wouldn't load at all for like four hours.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2004
    I'll bet good money it's those foul DoS bastards known as "Google."

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    I'll bet good money it's those foul DoS bastards known as "Google."
    I HATES THEM, I DO!

Actually, it is faster right now.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    Keith and I shared a common problem.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Obbi wrote:

Chlamydia?

A duck! on
  • Options
    BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    It was slow for me at 2-3 last night.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Options
    XanathusXanathus Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Yeah I couldn't even access it for a good hour.
    I actually had to surf elsewhere :O

Xanathus on
  • Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    Obbi wrote:

Chlamydia?

That's a wussy STD.

Obbi on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Obbi wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Obbi wrote:

Chlamydia?

That's a wussy STD.

Well, you used the past tense, so it would have to be.

A duck! on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2004
    They need to make a "Yes, we know the forums are slow" sticky thread to eliminate threads like this one.

Bottom line is, until Mike and Jerry decide to go with different hosting, the forums are always gonna be slow. HomeLAN has proven time and again they cannot consistently handle the load that Penny Arcade brings. With HomeLAN being free for M & J, I cannot forsee a hosting change anytime in the near future, so, please, spare us the "the forums are slow" threads. We already know.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    They need to make a "Yes, we know the forums are slow" sticky thread to eliminate threads like this one.

Bottom line is, until Mike and Jerry decide to go with different hosting, the forums are always gonna be slow. HomeLAN has proven time and again they cannot consistently handle the load that Penny Arcade brings. With HomeLAN being free for M & J, I cannot forsee a hosting change anytime in the near future, so, please, spare us the "the forums are slow" threads. We already know.

You say you already know (even though this was meant for admins) but I want to point out that it is not uncommon for Alpha to mention killing an IP that was session-flooding the forums. Somtimes slowdowns occur for correctable reasons. If noone with the ability to check for and rectify similar situations is actively browsing the forums, then perhaps a thread in the forum whose purpose includes pointing things out to the mods and admins might catch their attention.

I see nothing wrong with this thread other than it seems to have annoyed you even though you could simply not read it. The title of the thread was clear enough to inform you as to the nature of the content.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited July 2004

You say you already know (even though this was meant for admins) but I want to point out that it is not uncommon for Alpha to mention killing an IP that was session-flooding the forums. Somtimes slowdowns occur for correctable reasons. If noone with the ability to check for and rectify similar situations is actively browsing the forums, then perhaps a thread in the forum whose purpose includes pointing things out to the mods and admins might catch their attention.

I see nothing wrong with this thread other than it seems to have annoyed you even though you could simply not read it. The title of the thread was clear enough to inform you as to the nature of the content.
    Session flodding is pretty rare, and the error (generally) is displayed like this
    phpBB Error :: Could not create new session

Session table is full

. The concept behind session flooding could be used to slow down the forums (DoS\DDoS), but it would be unlikely. At the bottom of the page (displayed only to admins) is a little counter it looks like this :
    (PHP: 0.2862s - SQL: 0.0222s) - SQL queries: 10 - GZIP enabled

. There are two ways that the forum slows down. The first, (and most common) some query hangs in MySQL and that .0222s shoots up to 20-30sec. This can be fixed by me patching MySQL and redoing some my.cnf variables.
    The second set common type of slowness stems from PHP inflating its load time to about 15-20sec. Despite my best work, I have been unable to trace why this happens. My guess is some other site on the cluster uses some really terrible algorithm to update\backup\cache things and it just takes up all the apache threads.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited July 2004

First, I'm not annoyed. I was just stating my piece.

Second, it wasn't meant as a bitch post; my apologies if it came across that way.

Finally, anyone with the ability to rectify rectifiable problems will already notice a board slowdown and will do whatever they can to rectify it. Telling them something they already know is just redundant.

PS - I might have overused 'rectify' and its variants.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2004

Second, it wasn't meant as a bitch post; my apologies if it came across that way.

Finally, anyone with the ability to rectify rectifiable problems will already notice a board slowdown and will do whatever they can to rectify it. Telling them something they already know is just redundant.

First - my mistake. It seemed to me that you were.

Second - noted, accepted, and reciprocated. Seeing as I thought you were annoyed and indirectly bitching at me, I became defensive. I debated deleting my post as I was feeling guilty about my defensivenes. So I, too, apologize.

Third - A good assumption that is probably correct most, if not all, of the time. But on the off chance that it was not noticed, or was noticed and assumed to be local to the person noticing and not affecting many if not all people - what does it hurt to make the thread so that people affected can:

(1) add their name to the list (communicationg that the experience is accross the board) and

(2) see a thread on it and know that it has been mentioned so that we don't end up with a half dozen threads in some/all of the forums hijacked to discuss the slowdowns.

(3) I think it helps to that on the day of the current manifestation, the admin who kills the session-flooding IP (for exampole) can then post what they found to be a problem and that they took steps to resolve it.

Many people feel better knowing those in authority are as informed as possible, and are doing what they can even if the overall problem is not addressable. Intellectually, I understand this is always the case, but it still warms my heart every time Alpha posts saying "people were having X problem and I fixed it temporarily by doing Y."

Perhaps a sticky thread (as you suggested) would be a good idea as a catchall for this kind of discussion.

erisian pope on
  • Options
    edited July 2004

Second - noted, accepted, and reciprocated. Seeing as I thought you were annoyed and indirectly bitching at me, I became defensive. I debated deleting my post as I was feeling guilty about my defensivenes. So I, too, apologize.

Third - A good assumption that is probably correct most, if not all, of the time. But on the off chance that it was not noticed, or was noticed and assumed to be local to the person noticing and not affecting many if not all people - what does it hurt to make the thread so that people affected can:

(1) add their name to the list (communicationg that the experience is accross the board) and

(2) see a thread on it and know that it has been mentioned so that we don't end up with a half dozen threads in some/all of the forums hijacked to discuss the slowdowns.

(3) I think it helps to that on the day of the current manifestation, the admin who kills the session-flooding IP (for exampole) can then post what they found to be a problem and that they took steps to resolve it.

Many people feel better knowing those in authority are as informed as possible, and are doing what they can even if the overall problem is not addressable. Intellectually, I understand this is always the case, but it still warms my heart every time Alpha posts saying "people were having X problem and I fixed it temporarily by doing Y."

Perhaps a sticky thread (as you suggested) would be a good idea as a catchall for this kind of discussion.

You failed to respond to my rectify comment. I suggest you rectify that immediately.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2004

You failed to respond to my rectify comment. I suggest you rectify that immediately.

I'll rectumfy you!

erisian pope on
  • Options
    ChuffyChuffy Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I'm actually having a problem in the fact that new topics or new replies to posts aren't turning the folder thing red...y'know.

And it only started happening when I logged out to see the new spiffy thing Alphamonkey had done...

Intruiging.

Chuffy on
    youthsig.jpg
    Why do you always pursue revolutionary reactions!?
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    The forums are acting rather weird right now...

Crazy slow...but then regular...and then just not loading...

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    The whole god damned internet is running slow for me right now. I blame teen pop sensation Jojo and expect Alpha to rectumfy the situation fartwith.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ThanatoidThanatoid Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    The whole site is running EXTREMELY slow for me, and has been for the past few hours.

Thanatoid on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2004
    I don't know about anyone else, but I would be all for Mike and Jerry to start taking donations again so they'd be able to get a reliable paid hosting service.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    oh I know what this is. This is penny arcade being raped for bandwidth on a comic day.
    This page took 30 seconds to load but look at the server-side timers
    (PHP: 0.3298s - SQL: 0.0621s) - SQL queries: 9 - GZIP enabled

This is due to the fact that HomeLAN has mod_bandwith installed.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    JinnJinn Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I beat Baldur's Gate 2 waiting for this page to load.

I think The Geek is on to something.

Jinn on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    oh I know what this is. This is penny arcade being raped for bandwidth on a comic day.
    This page took 30 seconds to load but look at the server-side timers
    (PHP: 0.3298s - SQL: 0.0621s) - SQL queries: 9 - GZIP enabled

This is due to the fact that HomeLAN has mod_bandwith installed.
    I can't interprate the server stuff you posted, but are you saying that HomeLAN is restricting PA's bandwidth?

Is this relatively new? The forums have had occasional slowdowns and stuff in the past, but the last 2 or 3 days have been unprecedented since I have been posting/lurking here (last summer - which by no means makes me an authority, I realize).

erisian pope on
  • Options
    GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    The slowness has killed the boards. No one is posting.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2004
    This is ridiculous, the slowest I've ever seen the boards.

Hopefully it'll get fixed soon, or I'll have to, like, go outside.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Moriveth wrote:
    This is ridiculous, the slowest I've ever seen the boards.

Hopefully it'll get fixed soon, or I'll have to, like, go outside.

:shock: Aren't there bears outside?

erisian pope on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    I think its works now. If i can post thats good.

Bears smell server otage you know. They were clawing at my windows. :shock:

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    I sent an email to homelan and they were very speedy in fixing it up. It was about 5 minutes after I sent the email that the site came back up and at full speed :D

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    VanVan Registered User new member
    edited July 2004
    I sent an email to homelan and they were very speedy in fixing it up. It was about 5 minutes after I sent the email that the site came back up and at full speed :D

It's still very slow. For me, at least.

Van on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Van wrote:

Me too, but at least it loads in Firefox now, and a lot faster than it did earlier.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    so)(goso)(go Registered User regular
    edited July 2004
    Moriveth wrote:
    Van wrote:

Me too, but at least it loads in Firefox now, and a lot faster than it did earlier.

It is faster, but damn its slow.

so)(go on
    azamanga_apple.jpg