As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game of Thrones] Winter is coming... to a console near you! Its out!

Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Games and Technology
Brought to you by Cyanide Studios and Atlus the game is an action 3rd person RPG that is set in the realm of Westeros during the timeframe of the books. Another company given credit is Focus Entertainment. As with everyone else I am worried that Cyanide systems is handling the main development but Atlus is also tagged so perhaps some magic can be brought over into the game. The game is set to be released on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC this May 15th. The game has been developed on top of the Unreal3 engine.

Reviews are coming low but I will check it out when it drops in price.

Website Link.

Please be respectful regarding spoilers for the A Song of Ice and Fire universe. Please tag all spoilers regarding the books! If you have not read the first book you may not want to read up on the game as well as it contains minor spoilers!

From the website:

The story of A Game of Thrones takes place during the first book of the saga, at the time when Jon Arryn, the Hand of King Robert Baratheon, is found dead at King's Landing.  The game allows players to follow two epic quests: Mors and Alester's quests.  Their totally original story was canonized by George R.R. Martin himself and perfectly integrates the original story the fans are so familiar with in the  series. All throughout the game, the numerous references to books, characters and famous locations form an impressive Westeros encyclopedia, which players can consult at any time during their adventures.

Mimicking the books, the two heroes' stories are told alternatively, chapter by chapter, each character sharing the role of main character… up until their paths cross during a common quest.  Welcome to a totally innovative narrative style for an RPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cagSl3rgM2Q

Characters:
The two main characters are described as:
Mors, sworn brother of the Night's Watch

Mors is the last surviving member of House Westford, from a bloodline of knights who have been in service to House Lannister for generations. Because Mors was forced to abandon his family when he joined the Night's Watch fifteen years ago and took his oath as a sworn brother.
Mors is now one of the best rangers of his order, and his aggression in combat earned him the nickname of 'the Butcher'. He is both feared and respected, as much by his enemies as his allies. Gruff and direct, but also an experienced strategist, he prefers effective action to fruitless discussion. He is a man with an unyielding sense of honor, who would not hesitate to sacrifice his own life to defend his convictions.

Alester, the Red Priest on a quest for redemption.

Alester is the eldest son of House Sarwyck, a noble vassal family of the Lannisters. His father was Lord Raynald Sarwyck, head of the House and Lord of Riverspring.

Fifteen years ago, he decided to abandon his family and duties to settle in the Free Cities of the east, across the Narrow Sea. There, he entered the orders of the Clergy of R'hllor, thus becoming a red priest. He now devotes his life to his god and his faith. He is a calm and diplomatic man, loyal at heart and prefers to think before acting.

The game will also include visits from several famous characters from the book series.

Combat System:
From this trailer the combat system looks to be a derivative of KOTOR with modern class specing. Multi class is also mentioned as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13Ti0SeYaUU

Jubal77 on

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Want to say awesome before I never step foot in this thread again. I'm a tv viewer and am only on book 3. Spoilers will be all up in here I'm guessing.

If youve never read the books/watched the show and want to, and wander in here, I'd stay away unless you want some fantastic, and horrible, things ruined for you.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    I really doubt Cyanide can pull this off (After their previous games and after the strategy game). Few devs could in the first place, though.

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Expecting this to be a mediocre tie-in attempt, but I am leaving myself open to a pleasant surprise. Definitely waiting on release-version reviews and reactions, though.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Agreeing with everyone - definitely hopeful, definitely nervous.

If we end up talking about the show/books, remember to wrap up everything in spoiler tags.

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It all sounds and seems so good...

But as mentioned, I have less than zero faith in Cyanide to even release it, much less make it good.

Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen and the Seven will be praised and the thing will be playable, crazier things have happened...

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    I am hoping that having Atlus attached to it will help.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I see they put in a Grrrr Martin cameo at 1:52 in the trailer.

Can't say I expect a GoT game to be any better than most movie tie-in games, but hey, there's always room for surprise.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    As others stated I enjoyed the LOTRO movie tie in games. This looks to try to segregate itself away from the movies which may help.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Isn't there a Game of Thrones RTS game available? I thought I saw clips of it, it all takes place before the story in the books

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »
    Isn't there a Game of Thrones RTS game available? I thought I saw clips of it, it all takes place before the story in the books

There is. All reports of it that I've read have been horrible. Really, really horrible.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    wait what else has cyanide made that will make me hate them?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    They havent made much actually. They made that RTS for the PC.... It was called Game of Thrones: Genesis. I never played it. The gameplay videos I saw of it didnt look horrible. Just slow. Very slow.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    They havent made much actually. They made that RTS for the PC.... It was called Game of Thrones: Genesis. I never played it. The gameplay videos I saw of it didnt look horrible. Just slow. Very slow.

Its more that they are a pretty mediocre developer (BloodBowl is actually pretty fun). Not really someone that should have the ASOIAF license. Also this

horse-racing-manager-2-pc-boxart.jpg

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Blood Bowl is their biggest claim to fame, though they have a shaky history of supporting that.

They also have a history of announcing games and then never releasing them taking forever to release them. (Edit: the ones I was originally thinking of was a combination of a similarly named studio and games they did actually eventually release)

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The game looks on the level with Two Worlds and elements of KOTOR. For all of the flaws that game had by being from a lower tier dev I still enjoyed it.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    The trailers I've seen for this do not leave me the slightest bit hopeful that it will turn out well. It looks exactly like a DA:O mod with slightly clunkier animation.

Someone, perhaps Zeboyd, needs to just make this already and be done with the matter.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    what the hell, that was actually funny.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    It's pretty hard to screw up hacky slashy RPG combat for me, so I imagine no matter the end product I'll probably eek out a bit of enjoyment from it.

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    what the hell, that was actually funny.

My favorite part was Theon. Nobody I watch the show with has any idea who he is or why he's a character. Hodor was a good guess.

I really wish some better developer had gotten the license, and maybe one will when cyanide balls this up.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Really wish Avellone would do a GoT RPG.

But this? Eh. My pants are dry. Hopefully they can change my mind.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    The trailer just doesn't look very good.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    I think it "looks" ok. Animations look sub par but not horrible. Like Corp said its hard to mess it up... I mean I played through Two Worlds and Sacred 2 :)

• Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    I wish a bigger, better studio could have gotten the license for this.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm not particularly optimistic, but my girlfriend pre-ordered it for me for Christmas last year (with the full payment method), so... well, I'm gonna have. I love Game of Thrones, but I guess more importantly I love my penis, so I'll have to try it.

The animation does look outdated, but that's not a huge concern for me. Honestly, even if it looks bad and the combat is clunky, I'll be happy if its a good story. Mass Effect 1 had some "Ugh" combat mechanics, and I still beat it like four times. But Insanity difficult on ME1? It's just "LOL, we gave the badguys a gajillion shields. Have fun taking hours to kill a group of em'."

• Options
    JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    Well, the game is out. There are some harsh reviews out there, 4/10 from IGN but also a mediocre score or two such as RPGfan's 75.

But I've never been one to get hung up on reviews. Despite all the bad (apparently graphics, voice acting), it's apparently got a good story, and it looks like it may offer some fun customization.

Hmm. Not a $60 purchase, but it's kind of got my attention.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    @joshofalltrades
    Really wish Avellone would do a GoT RPG.

"Winter is coming", intoned Eddard Stark pensively.

-> Would you like to hear more?

Yes

"Well you see, Winter has always been coming. Ever since before the White Walkers roamed the land, back in the before time, back when 'twas just the First Men, Winter had been coming, aye, then too." Eddard Stark chuckled, a black chuckle, a chuckle that seemed to resonate down to the very core of your being. "For Winter is much like Summer, but the opposite. Leaves which had previously been on trees now lay upon the ground, dead. Dead from the very thing of which I speak- that being, of course...Winter."

-> Would you like to hear more?

Yes

"Ah, Winter." Eddard continued. "Winter winter winter winter winter." Eddard spoke the last "winter" almost as an expletive, an unwanted word. If winter was a dog, it would be one of the mongrels which roamed around the table, begging for scraps as the men ate, here in this great hall. Eddard was getting antsy, antsy about Winter, you noticed.

"Do you not understand, boy?" Eddard spoke suddenly, his quick words cutting through the awkward silence, like a knife, a knife polished to a mirror sheen. And the silence, oh, the silence was a big block of cheese ready to take the knife of his words. "Winter is coming."

Rent on
  • Options
    Ive lost track of this game due to diablo like I thought I would. From what I have been reading I see alot of boring comments but I never really read into those that much. I have seen this generation play video games and skip cinematic is used wildly.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh God Rent

I love you

Also I am hearing bad things about this game from reviews

I have the first season of the show on DVD but have yet to watch it

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular

I have the first season of the show on DVD but have yet to watch it

you should it is p baller

i love GoT the show so much I bought the books

It's probably my second favorite currently running tv show behind breaking bad

• Options
    Jebral wrote: »
    Well, the game is out. There are some harsh reviews out there, 4/10 from IGN but also a mediocre score or two such as RPGfan's 75.

But I've never been one to get hung up on reviews. Despite all the bad (apparently graphics, voice acting), it's apparently got a good story, and it looks like it may offer some fun customization.

Hmm. Not a $60 purchase, but it's kind of got my attention.

Yes, even IGN's scathing review mentioned it seemed to have a strong story (which has carried me through games before.)

Considering I got the game as a pre-order for Christmas from my (awesome) girlfriend... well, guess I at least have to try and play through all of it. I mean, I already own it, and it was a thoughtful gift (based on her knowledge on my love for both videogames and Game of Thrones). So, I'll play it (when I'm done playing the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and some CKII that I've been itching for in these last, videogame and wisdom tooth free days)... and then I'll report back here with my (probably biased) opinion of it.

I mean, it's a Game of Thrones videogame: it's gonna have to really, really suck for me to not get some amount of enjoyment out of it.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i checked out the gameplay trailer; but i'm getting the distinct impression that it's more DA:O than Witcher 2 :(

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    I don't know anyone else on PA who has it (i won it from a Handgimp giveaway) but at least on the PC I can't really give impressions because

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rosscourt/screenshot/540675904087740391?tab=public

is what I see in all the menus and

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rosscourt/screenshot/540675904087747869/?tab=public

is how it hangs indefinitely on the first loading screen.

So that's really the only impression I can give at the moment.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I hate that, despite bad reviews, I want to play this. Not a smart way to spend money...

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/game-of-thrones

:(, not good at all. I cant spend $60 even if i love the books.

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    I favor creating guys named after characters in GOT in other video games instead. I find Sandor Clegane to be an enjoyable RPG character in almost all games. I guess I hope this game is good, but from all accounts I've read it isn't and I've stopped paying $60 for a lot of games that are likely to be much better lately.

Spoilered for general ASOIAF related humor - Anyone beyond the first book will get it.
    It seems to me that the only real interesting game mechanic you could pull from GOT is trying to be a character and stay alive for as long as possible. Not in a combat kind of way though. More like, sorry, you've made a single poor decision, you've been beheaded! Game Over!

Maybe Sierra in the late 80's should do this game.

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    I just want to know how the people giving this bad reviews are actually playing it while I can't get it to not hang on loading forever

• Options
    SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    Don't want to derail the thread too much, but if you're looking for a game that really evokes the spirit of ASOIAF, Crusader Kings II (Total War-style strategy game with better intrigue/diplomacy options but no tactical combat) is great on its own, and has an ASOIAF mod coming out soon that looks like it will really do the ip justice.

Granted it's a different style of game, and it's pc, not console, but I thought I'd mention it for those folks jonesing to really play the game of thrones. Plus it's 20 bucks less. There's some discussion about it in the paradox thread on this forum.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jamesrajamesra Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I don't know anyone else on PA who has it (i won it from a Handgimp giveaway) but at least on the PC I can't really give impressions because

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rosscourt/screenshot/540675904087740391?tab=public

is what I see in all the menus and

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rosscourt/screenshot/540675904087747869/?tab=public

is how it hangs indefinitely on the first loading screen.

So that's really the only impression I can give at the moment.

Hey. It does that for me too. Awesome! And sadly, I can barely even find a support forum for it, since "Game of Thrones" as a search has created a bit of a needle in a haystack problem...

"Everything in war is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end by producing a kind of friction. . . . This tremendous friction . . . is everywhere in contact with chance, and brings about effects that cannot be measured, just because they are largely due to chance" Carl Von Clausezwitz. (1832),
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Okay, so, I finally got to sit down for a few hours and play this. First impressions?

The title screen: Honestly, and it's a super minor part of the game, but I liked it. Felt like something from the yesteryears of gaming.

Graphics: There's two things I look for in graphics, both technical quality and the actual art style, with the latter being more important. From a technical standpoint, this game is pretty awful for a modern game. Any thoughts of "maybe they'll improve things before release" based on old preview videos/screenshots you can throw out the window right now. Meanwhile, the talking animations are pretty bad and everyone looks like they're missing a couple of muscles around their mouth. This game really and truly looks like it could've been made as a 360 release game. The only saving grace in terms of looks here is the art style. It feels proper, and the atmosphere of the world (of what little I've seen so far) seems spot on. Castle Black is appropriately dreary, hazy, and balls-frozen-off cold, while it's Common Halls were a cozy, fire-lit respite from the bleakness outside. Just don't look too closely at the "fire"... it's animated pretty horrifically.

Voice Acting: Varied from great to "holy crap, they paid that guy?". Anyone from the show who has a voice role that I've stumbled across so far has knocked it out of the park, but all the original characters for the game are a legitimate grab bag. Mors, the first protagonist, has a serious Shatner-style OTTness to him... sometimes he isn't too bad, but other times he might as well be screaming "RAWR, ME SCARY AND DARK!!!" and it'd have the same effect. I've mostly just played alone with it and taken the Psychopath trait, made him dual-wielding Magnar crazyman, and basically been a complete dick to everyone. Still, some of the original characters are decent. Walder fellow in the Common Halls was pretty cool, and Celtigar is an appropriately douchey knight with his head up his ass. Probably just means they'll both be dead soon, and it'll likely be painful.

Story: Haven't played enough to make a true opinion on it, but so far I've really enjoyed it (despite Mors "You're never too old to be Goth" Westford best efforts). In fact, seeing what happens next is the real thing that's driving me to actually sit down and continue to give the game a chance.

Combat: Eh, it's okay. Very DA:O, except instead of pausing you can just go super slow motion. There's some strategy involved from what I've experienced so far, but maybe not as much as I'd like. I'd say it's probably a step or two above Mass Effect 1's combat, give or take. Really though, it's another category I'm going to need some more time to get a full opinion on, as right now I'm still firmly in the stage of a game where you almost have to actively try to fail.

Misc: The game comes off as complex, which is great, but does fuck all to teach you about its depths, which blows. "Hey, choose your class NOW based on some vague descriptions, then pick some strengths/weaknesses, weapon skills, and allocate skill points without any idea what most of them actually do!" I did my best, but I have no idea how good my decisions there were. Now I'm pretty sure I'm stuck as a Pyrophobic, Ambidextrous, Gifted, Psychopath Magnar with a Collapsed Lung. I guess as long as I don't have to sprint long distances through flames I'll be good. I do like the Strengths/Weaknesses system though, it's a fun idea and it seems to update based on your actual in-game choices, which is also nifty. Rather than move on, I chose to torture a guy a bit more to make sure he was giving all the information he possibly could, and was awarded with a "Sadistic" strength. The menu/inventory is also pretty user friendly and straight forward, and it doesn't take too much work to navigate. There's a codex (like every other RPG of this generation), which is a nice touch for folks interested in the greater mythology of Westeros.

Overall Opinion (so far): The game is OK. I've actually managed to enjoy myself despite all of its flaws, so clearly something was done right with it. In all honesty, if it wasn't for the ASOIAF property I'd probably have never looked at it twice, so perhaps I'm a bit biased. I think if it wasn't so rushed (which looking at painful graphics, it was) I think it could've had the potential to be a truly phenomenal RPG. Instead, it's something that's pretty, well... average. Not great by any stretch, but the fact I've so far enjoyed myself tells me that it's not completely terrible either. Indeed, it's not the complete abominable failure I feared it might be. For ASOIAF/GOT fans out there... I'd suggest giving it a whirl: once it drops a bit in price, that is. I was just lucky enough that I have a loving lady in my life that thought pre-ordering a combination of two of my favorite things would be a thoughtful Christmas gift.

Now if you'll excuse me, some more folks need to die while Mors Westford intensely growls some shit that even Dolorous Edd would find depressing.

Comradebot on