As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gripes aside, what's one specific thing YOU plan to do differently next year?

124»

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Xiryc wrote: »
    2) NOT at the Westin. Convenience to the convention hall is ALL that place has going for it, and it's not enough for the price.
    1.) THIS. The rooms at the Westin are tiny. Great for one person, but not really for three.

I think their room sizes must vary a bit. I had three people in my room at the Westin last year, two of us very large fellows, and never really felt cramped. This year I had two total in my room but felt that it could have easily fit 3 or maybe 4 (and this was with multiple boxes full of stuff/swag that I brought with me to PAX. I have heard the small room complaint before though, so it leads me to believe that some rooms are just bigger/smaller than others, or people are spending more time in their rooms than others.

I've been in a whole ton of hotel rooms while travelling for business and conventions and they really seem on-par with almost every chain hotel I've been in, with the exception of suites. I guess if you're trying to sleep 3+ people in a room that are not used to sharing a bed, with one on the floor, it could seem small, but I don't think very many hotels design for that case. I'm only mentioning this because I think it can cause a misconception to say a room is small without qualifying the usage and activities in the room. My guess is that two couples (4 adults) would feel fine in their two bed rooms if all they were doing was sleeping there. If you're trying to have 4 non-attached adults in some floor/bed situation while also trying to have the room act as a game playing room etc, well then yeah they're way too small for that.

also worth noting, since the westin kept their mezzanine tables open all weekend but they weren't used too much during pax hours, they made a good place for our group to sit and eat or play something when we didn't have the space to in the room. so it's still a workable situation.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    I already took action for one of my things, after a PAX or two of thinking about it: "try a different Enforcer job next time." But, that aside, I'll probably give the Westin a try. I like the Seaport a lot, but the Westin seems to be where it's at, socially speaking, to a large extent.

• Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    1) Not drink too much at a party. Seriously. Not even when someone connected says, "This is my friend; give her anything she wants!" Ugh. UGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH. So much pain.

2) Spend more time playing game demos even if I have to wait a little in line.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    1) Be an Enforcer
    2) Professor a Pokecrawl (Yellow) team if it doesn't interfere with 1
    3) Stay at the Westin, or not bother getting a hotel in Boston
    4) Organize a Coin Lunch again, even if it isn't for distribution (It was hella fun)
    4a) Charge a small up-front fee refundable if you show up to reduce no-shows
    5) Bring cooler cigars
    6) Might just run another Shadowrun intro course game
    7) Take more time off
    8) Organize a G+ circle meetup for some serious bar invasion and boozin'
    9) Do my civic duty and call the Barking Crab a week or two ahead and inform them that they will want extra staff all 3 days
    9a) They did realize this this year on Saturday, but it was a day too late in many cases!

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    BritalityBritality Registered User regular
    1) Stay at the Westin.
    2) Take time from Enforcing to play at least one game in TT.
    3) Participate in Girls Meetup.
    4) Sleep more.

• Options
    spillcanvasgirlspillcanvasgirl Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Win even MORE stuff! :-)

Avoid drinking so much NOS. I lost a day to the sickness of it.

Don't run up a down escalator because it's abandoned and the up escalator is full of people, and I'm in a hurry. That actually still takes longer.

spillcanvasgirl on
  • Options
    TheOneBarHeroTheOneBarHero The #1 Super Homie Seattle, WARegistered User new member
    1. Go to the main Panels (Keynote, G&T, Omegathon, etc.)
    2. Bring a nicer HD camera and takes TONS of pictures/videos
    3. Man Up and wait in lines for the games I truly want and not only play the games with no lines
    4. Try most of the indie games
    5. Meet tons of cool people!

• Options
    kaokao Community Manager San FranciscoRegistered User new member
    1. Follow Twitter more for update from PAXers. So helpful to hear everyone's last minute heads up
    2. Teach someone a new board game. It was fantastic to teach a random PAXer Small World, would love to continue doing that.
    3. Demo new board games
    4. Wear super comfy shoes!

• Options
    SarahstraszaSarahstrasza Registered User regular
    Play demos on the first day.. as a specific line last year.. was "cut off" / "closed" for most of saturday and sunday last year.

• Options
    d3r371ctd3r371ct pittsburghRegistered User regular
    1. i started planning in late january. not making that mistake again. better/closer hotel is a must!
    2. possibly take the train... or find a reliable teleporter.
    3. cosplay, cosplay, cosplay!
    4. arrive in boston before thursday night, stay after sunday night.
    5. film more and take more pictures.

lemon curry?
  • Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    1. Closer hotel for sure...or petitioning Boston to run the T after midnight... A hotel is probably easier. Finding a way back to Somerville is tricky.
    2. Drive there vs Amtrak. I love the PAX Train but it makes it so tricky to pack and anticipate making room for loot acquired at PAX.
    3. Decide if I want more panel time or more floor time this year. First year is was mostly floor and did maybe 5 panels the whole show, this year I focused mostly on panels and felt like I missed out on a lot of gameplay.

• Options
    WalterFWalterF seattleRegistered User regular
    Folding stools work SO well when "standing" in line.

http://www.rei.com/product/765283/rei-trail-stool

• Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Seanyd781 wrote: »
    3. Avoiding panels, unless they are after Expo Hall hours. Missed out on the final 4 hours of PAX sitting in line for the Gearbox panel, great panel but too much time between waiting & the panel itself.

I'm with you on that one. I went to the opening ceremony/keynote speaker and the following Q&A along with another panel because my friends went. After they were done they felt like wasted hours of my life.

• Options
    2spock2spock Registered User regular
    1) save more money so ill have it at the random time they announce tickets for prime.
    2) follow twitter more closely(even though i hate twitter, like i care what a person is eating/doing every minute lol)

• Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    I have two pieces of seemingly contradictory advice

1. Don't try to overdo it

Last year I was kind of nuts. After a bunch of solo PAXes, I went to PAX with a group of friends, and also tried to do the Brigade, get into afterparties, do my book of Wil Wheaton thing, Buttoneer, and meet up with people I knew. It was too much, and I felt overwhelmed. If you ever get to the point where you feel like you're stressed, sit back and make an objective assessment. Do the things that are most important to you... almost everything else will still be there next year, I promise.

2. Don't neglect community events stuff

That said, community stuff like the Triwizard, the LoadingReadyRun meetup (organized on their site, not on this one), and the post-PAX party (or whatever other events may exist and float your particular boat) are often the best part of PAX for me. Pay attention to community events that are happening, sign up for the ones that interest you, and then make sure they are a part of your schedule.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    2spock wrote: »
    1) save more money so ill have it at the random time they announce tickets for prime.
    2) follow twitter more closely(even though i hate twitter, like i care what a person is eating/doing every minute lol)

Bear in mind that you don't actually have to follow twitter. You just have to set up one thing, once:
    1. Wait until the previous PAX is over (East if you're trying to go to Prime, Prime if you're trying to go to East)
    2. Follow Official_PAX on twitter
    3. Link twitter to your phone and have it send SMS updates ONLY when that account updates

Now you never have to follow twitter except to turn off SMS updates after ticket sales, and then turn them on again after the next PAX.

So it's not about actually following twitter if you hate it.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • Options
    2spock2spock Registered User regular
    2spock wrote: »

Bear in mind that you don't actually have to follow twitter. You just have to set up one thing, once:
    1. Wait until the previous PAX is over (East if you're trying to go to Prime, Prime if you're trying to go to East)
    2. Follow Official_PAX on twitter
    3. Link twitter to your phone and have it send SMS updates ONLY when that account updates

Now you never have to follow twitter except to turn off SMS updates after ticket sales, and then turn them on again after the next PAX.

So it's not about actually following twitter if you hate it.

yeah i did that i guess i should probably turn them off now though. unless there is a call for enforcers.

• Options
    TheMisanthropeTheMisanthrope That's Mr. Misanthrope to you Registered User regular
    Things to do this year:

1) Get to the Expo hall when they open. I could never make it before noon. *pipe dreams*

2) Participate more. I've been one of those who likes to keep his chill in the back, but this year I think I'm going to start actively participating. Yeah, yeah...I'm a spectator.

3) Buy lots of extra phone batteries. Especially with the 4S, and the elimination of "turn off 4G" for AT&T phones, I need to effectively not tie myself to a plug.

4) Not exhaust myself, and stay in Free Play until after midnight, giving me only a chance to go to a bar afterwards and sit there zombielike.

Goal for 2013: Be an Enforcer. :-)

PAX Prime 2012: [X] Pass Purchased [X] Extra Charge Battery Packs for Phone, etc
  • Options
    Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    1. Hit the expo floor first thing Friday (skip keynote as it usually doesn't interest me anyways)
    2. No pannels - unless I'm REALLY interested in the topic
    3. More time in table top area (Muchkin anyone?!)
    4. No Cosplay - my costume wasn't very well recognized and I was tired after only 4 hours
    5. Just enjoy the moment more - for some reason I have failed to do this the last 2 years I have attended.
    2013: hurry up and get here!

• Options
    tinedizzletinedizzle Kelso, WARegistered User regular
    i'm going to plan a second vacation around the time of pax, for as quickly as tickets went, If I don't get tickets I'll still have some place to go and wont be entirely sad. Might still plan a vacation to Seattle and possibly enjoy PAX from the outside perspective LOL

• Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    1. Go to a Panel (3rd year going and I havent gone to one yet)
    2. Spend more time in the freeplay area
    3. Go to an after hours event.
    4. Try different foods
    5. Make a better list of stuff I want to see

kube00 on
    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    OneBarOneBar The #1 Super Homie SeattleRegistered User regular
    1. Demo a lot games
    2. Take more pictures
    3. Meet new friends!

• Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    1. Buy a walking stick with stool thingy combined so I can sit when I'm tired.
    2. Meet up with as many people as possible from previous PAXes.
    3. Go to as many community events as I can fit it.
    4. Make new friends.
    5. Go on the expo floor on Friday.
    6. Pick my panels carefully.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Remember to actually hand out the gamer "business" cards I made for Prime last year to cool people I meet (also need to meet more cool people.) Made like 50-60 of the things and only gave out 2 over Prime '11 and East '12...

• Options
    HeadhunterHeadhunter Registered User regular
    During the show, eat a lot healthier so I can keep my energy level up. I think that will be easier at PAX Prime with the awesome Juicy Cafe inside the convention centre, but the food options close by the BCEC for PAX East are pretty unhealthy.

After the show, following the official Twitter account (which I am now doing) so I know as soon as possible when passes are on sale. I'm honoured to be able to get a press pass for PAX Prime after missing out on the regular passes (I literally checked 1 hour after the weekend ones sold out like hot cakes), but I want to maximize my chances of being able to attend the event.

"Perception is reality." -unknown
  • Options
    RymRym Producer, GeekNights Registered User regular
    I'm bringing more cameras next year for more camera angles when recording panels. More cameras means more iron.

I am, however, bringing fewer actual games! I'll take advantage of the tragedy of the commons and let my friends bring the bulk of them for a change!

This discussion has been closed.