As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the good old GOG.com thread, go find the new GOG thread.com

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    You guys might want to check out ScummVM for playing old Sierra games; a lot of them are supported and it now features EGA undithering.

• Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    Today's new release is Silver, which, if I recall correctly, is dubbed as 'western FFVII' back in the day.

• Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Hm, played that years ago on the Dreamcast. Seem to remember it being fun and quite atmospheric, if a little basic. Probably not a 'must have' game, I'd say.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I do wonder if that Infogrames company is the very same one that did Alone in the Dark. I looks like it has the same feel.

Edit: I really need to go through and make my own backup of all my purchases. You never know if gog will always be around.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They did.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I do wonder if that Infogrames company is the very same one that did Alone in the Dark. I looks like it has the same feel.

Edit: I really need to go through and make my own backup of all my purchases. You never know if gog will always be around.

Infogrames changed into Atari. Taking the name from its former subsidiary. Which in itself took the nam.....

Well, I don't think we need to spend time making sense out of the Atari trademark's history.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I have fond memories of Silver. Tried to get it working a few months ago but was always something wrong. Hopefully GOG nailed it down, the bugs I had were pretty game breaking.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Infogrames changed into Atari. Taking the name from its former subsidiary. Which in itself took the nam.....

Well, I don't think we need to spend time making sense out of the Atari trademark's history.

I believe Sutter Cane was the lawyer in all dealings with it.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    New release time!

Far Cry 2: Fortune's Edition, minus DRM, of course, for 9.99.

And something called Torin's Passage for 5.99

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Holy crap Torin's Passage...!

Glal on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Torin's Passage is one of the few games I skipped in my youth that I later regretted. Will definitely be picking that up.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    They've also got their latest foray into Indiedom up for preorder called Resonance. Like the others it is coming to Steam if that's your bag.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    Holy crap Torin's Passage...!

Related: I asked Replay Games if they plan to bring back Torin's Passage or Freddy Pharkas too. Sadly there seem to be no plans to do so for now :(

C2B on
  • Options
    I imagine Torin's Passage would be expensive. So much animation.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    More EA games on sale. Sim City 200, Alpha Centauri, and the Dunegeon Keepers.

I've had my eye on DK2 for awhile, but with all the problems I've been holding off. For 3 bucks maybe I'll take a chance on it.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Populous 1 & 2 are both on sale. I'm leaning toward 2 as it seems more refined, any thoughts?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Populous 1 & 2 are both on sale. I'm leaning toward 2 as it seems more refined, any thoughts?

Apparently the sequel is a lot more refined than the original. I can't speak on the matter since I never played the original, but the sequel is good fun.

Also, everyone should own SMAC.

EDIT: Also, which Dungeon Keeper should I buy? I have fond memories of the original, but is the sequel improved?

Lord_Snot on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Dungeon Keeper 2 is better IMHO.

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Some people apparently have gamebreaking issues running Dungeon Keeper II, though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    So is Alpha Centauri a lot like Civilization?

• Options
    More complex, IMO. I love the Civ series and have yet to successfully breach SMAC because it feels like an information overload.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    The best part of SMAC is the social engineering aspect. Although there are some real game breaking exploits you can use to mercilessly destroy the AI.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I took a chance on DK2 and it seems to be working fine. I just finished the first mission and exited the game with no problems. The cursor lags a little bit on the main menu, but that's it. So if you've been on the fence when it comes to the problems it has, it's worth a shot. It works for me. I'm on windows 7 with a nvidia card if that helps.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Apparently the sequel is a lot more refined than the original. I can't speak on the matter since I never played the original, but the sequel is good fun.

Also, everyone should own SMAC.

EDIT: Also, which Dungeon Keeper should I buy? I have fond memories of the original, but is the sequel improved?

Both are really good. You won;t go wrong with either.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    So I took a chance on DK2 and it seems to be working fine. I just finished the first mission and exited the game with no problems. The cursor lags a little bit on the main menu, but that's it. So if you've been on the fence when it comes to the problems it has, it's worth a shot. It works for me. I'm on windows 7 with a nvidia card if that helps.

I don't think the main problem was instant CTD's, but game breaking bugs later on. Not sure, though.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh!

Silver! They actually got Silver! I have been trying to track down that goddamn game for months!

*goes out of the thread again squeeing like a schoolgirl*

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I was thinking about picking up Dungeon Keeper but it seems that it's not exactly the best version. Maybe this one is the only one that reliably works on computers of our era?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Freespace related question!

After buying Freespace 1 and 2 nearly 4 years ago in the beta, I think I'm finally in the mood to give 'em a shot. I'm looking over a lot of information about FSOpen, but is that only for FS2? Am I still good in playing vanilla FS1 then moving onto FSO when I've finished it?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    FSOpen can play Freespace 1 as well as 2 with the appropriate packages. The easiest way to get it all running is to use the FSO Installer.

Be aware that if you want to get the MediaVPs (which you do, since they add all those snazzy assets that make the game look almost modern), it's an additional multi-gigabyte download.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    What kind of gamebreaking bugs are we talking about with DK2?

I have the first and it plays just fine. $3 is hard to beat for DK2...But not if it becomes unplayable at some point. :?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Mulletude wrote: »
    What kind of gamebreaking bugs are we talking about with DK2?

I have the first and it plays just fine. $3 is hard to beat for DK2...But not if it becomes unplayable at some point. :?

1 is dos I believe so it should be fine. The 2nd one uses windows which apparently has problems on 7, but I'm on the 3rd mission and haven't had any issues yet.

anoffday on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    FSOpen can play Freespace 1 as well as 2 with the appropriate packages. The easiest way to get it all running is to use the FSO Installer.

Be aware that if you want to get the MediaVPs (which you do, since they add all those snazzy assets that make the game look almost modern), it's an additional multi-gigabyte download.

Thank you kind sir

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    1 is dos I believe so it should be fine. The 2nd one uses windows which apparently has problems on 7, but I'm on the 3rd mission and haven't had any issues yet.

The second has a CTD on opening the objectives screen for me, along with odd graphical bugs kind of regularly. Still worth $3.

• Options
    New release today is Pharaoh+Cleopatra for $9.99. Now only Emperor left from the Impression series.

• Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »
    New release today is Pharaoh+Cleopatra for $9.99. Now only Emperor left from the Impression series.

Cool! I loved these games. Couldn't get into Caesar but I wasted so many hours on Pharaoh. I still have the CDs in really good condition so no need to rebuy them (yet). In fact I'm gonna reinstall them now to celebrate.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    According to the gog.com twitter feed, Carmageddon is coming. Good thing I'm already backing the kickstarter.
    We love Carmageddon! Back their Kickstarter for $25+ and get the original when it launches on @gog.com http://j.mp/MMxE7e

• Options
    Yeah, that news had me raise my pledge to $25 to get the original on GoG.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Big Isy wrote: »
    According to the gog.com twitter feed, Carmageddon is coming. Good thing I'm already backing the kickstarter.
    We love Carmageddon! Back their Kickstarter for $25+ and get the original when it launches on @gog.com http://j.mp/MMxE7e

Yesssss.

edit: coming in the upcoming months? :(

anoffday on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Gog.com have said in their forums that their deadline for finishing Carmageddon bug-testing and adapting (for windows 7 and such stuff) is September. Usually they give themselves 8-8 weeks but in this case they don't have the source code and the game is one of their most highly wanted so they want to get it right. Oh and its got the Splat pack with it too!

• Options
    Summer conference next Wednesday:
    CD Projekt RED Group Summer Conference live (right here! We'll embed it below!) on the 30th May 2012 at 5:00 PM GMT.

We know that he who does not collect in summer, will heat little in winter and because we care for our users, you can prepare yourselves for wonderful harvest after the CD Projekt RED Group Summer Conference next Wednesday at 5:00 PM GMT. It is true that one swallow does not make a summer, that is why first you will hear some earth-shattering news from our friends from CDP RED and around 40 minutes later (that’s around 5.40 GMT!), TheEnigmaticT will tell you about GOG.com’s upcoming plans and release a number of fantastic games live at the show. We know that the summer that yields lots of pumpkins and horseradish doesn't fill the larder, that is why you can expect some old, some classic, and some brand new releases that will definitely heat up the first days of June.

Winter will ask you what you did during the summer, so make sure to tune in next wednesday May 30th at 5:00 PM GMT to watch us during the CD Projekt RED Group Summer Conference in this very newspost. Summer night is not very long but it rocks many cradles. You simply don’t want to miss it.