Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[GOG.com] TORCHLIGHT IS FREE and also a legitimately good game

1679111288

Posts

  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Can anyone sell me on MoO1+2? I've been itching for a space 4X game recently, been watching SotS2 (and just the past few days, Endless Space), but money's a bit tight at the moment, so a $6 purchase from GOG is a much easier pill to swallow. I've always heard excellent things about MoO1+2, of course, but I'm curious how easy they are to get into. I'm not exactly a 4X veteran (though I definitely enjoy the genre), and I haven't played many of the old classics. So how does MoO1+2 stand up today? And what about it is so fantastic, anyway?

    Moo2 (never played 1) is just the total package. It remains my favorite space 4X game to this day. The research, the ship design, the colony management, everything is there, relatively balanced and easy to get into.

    sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    And it has the best acronym ever: MoO 2: BaA

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So Empire Earth is pretty good, right? I remember as a kid playing a game similiar only it was on the moon. Is that a sequel or completely different?

    anoffday on
    steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    captaink wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Can anyone sell me on MoO1+2? I've been itching for a space 4X game recently, been watching SotS2 (and just the past few days, Endless Space), but money's a bit tight at the moment, so a $6 purchase from GOG is a much easier pill to swallow. I've always heard excellent things about MoO1+2, of course, but I'm curious how easy they are to get into. I'm not exactly a 4X veteran (though I definitely enjoy the genre), and I haven't played many of the old classics. So how does MoO1+2 stand up today? And what about it is so fantastic, anyway?

    Moo2 (never played 1) is just the total package. It remains my favorite space 4X game to this day. The research, the ship design, the colony management, everything is there, relatively balanced and easy to get into.

    Seconding this.

    I've had MoO 2 since October of last year, but just installed it yesterday. I was blown away. It very much lives up to the hype.

    A few bits are clunky, but most of it is very smooth and easy to understand.

    Some of the fantastic things are 'leaders' who you can recruit and rescue. Each leader has unique stats - for example, an agricultural leader gives +X% to growing food in their solar system - and they gain levels (the bonus gets bigger). Other cool things include the presentation - it's very easy to build a custom race, for example, though it's not made terribly clear how difficult a time you'll have of it. Each star system is governed by a star of varied age - red giants have fewer planets, and those are less likely to support large populations, they tend to be dangerous environments, and so on.

    I'm sure I'm just getting the short end of the RNG, but I keep starting in a red giant star system with my nearest neighbor 7 parsecs away. Seems to take a while to research the proper engines and fuel cells to get out even that far. Usually by the time I have a neighboring star settled, I get a message saying that one of my rivals has 8 systems and is still expanding.

    My only real complaint is that the galaxy map doesn't represent distances visually. Two stars might appear equidistant, but one might be 12 parsecs and the other 2.

    What I'm saying is, buy this game.

    Tamin on
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    I've not played MoO2 much, but I played plenty of the original and what I saw of the sequel as played by a friend, it's very much an upgrade on the original. As such, highly recommended, the game is surprisingly easy to pick up. Spoken as someone who never got into Alpha Centauri because there's just so much information to take in (as cool as said information is,...), even as a kid I picked up on MoO without many problems.

  • Nova_CNova_C Sniff Sniff Snorf Beyond The WallRegistered User regular
    MoO2 is pretty much the greatest 4x game ever made. No other game has me sitting for 8 - 10 hours straight playing an entire game in one sitting.

    Someone should make a clone that has updated graphics but the exact same gameplay.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    MoO2 is pretty much the greatest 4x game ever made. No other game has me sitting for 8 - 10 hours straight playing an entire game in one sitting.
    Relatedly, I watched a friend play a game all the way through.

  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Yeah, you guys are definitely making it harder for me to resist picking it up. I really shouldn't.... but it's only $6! GOG makes it way too easy to impulse buy stuff.

  • KetarKetar Duke of Weaseltown Like an agile peacock!Registered User regular
    There's no reason to resist picking MoO2 up when you can get it, along with MoO, for $6. It truly is the best 4X game ever made. Also one of my top 5 games of all time, across all platforms. The gameplay is top notch. The mechanics are excellent. The music is great. The graphics hold up reasonably well at this point too, though they would be the weakest link nowadays. Mastering the included races can be challenging given how different they are, and once you have nailed them all the custom race generation gives you a ton of further options to make it as easy or difficult on yourself as you wish.

    It's a truly superb game, that I cannot recommend strongly enough.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    In short, it's the X-Com of 4X games. Higher praise I cannot give.

  • Slacker1913Slacker1913 Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    I'm sure I'm just getting the short end of the RNG, but I keep starting in a red giant star system with my nearest neighbor 7 parsecs away. Seems to take a while to research the proper engines and fuel cells to get out even that far. Usually by the time I have a neighboring star settled, I get a message saying that one of my rivals has 8 systems and is still expanding.
    Ugh. That usually means you have Silicoids in your game. Enjoy getting those roaches out of your system.

  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    In short, it's the X-Com of 4X games. Higher praise I cannot give.

    I think MoO 2 is better than X-Com. X-Com is fun and all, but it has some pretty horrible shit in there. Pretty much on every level, from the interface to the gameplay. MoO 2 on the other hand is an example of quality. The AI, the interface, the mechanics, it all shines from a high level of polish in MoO 2.

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Yeah, MoO2 aged better, to be sure. Firaxis should make the next MoO game after they're done with X-Com.

  • ZxerolZxerol The fullest, most luscious beard. Registered User regular
    That'd be nice and all, but like with the continual talk of an Alpha Centauri sequel, it's wishing they'd make a game for an IP they don't have access to. (The spiritual successor route aside.)

  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    All right, you lot convinced me. MoO1+2 now mine. I'm thinking of starting with MoO2. Anyone have any good newbie advice? I've been watching a let's play over the past day or so, and the guy playing it went with a creative race, but I'm kind of thinking I don't want to do that for my first playthrough. The telepathic race looked like a lot of fun to me, though I'll probably customize it. Anything I should watch out for? Must-have techs?

  • KamiKami Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    All right, you lot convinced me. MoO1+2 now mine. I'm thinking of starting with MoO2. Anyone have any good newbie advice? I've been watching a let's play over the past day or so, and the guy playing it went with a creative race, but I'm kind of thinking I don't want to do that for my first playthrough. The telepathic race looked like a lot of fun to me, though I'll probably customize it. Anything I should watch out for? Must-have techs?

    I'm interested in this, too. I've had MoO1+2 since they came out on GoG, yet I've never played them. I played SoaSE, and I know there's some fundamental differences, but everytime I've tried playing a 4x game lately (GalCiv2, MoO, even Civ V), it's been intimidating to say the least.

    steam_sig.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    My only real complaint is that the galaxy map doesn't represent distances visually. Two stars might appear equidistant, but one might be 12 parsecs and the other 2.

    What I'm saying is, buy this game.

    Yes it does. But those nebulae? On the map? Those aren't there for show. Those will slow you down considerably.


    But yes everyone should buy that game.

    UA1OmVB.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That'd be nice and all, but like with the continual talk of an Alpha Centauri sequel, it's wishing they'd make a game for an IP they don't have access to. (The spiritual successor route aside.)

    What? There's talk of an AC sequel?

    steam_sig.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That'd be nice and all, but like with the continual talk of an Alpha Centauri sequel, it's wishing they'd make a game for an IP they don't have access to. (The spiritual successor route aside.)

    What? There's talk of an AC sequel?
    I don't think you parsed that sentence correctly. There is "talk" of a sequel in the same way there's "talk" about anything people talk about.

  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    My only real complaint is that the galaxy map doesn't represent distances visually. Two stars might appear equidistant, but one might be 12 parsecs and the other 2.

    What I'm saying is, buy this game.

    Yes it does. But those nebulae? On the map? Those aren't there for show. Those will slow you down considerably.


    But yes everyone should buy that game.

    I double-checked, because I am the novice here, but
    er3uc.jpg
    and
    9IaRu.jpg

    Those look about equal, and my intuition is they should be the same. What's probably happening is that, during the calculation, the 6 ended up just a smidge under 6.5 and the 7 is a smidge over, and rounding took over - mechanically, not visually.

    The complaint is the most minor of nitpicks; I'm not saying it's super bad, but that it's not as accurate as it may be could be.

    (also, can you guess which government type I picked? :) )

    Tamin on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    That's not 12->2. That's 7-6.

    Point still stands. :P

    UA1OmVB.png
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    As someone entirely new to the Thief series, where should I start? Are all 3 games worth playing?

  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    Yes. All three are amazing. The third is the worst, but it's still good. Start at #1, then once you've beat that, I think you can probably figure out where to head next.

  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    No, Thi4f!...I hope to God someone changes that before launch.

    "For no one - no one in this world can you trust. Not men. Not women. Not beasts...this you can trust."
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    No, Thi4f!...I hope to God someone changes that before launch.

    They said it wouldn't be the real title essentially at the same time they announced the game.

    Spoiler:
    face | zune | last.fm | steam
  • DarmakDarmak Godking of the Snerkywizards Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    The... second?
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

    PIZTDhW.jpg
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Today's release is....Alan Wake? And it's $15 off for the first week, too.

    Catshade on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »
    Today's release is....Alan Wake? And it's $15 off for the first week, too.

    I just saw on their facebook. That's crazy. I have it for 360 but I may have to go ahead and pick it up, at this point, for PC. Ease of use with aiming and all.

    camo_sig2.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    That's a pretty impressive move. Most of their "new" games they've launched have all seemed to be DRM free games of things that have already had widely available DRM free versions (either in Humble or the dev's own site) so snagging a game like Alan Wake and also putting it on for a good sale price definetly renews my faith in their desire to move into the new game arena a bit more.

    steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Zxerol wrote: »
    That'd be nice and all, but like with the continual talk of an Alpha Centauri sequel, it's wishing they'd make a game for an IP they don't have access to. (The spiritual successor route aside.)

    What? There's talk of an AC sequel?

    EA registered a bunch of Alpha Centauri trademarks last August.

    If they actually do one, hopefully they can pry Brian Reynolds away from Zygna. Otherwise, I have very little faith in the effort.

  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    That's a pretty impressive move. Most of their "new" games they've launched have all seemed to be DRM free games of things that have already had widely available DRM free versions (either in Humble or the dev's own site) so snagging a game like Alan Wake and also putting it on for a good sale price definetly renews my faith in their desire to move into the new game arena a bit more.

    This never would have happened if Remedy hadn't gotten the rights back from Microsoft. (Alan Wake is self-published on PC.)

    camo_sig.png
  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Take note that the soundtrack isn't available on the GoG edition, only on the Collector's Edition extras on Steam.

    steam_sig.png
  • Big ClassyBig Classy KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    Corpekata wrote: »
    That's a pretty impressive move. Most of their "new" games they've launched have all seemed to be DRM free games of things that have already had widely available DRM free versions (either in Humble or the dev's own site) so snagging a game like Alan Wake and also putting it on for a good sale price definetly renews my faith in their desire to move into the new game arena a bit more.

    This never would have happened if Remedy hadn't gotten the rights back from Microsoft. (Alan Wake is self-published on PC.)

    Yup, plus remedy put a lot of work into the PC build, it looks amazing and it is definitely one of the better 'ports' out there. I doubt the same level of love would have been put in had Microsoft retained the rights and decided to bring it to PC.

    camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    But on the other hand, it doesn't benefit from GFWL, so it's a wash.

    camo_sig2.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    But on the other hand, it doesn't benefit from GFWL, so it's a wash.

    Wait, does the GoG version of Alan Wake actually use GFWL? Doesn't that go contrary to their No-DRM policy? And didn't Remedy explicitly shy away from GFWL?

    TetraNitroCubane on
    qwlru.png
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    But on the other hand, it doesn't benefit from GFWL, so it's a wash.

    Wait, does the GoG version of Alan Wake actually use GFWL? Doesn't that go contrary to their No-DRM policy?

    No, but it would if Microsoft had gotten their hands on it.

    camo_sig2.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane Registered User regular
    But on the other hand, it doesn't benefit from GFWL, so it's a wash.

    Wait, does the GoG version of Alan Wake actually use GFWL? Doesn't that go contrary to their No-DRM policy?

    No, but it would if Microsoft had gotten their hands on it.

    Ah, a distinct whoosh moment on my part. Apologies.

    qwlru.png
Sign In or Register to comment.