As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the good old GOG.com thread, go find the new GOG thread.com

• Options
    NanaNana Fuzzy Little Yeti Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Constructor? I bought it when it came out in 97, but it would constantly bug out and crash.
    I never managed to get past the tutorial, but it looked like a lot of fun.

I'm tempted to buy Caesar III, soo fun and I'm pretty sure I never finished it.

I never played Theme Hospital, I'll have to pick it up since everyone is raving about it.

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8688-4581
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Whats the general opinion on Lionheart?

Total ass.

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Let's talk about something better. Like Ultima VII. Which I just bought from GoG. I want to play it but it won't even start. I run windows 7, any ideas on how to get ot to work?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Try running as administrator. If that doesn't work apparently this can get it to run.

http://exult.sourceforge.net/

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Exult is pretty awesome. I recommend it. The base game engine is kinda hard to use nowadays.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. I can vouche for Exult from experience. It works great for win 7

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Saw this in their forums: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=435

Basically, more 3dfx support as they have partened with Zeus Software (nglide). Thread here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_zeus_software_nglide_partnership_announced/page1

Here is Nglid's compatability list that may give a clue as to what we'll see in the future: http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

Redguard Redguard Redguard! Seriously. They're like our last hope for ever playing that Elder Scrolls game.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Even when I had a Glide card Redguard had all kinds of issues that I could never get resolved.

• Options
    KisidanKisidan Registered User regular
    Nana wrote: »
    Has anyone played Constructor? I bought it when it came out in 97, but it would constantly bug out and crash.
    I never managed to get past the tutorial, but it looked like a lot of fun.

I'm tempted to buy Caesar III, soo fun and I'm pretty sure I never finished it.

I never played Theme Hospital, I'll have to pick it up since everyone is raving about it.

Constructor was a childhood favorite of mine. Tons of fun, though the AI wasn't terribly challenging even when I was 12. I have no idea how well it holds up these days, but it was pretty awesome way back when.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Ultima VII's one of those games I fell liked I lived in it. I was a dweller of Britannia for a while. Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 are another case.

It's just so fucking great. And you could just walk (or fly) around seeing things and doing stuff and talking to people.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Saw this in their forums: http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=435

Basically, more 3dfx support as they have partened with Zeus Software (nglide). Thread here: http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/gog_zeus_software_nglide_partnership_announced/page1

Here is Nglid's compatability list that may give a clue as to what we'll see in the future: http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

Redguard Redguard Redguard! Seriously. They're like our last hope for ever playing that Elder Scrolls game.

Yes, Redguard was awesome. Would love to be able to play it again (though I guess I could try the glide wrapper myself). I never did finish it.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Well, I caved and picked up a couple of things. Theme Hospital, Castles 1-2 and Freespace 2. Now I just need to get a new joystick.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »

Yes, Redguard was awesome. Would love to be able to play it again (though I guess I could try the glide wrapper myself). I never did finish it.

I tried to play it very hard (and unsuccessfully) about eight years ago. The glide wrapper I used sorta worked, but it was really buggy and enormously slow. Today's machines could probably do it. But man, there ain't no copy protection like DOS-based games that require obsolete graphics hardware.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    New Bullfrog game releasing in a few hours via their twitter. They posted on the forums they were releasing a game from 1998 as well as having 2000+ wishlist recordings, and presuming they aren't being cheeky and talking about two different games, it should end up being Populous: The beginning.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Sweet, loved that game. <3

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I always heard it was a great game but have no clue what it is

• Options
    It's a god game. If you've played From Dust, it's heavily inspired by it.

• Options
    I rented Populous on the NES once, but had no idea what I was doing. I should give the real game a go.

• Options
    HewnHewn Registered User regular
    I rented Populous on the NES once, but had no idea what I was doing. I should give the real game a go.

Ha, I did the exact same thing. Mario it was not.

Steam: hewn
    Warframe: TheBaconDwarf
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am curious as to how GOG got Time Commando to work. I have been trying to get the game running on Dosbox on Windows 7 and it can't find the cd even though it is mounted.

• Options
    Did you mount it as a CD drive? The DOSbox has a special mount option for them.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Did you set the mount type as cdrom?

e.g.
    mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

Although it'd probably be better just to rip an image and use imgmount instead.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    New Bullfrog game releasing in a few hours via their twitter. They posted on the forums they were releasing a game from 1998 as well as having 2000+ wishlist recordings, and presuming they aren't being cheeky and talking about two different games, it should end up being Populous: The beginning.

Awesome, I love that game, even prefer it to the original Populous.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Did you set the mount type as cdrom?

e.g.
    mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

Although it'd probably be better just to rip an image and use imgmount instead.

Yes. I mounted the cd drive that way and mounted the image. Still, the problem comes up. Other games with cd mounts work so there is something specific to Time Commando going on there.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Bullfrog games are the best things.

Seeing Populous released though makes me want Black and White.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Bullfrog games are the best things.

Seeing Populous released though makes me want Black and White.

Yeah, I was thinking the same. The original Black and White was great, I loved the belief system, the way that you could make people believe in you by being a wrathful god or a kind god. It was really rather good, especially if the population started to not believe and you gave them a lightning bolt for their troubles. :P

Black and White 2 wasn't as good, in my opinion.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I liked the creature AI in the original better, but found the gameplay more a chore than anything else. And in the sequel, the creature was just a programmable minion, but the actual game played fine. Would love to have seen BW3 that was both a great toy and a great game at the same time, but alas.

Glal on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Man, I haven't thought about the B&W games in years. All I can really remember about them was choosing an animal, being nice or mean to it, and having setting it loose on your followers. I do remember it not exactly being what I expected. Then again '99-'04 was basically a non-stop Counter-Strike fest for me, so it easy to see how I could've missed good games.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    B&W 1 (I never played 2) was more interesting and unique than actually good.

The new game is Populous, btw:
    http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/populous_the_beginning

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    Man, I haven't thought about the B&W games in years. All I can really remember about them was choosing an animal, being nice or mean to it, and having setting it loose on your followers. I do remember it not exactly being what I expected. Then again '99-'04 was basically a non-stop Counter-Strike fest for me, so it easy to see how I could've missed good games.

214607857_pYinr-XL-2.jpg

I played B&W for about an hour. Just didn't get it, I guess.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Black and White was an awesome tech demo.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they add in Magic Carpet 2 soon. Damn good game that. Really fleshes out #1 and has a crazy amount of levels.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Black and White was an awesome tech demo.

It was the game that started this as a perpetual Molyneux trend.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I stopped playing Black and White on the level that starts out with fire raining out of the sky and my villagers were dying and my creature was also setting my buildings on fire because I had taught him both fireball and that it was good to put out fires.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I loved the concept of B&W, and had a ton of fun with the animal, but besides that I didn't really enjoy the game that was underneath it all.

• Options
    august wrote: »
    I stopped playing Black and White on the level that starts out with fire raining out of the sky and my villagers were dying and my creature was also setting my buildings on fire because I had taught him both fireball and that it was good to put out fires.
    It sounds like you created something magical and the pedestrian level design could not handle the awesomeness you had wrought.

• Options
    What was the tech behind the creatures and creature training anyway? The usual FSMs? FSMs + Neural Networks? Support Vector Machines?

• Options
    No doubt reinforcement learning of some sort--TD learning? Q-Learning? I wonder...

• Options
    There are some awesome stories floating out there about the AI. Like the creature that threw a rock into a corner of some terrain polygons, causing the physics to glitch out and fling it away at high speed. It then proceeded to abuse this trick to instagib things.

• Options
    I haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but that Witcher 2 backup deal is up. Witcher 1 is also on sale for 5 bucks.