As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the good old GOG.com thread, go find the new GOG thread.com

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have SpaceChem on steam and I've tried to get into it multiple times, but I always give up. I don't think I'm stupid, but that game kinda makes me feel that way.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Well, it is, for all intents and purposes, multithreaded programming with very limited resource constraints. One thing it isn't is easy. Hopefully the challenge is fun, because you will be challenged...

There are only a handful of people I know who (relatively) blew through it, and all of 'em are extremely bright individuals. One of them reverse-engineered a game file format the broke the encryption on parts of it; another reads books on non-deterministic algorithms to deal with bad actors inserting data for fun. So don't feel stupid, 'cuz that game will break the average person's mind as part of playing it.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Well, it is, for all intents and purposes, multithreaded programming with very limited resource constraints. One thing it isn't is easy. Hopefully the challenge is fun, because you will be challenged...

There are only a handful of people I know who (relatively) blew through it, and all of 'em are extremely bright individuals. One of them reverse-engineered a game file format the broke the encryption on parts of it; another reads books on non-deterministic algorithms to deal with bad actors inserting data for fun. So don't feel stupid, 'cuz that game will break the average person's mind as part of playing it.

In other words, it hurts you because it loves you. :rotate:

• Options
    THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    On Twitter, this morning:
    @GOGcom: Feast upon the blood of man tomorrow on @gogcom!

Intriguing. Dare I hope for Soul Reaver?

I've wanted a digital PC version of Soul Reaver for so long.

if it isn't Soul Reaver I'm gonna sulk. A lot. You have been warned gog.com

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm def. not a programmer. I guess I'm just glad I got it in a bundle and didn't pay 10 bucks for it.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    AnakinOU wrote: »
    On Twitter, this morning:
    @GOGcom: Feast upon the blood of man tomorrow on @gogcom!

Intriguing. Dare I hope for Soul Reaver?

I've wanted a digital PC version of Soul Reaver for so long.

if it isn't Soul Reaver I'm gonna sulk. A lot. You have been warned gog.com

I'm hoping that this is one of the first GoG-jobs that comes out of their new relationship with those Glide Wrapper fellas.

Maybe that can help with Gorky 13 too.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    Oh man Soul Reaver. The first game I fell in love with from a lore perspective AND also loved the gameplay. I will <3 GoG hard if they make them available!

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    According to the GOG trend of disappointing announcements I am predicting BloodRayne: Betrayal or something.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote: »
    Oh man Soul Reaver. The first game I fell in love with from a lore perspective AND also loved the gameplay. I will <3 GoG hard if they make them available!
    I think the guy doing Raziel could narrate anything and have me sit and listen. Because dat voice.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Basically, the kind of people who could breeze through SpaceChem are the kind of folks who would go into total brain-lock if you asked them "how do you feel?"

I've beaten most of SpaceChem and know I could beat the game without cheating, but I generally don't have the time to sit down and spend a couple hours engineering a solution. And if I come back later and I haven't finished the problem for something big and complex, I'll end up having to rebuild from scratch because I won't remember where I left off and what needs fixing.

Remarkably fun for being so ball-bustingly hard, though.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    If it's Soul Reaver, I'm gonna buy it today, because God damn, I love that game.

I probably will if it's Blood Omen too, to be fair.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    According to the GOG trend of disappointing announcements I am predicting BloodRayne: Betrayal or something.

I pay no attention to their damn announcements anymore. They're horrible. I just randomly check gog and see what's going on. It's much better this way.

anoffday on
  • Options
    Dammit thats probably it too :(

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Huh, so it was Soul Reaver after all! $5.99.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    Huh, so it was Soul Reaver after all! $5.99.

Aw fook yes.

That's an insta-buy.

• Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    Huh. I figured it'd be Blood Omen first. Between the two I think I'd prefer BO as the PS1 version I have (and emulate to run on my computer) tends to have...issues. Oh well. I'm sure it'll come in due time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Last I tried* the PC version of BO just had to be run in compatibility mode to function. Soul Reaver, that one hasn't worked in 10 years, GoG must've employed magicians.

*admittedly before Win7

Glal on
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna take the plunge. I'll report back if I have any issues.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Know what game GOG should work their magic on next?

The PC version of Metal Gear Solid. I desperately want to play that game again, but finding a copy is near impossible, and I doubt it'd run anyway.

• Options
    So what kind of game is Soul Reaver?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

I'd actually categorize it as Zelda-lite with a dark story involving vampires. It had awesome voice acting.

And block puzzles. So many block puzzles. Push this block here. Push this block there. Flip it over on this side, then this side, then move it over there.

• Options
    Oh
    My
    God

• Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    3rd person action platformer with some puzzle elements. Since you're undead you can't really die, you just lose your body and pass to the spirit realm, which is a twisted version of the world- switching between the two is a common puzzle, both because the spirit realm has no water (which is deadly to your body) and because the level geometry there is twisted, allowing you to reach areas not accessible on the mortal plane.

Think time travel in Link to the Past.

• Options
    An action-adventure game not unlike a Zelda game. Basically, you go around solving puzzles to get to bosses, then collecting new abilities from those bosses (and a few other pickups along the way). I highly, highly recommend the whole Legacy of Kain series. Great gameplay and story and it's the first series of games that I've thought had excellent voice acting. If you wanted to jump into the series now Soul Reaver's probably the best place to start as Soul Reaver 2 and Defiance are direct sequels, Blood Omen is a little rough around the edges, and Blood Omen 2 is...mediocre and could be skipped entirely.

First impressions on the GOG release:
    1. It immediately tries to get admin privileges on launch. I don't know if that's really required but I don't see a way to avoid it. Not a big deal for me but something to note.
    2. It launches and plays OK. I saw a wee bit of tearing here and there, but it's nothing major (so far) and for all I know is how the PC version has always been. Certainly I've see somewhat similar graphical hiccups on the PS1 version.
    3. It works with my wired 360 controller, but it won't recognize all the buttons (namely the d-pad, "bumper" shoulder buttons, and right analog stick). Also, the left analog stick is way too sensitive: Raziel won't stay put even if I have the stick in the center "resting" position. Makes platforming hard, but it is kinda funny to see Raziel walk around in anything but a straight line. Guess the abyss left him a little drunk... More importantly, I didn't see a way to adjust sensitivity in game and I'm disinclined to adjust it from Wnidows since nothing else has had any issues like this. I might try xpadder or joy2key to get a better configuration or something. If I do I'll post a config file or something for others.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Glal wrote: »
    Think time travel in Link to the Past.

So... Ocarina of Time?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Except with less boring combat, albeit still repetitive.

• Options
    As a biotic, I approve of people reaving everything in sight.

Wait, wrong game...

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

I'd love the PC version of Grandia 2. I doubt it'll ever happen, and I hear it was buggy as all get out, but I sure played the hell out of it on my Dreamcast.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »

I'd love the PC version of Grandia 2. I doubt it'll ever happen, and I hear it was buggy as all get out, but I sure played the hell out of it on my Dreamcast.

I'm putting my vote in for Carmageddon, Worms Armageddon or World Party (Seriously someone, anyone. We have all these shitty Worms games Team17 keeps putting out. And now we even have the original Worms on gog. Just give us one of the good ones damnit...sorry.) and Jazz Jackrabbit.

Also, Soul Reaver sounds neat. I'm still working on Anachronox though, as well as countless other games in my gog and steam library.

anoffday on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've always wanted to give Skies of Arcadia a go too. Really, I'd just love to see classic RPGs from the PS1/Dreamcast in general pop up on GOG, they're not going to make their IP owners any money being bought used on ebay.

(Of course, most of the ones we want to play are probably plagued with nightmare contract issues with old voice actors and the like. Bah.)

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Darlan wrote: »
    I've always wanted to give Skies of Arcadia a go too. Really, I'd just love to see classic RPGs from the PS1/Dreamcast in general pop up on GOG in general, they're not going to make their IP owners any money being bought used on ebay.

(Of course, most of the ones we want to play are probably plagued with nightmare contract issues with old voice actors and the like. Bah.)

That's what I've never understood about classic games that cannot be bought anywhere. They're doing nothing for the people who own them. Seriously, just put them up somewhere and even if it only makes 1 dollar then you're making a profit. Because no one is asking for a marketing campaign for the game, or for it re-printed, or for a remake or anything. We just want to freaking download them. I don't get it.

anoffday on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    If nothing else, I hope these last few years of old games being surprisingly popular on digital distribution channels has taught publishers to include consideration for future re-releases into the initial contracts.

• Options
    Is it gonna make them millions? No? Not worth the effort. It's not about making a profit, it's about the volume and they don't give a crap about peanuts.

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular

The PC version of Metal Gear Solid. I desperately want to play that game again, but finding a copy is near impossible, and I doubt it'd run anyway.

I think I actually still have the discs around somewhere.

Funny thing, the thing that sticks in my mind about it is it's one of the few PC games I've ever seen with a themed, custom installer. Most of the games from that era all just used the default installwise stuff.

This was back when MS didn't hate PC Gamers quite so much. :(

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Also Myst V came out if nobody else noticed.

• Options
    I actually have the PSone versions of Soul Reaver and Carmageddon. Ofcourse, I'd forgotten about them 'til just after I'd bought Soul Reaver. Oh well.

Also, I'm a bit miffed the pad doesn't work well with Soul Reaver. Its not a huge deal since I can just play the game on the PS3 but still.

• Options
    I've about got a joy2key config ready. Still not perfect, but it's certainly an improvement. I'm gonna fire up my PS1 copy to make sure I have the buttons matching as closely as possible first before posting it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Is it weird that I remember the button layout?

• Options
    Not at all. In fact, help me out. Did L1 crouch and R1 lock on or is that backwards?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]