As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    So far I've beaten it with a Demon Hunter and a Monk. I want to like the DH because it has everything I like in a class, but the monk chewed through the bad guys like it was a cakewalk. And since he got a rare 2-handed sword for beating the skeleton king, I'm doing my third run with the Barbarian.

Witch Doctor is the only class I haven't tried yet. I found the wizard a little weak early on.

I probably won't be getting this at launch. I'm going to get a new PC in June or July and will probably get it then, thereby avoiding any major launch problems and not having to run it on lower settings.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I only tried the Demon Hunter in the beta and I don't think I'll need to try any other classes. That's the one I'll be playing right away. The ricochet arrows were awesome, and I loved leaping about setting down traps.

But dammit, I didn't know I could dual wield crossbows! I played the whole beta with just one. D:

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Monk will be first up for me, I've decided.

Yeah same here. Self heal? Teleport punches? HAMMER OF THE GODS?! Yes please.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Two accounts, one router.

One account signed in, playing, all is fine, for either.

Both accounts signed in, cannot start games with each other, cannot browse internet(!). Have to power-cycle router to get internet working again after D3 is closed on both PCs.

Solutions? Google wasn't helpful.

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    Update your firmware?

Routers can be temperamental things.

World's best janitor
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    Squabman wrote: »
    Witchdoctor is the most overpowered class in the beta, by far. Once you use the intel buff skill and get around 100 DPS, everything dies instantly. 5 stacks of the intel buff + a few intel/damage items and a 2 handed 20 dps crafted flamberge and everything else falls down. Firebats do crazy damage although I still prefer grasp of the dead because it has such a long range that you can engage monsters off screen or over long distances, which may come in handy later. Skeleton king dies in seconds.

I still love my monk though. Put a bunch of IAS gear on him and throw 2 single handed weapons and it is a goddamned speed machine.

I just did a playthrough of Witch Doctor

MILLIONS OF JARS OF SPIDERS

Love that class.

So I assume the weapons you equip modify the damage of the jars of spiders / darts? It's a bit of a weird system where the witch doctor's concerned.

YES. Spider + Mongrels + Snare = Enemies getting eaten alive by millions of spiders and three zombie dogs while I don't get scratched.

• zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    Pro tip: Everyone gets their own loot, so don't be polite and leave stuff laying around for other people to use. They can't see your stuff, so pick up everything you want that drops.

I've beat it with 4/5 classes so far, but haven't taken the characters past level 10. I'm liking all the classes to some degree, but I suspect I'll probably be playing wizard at launch. Barbarian was awesome, but I prefer having more range power. DH is also awesome, but it seems less awesome than both WD and wizard. WD was fun, but I'm not in love with minions at this point. Having all the spiders and zombie dogs was cool, but I think wizarding might be where it's at for me.

Probably not even going to bother with the monk at this point, as that will leave something fresh for me later and I'm pretty sure I want to start with a ranged class.

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The design in these early levels is really fantastic. Aside from the barbarian, who starts out feeling amazing and pretty much stays that way, I found that right about the time I was hitting the Skeleton King with each class I reached a point of badassery that really made things click. Just enough skills to customize a bit and start wreaking havoc in a variety of ways. No class was really boring early on, but the progression of power is just really well timed to hit a sweet spot right before that first real boss.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    The cold blood rune says it reduces the arcane cost of Ray of Frost to 0.

That seems like it would be really, really powerful with some fast attack speed weapons

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I honestly love how everyone has completely different class preferences. IT goes to show how well Blizzard made their job.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    maxed my monk

not sure if I'm gonna put the time in to try the other classes, may just watch some videos to help decide what I'm gonna play at launch. as of now most likely just the monk, I certainly enjoyed it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I totally just ordered The Book of Cain. I already had the CE pre-ordered and didn't think I could get any more hyped. I was wrong, beta seriously sunk its teeth into me.

• SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote: »
    I will never understand all this hand-wringing over being able to switch skills in combat. It is in absolute terms the most mind-bogglingly trivial thing that has spawned and continues to spawn pages of bizarre concern. You know what the best thing ever is? Levelling up, trying a new skill, and then if it sucks switching back and not having to waste 3-5 minutes of my life going back to town and giving some npc a blowjob for a respec. You know what will be hilarious? People so terrible at the game that they actually try to min/max their skill load-out for each area instead of just using what's comfortable for them. You know what the saddest thing is? All the people who have posted in this thread about it who will not exercise any sort of self-control and self-moderate themselves so they don't just reskill all nimbly-pimbly and will instead ramble and rage at Blizzard until they reintroduce some dumbshit mechanic like the shrines of nephelim (worst patch in the entire beta that I experienced, hands down).

Just play the fucking game (or don't!). If you think on the fly skill-switching is dumb then don't fucking do it. It is exactly that simple. If you play with some nerd who insists on changing for each new area, laugh at them as you clear half of any given level before they finally decide on what constitutes the perfect set up. And don't worry about not being a unique snowflake just because there is no permanence, I guarantee you that most people will just look up what's good and copy it endlessly anyway so you can still make the equivalent of your ridiculous yell barbs and enchant sorceress' and teeth necros and be roughly as unique as the other thousands of people who did the exact same un-omptimal crap.

Too much pointless bitching about systems in this thread, not enough joy over punching a zombie so hard it's entire skeleton flies out of it's neck 30 feet through the air to land into a nearby well or the fact that you can throw jars of god damn spiders at things.

There has to be some reward or punishment for choosing the skills you choose and when you choose them. If you can do a high end inferno encounter and use any skill you want for a certain part of a boss fight, and then switch to a different skill when he spawns a legion of minions and then switch right back then you trivialize every encounter that blizzard says they put a lot of time into making an actual epic encounter.

I don't care if people can change skills while doing regular pve at a regular pace, but you should NOT be able to access every skill during a long encounter - that is just ridiculous. The game has a million skills, access to that many skills during one encounter trivializes it completely and has no positive or negative choice to what skills you choose.

Also, people "so terrible" at the game that they try to min/max their skill load-out for each area are the people who will beat inferno first. Don't be a carebear and get angry because there are better players out there.

lagbagg.png
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I honestly love how everyone has completely different class preferences. IT goes to show how well Blizzard made their job.

Yeah, I actually found the much-loved Barbarian really awkward despite how well they did with the animations! :^:

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I agree with Squab. I actually really like the new skill system but I totally wish you had to at least be in town to swap stuff out. Not to mention it just slows the pace of the game down when everyone is constantly typing just a sec and then fucking around with skills.

• onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    corin7 wrote: »
    I agree with Squab. I actually really like the new skill system but I totally wish you had to at least be in town to swap stuff out. Not to mention it just slows the pace of the game down when everyone is constantly typing just a sec and then fucking around with skills.
    feel like this is a problem that will be immensely reduced once everyone actually knows what their skills / rune combinations do, and have pre built selections in their head. plus, if someone wants to adjust their skills, let them. doesn't stop you from moving ahead, especially if they are pubs.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    For those of you who don't know, the 5 second cool down is normal only. It's much longer in the harder difficulties.

steam_sig.png
  • PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    So I downloaded the beta yesterday and played through with a barbarian easy enough. So I decided to make a new character and now I can't start a game at all. Even though it was working fine 20 minutes ago.

Is there a way to fix it? Or just some silly server error that I have to wait out?

steam_sig.png
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular

Forcing people to go back to town when they level up would not speed the game up

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »
    So I downloaded the beta yesterday and played through with a barbarian easy enough. So I decided to make a new character and now I can't start a game at all. Even though it was working fine 20 minutes ago.

Is there a way to fix it? Or just some silly server error that I have to wait out?

Sometimes joining a game works just fine when you can't start a new one.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I didn't realize the monk was such a badass, round house kicking zombies in the face.

Right now I think I'm choosing between witch doctor and demon hunter. I really like ranged units and have always preferred using guns, bows, etc. versus melee weapons or magic.

Do we know what the max level is going to be for characters? Or what is in store for a character when he reaches max? Is it going to be similiar to WoW?

Steam: offday

Probably the latter. I had the same thing happen the other day.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    reVerse wrote: »

Sometimes joining a game works just fine when you can't start a new one.
    Tried that, it's timing out for that too.

onesixty2 wrote: »
    Probably the latter. I had the same thing happen the other day.
    Alrighty, I'll go do something else for awhile. Hopefully it'll sort itself out.

PierceNeck on
    steam_sig.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Do we know anything about this yet?

"Players must pay a flat listing fee per item (though Blizzard is leaning toward giving everyone a small number of free listings per week), and set initial bids and buyout prices."

Are we going to have some free listings each week? Or we do we not know yet?

Steam: offday
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2012

Yeah because it will go much faster when they townportal to fix their skills, then have to come back to continue. Also it is a beta and most people dont know what anything does, so they are spending more time trying everything out than they will come release.

There is nothing wrong with being able to change skills on the field, it just prevents you from being stuck with a bunch of useless shit for the area. Or do you want to be playing with the fire wizard who suddenly encounters a horde of fire immune monsters and can no longer do anything?

Morkath on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I read that you can assign skills however you want. Like, you can put two primary skills in your skill bar, and assign them to 2 and 4 if you feel like it. Is that true? If so, how?

Renzo wrote: »
    I read that you can assign skills however you want. Like, you can put two primary skills in your skill bar, and assign them to 2 and 4 if you feel like it. Is that true? If so, how?

Options, Elective Mode.

You can change the Hotkeys, but the skills are locked to their categories. Afaik.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    You can change the Hotkeys, but the skills are locked to their categories. Afaik.

I think skills in the same category share a cooldown -- so a monk can't Dash and then immediately Heal, even if you have both of those skills keybound.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Options > Gameplay > Elective mode allows you to put any skill in any slot.

To anoffday:

When you hit 60 and beat Hell difficulty you can play through again on Inferno. Inferno is mega super hard. The weakest monsters in Inferno are at least a level above you (61). That's the end game so far. They will also be patching in PVP Arenas a few months after release (for free) so there is that too.

Each week players will be given a few free (number TBA) listings on the $ AH.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    No, you can use whatever combination you want.

Example: you can rock a Monk with all four spirit builders if you want, there's even a passive skill that will boost your damage for every extra spirit builder you use.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    edited April 2012
    Interesting.

Think I've decided on Monk for release. Will be playing with a RL friend who is rolling a barb, so the two of us will smash things into blood messes. I like the utility of warp punch. Did a public game and I just warped behind every large pack and worked my way to the front, or to the ranged monsters in the back. Also love that Monks get an pbaoe heal, rune for a pbaoe damage also.

onesixty2 on
    my desire to get achievements bothers me enough normally, now I'm confronting it knowing they're gonna evaporate in 2 days arghgh

so silly! time would be better spent checking out other classes to see what I like.

Variable wrote: »
    my desire to get achievements bothers me enough normally, now I'm confronting it knowing they're gonna evaporate in 2 days arghgh

so silly! time would be better spent checking out other classes to see what I like.

Well, every class got an achievement for killing the skelly king, and there's a bonus achievement if you do it with them all.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Yeah, I did all the characters, and thought it would be neat to extend the game play by going after the achievements. I was the 20 kill in 1 hit short and they reset. I was very disappointed because I figured they might give a feat of strength or something after the game came out.

steam_sig.png
    yeah I know, that's not gonna happen though.

I mean the little stuff. but really it's just because the game is awesome, it's not a bad thing.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    As an arachnophobe, I don't like playing with witch doctors. Not one bit. Diablo 3 needs an option to replace the spiders with cute bunnies.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    The design in these early levels is really fantastic. Aside from the barbarian, who starts out feeling amazing and pretty much stays that way, I found that right about the time I was hitting the Skeleton King with each class I reached a point of badassery that really made things click. Just enough skills to customize a bit and start wreaking havoc in a variety of ways. No class was really boring early on, but the progression of power is just really well timed to hit a sweet spot right before that first real boss.

I actually died against the skeleton king with my DH. I don't feel like I was doing enough damage to him with either chain gang (to quickly wipe out his minions) or puncturing arrow. Rapid fire could do a bit of damage to him, but I just didn't seem to be able to do nearly the damage I could with my monk.

That could have been the weapon too. The highest damage weapon I've found for my DH is a 11.something light crossbow. And I've found no decent hand crossbows at all. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote: »
    Update your firmware?

Routers can be temperamental things.

Done. No dice. Ugh.

Hope this shit is fixed in retail.

I actually felt like I had a lot of skills, as in I couldn't keep them straight and had trouble making decisions. exactly the problem I'd want to have.

I'm probably gonna end up playing WD in retail as I think about it. I prefer ranged but standard wizards have never really done it for me. WD and monk feel like they fit in the hybrid area that I tend to prefer, so one or the other and eventually both, most like starting with WD

This discussion has been closed.