As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The design in these early levels is really fantastic. Aside from the barbarian, who starts out feeling amazing and pretty much stays that way, I found that right about the time I was hitting the Skeleton King with each class I reached a point of badassery that really made things click. Just enough skills to customize a bit and start wreaking havoc in a variety of ways. No class was really boring early on, but the progression of power is just really well timed to hit a sweet spot right before that first real boss.

I actually died against the skeleton king with my DH. I don't feel like I was doing enough damage to him with either chain gang (to quickly wipe out his minions) or puncturing arrow. Rapid fire could do a bit of damage to him, but I just didn't seem to be able to do nearly the damage I could with my monk.

That could have been the weapon too. The highest damage weapon I've found for my DH is a 11.something light crossbow. And I've found no decent hand crossbows at all. :P

I used Rapid Fire for the dude and Hungering Arrow (Piercing) for the minions, like you. As long as you run away before he whirlwinds, he can't really do more damage than your potions cooldown can handle. I found it harder than Monk but easier than Barb.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    The design in these early levels is really fantastic. Aside from the barbarian, who starts out feeling amazing and pretty much stays that way, I found that right about the time I was hitting the Skeleton King with each class I reached a point of badassery that really made things click. Just enough skills to customize a bit and start wreaking havoc in a variety of ways. No class was really boring early on, but the progression of power is just really well timed to hit a sweet spot right before that first real boss.

I actually died against the skeleton king with my DH. I don't feel like I was doing enough damage to him with either chain gang (to quickly wipe out his minions) or puncturing arrow. Rapid fire could do a bit of damage to him, but I just didn't seem to be able to do nearly the damage I could with my monk.

That could have been the weapon too. The highest damage weapon I've found for my DH is a 11.something light crossbow. And I've found no decent hand crossbows at all. :P

I used Rapid Fire for the dude and Hungering Arrow (Piercing) for the minions, like you. As long as you run away before he whirlwinds, he can't really do more damage than your potions cooldown can handle. I found it harder than Monk but easier than Barb.

He telegraphed when he would charge, so it was easy to avoid his attacks. I used my caltrops to keep the regular foes at bay and my throwing knife to stun and damage him and I made it through that fight fairly easily.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Squabman wrote: »

There has to be some reward or punishment for choosing the skills you choose and when you choose them.

There really doesn't.
    If you can do a high end inferno encounter and use any skill you want for a certain part of a boss fight, and then switch to a different skill when he spawns a legion of minions and then switch right back then you trivialize every encounter that blizzard says they put a lot of time into making an actual epic encounter.

You don't trivialize shit because nobody is going to walk off to a safe corner in the middle of a boss fight, swap their skills around, and then sit through a cooldown. That is around 30 seconds of wasted time and I guarantee you that whatever large swarm of minions you might see in this hypothetical will already have been dealt with.
    I don't care if people can change skills while doing regular pve at a regular pace, but you should NOT be able to access every skill during a long encounter - that is just ridiculous. The game has a million skills, access to that many skills during one encounter trivializes it completely and has no positive or negative choice to what skills you choose.

Stop looking at this through the lense of D2. You aren't going to be doing boss runs until your face turns purple, they have been very clear that this is not what they intend for their high end game to be. Are you really going to run off and alter skills for every single champion/elite you come across? How cripplingly boring for you.
    Also, people "so terrible" at the game that they try to min/max their skill load-out for each area are the people who will beat inferno first. Don't be a carebear and get angry because there are better players out there.

If you have to swap skills literally every time you enter an area with new monsters then you are either basically terrible or blizzard completely borked their balance passes. Immunity mobs I am looking directly at you.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

Also, people "so terrible" at the game that they try to min/max their skill load-out for each area are the people who will beat inferno first. Don't be a carebear and get angry because there are better players out there.
    Nah

The people who focus on a build and gear themselves properly to support that build will be the first.

Also lol irl at "carebear" said unironically.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Already been stated that swapping skills in the field at higher difficulties results in much longer cooldowns as well. It's a feature that is there for convenience, not something you will actually get to put to use mid fight.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    Talith wrote: »
    Already been stated that swapping skills in the field at higher difficulties results in much longer cooldowns as well. It's a feature that is there for convenience, not something you will actually get to put to use mid fight.

Exactly. It is there for, "hey I levelled, time to try this new thing!" or, "Kind of tired of this skill, let's switch things up for a bit." It isn't there for, "bossdoodman too strongk, must suicide at bossface until I skills right."

untitled-1.jpg
  • MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    Awesome game. Played all classes briefly (up to around 5 at least) and beat it with the Wizard. A bit disappointed with the Wizard tbh. Seemed a bit weak. Very much liked all the other classes though. Going to be a hard choice.

"Turn on Elective mode" should be the thread title (and the first thing on the original post with a decent explanation of why). I didn't know you could do this until now. I really don't understand why blizzard thinks you need that level of hand holding that you can't make choices as to spells in categories as a default. Bizarre.

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Blizzard have been doing a LOT of experimentations in how to guide people to use a decent set of skills in WoW as well, they want it to be intuitive to have a decent build even if you don't pay too much attention. You'd be surprised what people can do sometimes.

A lot like how portal was a huge excercise in teaching the player stuff really.

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Matz wrote: »
    Awesome game. Played all classes briefly (up to around 5 at least) and beat it with the Wizard. A bit disappointed with the Wizard tbh. Seemed a bit weak. Very much liked all the other classes though. Going to be a hard choice.

"Turn on Elective mode" should be the thread title (and the first thing on the original post with a decent explanation of why). I didn't know you could do this until now. I really don't understand why blizzard thinks you need that level of hand holding that you can't make choices as to spells in categories as a default. Bizarre.

Because they need to cater to a large community of very casual players who may or may not be familiar with Diablo. The option is there for the more informed gamer, but I think having it dumbed down by default is the better business choice.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Arkady wrote: »

Exactly. It is there for, "hey I levelled, time to try this new thing!" or, "Kind of tired of this skill, let's switch things up for a bit." It isn't there for, "bossdoodman too strongk, must suicide at bossface until I skills right."

First of all I did not know that the timer increased in later difficulties. But as it is now you can easily switch skills around during a boss fight 1 by 1, as I did with my low level WD SK run when I realized I borked my skill build and was having trouble beating him. I just switched out a skill 1 at a time and used other skills while I waited and I was able to figure out the fastest way to kill him and not die during the process. If this were to stay the way it were it would be easy to test encounters on your first try and min/max and never have to deal with the actual difficulty of the encounters. I shouldn't be able to methodically tear down every encounter on the first try without penalty because I can switch out the skills on the fly.

I never said that you should have to go to town, but you shouldn't be able to switch skills during endgame encounters.

Also, I am not sure how treating every high end encounter in the highest difficulty in a different and unique way is "crippingly boring", while using the same build and same items all the time for every encounter isn't. Your logic is terrible. Some skills will handle certain area's and monster types better than others, and the ability to switch between fights allows you to take advantage of that. But you shouldn't be able to min/max boss fights by switching out skills and then progress through higher difficulties sooner than intended. I do hope that Blizzard took the time to make the larger encounters a reasonable cockblock for the Inferno so that you cannot just spam your way through the difficulty.

And yes there has to be a punishment for your choices. If you make bad choices at a bad time then you should die. You should not be able to coast through the hardest difficulties and not take any sort of penalty.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular

It's a simple fact that some builds are better for certain encounters(i.e. boss fights) than others. So if swapping skills was trivial then taking advantage of that would be the predominant way to play the game at higher difficulties, which completely kills the strategy of coming up with a well-rounded build. Even the cooldown isn't enough to prevent that, since often waiting 15 seconds is no big deal - this is why Blizzard implemented the Nephalem Valor reset to discourage that. I guarantee you though that all else being equal, the first people to beat Inferno will be the ones who min/max their skills for each encounter.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Buy a decent hand crossbow from the fence. He offers 16 or 17DPS hand crossbows. Put a decent quiver in your offhand, and two rings with +2-4 damage each and you'll have monster DPS in no time. The DH is much more fun when she can actually kill things. Once she has gear and AOE skills, she becomes fun. Unfortunately it takes till the end of the beta for her to really get off the ground. Twinking yourself some crossbows could get you through that rough patch.

or just abuse the stun on impale.

valiance on

Because they need to cater to a large community of very casual players who may or may not be familiar with Diablo. The option is there for the more informed gamer, but I think having it dumbed down by default is the better business choice.

Maybe - but I would have thought that even the most stupid/casual player would have been able to cope with unrestricted skill selection. Even without elective mode you still have to make a skill decision and assign it to a (fixed) button.

2uenpg3.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    It's like they think a player will slot nothing but fury spenders on his barb and be stuck wondering why he can't use his abilities.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    It's like they think a player will slot nothing but fury spenders on his barb and be stuck wondering why he can't use his abilities.

That's almost as bad as people switching skills after every fight.

• NylonathetepNylonathetep Registered User regular
    Server down?

714353-1.png
  • ThisThis Registered User regular
    So is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the rare items don't seem to drop for characters that have already beaten the Skeleton King?

• aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    This wrote: »
    So is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the rare items don't seem to drop for characters that have already beaten the Skeleton King?

I noticed this as well. My drops in general have also decreased on other playthroughs

fss_overall.png
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

Only your first kill guarantees good loot. This is an intentional design decision to make boss rushing less appealing.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »

I noticed this as well. My drops in general have also decreased on other playthroughs

There was a blue post that stated that a class rare would drop on your first kill of a boss in Normal Difficulty. It won't happen on higher difficulties.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    Server down?

"3:28pm PDT: We have taken the beta servers down for maintenance and expect to be back up by 5pm PDT"

fss_overall.png
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular

I'd blame the weapon. I got lucky enough to see somebody here recommending that you grab a couple hand crossbows off one of the merchants once you hit level 8 or so, and it makes a big, big difference. Demon Hunter was my first run through, and probably my favorite. Just a super involved play style.

Maybe - but I would have thought that even the most stupid/casual player would have been able to cope with unrestricted skill selection. Even without elective mode you still have to make a skill decision and assign it to a (fixed) button.

You have much more faith in people than I. Having worked customer service I absolutely believe that you need to design something around the lowest common denominator, Blizz made the right choice The option is there for the more intelligent crowd, the kiddy wheels are there for the masses who don't care and just want to click and slash stuff.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

I've seen people do the equivalent in WoW, in cases where there were a lot less choices than in D3. So it's a solid design choice for the casual crowd, while elective mode exists for us who care about it. Win win really, unless somehow making a game more accessible is bad, which is a thing I suppose some people have issues with.

• ZekZek Registered User regular

Most players will know better than to make a completely retarded build like that, but this system protects them from generally poor decisions like adding both Bash and Cleave, etc. It definitely makes the game more accessible, it's just that the visibility and interface for elective mode isn't the greatest.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

You're so cute when you're optimistic.

In non-elective mode, you may have to make a selection, but it's a very limited controlled selection specific to each slot so you end up with a decently well-rounded build at the end. One that's also easy for the casual player to tweak a bit to more suit their playstyle and ease them in to the idea of making "builds".

The main issue right now is some people don't seem to know you can turn elective mode on. They need to make it clearer to the player that it exists.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    aerynkelly wrote: »
    Server down?

"3:28pm PDT: We have taken the beta servers down for maintenance and expect to be back up by 5pm PDT"

Dammit I just woke up and was about to try a WD. Serves me right for sleeping. I'm such a carebear.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Its not that I have a problem with the option of elective mode (which is great) but I played 5 classes (briefly) without even realising there was this option. There wasn't the visibility or education to let me know. I guess its only a small gripe. And I do know now...

2uenpg3.png

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Do we know if it's guaranteed for a rare drop off a boss per kill per difficulty ala D2 or just first time ever? It would be silly if it was the latter, but paranoia demands I ask.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Do we know if it's guaranteed for a rare drop off a boss per kill per difficulty ala D2 or just first time ever? It would be silly if it was the latter, but paranoia demands I ask.

First time ever on normal mode only. They explicitly do not want people boss rushing.

untitled-1.jpg

First time ever on normal mode only. They explicitly do not want people boss rushing.

Yet another good decision. Boss Runs are a silly way to play the game.

delphinidaes.png
  • CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Just got a chance to play the Beta today, for the first time. I must admit, it is REALLY good! I like it a lot. I already have the game pre-ordered but this just makes that purchase feel justified. I played through the Beta with the Demon Hunter, killed The Skeleton King, then played a little bit more to hit level 10 and start tinkering around with the blacksmith crafting. Before the servers went down for maintenance, I was on my second play-through (with the same character), so that I could hit the level cap of 13 before switching to a different class. I like the Demon Hunter a lot. Rapid Fire is a really fun skill.

Without having to look through the whole thread, I am curious what drops others got from Leoric on their first killing of him? I got a 2-hand Staff (which I can't use). 15.1 DPS, +1-3 fire damage, +4% attack speed, 1.00% damage taken converted to life & monster kills grant +4 exp. I saw someone on the last page say they had a 2-handed sword drop. Anyone get a 1-handed crossbow or a quiver to drop?

76561197967491341.png
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular

? This doesn't make sense to me. Why would it be normal only

A good question but that is what someone said this page or on the last.

untitled-1.jpg

Don't know if it's normal only, I was under the impression it was on the first kill in each difficulty. But that there is a system to increase your MF by killing champ packs and then killing the boss.

delphinidaes.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I'd see it more as a huge boost to your MF for the first boss kill, rather than a punishment for boss runs. And then the rest they balance back in the Champion Packs for those that are max level. I mean, in the Beta you can get what? Maybe 40-50% MF? You aren't going to be getting rares non stop with that low amount.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Normal only huh. I want my uber lootz, damn. It would still prevent boss rushing in the grand scheme if it was only first kill, but I guess that's a mixed message too.

• MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »

Most players will know better than to make a completely retarded build like that, but this system protects them from generally poor decisions like adding both Bash and Cleave, etc. It definitely makes the game more accessible, it's just that the visibility and interface for elective mode isn't the greatest.

Talk me down from this: honestly, Bash/Cleave sounds a lot nice than Blash/Hammer or Cleave/Hammer....

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    valiance wrote: »

Buy a decent hand crossbow from the fence. He offers 16 or 17DPS hand crossbows. Put a decent quiver in your offhand, and two rings with +2-4 damage each and you'll have monster DPS in no time. The DH is much more fun when she can actually kill things. Once she has gear and AOE skills, she becomes fun. Unfortunately it takes till the end of the beta for her to really get off the ground. Twinking yourself some crossbows could get you through that rough patch.

or just abuse the stun on impale.

Not a bad idea on the fence. I didn't even look at the merchants so far because I was pouring all my gold into the blacksmith (who is a couple boosts into journeyman now). It was interesting just seeing what came up in there.

Is it better to do the hand crossbow and quiver, or two hand-crossbows? Will the speed boost from the quiver offset the damage boost from a second weapon? It feels like the quiver makes more sense for bows/light crossbows.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.