As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Just got into the beta!

Now what's all this Sigil nonsense folk are talking about? Is it worth collecting, or is it just, like, a silly flag you can set up in-game or something?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm honestly really surprised there are people upset about the D3 story. I never remembered D2 (the only one I really played) having a worthwhile story at all.

In other news, why am I at work when there is a delicious beta to be had? WHY

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Matz wrote: »
    Was it just a US beta round release or is there some hope that when I get home from work I might have a little present...

Supposedly this beta round included EU players as well.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I was a bit worried about the lore when I saw Jondar in the beta videos. He's summoning skeletons, shooting poison all around him, and called a "necromancer betrayer." But he used to be a Templar? That's nothing like the Blood Raven and Summoner style of bringing back old characters.

Turns out, though, it's definitely not all they're giving us. There's an interview where they tell us (sidequest spoilers)
    that we'll run into a guy who was an apprentice to the Diablo 2 necromancer.

Just a heads up- I probably missed that video because the interviewer looks and sounds like he's struggling not to vomit from nervousness the entire time.

• MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Bashiok wrote:
    immediately giving you what you want is usually not a fun game mechanic in the long term
    Spoken like a true Blizz dev.

Its true though, always has been, always will be. Limitation breeds creativity, not freedom. The more choices you give to a player upfront, they less meaningful each choice, and the less the player cares about option A vs F.

Finally, if you guys thinking getting a character to max level is going to take a long time or be a chore and that you wont get to enjoy certain skill options because of it, then man.... you must have no faith at all in the long term playability of this game.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    It's funny how people can't wrap their head around rune/skill progression. It's done in every other game be it a RPG or a FPS. I think people are just confused because Blizzard tried to do it differently, realized that it sucked, and went back to a more traditional model of progression. Then they improved on it by making it so that every level 60 character could choose & re-choose any skill/rune combo without penalty. What is there to complain about?

Do you really want to go back to the system where high level runes only dropped 0.000025% of the time in the hardest levels of the game meaning you might not ever see the rune you actually want? How is that better than knowing you'll have ALL OF THEM by level 60?

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    SC2 just sounded the MIGHTY CHEESE ALARM from the very first scene. I was utterly disappointed. Hope they got their shit together for this, it's important in my book.
    What do you mean? It's time to kick this war against Hell into overdrive.

edited April 2012
    I think a lot of people didn't pay attention to the specifics of the old rune system, because lower level runes in many cases were fucking weaksauce. Oh boy, a rune that takes 10 seconds off this 3 minute cooldown. Whoopy.

forty on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Ranged melee, huh?

Really long arms. Mr Fantastic class.

Bobble wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Ranged melee, huh?

Dhalsim.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    SC and Diablo have stories? What?

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    Just got into the beta!

Now what's all this Sigil nonsense folk are talking about? Is it worth collecting, or is it just, like, a silly flag you can set up in-game or something?

It's a flag that represents your character in multiplayer. So other people can see your flag in town and click it to teleport right to you. As you complete achievements and stuff you will unlock new doodads for it to show other people what you've accomplished.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    SC and Diablo have stories? What?

I would take it a step further and throw Warcraft int here as well. The story was fine, but to hear some people say it, it was some master piece of writing instead of just your standard fantasy fare.

I liked it well enough, but I don't see it being much different than the quality of the story from SC or D2 at all. Which is why D3 will probably be more of the same. Certainly enjoyable, but nothing revolutionary.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    At least Diablo has one thing going for it. Diablo and Tyrael are infinitely more badass than Kerrigan and Arthas.

V0Gug2h.png
    Chen wrote: »
    At least Diablo has one thing going for it. Diablo and Tyrael are infinitely more badass than Kerrigan and Arthas.

:^:

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Storywise, I really like the implication that everything has been following the brothers' plan. Look forward to seeing how that plays out.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So reading up on some lore, despite the two 'new' evils only being lesser evils.. they're somehow stronger than the Prime Evils? Maybe?

• ChenChen Registered User regular
    They ganged up on them when the three brothers were having a nice and quiet picnic.

V0Gug2h.png
    Is there a lore recap somewhere? I love the Warcraft Lore (or did, till cataclysm), know and am not offended by the Starcraft lore, but all I know about Diablo is that he is a demon, Tyrael is a badass, and people should really stop trying to live in Tristam.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'd actually say that Diablo appears to suffer from the same sort of story weaknesses (and strengths...) as other Blizzard games (Metzen, ahoy!), with the exception that it is deliberately more personal (whereas Warcraft has only recently become more personal). The sort of "idiot ball" dilemma, along with "stupidity so strong, it lasts", seems to be a big problem in Diablo as well as Warcraft.

Granted, the MMO has done a number on Warcraft's lore, which is hardly all beneficial, but putting that aside, up to Warcraft III, it hardly seems any worse than Diablo thusfar. Diablo particularly seems to suffer from the whole "We did it for the evilulz" issue, more so than even the most hammy hams of Warcraft. Maybe that's changed recently.

Starcraft has always been "The South Shall Rise Again! Oh shit!" in space, so I'm not sure what to make of it. It may be worse, I just am not that familiar with it.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    So reading up on some lore, despite the two 'new' evils only being lesser evils.. they're somehow stronger than the Prime Evils? Maybe?

The circumstances are different this time around. When we fought the prime evils, there had been sent to Sanctuary without form, and had to possess and change the bodies of mortals. (I'm not sure about how Andariel and Duriel got to Sanctuary)

This time around, the Worldstone is destroyed.

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is there a lore recap somewhere? I love the Warcraft Lore (or did, till cataclysm), know and am not offended by the Starcraft lore, but all I know about Diablo is that he is a demon, Tyrael is a badass, and people should really stop trying to live in Tristam.

A poster on neogaf made this:
    And here we go! My story refresher for both Diablo games is now complete.

Full Playlist:
    Start with Diablo 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loqqoG1GAVE
    Start with Diablo 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUBkzOMeX-g

Essentially, I've got all of the major story footage from both games plus a little combat b-roll to keep things interesting. If you were looking to replay both games in order to get a refresh on the story, you won't have to because I've got ya covered. If you're new to the franchise and you want to see how the story played out in both games, this has got ya covered.

I put in quite a bit of time into this, so I hope you guys enjoy.

Suckafish on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    ....speaking of which, the dark riders just referred to the horrors coming out of the church, right?

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Suckafish wrote: »
    lore recap

You were there too, Tyrael, I remember

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So...are the my little demonic ponies still in the beta or was that just a temporary joke?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    This is currently playing like crap, very stuttery - is that a known issue with this patch?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, I'm trying to update the beta and it's just... not doing anything. Are the servers down?

edit: nevermind, it just took ages before it finally started to do something.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    azith28 wrote: »
    So...are the my little demonic ponies still in the beta or was that just a temporary joke?

I would be shocked if there wasn't some kind of secret level in the final retail version. There weren't any ponies in the beta as far as I know.

I could see them wanting to do rainbow ponies, but considering the fear of a lawsuit from the folks at Hasbro, it's probably a safer bet that it will be cows of some variety again.

El Guaco on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    El Guaco wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »

I would be shocked if there wasn't some kind of secret level in the final retail version. There weren't any ponies in the beta as far as I know.

I could see them wanting to do rainbow ponies, but considering the fear of a lawsuit from the folks at Hasbro, it's probably a safer bet that it will be cows of some variety again.

Hasbro doesn't have a monopoly on ponies and rainbows :P As long as they avoid specific names and likenesses I think they'll be fine.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »

The circumstances are different this time around. When we fought the prime evils, there had been sent to Sanctuary without form, and had to possess and change the bodies of mortals. (I'm not sure about how Andariel and Duriel got to Sanctuary)

The Book of Cain goes over this to a degree. My copy is at home, but as I recall it;
    The 7 evils are the fragments left over of the latter half of a battle between ultimate forces of light and dark (good and evil, with some varying shades thrown in) that was waged from the start of the universe.

While there are 3 "prime" eveils and 4 "lesser" evils, it's not really supposed to be like Captains and Lieutenants. All 7 are incredibly powerful beings in their own right, different preferences, specialties and whatnot.

Now, in a game sense, yeah, eventually you hit a point where you can defeat Diablo, so the same difficulty Andariel is a pushover, but that's just because we're that badass as humans. Hero humans, at that!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Tarantio wrote: »

The Book of Cain goes over this to a degree. My copy is at home, but as I recall it;
    The 7 evils are the fragments left over of the latter half of a battle between ultimate forces of light and dark (good and evil, with some varying shades thrown in) that was waged from the start of the universe.

While there are 3 "prime" eveils and 4 "lesser" evils, it's not really supposed to be like Captains and Lieutenants. All 7 are incredibly powerful beings in their own right, different preferences, specialties and whatnot.

Now, in a game sense, yeah, eventually you hit a point where you can defeat Diablo, so the same difficulty Andariel is a pushover, but that's just because we're that badass as humans. Hero humans, at that!
    More specifically, the 7 evils are the seven heads of a great dragon that split from the first living being. All the other demons are borne from the dragon's rotting flesh.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I wish Blizzard would slide me a beta just so I could check the game's performance on my iMac before I plop down my $50+ on it.

I guess I wasn't high up on the list of possible candidates as I don't play WoW, don't play Diablo II actively anymore, and don't own Starcraft II.

Ah well.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I wish Blizzard would slide me a beta just so I could check the game's performance on my iMac before I plop down my $50+ on it.

I guess I wasn't high up on the list of possible candidates as I don't play WoW, don't play Diablo II actively anymore, and don't own Starcraft II.

Ah well.

Means nothing. I've been subscribed to WoW since day one, owned all the Diablo/Starcraft/Warcraft games and never gotten a beta invite.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    Louie wrote: »
    This is currently playing like crap, very stuttery - is that a known issue with this patch?

Runs just fine for me.

delphinidaes.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »

You'll get that if there's a server or network issue since the game runs online.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So the beta is off to a crap start. First you can't pick where to install it. Blah. Then the launcher main display locks up, so I kill it. Then it gets stuck on "Updating setup files" before even getting to the launcher, but I eventually sort that out. Then I find despite it having 3.6GB not in one folder, but copied into a second location (one is program files, one in user/appdata), the launcher doesn't seem to see either location and is back to having the main display locked up, but the connection details say it stills has 2 GB's to grab and I've only ever gotten 1. So what the hell is that 3.6GBX2 (deleted the appdata one...) doing there...fake file sizes?

Xeddicus on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    No beta. :cry: Abloo.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    My only beta problem thus far (aside from it saying it's fifteen gig) is that when the bnet servers go down, I can't play singleplayer. I know that's probably a diablo "thing" or whatever, but damn is it annoying since i mainly just want to see if I want to play. Monk is fun so far though.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The creation of the universe stuff in Diablo is pretty cool. Reminds me of shades of Zoroastrianism along with parts of Genesis.

Just read the prophecy from the except of Book of Cain, and part of the 2011 Lore panel. It's pretty obvious what's going to happen to the angelic council but I'll spoiler it all the same.
    Prophecy

At the End of Days, Wisdom shall be lost as Justice falls upon the world of men. Valor shall turn to wrath and all hope will be swallowed by despair. Death, at least, shall spread its wings over all as fate lies shattered forever.

Which obviously means,
    Tyrael is going full renegade Zeratul style, Itherael is likely in hiding, or killed as is Auriel, Malthael is the new big bad, and Imperious is either going to join him or be corrupted by hell.

I almost wish they hadn't published that, since you'd have to be a brick to not read between the lines as far as what each angel represents. If they subvert that prophecy I will be truly shocked. Still, lots of unoriginal things can still be awesome. It's all in the execution.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    My only beta problem thus far (aside from it saying it's fifteen gig) is that when the bnet servers go down, I can't play singleplayer. I know that's probably a diablo "thing" or whatever, but damn is it annoying since i mainly just want to see if I want to play. Monk is fun so far though.

Actually, it wasn't a Diablo thing until this game. In the first game, multiplayer was pretty much just tacked on (didn't even have all the levels/items/quests as single player), and in the second game more people played it offline/LAN than on Battle.net. So there was a bit of an uproar when they made this one online-only.

This discussion has been closed.