As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    is there word on when the beta will end? When at pax east the guy handing out keys saying something cryptic about it, that x was happening this week. and it was along the lines of open beta, or the keys he was handing out would expire then. I see they added 275,000 for what I guess is stress testing so it might just be that.

steam_sig.png
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    if anybody gets a key they don't need for god's sake PM it to me

sic2sig.jpg
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    It's just a matter of time before it gets hacked/pirated. There's unnoficial wow servers, so people are emulating that client. I have a friend who plays on one and he said they just got latest expansion.

WC3 was hacked during the beta, emulating bnet and everything (warforge was awesome :D ) and I'm not sure but I'm gonna guess there was something to emulate bnet after it's retail release too.

I don't think the question is ever will it be hacked/pirated buy when and in what form?

I could never pirate a Blizzard game (I don't pirate any more anyways. But even my younger self would buy all the blizzard games) they tend to put so much work, effort, and polish into their games it always seemed wrong. Their products are typically well worth the money, and they continue to support their releases.

I just hope D3 isn't like when I first bought D2. Ran out an bought it day one, only to realize it ran like poo on my laptop.

none of these things are really what people are worried about

i believe the chief concern is over hacks with relation to the official blizzard servers and the RMAH

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Yeah, no one has cracked WoW's official servers as far as we know, so that's a good sign for Diablo 3's even if there may be a little more incentive with the need to convert the fake money into real money cut out. I imagine the hammer that falls on you for doing it will be bigger too.

But just to safeguard everyone I think you all should put Wizard items up on the RMAH for pennies only.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Yeah, no one has cracked WoW's official servers as far as we know, so that's a good sign for Diablo 3's even if there may be a little more incentive with the need to convert the fake money into real money cut out. I imagine the hammer that falls on you for doing it will be bigger too.

But just to safeguard everyone I think you all should put Wizard items up on the RMAH for pennies only.

I mean, there's stuff like bots, teleport hacks, and weirdness with instance farming that have happened over the years. But you're right, nothing major. And I'm sure a D3 ban will be a full CD key/account ban, just like WoW. So, getting caught is expensive.

• Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    well, people in wow usually have their accounts compromised so their accounts can be stripped of money and sold, and used for farming
    so there's still incentive for that in game currency, even though there's no RMAH

i'm just really glad they went with the online only system they did, so there's no stupid hacks/dupes/whatever like in d2 directly on their own servers

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    musanman wrote: »

It's tied to your account, no key involved.

steam_sig.png
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

how does a guy go to PAX east and hand out beta keys to my account

sic2sig.jpg
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

how does a guy go to PAX east and hand out beta keys to my account

Promotional stuff = keys. If you win one off a fansite or something, then yeah you're going to get a key.

If you get the beta through random selection from the opt in, you don't get a key. It ties to your account.

steam_sig.png
  • MatzMatz Bronze Grandmaster FurieRegistered User regular
    Anyone know how release day is going to work? Is there going to be a global unlock at the same time regardless of time zone? Or will it become active for those of us in NZ at midnight on 15 May? (or in my case in the morning when I pick up my CE).

2uenpg3.png

Lose: The opposite of win
    Loose: Your mum
    _J_ wrote: »
    I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Matz wrote: »
    Anyone know how release day is going to work? Is there going to be a global unlock at the same time regardless of time zone? Or will it become active for those of us in NZ at midnight on 15 May? (or in my case in the morning when I pick up my CE).

I believe they've said it will unlock based on local time.

Though I wonder how that will affect things, since if it's anything like WoW, it just means EVERYONE will try to log onto the first servers available, possibly crushing them like a leaf under a boot.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    In an effort to avoid the crushing of said leaf (and being lazy!) I ordered it from Amazon, so they better have it up and running smooth by the time my copy shows up! If not, I'll expect a discount on the first stash expansion or something!

I must admit that I do have the expectation that, no matter how much preparation, stress testing and server investment Blizzard put in, release day gaming will be an unmitigated debarcle!

2uenpg3.png

I imagine that I make more money from D3 than I would make sucking dick. But I wouldn't want to spend either my D3 or dick sucking money on gear.
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    It's Blizzard, I wouldn't be worried about the servers crushing. Didn't Starcraft 2 go off soundly?

This space for rent
    I got SC2 quite late so not sure how it coped on release day. If they manage to pull off a relatively smooth launch then full credit to them. Perhaps they can borrow some of the WoW servers.

2uenpg3.png

• hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Yeah I expect launch day to be a horrible experience, and I'm extra pessimistic about the South-East Asia servers too for some reason.

Josh5890 wrote: »
    It's Blizzard, I wouldn't be worried about the servers crushing. Didn't Starcraft 2 go off soundly?

Depends on who you ask. The topic has come up a few times over the threads, and generally it seems to be a mix of people who didn't have many problems, counter pointed by people who say that they or their friends couldn't get achievements for some reason, or had buggy gameplay experiences, or trouble logging in, etc.

I get that they've improved their releases since the days of the early WoW expansions, but it's hard to shake the feeling that some point of their software hardware won't crumple under the raw number of people who are going to try to log in within a few hours of each other when this starts going live.

Hell, weren't there issues just this past weekend when they handed out 275k beta keys? That's probably somewhat unfair, since the beta probably isn't sitting on the full backbone they can bring to bear, but I'd be sincerely surprised if hundreds of thousands or even millions of players all but simultaneously logging in/playing didn't cause something, somewhere in the system to shit itself and die, or at least need a good swift rebooting or twelve.

I sincerely hope that's not the case, even though I probably won't be playing on the release day due to Amazon shipping my game in from the US, but like most big online launches, I'm expecting and planning for the worst while hoping for the best.

Let's just say that I'll be cheering you guys on (while likely abandoning the thread for even minor spoilers) but won't be at all surprised if there isn't some bitching about log in or authentication or lag or instability or whatever.

• BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It will be interesting to read about the first murder commited over non-existant items paid for with real cash. Cause if WoW is any indication you know the same thing is gonna happen here.

Has nothing to do with the games, has everything to with people being dumb as rocks.

Pretty sure that happened with Everquest.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
    edited April 2012
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Online-gamer-killed-for-selling-virtual-weapon/2005/03/30/1111862440188.html

EDIT: and this is quite an amusing statement from that article:

"Legend of Mir 3 has not yet been released in Australia. MMORPG enthusiasts here are more likely to be playing the very popular Everquest, or a new contender, World of Warcraft."

Matz on
    2uenpg3.png

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

Depends on who you ask. The topic has come up a few times over the threads, and generally it seems to be a mix of people who didn't have many problems, counter pointed by people who say that they or their friends couldn't get achievements for some reason, or had buggy gameplay experiences, or trouble logging in, etc.

I get that they've improved their releases since the days of the early WoW expansions, but it's hard to shake the feeling that some point of their software hardware won't crumple under the raw number of people who are going to try to log in within a few hours of each other when this starts going live.

Hell, weren't there issues just this past weekend when they handed out 275k beta keys? That's probably somewhat unfair, since the beta probably isn't sitting on the full backbone they can bring to bear, but I'd be sincerely surprised if hundreds of thousands or even millions of players all but simultaneously logging in/playing didn't cause something, somewhere in the system to shit itself and die, or at least need a good swift rebooting or twelve.

I sincerely hope that's not the case, even though I probably won't be playing on the release day due to Amazon shipping my game in from the US, but like most big online launches, I'm expecting and planning for the worst while hoping for the best.

Let's just say that I'll be cheering you guys on (while likely abandoning the thread for even minor spoilers) but won't be at all surprised if there isn't some bitching about log in or authentication or lag or instability or whatever.

I'm pretty sure the point of handing out 275k beta keys was to stress the fuck out of the system to see what needs fixing or upgrading.

• MrBeensMrBeens Registered User regular
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Online-gamer-killed-for-selling-virtual-weapon/2005/03/30/1111862440188.html

"Legend of Mir 3 has not yet been released in Australia. MMORPG enthusiasts here are more likely to be playing the very popular Everquest, or a new contender, World of Warcraft."

The article is 7 years old

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So how do people feel about the actual gameplay to this point. Watching some of the videos I just wonder how well this genre has aged, I wonder if overall game mechanics have evolved to the point where ye olde hack'n'slash just doesn't cut it anymore. Would love to get some thoughts from people who have played the beta well beyond the point of anything feeling new anymore.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    I haven't played much over the last few patches, but I did put in my 20 hours getting ALL of the Beta achievements (all classes to 13) when I got in, and I found it highly enjoyable. Sure, it wasn't taxing, but that's what happens when you outlevel the tutorial content pretty quickly. The design and mechanics all felt pretty good, and from the patch notes I've kept up on it seems they're going in directions I appreciate.

Might put some time in this weekend to see what's been changed since I last toyed around with the runes.

Anyway, combined with what I've seen of later skills, later enemies, and their emphasis on providing challenge and rewarding loot in Hell/Inferno, I have faith it'll all work out. Well, and crush my social life, but that was expected anyway.

• mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    So how do people feel about the actual gameplay to this point. Watching some of the videos I just wonder how well this genre has aged, I wonder if overall game mechanics have evolved to the point where ye olde hack'n'slash just doesn't cut it anymore. Would love to get some thoughts from people who have played the beta well beyond the point of anything feeling new anymore.

I was worried that between the complexity of newer games and the fact that D2 game out when I was like 12, I'd be disappointed in how the genre's aged.

It's really awesome. They still scratch that ever-persistent loot-whoring itch for me. They've brought the game along in terms of physics/environmental interaction and the sheer kinetic feel of hacking/slashing through things. With the exception of DH, I feel like a god because I send splintered fragments of skeleton, zombie, and barrel alike across the screen.

It's not chess, but it's fucking fun.

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    ... it's hard to shake the feeling that some point of their software hardware won't crumple under the raw number of people who are going to try to log in within a few hours of each other when this starts going live.

I don't think the number of people logging on in the first hour or two will be as big as some people anticipate. Especially if all servers go online at 12am PST. That's 3am for me, 8-9am for some of the big European markets.

First 24-48 hours, sure, massive numbers, but I bet it will be a moderate initial hit followed by a heavy stream of new accounts over those first two days.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    At the rate the unlock is going, its going to be finished 20 days after the release.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    SC2 puts far less of a strain on servers than D3, so it's not really comparable. But even then, SC2 had issues with b.net disconnects in the first couple weeks.

Suckafish wrote: »
    I don't think the number of people logging on in the first hour or two will be as big as some people anticipate. Especially if all servers go online at 12am PST. That's 3am for me, 8-9am for some of the big European markets.

First 24-48 hours, sure, massive numbers, but I bet it will be a moderate initial hit followed by a heavy stream of new accounts over those first two days.

There was some talk earlier of the 'going live' time being based on the time zone, not just PST.

But yeah, I'm EST as well, so a midnight PST release in the middle of the week means I wouldn't be touching the servers until the next afternoon/evening anyway (and that's if I'm lucky and Amazon doesn't make me wait 1-3+ days for my CE).

• SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    There was some talk earlier of the 'going live' time being based on the time zone, not just PST.

But yeah, I'm EST as well, so a midnight PST release in the middle of the week means I wouldn't be touching the servers until the next afternoon/evening anyway (and that's if I'm lucky and Amazon doesn't make me wait 1-3+ days for my CE).

Futureshop preorder for me, regular edition. There was a sale last year during E3 where preordering three games took $20 off the price of each. Mass Effect 3 arrived on the release date, so I have hopes D3 will do the same, else I'll be picking up a copy on my way home from work and then sorting out what to do with the extra one.

• El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    Some cool info on dual wielding:

http://youtu.be/Vke_bm42cNI

Nice video. I actually had no idea about the whole "every other swing uses the attack speed of the weapon in that arm" thing. It's interesting to see the attack speed stat changing with each swing.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    I'd like to see how it works with attack skills. Are you going to want to make sure you cast Earthquake with your higher dps weapon?

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    SC2 puts far less of a strain on servers than D3, so it's not really comparable. But even then, SC2 had issues with b.net disconnects in the first couple weeks.

That's not encouraging, given we're bound to online no matter what.

Synthesis wrote: »

That's not encouraging, given we're bound to online no matter what.
    It wasn't meant to be encouraging! I'm expecting problems the first few days of D3's release.

Tarantio wrote: »
    I'd like to see how it works with attack skills. Are you going to want to make sure you cast Earthquake with your higher dps weapon?
    That's a good question. I would hope it's designed such that attacks/spells that aren't tied to a specific left-hand/right-hand swing just do some sort of averaging thing between your weapons.

MrBeens wrote: »

The article is 7 years old

I know. Just amusing that at that time WoW was a new "contender" rather than the behemoth it became.

2uenpg3.png

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    That's a good question. I would hope it's designed such that attacks/spells that aren't tied to a specific left-hand/right-hand swing just do some sort of averaging thing between your weapons.
    Honestly, I think cooldown abilities should be based entirely on your DPS, rather than individual weapon damage. Since DPS is already something you want to maximize, it shouldn't dictate your gear, but still allows you to prefer slow weapons with high damage or fast weapons with low damage.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Another 275,000 invites went out, time to check your battle.net account.

I'm still not in. =/

Honestly, I think cooldown abilities should be based entirely on your DPS, rather than individual weapon damage. Since DPS is already something you want to maximize, it shouldn't dictate your gear, but still allows you to prefer slow weapons with high damage or fast weapons with low damage.
    I think that might work best. I'm curious how things like +fire damage on a weapon play out with big cooldown attacks as well.

Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Another 275,000 invites went out, time to check your battle.net account.

I'm still not in. =/

Again? In addition to a few days ago?

2uenpg3.png

This discussion has been closed.