As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    Hey nerds, can you try to contain yourselves with the spoiler discussions for a couple weeks? People clearly have varying ideas about what warrants a tag and I don't want to be putting together the pieces that people didn't deem spoiler-worthy as I'm reading this thread.

I feel like calling any discussion about the events of Diablo 2 "spoiler-worthy" is 10 years overdue, and any story elements from the Sin Wars novels and Diablo 3 data miners should be locked within at least 3 spoiler tags.

What about stuff that can be inferred from the d3 opening cinematic? :P

If you're inferring things with the added clarity of the spoilers you already know, then keep a lid on it.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    lu tze wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Did anyone point out the distance map for the OP?
    r3QQr.jpg
    Wait, what?

Distances are given in yards right?

Either that guy is 18 feet tall, or someone at Blizzard really needs to get back the fuck to school.

I was gonna say that the perspective throws it off a fair bit, but his foot is about 2 yards long. That seems odd.

Unless distance are in feet, in which case that guys stance is about 2 feet wide, and he stand a little over 6 feet tall.
    Alternatively, they could be in some unnamed Sanctuary specific unit of measure given just so players could have something to reference when considering ranges, in which case, who knows?

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    r3QQr.jpg
    Wait, what?

Either that guy is 18 feet tall, or someone at Blizzard really needs to get back the fuck to school.

I was gonna say that the perspective throws it off a fair bit, but his foot is about 2 yards long. That seems odd.

Unless distance are in feet, in which case that guys stance is about 2 feet wide, and he stand a little over 6 feet tall.
    Alternatively, they could be in some unnamed Sanctuary specific unit of measure given just so players could have something to reference when considering ranges, in which case, who knows?

Distance is measured in yards, and yes it's ridiculous. Just imagine that a Sanctuary yard is roughly the equivalent of one Earth foot.

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I haven't seen this stated anywhere. Do you have to go through paypal to put cash in and get cash back out? Or can Blizzard pay you directly. Can you add cash directly via Blizzard?

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    mastman wrote: »
    I haven't seen this stated anywhere. Do you have to go through paypal to put cash in and get cash back out? Or can Blizzard pay you directly. Can you add cash directly via Blizzard?

You can "cash out" to Blizzard Balance without using Paypal; however that can only be used on Blizzard products in their store (and apparently not sub time for WoW for some fucking absurd reason?)

If you want actual cash, you have to use paypal; no ifs ands or buts.

I don't think you need paypal to put cash in; afaik that comes out of your blizzard balance, which can be loaded with a CC or whatever. I imagine you can also load it with paypal? Never used it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    mastman wrote: »

Looks like you need Paypal to cash out. I think you can use paypal or a credit card to cash in.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    The Blizzard Bucks seems like an even worse deal than the Real Currency option.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'm really at a loss about all the hate for the RMAH. There's no indication it's going to have any effect on gameplay whatsoever. Blizzard is merely doing what they've always done: vigorously protecting their IP. They know gold farming and item sales are going to happen. This lets them control those sales within the game which yes, allows them to get a cut of the action, but also protects its customers and lets them impose restrictions on when and how the items are sold.

As has been said before this stuff is already happening, has been for a long time. Blizzard controlling ensures that those who want to participate in it will in the long run have a better experience with it. Everything that we know about the gameplay seems to indicate that the RMAH is completely optional. In fact, if anything it's easier to get items you need via in-game resources because of the Blacksmith and Jeweler.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I think much of the hate comes from people who want to make a RL profit, which Blizz is raking a substantial portion thereof.

• Options
    LTM wrote: »
    The Blizzard Bucks seems like an even worse deal than the Real Currency option.

Depends on what you want. $BB can be used to buy stuff on the RMAH too. If you do a lot of buying and selling, makes sense to keep $BB so you don't get hit with the 15% cashout fee. WoW or SC2-playing users could also user their $BB on a digital copy of Mists of Pandaria or Heart of the Swarm, presumably. That would be a nice little bonus.

• Options
    I'm really at a loss about all the hate for the RMAH. There's no indication it's going to have any effect on gameplay whatsoever. Blizzard is merely doing what they've always done: vigorously protecting their IP. They know gold farming and item sales are going to happen. This lets them control those sales within the game which yes, allows them to get a cut of the action, but also protects its customers and lets them impose restrictions on when and how the items are sold.

As has been said before this stuff is already happening, has been for a long time. Blizzard controlling ensures that those who want to participate in it will in the long run have a better experience with it. Everything that we know about the gameplay seems to indicate that the RMAH is completely optional. In fact, if anything it's easier to get items you need via in-game resources because of the Blacksmith and Jeweler.

There's not that much hate for real money trading anymore, but the implementation of the RMAH is really clunky. I don't understand why they have two auction houses at all. They should just stick with the gold AH, and add a marketplace where you can buy/sell gold for real money. The way it is now people are going to be confused about the details for months, and you know they'll pitch a fit when they put money into blizzard bucks and realize they can't get it out again.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Why shouldn't Blizzard take a cut? They're the ones providing the legitimate market structure and facilities.

It's pretty much exactly the same as legalizing weed and taxing it.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Why shouldn't Blizzard take a cut? They're the ones providing the legitimate market structure and facilities.

I'm not saying they shouldn't taking a cut.

Businesses complain to the government all the time that they get taxed too much. This is basically the same level of complaint that people will have with RMAH fees.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Is Barbarian the primary recommendation for someone who is new to the Diablo series? Or will all the classes in 3 be relatively easy to adapt to or whatnot?

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Businesses complain to the government all the time that they get taxed too much. This is basically the same level of complaint that people will have with RMAH fees.

Except it wouldn't be a reasonable comparison.

The RMAH is a completely optional aspect of a video game that is a completely optional thing to play.

Unlike taxes, you have to actively choose to participate in the RMAH. If you choose to do so and don't know what you're getting into it's your own fault, not blizzards.

15% isn't that big of a deal, in reality, when you consider most transactions are going to be pretty low level.

I think a lot of the complaints stem from people overestimating how much money things will actually be going for in the RMAH. Sure, you're bound to have your big ticket items once things settle down; and in the early days pricing is going to be a cluster fuck, but eventually most items simply aren't going to be worth dicking with the RMAH for, given the minimum listing price/fees. But the times when 15% is doing more than taking 20 cents aren't going to be that frequent.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    I don't think any of this needs spoilers, but I'll include them to be safe...

This was posted several pages back (re: Mephisto in the sin war novels)
    Mephisto, ruler of Hell and chief troll of the universe, convinces Heaven not to nuke Sanctuary from orbit

I wanted to know more, and found this on wikipedia:
    When calm settles upon Sanctuary, the five members that compose the Angiris Council arrive to Sanctuary to rule judgement over Inarius and his creations. Imperius, Auriel (female), Malthael, Itherael, and Tyrael. As the five reach a final verdict, Mephisto comes forth to settle a pact with the Angiris Council. Tyrael requests an act from the Demon Lord as proof he will fulfill his end of the pact. Mephisto agrees, with the condition that he and his brothers would be given a prize to take with them to the Burning Hells, Inarius.

Here is my question:
    What was the pact, and what did Tyreal request from Mephisto?

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Is Barbarian the primary recommendation for someone who is new to the Diablo series? Or will all the classes in 3 be relatively easy to adapt to or whatnot?

I really think any of the classes will be fine. They've done a good job making the game very newbie-friendly.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

True.

They seem to all be pretty equally accessible. Barbarian, Wizard, and Demon Hunter fall the most easily into the RPG archetypes (Melee tank, Magic glass cannon, Ranged/Rogue), but Blizzard puts its unique stamp on all of them so much that there's no obvious "simple" class.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Suckafish wrote: »

Mephisto, ruler of Hell and chief troll of the universe, convinces Heaven not to nuke Sanctuary from orbit

When calm settles upon Sanctuary, the five members that compose the Angiris Council arrive to Sanctuary to rule judgement over Inarius and his creations. Imperius, Auriel (female), Malthael, Itherael, and Tyrael. As the five reach a final verdict, Mephisto comes forth to settle a pact with the Angiris Council. Tyrael requests an act from the Demon Lord as proof he will fulfill his end of the pact. Mephisto agrees, with the condition that he and his brothers would be given a prize to take with them to the Burning Hells, Inarius.

Here is my question:
    They agreed that Heaven and Hell would leave humanity alone, and allow them to make their own decisions. (Read: join Heaven or die.) Further, they also agreed to a truce, apparently. Of course some time after that the prime evils got kicked out of Hell into Sanctuary and began the events of Diablo 1 as they wandered around having a good old time before being captured by Tyrael and friends. So they've been enjoying a sort of cold war while waiting for the other shoe to drop. I didn't find what Mephisto did specifically for Tyrael, though.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options

Every class is easy in the start, and we don't know yet how they'll play later on, but they do all scale with weapon damage so there shouldn't be any major issues. Just play what you think looks cool.

• Options

The RMAH is a completely optional aspect of a video game that is a completely optional thing to play.

Unlike taxes, you have to actively choose to participate in the RMAH. If you choose to do so and don't know what you're getting into it's your own fault, not blizzards.

15% isn't that big of a deal, in reality, when you consider most transactions are going to be pretty low level.

I think a lot of the complaints stem from people overestimating how much money things will actually be going for in the RMAH. Sure, you're bound to have your big ticket items once things settle down; and in the early days pricing is going to be a cluster fuck, but eventually most items simply aren't going to be worth dicking with the RMAH for, given the minimum listing price/fees. But the times when 15% is doing more than taking 20 cents aren't going to be that frequent.

:^:

I was just trying to answer the question of "why are so many people complaining about the RMAH?" from the perspective of a seller. You've gone off and argued completely valid points, but from an entirely different perspective.

The RMAH is the focus of a lot of rabble at this point, because really all that is known concretely is the fee structure. This seemingly means the people who want to be sellers are the only people who are really talking/complaining about it at this point.

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular

They all are probably fine. That said, based on the numbers seen so far I would wager that barbarian and WD will probably be the easiest dudes to just start completely fresh with. Barbarian damage modifiers are just abnormally high and the massive int boost skill a wd gets can make up for the gear shortcomings you would see as a completely fresh character working their way up through inferno. That said, while I think those 2 classes will be easier, I don't think they are going to be a whole lot easier or anything. I also have a hunch I might be kicking myself down the road for not picking monk first because of the passive that makes all your resistances equal to your highest one. I think that passive is going to be huge.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Suckafish wrote: »

Here is my question:

Basil pointed out the first part, but
    Tyreals request was that Mephisto place his mark on a spot of the angels choosing. Mephisto agreed, and his mark was placed on top of "a point of flux. a point where this world was sealed together.", to quote the book. His "mark" was made by Meph biting into his own arm and dripping black ooze onto the spot, which made runes appear and what not. We have no idea what placing his mark on that spot actually did/does though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Aumni wrote: »
    Arkady wrote: »
    Skab wrote: »
    Guys what if, in the ultimate Blizzard plot twist, Diablo is the good guy in D3?!

This would make so little sense. Now if it turns out that heaven is just as full of assholes as hell is...

Well the angels wanted to wipe out Sanctuary as well. You can thank Tyrael for them not doing it.

I'm still convinced that shattering the Worldstone made Tyrael batshit loco. At least that's what I'm hoping happened. Everything is his fault, really.

I think it's sort of laughable people keep expecting Tyrael to be evil. I mean, can't we just have one good angel? Really? Is that SO terrible?

Yes.

Basically, if it's not human and in Diablo, I want to kill it. (and then take its stuff.)

Edit: although I am curious about the worldstone as a limit on power stuff. I don't recall reading anything about that, and would love to hear more.

It was part of the deal of saving humanity according to the books. By putting their power to 'sleep' they were allowed to survive on their own until the "Cold War" of the Sin Wars happened. Obviously the Prime Evils had no intention of leaving humanity uncorrupted, and the Heavens retaliated by helping found Zakarum and helping the Horadrim.

The choice between Heaven and Hell is pretty clear. At worst with heaven, they nuke you from orbit and you die. With the demons? Oh they'll just torture you murderously for all eternity while corrupting your essence and mind fucking you into their slave.

You need to have some basic comparison between the 'dickishness' of heaven and hell in Diablo. One is not as bad as the other, and some angels are interested in helping humanity.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

I was just trying to answer the question of "why are so many people complaining about the RMAH?" from the perspective of a seller. You've gone off and argued completely valid points, but from an entirely different perspective.

The RMAH is the focus of a lot of rabble at this point, because really all that is known concretely is the fee structure. This seemingly means the people who want to be sellers are the only people who are really talking/complaining about it at this point.

Also I think the reality of it is starting to set in with some people.

I have no doubt when the RMAH thing was announced there were a lot of people out there dreaming of playing D3 and supporting themselves or something crazy like that (maybe not that extreme, but you get my point). Now that the sugarplums and fairies have stopped dancing in their heads and they've come down to earth, there's a sense of disappointment that, yeah, probably not gonna be paying the bills playing D3. And the 15% transaction fee just probably hammers that into the ground even more for some, hence people getting more disillusioned about it and complaining.

Personally, I'm not sure I'm convinced the RMAH is going to end up being used for anything except the high ticket super rares, before too long, and that aside from that 99% of what you want will just be bought in the gold AH. We shall see though. Gold sellers for MMO's and such work because they are single points of purchase for a commodity that is not readily available, publicly (to buy with cash). Shifting that to a market where everyone is selling to a still relatively small market of people willing to pay cash, and I'm not sure it can sustain itself; not with minimum listing fees anyway.

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular

Personally, I'm not sure I'm convinced the RMAH is going to end up being used for anything except the high ticket super rares, before too long, and that aside from that 99% of what you want will just be bought in the gold AH.

Yeah, I don't see people buying any blues or craftings mats (you can just de blues) with money. Just them really good rares with the right combo of stats.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    The RMAH information proves that Blizzard is staffed by goblins.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    r3QQr.jpg
    Wait, what?

I assume the character wasn't restricted to the being in scale with the distances used for skills because who cares.

Oh and:
    Screw being fair. I wanna hear some throwback dialog between Tim the Mighty Barbarian and Deckard Cain reminiscing their previous encounters.

"Remember that time I told you about the Horadric Cube! ...Mmph, those were good times. Quite a treasure you had there. ...mmph."

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    TrystenTrysten Registered User regular

Try a Demon Hunter. I found them to be the most noob-friendly.

QZ7MPEE7FX.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    forty wrote: »
    The RMAH information proves that Blizzard is staffed by goblins.

Like Gringotts?

236px-Gringotts_Goblins.jpg

Trysten wrote: »

Try a Demon Hunter. I found them to be the most noob-friendly.

I'd have to disagree, I think you have to kite and know how to attack move for the early levels of DH. Once you get some gear though it is really easy, but the same can be said about all the classes.

I'd say roll a Barb or Wizard for ez123 kind of destruction from level 1.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    None of the classes are fundamentally hard to play at level 1.

But you are going to see more flash earlier with the Barbarian and Wizard. Really just pick the class whose aesthetic you like most.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Nitpicking; I would weigh gameplay style/preference over aesthetics, but that might just be me being a function over form kinda guy.

Like, it doesn't matter how good the wizard looks if you hate playing ranged classes.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Although interestingly enough the wizard has a bunch of skills that would make a melee focus not only feasible but pretty viable.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Who would have thought that a show on MTV about sock puppets would be so fucking funny. God, I miss that show.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Although interestingly enough the wizard has a bunch of skills that would make a melee focus not only feasible but pretty viable.

Yes, though presumably that will require runes that are only available in later levels/difficulties.

Out of the box, the Wizard is a ranged class, and I wouldn't recommend someone who hated ranged classes playing one on the hopes that the variant build that's available at 20 or 30 or 40 or whenever was their cup of tea when monks and barbarians are perfectly viable melee classes from level 1.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Nitpicking; I would weigh gameplay style/preference over aesthetics, but that might just be me being a function over form kinda guy.

Like, it doesn't matter how good the wizard looks if you hate playing ranged classes.

I think this is a pretty good way to approach it. Similarly, if walking over to things and bashing them bores you, the Barbarian isn't going to change your mind.

Melee vs Ranged is a good place to start.

• Options
    In other news, I heard that you can't earn more than a max of $100 Blizzard Bucks without an authenticator. I just downloaded the android app on my phone and it's actually kind of neat how it works. The only problem I have with it, is that it's one more thing I need to enter before I can play damned games. I guess the security is worth it because my password has been hacked before for my low tier WoW gear.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    In other news, I heard that you can't earn more than a max of $100 Blizzard Bucks without an authenticator. I just downloaded the android app on my phone and it's actually kind of neat how it works. The only problem I have with it, is that it's one more thing I need to enter before I can play damned games. I guess the security is worth it because my password has been hacked before for my low tier WoW gear.

You don't have to authenticate at every log in if it's from the same IP. It only like once every couple of weeks now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BolognaOniBolognaOni Registered User regular
    I think most of the initial rage at the RMAH was from the always-online requirement that feature inevitably brings to the game. Most of us have stable net connections, but I have had trouble with chronic DSL line dropping in the past, and it makes online gaming very frustrating. At this point I think those people have given up and are no longer present from most serious discussions about the game, but I'm sure there will be a bevy of one-star amazon reviews and whatnot.

At the moment, most of the RMAH rage seems to be from the fees, and the fact that Bnet-bucks seem fairly useless at this point. Personally I am really interested to see how the whole thing pans out, even if at the moment I have no plans to use the RMAH, the fact that you can buy gold on there means that essentially everything in the game is going to have a real dollar value to it. Where that dollar value ends up is of real interest to this armchair observer.

This discussion has been closed.