As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Trysten wrote: »
    Roe wrote: »
    Incindium wrote: »
    mr_mich wrote: »
    NewEgg is doing $10 off physical preorders with coupon code EMCNFJC22.

Anyone preordered games from NewEgg before? Do they deliver them on release day or a couple days after?

I'm pretty sure they're shipping on the 15th, so you'll be a couple days behind. Up to you whether that's worth $10 or not. Personally I'm going digital.

The box and physical copy are what I'm after. Digital is nice, but wouldn't you get a digital copy you can redownload after you combined your cd key with your blizzard account?

I want to play at exactly 12:01am on the 15th, so I am buying digital and pre-downloading. The physical box is nice, but my impatience outweighs my desire for a box.

What about gamestop's midnight opening?

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That works out to be past 12:01am, possibly by a lot. I hope all the issues hit then and are sorted out by morning.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    If I wasn't getting a CE, I'd be going digital. To get a regular edition in a box is basically box art nastalgia, which is totally okay, just not something I care about. I have game cases, RPG books, Warmachine books, CE's and random geek crap to fill several storage areas.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SvevinSvevin Registered User regular

Anyone preordered games from NewEgg before? Do they deliver them on release day or a couple days after?

I'm pretty sure they're shipping on the 15th, so you'll be a couple days behind. Up to you whether that's worth $10 or not. Personally I'm going digital.

The box and physical copy are what I'm after. Digital is nice, but wouldn't you get a digital copy you can redownload after you combined your cd key with your blizzard account?

I want to play at exactly 12:01am on the 15th, so I am buying digital and pre-downloading. The physical box is nice, but my impatience outweighs my desire for a box.

12:01am is an impossibility. I have the digital copy pre-downloaded. You cannot install until release date. You were probably just exaggerating on that statement though.

steam_sig.png
  • TrystenTrysten Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Online retailers that you buy a physical copy from should so give you your key ahead of time...

Considering the keys are inside the box, that wouldn't really be possible.

QZ7MPEE7FX.jpg
    It's not impossible, just opens them up to more legal red tape and maybe lawsuits. So in that sense, yeah, not going to happen. But they could damn well open my box up RIGHT NOW and gimme the damn key! :P

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It'd also open them up to risk where someone cancels their order after receiving the code, at which point they're left holding a box they can't resell, assuming the box and emailed code were one and the same.

I guess Blizzard themselves might be able to do it; order from them directly, they ship you the box and email you a code, if you rescind the order at the last moment, they say fine and cancel the emailed code.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    If they charged you for opening the box and blah blah. Not going to happen, yeah, I was just forgetting about my bandwidth cap and wanting the game NOW for a minute there.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    I thought I was done with the beta and couldnt stand another second, but a friend at work told me his demon hunter killed the skeleton king with rapid fire faster than any of the other classes. Given my love/hate relationship with the DH, I couldn't help but try it out.

I have to say I LOVE the skill progression for the DH so far. entangling shot at 2 and caltrops at 3 is brilliant, it has you playing like a demon hunter: sticking to range, being evasive, dropping caltrops to snare, using the snare from entangling mixed in with major dps from the impale knife. I'm liking the playstyle. this is helped by the fact that I have no gear this patch and difficulty has been increased from when I last played. Kudos to Blizzard though for nailing the skill progression from 1-3. It really nails the character's playstyle/ethos. I might be converted to the DH.

• hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    Oh goddammit Blizzard, D3 comes out a week before my exam period!

Well... It'll be a fun holidays at least :D

caltrops has a nice niche as an AOE slow since it has a way larger AOE than entangling, which has a limited number of targets, but its also PBAOE, so it doesnt have entangling's range. I like that 2 similar skills have distinct niches. I'd still like a little more from caltrops though, maybe a little damage, or a tiny stun instead of the slow. That said, I spam the shit out of it since I'm not using discipline otherwise, and its got a nice AOE.

rapid fire isnt doing a ton of damage yet. the starter 3 dps hand crossbow is NOT cutting it. I may swap it back out for impale

this game is actually legitimately tougher now: I have to kite and I don't one shot everything as I did before the difficulty buff. Makes it more engaging, but its a bit of a grind without the gear for it. I wonder if it'd be too tough for complete newbies to the genre.

• SkabSkab Registered User regular
    valiance wrote: »
    caltrops has a nice niche as an AOE slow since it has a way larger AOE than entangling, which has a limited number of targets, but its also PBAOE, so it doesnt have entangling's range. I like that 2 similar skills have distinct niches. I'd still like a little more from caltrops though, maybe a little damage, or a tiny stun instead of the slow. That said, I spam the shit out of it since I'm not using discipline otherwise, and its got a nice AOE.

rapid fire isnt doing a ton of damage yet. the starter 3 dps hand crossbow is NOT cutting it. I may swap it back out for impale

this game is actually legitimately tougher now: I have to kite and I don't one shot everything as I did before the difficulty buff. Makes it more engaging, but its a bit of a grind without the gear for it. I wonder if it'd be too tough for complete newbies to the genre.

Go to The Fence and buy two better 1h cross bows. If he doesnt have a good one the first time, just keep checking. I always see him with 16+ dps ones.

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2012
    Skab wrote: »

Go to The Fence and buy two better 1h cross bows. If he doesnt have a good one the first time, just keep checking. I always see him with 16+ dps ones.

gave it a try but no 1hcrossbows on offer. not cutting it for level 6+. i switched out to a 2 handed short bow with 7.7 DPS. still crap, but better than 3+ DPS

its crazy that I have to shop for gear in act 1. this difficulty bump was no joke. id be fine if I could use melee weapons, but DH is so restricted in her weapon choices.

man the early DH has NOTHING in the way of AOE. Its sorta rough actually. After the entangling arrow/caltrops setup im just fiending for a nice juicy AOE nuke to drop on the snared mobs and I dont have one :(

blacksmith crafting moved to after you get the crown? booo! I need that crafting now!

do grenades or bola require a bow? if not I'm totally making an amazon at some point: DH with shield and javelin. or an assassin! melee DH! totally depends on specific gear/skill interactions though.

I just now noticed the knife sticking in the enemy when you use impale. neat!

man my hatred use waaaay outpaces my generation. guess thats good design

holy crap! nearly died killing chancellor aemon. tons of skellies and accidentally woke him before clearing them out. popped two potions, ran after 2 errant health globes, and kited him all the way back to the entrance of the level. finally popped him and dinged 7 right by the stairs. whew!

valiance on

gave it a try but no 1hcrossbows on offer. not cutting it for level 6+. i switched out to a 2 handed short bow with 7.7 DPS. still crap, but better than 3+ DPS

its crazy that I have to shop for gear in act 1. this difficulty bump was no joke. id be fine if I could use melee weapons, but DH is so restricted in her weapon choices.

man the early DH has NOTHING in the way of AOE. Its sorta rough actually. After the entangling arrow/caltrops setup im just fiending for a nice juicy AOE nuke to drop on the snared mobs and I dont have one :(

blacksmith crafting moved to after you get the crown? booo! I need that crafting now!

do grenades or bola require a bow? if not I'm totally making an amazon at some point: DH with shield and javelin. or an assassin! melee DH! totally depends on specific gear/skill interactions though.

holy crap! nearly died killing chancellor aemon. tons of skellies and accidentally woke him before clearing them out. popped two potions, ran after 2 errant health globes, and kited him all the way back to the entrance of the level. finally popped him and dinged 7 right by the stairs. whew!

You sound like you're having entirely too much fun.

QZ7MPEE7FX.jpg
    edited April 2012

:D yeah. not at all what I expected. thought I was fed up with this beta. clearly the opposite.

I'm not crazy right? They made this thing hard all of a sudden?

I'm running around like a madman grabbing health orbs trying to flee a teleporting sparkbat boss while picking off skeleton summoners with impale and somehow keeping the skeletal horde and unburied at my heels at bay with caltrops and entangling shot. its nutso! way more difficult (and way more fun) than I remembered.

god I need a good weapon so badly. (EDIT: 11.9 DPS shortbow of winter is the answer to my prayers, thank you treasure goblin)

maybe the DH is just weak early on without AOE?

anyone else try a DH first with no twinked gear or anything?

Or am I just bad?

also: this game needs a "run without attacking" button. whatever the inverse of shift is. playing a ranged character running through hordes to get health globes is gonna be hard without it.

valiance on

:D yeah. not at all what I expected. thought I was fed up with this beta. clearly the opposite.

I'm running around like a madman grabbing health orbs trying to flee a teleporting sparkbat boss while picking off skeleton summoners with impale and somehow keeping the skeletal horde and unburied at my heels at bay with caltrops and entangling shot. its nutso! way more difficult (and way more fun) than I remembered. god I need a good weapon so badly.

Or am I just bad?

also: this game needs a "run without attacking" button. whatever the inverse of shift is. playing a ranged character running through hordes to get health globes is gonna be hard without it.

I'm guessing DH is probably just weak early. I watched Force clear the beta solo with 3 party members sitting at spawn so the monsters all had a crap ton of HP. He was also on hardcore mode.

QZ7MPEE7FX.jpg
    edited April 2012

I'm running around like a madman grabbing health orbs trying to flee a teleporting sparkbat boss while picking off skeleton summoners with impale and somehow keeping the skeletal horde and unburied at my heels at bay with caltrops and entangling shot. its nutso! way more difficult (and way more fun) than I remembered. god I need a good weapon so badly.

Or am I just bad?

I'm guessing DH is probably just weak early. I watched Force clear the beta solo with 3 party members sitting at spawn so the monsters all had a crap ton of HP. He was also on hardcore mode.

with what character? and no twinked gear?

---

watching cold damage propagate down my entangling arrow chain warms the cockles of my heart

also, I suspect runed entangling arrow can serve as a poor man's AOE with its increase to 4 targets affected. still want an AOE hatred spender I guess bola at 11 or chakram at 12

valiance on
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Keep going back to him. Shop keepers change out their inventory every so often even while in the same game (I usually check every time i head back to town and its different). Got some 17.5 dps ones from him not long ago. Plus he sells rings, which if you get a couple of Keen rings of Slaughter, (dmg and as) you'll be hitting like a truck in no time.

steam_sig.png
    Keep going back to him. Shop keepers change out their inventory every so often even while in the same game (I usually check every time i head back to town and its different). Got some 17.5 dps ones from him not long ago. Plus he sells rings, which if you get a couple of Keen rings of Slaughter, (dmg and as) you'll be hitting like a truck in no time.

will do, thanks!

got a decent bow from the treasure goblin and another good one (plus a quiver) from jondar (who was waaaay tougher than I remember, with tons of summons all of a sudden) so I'm ok for a bit.

tried to rush to leoric after a 5 min warning of an impending server shutdown. died in the skeleton spawning room. really feeling the lack of AOE there.

aaaand server shutdown just as I reached leoric. :(

• Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Yeah I haven't noticed any spike in difficulty, you might have just gotten unlucky in item drops.

Are you guys going to be playing single or multi-player for your first play through? At this point I'm not sure if my friends are going to be buying it day 1, so I'll probably be playing single player. People skipping dialogue or rushing through new areas is not something I want to deal with on a first run.

Though playing with a full group is pretty fun v.v

I'll be cooping with my brother most likely. He'll be a Witch Doctor who's job it is to wear all the Magic Find gear and throw all his pets and himself between me and all the things mad at me for blowing them up on my Wizard.

• Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    I got into the beta but when I try to log on I get an error 12, saying that my battle.net does not have a D3 beta license or something like that. With the beta ending in a few days as well, this is the cruelest joke. I've waited for that beta for so long!

steam_sig.png
    Yeah I haven't noticed any spike in difficulty, you might have just gotten unlucky in item drops.

Are you guys going to be playing single or multi-player for your first play through? At this point I'm not sure if my friends are going to be buying it day 1, so I'll probably be playing single player. People skipping dialogue or rushing through new areas is not something I want to deal with on a first run.

I have a feeling:
    1. my drops sucked and
    2. the DH is weak because she has no AOE before level 11 or so.

here's that video Trysten mentioned: solo clear of act 1 on hardcore with 3 other people in the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDeZyZQ5mwA
    I imagine that'd be tougher on the DH because of the lack of AOE and stun (on the other hand you have shittons of slows, so you'd likely get the job done eventually)

I think I've come around on the DH. even though she was weak she was a lot of fun. I'll even accept this dual resource nonsense; when forced to use defensive abilities, the discipline/hatred split kinda makes sense :P

I may have to go back and play the other characters when servers are back up

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hum, something i noticed playing with the calculator. Is fire damage the rare monster resistance now? Almost every skill has that kind of damage as the highest level rune you can add to it, which is kind of ass backwards compared to diablo 2 where everything was immune to fire.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • NamonNamon Registered User regular
    This game is so so fun. Finally got to play it and the Barb was cool, and I'm going to run through all the classes but the WD as it doesn't appeal to me at all. I need to like this game as I really just want to play a game and slay monsters and collect my loot. Kind of tired of the endless quests of MMO's. The only thing I noticed is the latency was real wonky for me last night, I got spoiled by SWTOR who is always under 100 for my 4g connection whereas Diablo would jump to red every once and a while and climb back to green.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Just a question to other people playing the Beta, most of the classes seem to be skill specific instead of weapon specific in terms of damage. Anyone have an idea of how weapon damage works with skills? In D2 they had a screen showing your damage range with the skills you were using and it changed with the weapon you were weilding, is there something similiar in D3?

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Just a question to other people playing the Beta, most of the classes seem to be skill specific instead of weapon specific in terms of damage. Anyone have an idea of how weapon damage works with skills? In D2 they had a screen showing your damage range with the skills you were using and it changed with the weapon you were weilding, is there something similiar in D3?

Every skill does some percentage of weapon damage. If you turn on Advanced Tooltips in the options, it will tell you what it is.

captaink wrote: »

Every skill does some percentage of weapon damage. If you turn on Advanced Tooltips in the options, it will tell you what it is.

Wonderful! Thank you!

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    We, we, we so excite.

I think I'm going to work on the 15th to give proper time for my CE to show up and then take off the 16th as my play day.

People won't have beaten the game thrice over and hit 60 yet......right?

We, we, we so excite.

I think I'm going to work on the 15th to give proper time for my CE to show up and then take off the 16th as my play day.

People won't have beaten the game thrice over and hit 60 yet......right?

I always expect people to play 24/7 the second the game comes out to be the first to be max level, but I'm sure you won't be too far behind.

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular

I have been on the sidelines of D3, casually observing at a distance, but I thought there was no "single/multi" mode; you're online all the time and friends can jump in and out as they please? And that characters are shared between the modes, so you don't need separate characters for each (a la D2)?

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

Wonderful! Thank you!

When they added the simplified tooltips, I can see why they defaulted to them being on. But I feel like it has caused more problems than it solved.

I have been on the sidelines of D3, casually observing at a distance, but I thought there was no "single/multi" mode; you're online all the time and friends can jump in and out as they please? And that characters are shared between the modes, so you don't need separate characters for each (a la D2)?

It seems like you can make games public or not. So if you don't make the game public you're in the game alone. It's not a single player character but you aren't forced to play with other people if you don't want to

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    Is there a list of people on the forums who are in beta? Ive been in it a while but never really played more than 10min of it. I want to start playing a few classes before the beta ends (no plans on buying the game, go GW2!) and wouldnt mind people to play with.

My Battle.net account - [email protected] and STEAM (usually always on) Hell_Rell, im usually on at night on weekdays and whenever on weekends.

Sterica on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

It seems like you can make games public or not. So if you don't make the game public you're in the game alone. It's not a single player character but you aren't forced to play with other people if you don't want to

Here's what happens. You make your character, and you're shown a menu. From that menu you can start the game by either:
    A) Start a game by yourself, which is private by default. There are options in the "ESC" menu that allow you to make it public for friends only or the general public.
    B) Join a game from a list filtered by what quest and level the host is on.
    Or C) quickplay which matchmakes you with someone of the same quest/level as your current character and joins their public game.

Arena isn't in beta so not sure how that's going to work.

KoopahTroopah on

Here's what happens. You make your character, and you're shown a menu. From that menu you can start the game by either:
    A) Start a game by yourself, which is private by default. There are options in the "ESC" menu that allow you to make it public for friends only or the general public.
    Or C) quickplay which matchmakes you with someone of the same quest/level as your current character and joins their public game.

I thought Arena wasn't going to be available at release either right? I've only played a quick match, it worked well. I think you can port to other players by clicking on their sigil but I'm not 100% sure about it.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    hrrmm, what happens for you guys if you run the full game installer now? When I initially preordered, it would download everything, then try to install and say the game wasn't out yet. Now when I try it, it checks the download (which is already finished) and once that bar is finished closes...

ahh, nevermind, it just took a while.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
    edited April 2012

I thought Arena wasn't going to be available at release either right? I've only played a quick match, it worked well. I think you can port to other players by clicking on their sigil but I'm not 100% sure about it.

Yeah Arena will be MIA on release, but I expect only like a month or so between release and PvP day. Still unsure why they won't let us test it in beta though.

Quickplay is alright, I got matched to level 4-5s as a 13 before though, and yeah your customized sigil is placed into one of the four corners of the waypoint in town. You can click on it and it teleports you to wherever the player is in that act.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »

I believe what's happening is that some people were able to log into a starter edition of the game, even if they didn't have beta access. It looks like some sort of free trial. Battle.net went down for maintenance shortly after this happened to "resolve an issue." Chances are, it was a bug. I don't think Blizzard ever does fully open betas.

This discussion has been closed.