As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Bashiok is qouted saying you can get your cd key back if you upgrade, but you will need to contact support.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I heard the co-op story mode is max four players. This sucks because we are 5 close friends who all want to play this.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I heard the co-op story mode is max four players. This sucks because we are 5 close friends who all want to play this.

Only 4 players per game. There is no distinction between a solo or coop game, it's drop in drop out. It's online only which should be said frequently with all this new blood.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah I know, but just sucks a bit that we won't be able to play all together.

But the extended multiplayer modes support more than 4 players right?

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Honk wrote: »
    But the extended multiplayer modes support more than 4 players right?

I don't think those are a thing, actually.

EDIT: Well, PVP will be patched in after launch, but I'd be very surprised if it supports more than four players on a team.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I don't know what you mean by "extended multiplayer modes", but there is no way to play the game coop with more than 4 players.

PvP arenas will support up to 4v4, which is still 4 to a team.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Okay so, I've never played any of the Diablo games before. I have played Torchlight and WoW, so I'm familiar with the concept of "click click click=loot loot loot". I had access to the D3 beta, but only played for about an hour (had too many other games to focus on at the time).

I'm just wondering what there is to look forward to, basically, with the overall game. Is it simply a case of "accept quest, click monsters to death, collect loot"? Or does it run much deeper than that?

I'm also curious about what kind of multiplayer features it has. Are there any benefits to playing with other people, like loot or levels carrying over? I'm thinking this is like WoW without monthly fees, but again having never played other Diablo games I may not be fully aware of the appeal here.

Lastly, do I need to read up on any Diablo lore or timeline to understand D3? Are there perhaps YouTube summaries or other such videos?

I may most likely nab this on launch day, since I'm well aware of Blizzard's presentation, and it sounds like it'll be both lengthy and easy to pick up and play. I would just like to get more personal input on the game so I can weigh my hype accordingly (basically to raise it from "interested" to "holy shit why won't these days go any faster?").

As for lore, these videos, while somewhat long winded, do get it across. The first is sort of "Book canon" which got established after D1 and 2, then toddles through the games til the events of D3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ghu8RzsWvs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg5EhW_ac5g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGowVF4x6H8

The whole drop in, drop out system is really very well done. In the main game menu you're free to select whichever quest you like, provided that you have completed it, see how many players are on that quest, and join a party with an open slot. Critters scale to match however many players are active. When you're in, you can teleport via banners arrayed around the town waypoint to whichever player you like.

One nice feature is that you can, at any time after unlocking the ability, portal back to town and teleport to a player again. They don't need to wait if you're busy with town stuff, and if you get separated you can always regroup easily. The way the game is designed players will occasionally take different turns as they look for level stairwells, gates, portals and doorways, so it is very nice not to need to hoof it clear across the map if you chose poorly.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Just watched those lore videos for the first time. So Diablo 2 happens just weeks after 1? Did not know that.

Is it known how long time has passed between 2 and 3?

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So, there've been some new developments in regard to that whole "Player Names vs BattleTags" thing. Have we discussed this already? Essentially, people were complaining that in the Beta, only your BattleTag ("ducks", in my case) showed up above your head - it never showed others the actual name you gave your character. Bashiok, one of the official D3 CMs, came out and said, "You've been heard!" and explained that player names would be seen in multiplayer, and that BattleTags would just be used as an overarching account identifier.

Turns out, that's not the case. It's been confirmed that your BattleTag will be what people see in-game 99% of the time (if you activate a quest or something, it'll show your character's name in the text, but who gives a shit about that?). Bashiok apologized, and said he and the other CMs miscommunicated, and that's why there's some confusion. Another CM came out and said not to worry, because your character names will be seen in all sorts of places, like the character selection screen (lol wtf, seriously?), quest text, etc.

I mean, great, I guess? The one and only place I care about my character's name showing up, though, is over my goddamned head. I hate the idea that I'll always just be "ducks". I mean, don't get me wrong: I know that's what people who know me are going to call me anyway, but what's the point in even creating a name if nobody's ever going to see it but you?

I'm not one of those people who's saying this "ruins" Diablo 3 multiplayer, or anything silly like that, but it's certainly dumb. It would be like, if you had a unique character name in WoW, but all anyone else ever saw above your head was your account name.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Here's a question I have. Maybe someone already knows?

Basically, there's a pair of WoW addicts in the family who aren't going to use their Diablo 3 keys/game that they got from the "buy a year of WoW, get a buncha' stuff and Diablo 3 free!" promotional. Are there any means by which to shift those games between accounts? Are those bonus copies of Diablo 3 now forever tied to that account? It would sure be great to use them.

• Options
    I don't know for certain, but I feel pretty confident in saying that they'd be tied to their accounts, yeah.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I think the bottom line is they thought that showing the person's account alias rather than the character's name was more useful, and it's pretty hard to argue with that. In WoW character names are more important because of the greater proclivity for roleplaying and the way socializing works in that game. In a game like Diablo it kind of makes more sense to just have a general identifier, and your character name then becomes a bit like item dyes and personal flair. Especially considering the lower time investment per character and likelihood that most people will be running a full stable of alts.

I'm more bothered by the semi-permanence of your battletag name than I am by the fact that it's going to be the primary identifier. Better pick a name you like because you'll probably never get to change it again, and if you do it will probably cost money because Blizzard loves to gouge for that kind of shit.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I think the bottom line is they thought that showing the person's account alias rather than the character's name was more useful, and it's pretty hard to argue with that. In WoW character names are more important because of the greater proclivity for roleplaying and the way socializing works in that game. In a game like Diablo it kind of makes more sense to just have a general identifier, and your character name then becomes a bit like item dyes and personal flair.

I'm more bothered by the semi-permanence of your battletag name than I am by the fact that it's going to be the primary identifier. Better pick a name you like because you'll probably never get to change it for free again.

I don't know about everyone else and obviously this is anecdotal but I use the same name pretty much everywhere. Also makes it easier to identify people from forums in other games etc.

Honestly find it a bit weird when people have a different name for forums/steam/battletag etc but obviously personal preference and all that.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Here's a question I have. Maybe someone already knows?

Basically, there's a pair of WoW addicts in the family who aren't going to use their Diablo 3 keys/game that they got from the "buy a year of WoW, get a buncha' stuff and Diablo 3 free!" promotional. Are there any means by which to shift those games between accounts? Are those bonus copies of Diablo 3 now forever tied to that account? It would sure be great to use them.

It might be possible to use their login information to play Diablo and not interrupt their WoW playing or whatever, but as far as actually moving those licenses to another account, 100% no.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    I'm more bothered by the semi-permanence of your battletag name than I am by the fact that it's going to be the primary identifier. Better pick a name you like because you'll probably never get to change it again, and if you do it will probably cost money because Blizzard loves to gouge for that kind of shit.

You can change it once for free, on your Battle.Net account page. After that, I'm sure they charge you.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The BattleTag thing's just irritating, to be honest. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I always take some time to think about what I'm going to name my characters. A buddy of mine intends to name his Diablo 3 Barbarian the same thing he named his Diablo 2 Barbarian, because he wants it to be the same guy. I mean, I just don't get the point of assigning a character a name if nobody ever sees it but you. It's like, they could give us the option of selecting the hero's blood type, but who gives a shit?

Again, it's not something that's going to ruin the game for me. I get why they've gone in that direction; I just think it's dumb. Hopefully, we'll have the ability to personalize items in Diablo 3 like we could at the end of Diablo 2. At least my name could appear on my equipment, if not on myself.

[edit] It's especially dumb because your BattleTag would be what appears in Battle.Net, right? Once we get into a game, my character's actual name should be what appears over my head. And maybe if you mouse over my portrait or something, it says my BattleTag. That would make a lot more sense.

I'm not saying that BattleTags shouldn't be around at all - just that they should be in addition to player names, at the very least.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Don't know if this was mentioned, but you can purchase the digital copy, and after upgrading that to the CE edition they will give you your cd key back from the original. So you can essentially give/sell it to a friend who wants the game and you'll get your money back and also get to play the moment servers go up. This requires you to have a friend who isn't playing on day 1.
    Is there an official source for that anywhere? My cousin ordered the CE, but with it being shipped internationally, he's not liking his chances of receiving it on time. If the digital key can be returned after, that would be awesome, but he'd want to be extra sure before throwing the extra money down......

EDIT: Ooop, nevermind, found it - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4175421603?page=2#24

For those of you with the CE, just keep in mind Bashiok's key language
    Alternatively, you can get the digital version now, play right at midnight, overwrite your license with your CE when you pick it up, and then contact our support department. In most situations they'll be able to grant you a new standard key, which you can then give to a friend, or whatever.

So there's a qualifier, and no guarantee you'll get a new key. And of course, this isn't a direct refund; you'll have to find someone else who doesn't have a CD Key so you can sell it to them.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Don't know if this was mentioned, but you can purchase the digital copy, and after upgrading that to the CE edition they will give you your cd key back from the original. So you can essentially give/sell it to a friend who wants the game and you'll get your money back and also get to play the moment servers go up. This requires you to have a friend who isn't playing on day 1.
    Is there an official source for that anywhere? My cousin ordered the CE, but with it being shipped internationally, he's not liking his chances of receiving it on time. If the digital key can be returned after, that would be awesome, but he'd want to be extra sure before throwing the extra money down......

EDIT: Ooop, nevermind, found it - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4175421603?page=2#24

Alternatively, you can get the digital version now, play right at midnight, overwrite your license with your CE when you pick it up, and then contact our support department. In most situations they'll be able to grant you a new standard key, which you can then give to a friend, or whatever.

So there's a qualifier, and no guarantee you'll get a new key. And of course, this isn't a direct refund; you'll have to find someone else who doesn't have a CD Key so you can sell it to them.

Anyone who has dealt with a Blizzard forum CM since around Vanilla WoW knows that they slip those qualifiers into everything they say, so that they can more easily backpedal when someone calls them on it. It's part of their required job skillset at this point.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah the phrase "in most situations" is what makes me worry.

• Options
    You guys can keep casting bones and trying to divine whether or not Bashiok was correct about redeeming an extra key, or you could maybe try emailing support directly and get a real answer.

If I was in that situation I would probably put down the chicken blood and do that.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Donnicton wrote: »

Anyone who has dealt with a Blizzard forum CM since around Vanilla WoW knows that they slip those qualifiers into everything they say, so that they can more easily backpedal when someone calls them on it. It's part of their required job skillset at this point.

Pretty much. It's especially salient since Bashiok is Drysc, the vanilla-era Rogue CM for WoW.

He's been around long enough to know what he's doing.
    Give me swirly ball or give me death!

milk ducks on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Gabe and Tycho feel our pain.

i-hCgs8pG-X2.jpg

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

I suspect he meant, "If you're trying to redeem the key from an annual pass, f off."

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    The BattleTag thing's just irritating, to be honest. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I always take some time to think about what I'm going to name my characters. A buddy of mine intends to name his Diablo 3 Barbarian the same thing he named his Diablo 2 Barbarian, because he wants it to be the same guy. I mean, I just don't get the point of assigning a character a name if nobody ever sees it but you. It's like, they could give us the option of selecting the hero's blood type, but who gives a shit?

Again, it's not something that's going to ruin the game for me. I get why they've gone in that direction; I just think it's dumb. Hopefully, we'll have the ability to personalize items in Diablo 3 like we could at the end of Diablo 2. At least my name could appear on my equipment, if not on myself.

[edit] It's especially dumb because your BattleTag would be what appears in Battle.Net, right? Once we get into a game, my character's actual name should be what appears over my head. And maybe if you mouse over my portrait or something, it says my BattleTag. That would make a lot more sense.

I'm not saying that BattleTags shouldn't be around at all - just that they should be in addition to player names, at the very least.

I'm with you almost completely on this. I planned on naming my first demon hunter Dean Winchester. But since it is a reference to DH, I obviously don't want to have that be my bettletag. But if no one sees it but me, it kind of loses it cleverness IMO.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna name all my characters Koopah anyway.

Except the Barb.....his name is Tim.

• Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    You guys can keep casting bones and trying to divine whether or not Bashiok was correct about redeeming an extra key, or you could maybe try emailing support directly and get a real answer.

If I was in that situation I would probably put down the chicken blood and do that.

Witchdoctor spell?

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular

You bring sunshine to my day.

IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    james denoiljames denoil Registered User new member
    i dont like frisbiedss

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I don't know why anyone would be interested because it's going to spoil the whole game for yourself, but I will be streaming my whole first playthrough on Normal from whenever I get home on Tuesday afternoon well into Wednesday morning EST. It'll be a solo DH run.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    Noggin wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I suspect he meant, "If you're trying to redeem the key from an annual pass, f off."

You're probably right.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Just watched those lore videos for the first time. So Diablo 2 happens just weeks after 1? Did not know that.

Is it known how long time has passed between 2 and 3?

I believe it's ~20 years. One major NPC was born after the events of D2, and they're in their 20's at most.

Also, I broke down/rose up and did it. CE cancelled, going Digital. I'll be on the front lines as soon as possible (but I'm not staying up until 3am EST, that's for damned sure. Just tempting fate for there to be server issues pushing login back until 4 or 5...pm)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    I don't know who's been updating the title of this thread for the last few weeks, but unless you're in some far-flung timezone over in upside-down land, the countdown has been a day too low for like 14 straight days.

I only mention this because hnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggghhhhhhhh

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I also don't like the BattleTag being displayed in-game for security reasons. Namely, if I'm walking around as a L60 and splashing gold at the peasants, flashing my sweet Sword of Swordening, someone's going to say "Oh, look at this mr_mich guy, I should try and log in as him!"

Granted, I have an authenticator, but this doesn't exactly play nicely with the discussion a dozen pages back about Blizzard's stupid password matching policies.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Griswold wrote: »
    I don't know who's been updating the title of this thread for the last few weeks, but unless you're in some far-flung timezone over in upside-down land, the countdown has been a day too low for like 14 straight days.

We've had this conversation before. What did we decide? Do you just not count today? Anyway, even though the game comes out on the 15th, I kind of feel like it's actually the night of the 14th, since that's when we'll be doing our pre-installs and actually jumping in. I mean, obviously, we have to wait until the 15th rolls around on the clock, but it's not like we're sleeping or anything.

Maybe that's what the thread title's referring to, anyway: 5 more sleeps until Diablo 3.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    12AM PST though. I'm not going to start my gaming session at 3AM EST. I've done this for other games and usually don't get to playing until like an hour or two afterwards considering download time, server congestion, etc.

Why doesn't Blizz just roll it out based on the address you specify in your bnet account, or your IP. Fuck you west coasters!

• Options
    mr_mich wrote: »
    12AM PST though. I'm not going to start my gaming session at 3AM EST. I've done this for other games and usually don't get to playing until like an hour or two afterwards considering download time, server congestion, etc.

Why doesn't Blizz just roll it out based on the address you specify in your bnet account, or your IP. Fuck you west coasters!

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    I also don't like the BattleTag being displayed in-game for security reasons. Namely, if I'm walking around as a L60 and splashing gold at the peasants, flashing my sweet Sword of Swordening, someone's going to say "Oh, look at this mr_mich guy, I should try and log in as him!"

Granted, I have an authenticator, but this doesn't exactly play nicely with the discussion a dozen pages back about Blizzard's stupid password matching policies.

Can you actually log into anything B.net related with your BattleTag? I thought you had to use your B.net email.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Griswold wrote: »

We've had this conversation before. What did we decide? Do you just not count today? Anyway, even though the game comes out on the 15th, I kind of feel like it's actually the night of the 14th, since that's when we'll be doing our pre-installs and actually jumping in. I mean, obviously, we have to wait until the 15th rolls around on the clock, but it's not like we're sleeping or anything.

Maybe that's what the thread title's referring to, anyway: 5 more sleeps until Diablo 3.

My viewpoint might be skewed by my EDT-ness. But for me, I just figured 15 - 9 = 6, and that finagling it beyond that is kinda dumb.

I'd even rather have it say "137 hours" than "5 days."

EDIT: "less than 6 days" also acceptable.

Griswold on
    FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Can you actually log into anything B.net related with your BattleTag? I thought you had to use your B.net email.

You're totally right, brainfart on my part.

Still, now nobody will tremble before Bronan the Barbarian!

This discussion has been closed.