As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] Diablo walks the Earth in 5 days. Single digits omg

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    What surprised me in the little bit I played beta weekend, was how well I thought it'd control with a controller, like they almost had that in mind. The combat felt a lot like the marvel ultimate alliance games to me.

Downloaded the game in like a half hour last night. I love FiOS. Now let me install blizzard!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Yeah people are scanning the strategy guide pages and the behind the scenes DVDs from the CE apparently have some shit in them. Internet is a dangerous place until tuesday.

You mean the internet is a wonderful place.

Anyone know where I can get item spoilers like what stats/abilities the legendary items grant? I know they will update the official online guide on Monday but I heard the strategy guides may already be out/leaked.

That would be awesome. I love looking at stats!

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    disregard

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    It's not weird at all, there's more to fun gameplay than just maximizing your chance of winning the game. Different controls result in a different gameplay experience. The twin stick shooter control scheme plays very different from the single mouse controls and results in a different feel. See the endless debates about survival horror games that have added stuff like strafing, moving while firing, etc. Doing that inherently makes them more feel actiony even with no other change to the game.

And I said "aim" because there are abilities that you can cast while moving - Whirlwind, Strafe, etc - and by design there's no aiming involved.

Yeah, I'll fully admit that KB&M is the most effective controller but I'll use a 360 controller anytime I can simply because I'm so much better using that then the KB&M. So, for me, the most effective controller IS the 360 one. Sacred 2 displays that very well; I'm great at it on the 360 but on the PC I die all the damn time.

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    I can think I can feel the nerd rage radiating from my LCD when looking at the forums right now. Anyone care for s'mores?

Hell, people will complain about everything if they feel slighted in the least possible way. I remember the halo hats for people in TF2 who didn't take advantage of some exploit or something and people still complained about that.

I got in the beta and played the shit out of it longer than should reasonably be expected and contributed to beta comments and bug reports. Hell, yes, I will take some acknowledgement for that even if it's just a worthless in-game item. Haters gonna hate and I could not care less.

• Options
    LordOfTheCheeseLordOfTheCheese BF3: Scyleric Registered User regular
    Splurged out on a new RAT 7, should be here by Monday at the latest.

Feel like my 6 year old MX518 deserves a rest before the upcoming clicking deluge.

I've had some issues with my rat 7. The thing spazzes out the second it rolls over any dust or the lens gets even a little dirty. I've cleaned it with a wet q tip and that's helped a little.

Awwww don't say that, tell me how good it is instead.

I do <3 my RAT 7. Now, it does freak out if there is anything underneath it that is not a smooth surface. I also moved from a mx518 to a RAT 7 a while ago, and while normal usage I prefer the RAT 7, for prolonged usage I have to use the G500 (mx518's decedent) otherwise my hand gets some strange cramps. I keep both plugged in and available at a moments notice.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    El Guaco wrote: »
    I can think I can feel the nerd rage radiating from my LCD when looking at the forums right now. Anyone care for s'mores?

Marshmallows cooked on forum rage cause rectal cancer. Everyone knows that.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So the 100% unlock for Diablo III has been found.

Gonna post it now.

SPOILERS DAWG. LT. MAJOR SPOILERS. NOT FUCKIN ABOUT.
    You still reading?
    Cause there's spoilers!
    Kay, it's about the Angelic council beating the shit out of Diablo anime style.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I find the news post that goes along with that comic very good. Though, he's a bit late to the "never buy retail PC games again" party...I haven't bought a boxed PC game (outside of CE's) since Steam became a thing.

Well, they did make a comic about essentially the same issue 8 years ago:

215509631_GTT2K-L-2.jpg

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Thank god you posted it, manmach, we might've missed it otherwise.

reVerse on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Now I feel old.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Check the last few pages and didn't see anything on it. But hey, probably worth posting again.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Don,t really care about a Diablo story being spoiled. I'll still go through the game and watch all the conversations and cutscenes but it's certainly not the kind of gripping story that can be ruined by spoilers.

DIABLO IS BACK? God damn it I've been spoiled. This came totally out of left field! HOW WOULD I HAVE KNOWN DIABLO WOULD BE IN DIABLO III?!

The real spoiler would be if he WASN'T in the game.

• Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Check the last few pages and didn't see anything on it. But hey, probably worth posting again.

Thread moves fast these days. Was posted like 8 pages back.
    Peewi wrote: »
    Just watched those lore videos for the first time. So Diablo 2 happens just weeks after 1? Did not know that.

Is it known how long time has passed between 2 and 3?

Not sure if this got answered or not, but D3 is 20 years after D2.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Yeah people are scanning the strategy guide pages and the behind the scenes DVDs from the CE apparently have some shit in them. Internet is a dangerous place until tuesday.

You mean the internet is a wonderful place.

Anyone know where I can get item spoilers like what stats/abilities the legendary items grant? I know they will update the official online guide on Monday but I heard the strategy guides may already be out/leaked.

That would be awesome. I love looking at stats!

Until someone data mines the game the best bet is the official site come Monday.

• Options
    The Scottish UnicornThe Scottish Unicorn CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Diablo 3 looks AMAZING, but I'm just preaching to the choir here. Even so I don't plan on getting it right away, because to be honest Action/RPG's are not my type of genre. I can understand why people really enjoy the games, especially Diablo, but to me it gets way too repetitive over time. I played the beta a while back and it was good fun, but I'll wait for a sale or something before picking it up.

76561198004630058.png
  • Options
    SkabSkab Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 looks AMAZING, but I'm just preaching to the choir here. Even so I don't plan on getting it right away, because to be honest Action/RPG's are not my type of genre. I can understand why people really enjoy the games, especially Diablo, but to me it gets way too repetitive over time. I played the beta a while back and it was good fun, but I'll wait for a sale or something before picking it up.

Blizzard games? Sale?

Ahahahahahhahaha thats a good one.

Warcraft 3 Battlechest is still $40.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

Blizzard games? Sale?

This, D3 ain't getting any cheaper. Get it while the getting's good.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You'll be waiting a long time. Blizzard/Activision don't believe in sales in general. May get it down to $50 once in a awhile.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    There are some WoW subscription deals where you can snag an expansion or two for free.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Wasn't SC2 40 dollars a few weeks ago?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I bought SC2 for 29€ the day it came out. It all depends on where you shop.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Skab wrote: »

Blizzard games? Sale?

SC2 was on sale for $30 USD after thanksgiving last year.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah I remember seeing SC2 on sale as well. Pretty sure D3 had a $10 preorder discount on newegg at one point, but that's long gone too. Just look around though, I'm sure some Russian site somewhere is getting them in bulk to resell somehow.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Controller support is obviously necessary for console ports, but fundamentally it's not much different from mouse/keyboard for a shooter. One stick maps to WASD and the other stick maps to pushing the mouse around, it's the same thing.
    It's not the same thing, though. It's a different control scheme. Ask any PC FPS player ever about the difference between aiming with dual analog vs. KB/mouse. And at this point it seems like you're trying to make an argument about some subjective "degree" of difference between control schemes.
    Well, the biggest difference is that the controller is clearly a less effective control scheme than the "primary" setup of KB/M. So players handicap themselves by choice when deciding to use it. In D3 it would be the opposite, WASD enables something that isn't possible with the intended controls(aiming while moving) which makes it the "better" choice. Blizzard can either balance the game around that and make it too hard for mouse users, or vice versa, but either way WASD effectively becomes the game's predominant control scheme. Blizzard clearly doesn't like those controls for any number of reasons, such as the clunky feel of 8-direction movement, and so it's understandable they don't want that to happen. Thus, they don't include it. The responsibility of the game designer is to improve the game experience, and sometimes that means restricting choices.
    An equally valid argument could be made that mouse movement is clunky if it's actually inferior and less effective. But I think you're overestimating the strict superiority of WASD movement. My guess is that a high skill level, fast/accurate mouse user would be just as effective as a similar (hypothetical) WASD user.
    Zek wrote:
    forty wrote: »
    Zek wrote:
    WASD in Diablo on the other hand is a fundamental change in how you control your character, by separating it completely from the aiming mechanism. Diablo is designed from the ground up around mouse controls - note for example that there are no abilities that let you aim while moving. Twin stick shooter controls wouldn't feel right when every time you fire your character stops moving IMO. Technically though it would be an advantage, which means by including it they are effectively encouraging players to choose an experience they consider less fun.
    Again, none of this speaks to anything Jay actually said above. But apparently it's more fun to play with a control scheme that is actually less effective? That sounds more than a little weird.

Also, you can aim while moving. You just can't cast while moving.

It's not weird at all, there's more to fun gameplay than just maximizing your chance of winning the game. Different controls result in a different gameplay experience. The twin stick shooter control scheme plays very different from the single mouse controls and results in a different feel. See the endless debates about survival horror games that have added stuff like strafing, moving while firing, etc. Doing that inherently makes them more feel actiony even with no other change to the game.

And I said "aim" because there are abilities that you can cast while moving - Whirlwind, Strafe, etc - and by design there's no aiming involved.
    Survival horror games are an entirely different matter, though. There, gameplay isn't necessarily king. Resident Evil 4's clunky, crippled Leon gameplay was done to enhance the horror aspect of the game. In D3, though, gameplay is (supposed to be) king. It's rarely actually fun to be hamstrung by controls. "I could have won that race if not for these clumsy controls" isn't the type of response you want to evoke from players. Also, being told "no, you can't play the way you want to/the way that's more comfortable to you/etc." is a tough pill to swallow if the reasons given for it are shitty.

I said "aim" because I'm literally talking about aimed abilities. I can aim (i.e., move my mouse toward the location where I want to cast it) my Wizard's Arcane Orb while moving.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I was just thinking it would be great if someone modded in gamepad support for the game, not knowing Blizzard had already promised that feature. But it won't be available at launch? Nuts!

I hope they add it in soon, because I can see controlling my character with a gamepad being fun and potentially more engaging than clicking a spot on the ground.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    You'll be waiting a long time. Blizzard/Activision don't believe in sales in general. May get it down to $50 once in a awhile.

One of the benefits of making consistently awesome games. I remember Nintendo first-party titles used to go years without dropping more than $5-10.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I was just thinking it would be great if someone modded in gamepad support for the game, not knowing Blizzard had already promised that feature. But it won't be available at launch? Nuts!

I hope they add it in soon, because I can see controlling my character with a gamepad being fun and potentially more engaging than clicking a spot on the ground.

How do you aim meteors and blizzards with a controller?

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Right Analog Stick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular

The barb and monk would likely be okay. Something like leap could be changed to a fixed distance. In fact, I'm calling it now:

Diablo III: Melee Edition
    Coming to XBOX 360 and PS3 Spring 2013

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Right Analog Stick.

That's fine and dandy for projectiles where you just have to aim in which direction you want to shoot but for something where you have to aim at a precise spot on the ground it's going to be difficult to do in a game where monsters can be as fast as they are in D3.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Right Analog Stick. Poorly
    FTFY. *grin*
    A more sticky problem, actually, is coming up with a way to activate clickables (like bookshelves and shrine), since there's no "use" button. You'd have to add a button that can activate clickables in a radius around the character, I guess, so that's easily solved, but the game would have to support this mechanic. Which at this time, it doesn't do it natively.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

Right Analog Stick.

That's fine and dandy for projectiles where you just have to aim in which direction you want to shoot but for something where you have to aim at a precise spot on the ground it's going to be difficult to do in a game where monsters can be as fast as they are in D3.

It would be a little more difficult than just clicking in the exact spot you want it sure, but it isn't THAT difficult to sweep the zone to where you want it. Plenty of console games have used a similar system to great success.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    There have been numerous Diablo-like games that used a controller and were fine. And this is a Blizzard game. Have some faith. They'll make it work.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    There have been numerous Diablo-like games that used a controller and were fine. And this is a Blizzard game. Have some faith. They'll make it work.
    Blizzard games aren't historically known for supporting controllers on the PC. On the consoles, it's a different story, but those games are generally ports that sacrifice some of the functionality, and those changes weren't replicated on the PC versions.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ad hominidad hominid Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    I'll laugh so hard if they have the achievement for dying in Inferno be named It's Just a Flesh Wound.

"Not Hardcore Enough"

This should be the achievement for dying on hardcore at level 60.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    ad hominid wrote: »
    I'll laugh so hard if they have the achievement for dying in Inferno be named It's Just a Flesh Wound.

"Not Hardcore Enough"

Nah, it should be the achievement for dying to the final boss on inferno difficulty.

Ha, I propose a new difficulty level. ULTRA hardcore. In ultra hardcore when you die with a character of a given gender and class not only is that character deleted, but you can no longer make characters of that gender and class. So you get 2 goes per class, 10 tries total to finish Ultra Hardcore :)

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Eh, while it would be nice to have that particular Feat of Strength thing, I was already immunized from it back in my WoW days where they already gave Feats of Strengths for pointless things like logging on on a specific anniversary date or something like that. I'm never gonna get all the achievements anyway so why worry about the ones I can't ever get?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I think it's worth noting that Blizzard employees have said the game is actually really fun to play on a controller. So they've even admitted alternative control schemes can be fun...

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    tbloxham wrote: »
    ad hominid wrote: »

"Not Hardcore Enough"

Nah, it should be the achievement for dying to the final boss on inferno difficulty.

Ha, I propose a new difficulty level. ULTRA hardcore. In ultra hardcore when you die with a character of a given gender and class not only is that character deleted, but you can no longer make characters of that gender and class. So you get 2 goes per class, 10 tries total to finish Ultra Hardcore :)

Ultimate Hardcore: When your character dies, you die.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
This discussion has been closed.