As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Keg Law

Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I got in a little trouble over the weekend. Bought some alcohol for underage minors on a dry campus. Luckily, I told the truth, only people that got in trouble were me, and the room owners. Only bought a fifth of cheap vodka, and a six pack. The officer gave me a citation for the "keg law", which he states is a lesser offense then buying alcohol for a minor. I couldn't find a whole lot of information online about this law. I know the the maximum sentence is 90 days in jail (yeah right), and a 250 dollar fine. I asked some of the kids on campus, the most anyone's ever gotten was a 150 dollar fine, 6 months probation, and 10 hours of community service. Just wondering if anyone has more information on this "keg law". I've never been in trouble before, and I told the truth right off the bat, so I'm sure they'll be lenient. I just want to know what to expect.

Brucelee41042 on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    What State and county do you live in?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Seriously, these laws are very local, they are not likely even state wide, much less national or global in scope.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok, I apologize for not stating it in the first thread. It was on Northern Kentucky University campus. Which I believe is in cambell county, highland heights district.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Weird, the law is supposed for parents who host alcohol parties for their high school age kids. Was it an actually police officer or just the campus police?

Malkor on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    AFAIK, buying alcohol specifically for a minor is a serious offense. However, "keg laws" are based on buying a quantity of alcohol for a party, and minors happen to consume some with or without the knowledge of the alcohol provider or party host.

In other words, it's still illegal, but the intent is significantly reduced.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yes it was a campus police officer.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    See if there's an alcohol awareness class you can take. At my school you could do that in lieu of the fine the first time, but if you got caught again the fine jumpef to the third violation's $$$. It was all done online too. However, if you signed something agreeing to the 'dry campus' thing then you might be SoL.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm actually not a student at NKU. So i'm guessing that class might not be available for me.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    'Campbell County Fiscal Court last year approved a countywide "keg law," which makes it illegal for adults to allow alcohol to be served to minors while on the adults' property. First-time offenders face fines of up to $250 and a jail time of up to 90 days. Repeat offenders could pay $500 and go to jail for a year.'

Its just a citation, just like a parking or speeding ticket.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ok, sounds good. I really have nothing to be nervous about, I told the truth. But I do have to appear in court next monday with the room owners. I'd much rather pay fines then do community service. I really don't have the time to do so.

Brucelee41042 on
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yea, you should be fine -- thumbs up for being honest and cool about it. Cops like that :)

Show up for your hearing well dressed (suit+tie is fine!) and be polite -- you should get off with just a fine, maybe some community service :)

Herschel on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Herschel wrote: »
    Yea, you should be fine -- thumbs up for being honest and cool about it. Cops like that :)
    Cops like that because they get to screw you over royally. He got lucky in this case, but the best advice is to never admit to anything, and lawyer-up ASAP.
    Show up for your hearing well dressed (suit+tie is fine!) and be polite -- you should get off with just a fine, maybe some community service :)
    You should talk to someone in the public defender's office before your hearing.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Cops like that because they get to screw you over royally. He got lucky in this case, but the best advice is to never admit to anything, and lawyer-up ASAP.

I have also been told by police officers (both friends and family members) that you never, ever, ever admit to a damn thing. If you are pulled over going 120 in a 20mph school zone, you tell the cop you do not understand why you were pulled over.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    lol

Non-criminal Incident #2007C00461
    Reported: JAN 12 2007-Friday-1:54am
    Occurred: JAN 12 2007-Friday-1:54am
    Classification: ALCOHOL RELATED INCIDENT - Keg Law Violation
    Disposition: Closed
    Summary: While on patrol, Officers heard loud music coming from the listed location. Upon investigation, Officers could hear cans being thrown away inside the location. Officer requested that Residential Life respond to this location. Upon arrival, Residential Life personnel requested, and were granted, access to this location. Upon entering, Units found several subjects in the residence where alcoholic beverages had been consumed. One subject was issued a Kentucky State Citation for violation of Campbell County's Keg Law (Responsibility for possession/consumption of alcoholic beverages by a minor). Information on the other subjects was obtained by Residential Life personnel for possible further disciplinary action.

Malkor on
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know -- It's been my experience that most cops aren't out to ruthlessly destroy your life and will be glad if you cooperate. Maybe it's different where you guys live, but I've gotten a much better response if I was relaxed and cooperative when I was blatantly caught red-handed. Naturally, if you get an asshole cop, you're screwed in any case. The cop was nice enough to drop you to a lesser charge, so he seems pretty cool. :)

Than is right, though, definitely have a talk with the public defender. If you think the cop did anything wrong or didn't follow protocol, let him know. I wouldn't bother with a lawyer, unless you have $ to burn -- from my experience, they will make your punishment less severe, maybe reduce some fines and probation times, but you'll just end up paying the lawyer that much more. The public defender will be plenty helpful and should let you know about your options.

Herschel on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »

I have also been told by police officers (both friends and family members) that you never, ever, ever admit to a damn thing. If you are pulled over going 120 in a 20mph school zone, you tell the cop you do not understand why you were pulled over.

I've had run ins with the police twice. First time was when I bought alcohol for some school friends (both me and the friends were underage). They could have charged me as a minor for supplying alcohol to minors, but offered not to press charges if I wrote a signed statement that they could use as evidence to prosecute the owner of the off-licence that I bought the alcohol from.

The second time I got pulled over doing over 40mph in a 30 zone. When they asked me if I knew why I was pulled over, I admitted that I was speeding, when they asked me if I had a good reason for speeding I confessed that I did not and they let me go with a verbal warning.

From personal experience, being honest seems to pay off. I certainly know that the view of the police in Britain is that if you are speeding and you claim you didn't realise that you were speeding then you are much more likely to get fined because you've just admitted that you weren't even paying attention to your speed.

Of course, this all applies to being caught red handed. If you know the evidence is stacked against you, plead guilty and show remorse - you'll almost always get off with a lesser sentence. If you think you can successfully argue the case, by all means give it a shot.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Of course if you're facing real jail time or a huge fine then I think clamming up and calling your lawyer is the prudent move.

Malkor on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Malkor wrote: »
    Of course if you're facing real jail time or a huge fine then I think clamming up and calling your lawyer is the prudent move.

Well sure. Although they may just advise you to plead guilty for a reduced sentence, you'd be crazy not to seek their council in the first place. But for minor things like getting caught speeding or having an underage booze-up and you get caught red-handed, trying to be a smart ass or making the cops job more difficult is only likely to land you with a bigger on the spot fine.

Szechuanosaurus on