As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk seriously about Sony.

Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
The "lol Sony" is getting out of hand in G&T. It's infecting thread after thread, drawing discussions off topic and making it far more difficult to post here than it should be.

So, I've created this thread for us to talk about Sony, the PS3, the PSP, and anything else you'd like to get off your chest. Hopefully we can contain a majority of the Sony discussion here, out of other threads, and keep the other threads on-topic.

First of all, let's talk PS3.
Units sold
Worldwide: 1.61 million+

US 931,300+ (as of January 28, 2007)

JP 676,283+ (as of February 25, 2007)

NA 1 million shipped (as of January 7, 2007)

There's some sources cited at the Wiki, and I think we can consider them accurate.

So, the Wii's outselling the PS3, lol Sony. But I don't think 1.6 million units sold in four months is anything to scoff at. Do you?

Do you really?

Captain K on

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I thought megathreads weren't allowed?

Couscous on
  • Options
    powersspowerss Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pull up some competing figures for Microsoft's and Nintendo's sales in the same timeframe. Then we'll see who's "loling."

Also, Sony dropped their Desktop Line of Vaios (mistake) and their new Vaio laptops are pure shite compared to their previous models. I have no idea what they're doing or who's running them.

powerss on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    So, the Wii's outselling the PS3, lol Sony. But I don't think 1.6 million units sold in four months is anything to scoff at. Do you?

Do you really?

It's "meh"

Basically unless Sony manages to really get PS3 sales up then games will slowly trickle away, because more developers will make games for the console with the most units out which will cause more people to buy that console and it creates a near endless cycle.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    powerss wrote: »
    Pull up some competing figures for Microsoft's and Nintendo's sales in the same timeframe. Then we'll see who's "loling."

I don't remember the 360 numbers from the same timeframe, but Wii launched shortly after PS3 and has sold between 4 and 5 million estimated.

PS3 sales numbers aren't bad as of now, but it's trouble that supply has already met demand (it did right after Christmas, actually) when the supply is so low and launch was only a few months ago.

bruin on
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't think we're scoffing at the number sold, just how much they're being defeated by a company that has been written off for the past five years. When people talk about next gen, the first thing they mention is Wii, followed by 360. Damnit, when your mother won't let you play your video games until she's done with her match of Tennis, there's something going on more than meets the eye.

Then you look at the promotions between the two, Sony promising everything under the sun and Nintendo saying, "Look, we can't do it all, but what we got we do well." Stuff like this makes you really think. Wow. How can a brand that has held itself in the number one position for six to eight years just get outright beaten like this?

Sure there's other stuff Sony's doing to ruin their own image, but by large that's a moot point. I'm not sure Sony could have handled this beating either way.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I have real concerns over the backwards compatibility list for EU launch. Not that it is a huge problem and not that I care so much just would like to know exactly what it is. The only thing that could tip me over to getting a PS3 when I already own a 360 is if I can run my huge PS2 collection on it, as my PS2 broke like 6 months ago. It would certainly sweeten the launch purchase deal.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    SONY deserves some of the blame for hyping its machine and expecting folks to run out and plunk down 500/600 bucks for a gaming machine, but the gaming community itself deserves alot of the blame for over-hyping the PS3 on SONY's parts - and then patting itself on the back when it "failed".

The main complaint (or the one I've seen) so far is that there just arent enough games on the PS3 to really justify grabbing even the 500 dollar version. But if you look at the PS2 launch and even the 360 launch (and most definitely the WII launch - but they at least had Twilight Princess and a low price to compensate) - they all had growing pains in terms of titles available. For me (maybe not for other folks) the XBOX360 just NOW has a wide enough library to get me to go out and grab one - nearly a year and a half after launch.

Could the price be lower - sure. Could there be more titles - of course. But one or the other is going to be satisfied in at least a year, and in two years time, well definitely be seeing, maybe not a reversal of fortunes, but a more level playing field.
    I don't think we're scoffing at the number sold, just how much they're being defeated by a company that has been written off for the past five years.

Its also a system that costs twice as less as the PS3, and I cant imagine the WII had the production difficulties that the PS3 had (thereby assuring that the WII would be able to meet consumner demand).

I dont know who "wrote off" NINTENDO; but when you have a console drop by a major name, that costs about as much as a PSP - you cant go wrong.
    Sony promising everything under the sun.

Did they "promise" it - or did they say theyre looking at including it, or did the gaming community over-deliver themselves?

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Do you really?

It's "meh"

Basically unless Sony manages to really get PS3 sales up then games will slowly trickle away, because more developers will make games for the console with the most units out which will cause more people to buy that console and it creates a near endless cycle.

I find this to be an incredibly shortsighted view.

You have 1.6 MILLION people (in North America) who clearly have money to burn as your customers. So Far. Four months in.

You're about to release the console into what is undoubtedly its most popular region.

We really didn't crucify the 360 this badly, did we?

I've got all three (check the sig, word yo) and I don't think any of these three consoles are poor investments. The idea that games are going to dry up for the PS3 is almost unthinkable to me. I'm not going to go out on a limb with one of those bold, avant garde "I'll eat my own cock" statements, but shit folks, the damn thing just got here.

The second wave of games has been garnering excellent reviews; there's a firmware update looming (the Ides of March! Beware!) and there's apparently some solid stuff for us at GDC. *shrug* lol Sony if you have to, I'll go back to, you know, playing games.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Holy shit there's an elephant in this room

The truth is that this disgusting cocktail's main ingredient is sour grapes from Nintendo fanboys having suffered years of abuse in the last generation.
    Captain K wrote:

Do you really?
    Kind of. Given the rhetoric that was tossed around in the lead-up to the release of the Wii and the PS3, the entirety of the Internet and mainstream media was gearing up for complete Sony domination all over again.

Honestly, I think most people are just irritated at Sony's many, many, many PR-related gaffes. Remember the "first five million will sell on the Playstation name alone" comment? Or that wonderful "All I Want for Christmas ..." PSP flog.

I bear no ill will toward the company itself -- I just bought a PSP and I'm having a hard as shit time talking about it openly here -- but this gen's fanboys are really just using the big three consoles as symbols of the design ideologies that they represent, which is why the bile is as thick as in a bad religious debate.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The "lol Sony" is getting out of hand in G&T. ...

Well, when you do stuff that makes you a laughing stock, you can't be surprised that people laugh at you.

Is "lol sony" any more disruptive than any other meme? Would you create a thread just to contain "all your base" jokes?

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    You have 1.6 MILLION people (in North America) who clearly have money to burn as your customers. So Far. Four months in.

From seeing it repeated many places around the web, I'm pretty sure the 1.6 million figure is a worldwide estimate.

But I agree with everything else you said. I just think it's far too early to write off the PS3 as a failed platform. If, a year from now, there's somehow less than three or four really good games on the system, then maybe I'll be convinced it's tanking, but at this point there just aren't isn't enough evidence to really conclude that.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Selling less than your competition is considered something to laugh at when you compared your dominance to the Grand Canyon. People, including many in Sony, expected the PS3 to dominate as much as the PS2 did. Look at the sales of the PS2 compared to the sales of the GC.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Stolen from GAF. Through 2/25 -

mc-LTDs-13.jpg
    lol sony, even more lol microsoft

bruin on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I was talking to a friend of mine at one of the local EB games and he was telling a rumor he heard.

He had said that he heard that sony might loose the Metal Gear Solid rights (possibly to microsoft)

Anyone know if there is truth to this or ifhe's just a steaming pile of shit?

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    Pata wrote: »

Do you really?

It's "meh"

I find this to be an incredibly shortsighted view.

You're about to release the console into what is undoubtedly its most popular region.

We really didn't crucify the 360 this badly, did we?

I've got all three (check the sig, word yo) and I don't think any of these three consoles are poor investments. The idea that games are going to dry up for the PS3 is almost unthinkable to me. I'm not going to go out on a limb with one of those bold, avant garde "I'll eat my own cock" statements, but shit folks, the damn thing just got here.

The second wave of games has been garnering excellent reviews; there's a firmware update looming (the Ides of March! Beware!) and there's apparently some solid stuff for us at GDC. *shrug* lol Sony if you have to, I'll go back to, you know, playing games.

The video game industry is very front loaded and lacks any sense of loyalty. If something does not become a huge success when it first comes out it is almost always considered a failure within the first two weeks. And the meter for success is always set by the biggest winner. Why make a game with 1.6 million customers when they can make a game with four million customers?

Pata on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can only really add a couple things to this discussion, but I think they're relevant.

Berating MS for releasing 2 360 SKUs and then turning around and doing the same thing for the PS3 was stupid. Especially if they didn't think we'd remember.

It's too expensive. At least for me. I can't warrant $600 on a console that doesn't come with a game. At least when I brought home my Wii, I could play Wii Sports.

The controller doesn't have any heft to it. Not a bad design per se, but it just doesn't feel right.

If you're going to tout "full HD gaming" ship your console with more than composite cables.

Your commercials are creepy. Really creepy. What happened to showing me what it can do, the games it can play, etc.?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Witchdr wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend of mine at one of the local EB games and he was telling a rumor he heard.

He had said that he heard that sony might loose the Metal Gear Solid rights (possibly to microsoft)

Just a rumour.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    I just bought a PSP and I'm having a hard as shit time talking about it openly here

Yet another reason I posted this thread. Perhaps the main reason. Every G&T thread about a handheld game eventually becomes a DS thread, even if it started out as a PSP game thread. Hopefully we can funnel a lot of that topic derailment into this thread and keep it here.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Sony has no rights to MGS, MGS was on Gamecube and MGS2 was on Xbox. It's up to Konami where MGS4 ends up.

bruin on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The sales certainly aren't bad, but they are disappointing considering the PS2 was considered the "default" console, and that part of the reason the Dreamcast croaked was because people were waiting for the PS2. The PS3 SHOULD be selling out, but it's not. Instead, it's just doing okay.

I think most of the "lol Sony" comes from the near-constant PR fumbles since E3, which are almost the equal of Yamauchi's madness-spewing during the N64 days (and remember what that did to Nintendo).

Personally, I'm worried about the business side of things... even though the PS3 is cost-prohibitive and apparently scaring customers, (and the $500 version is nearly impossible to find, as jwalk discovered) it's losing a ton of money per system sold. Yes, it'll be an awesome buy when the full version gets down to $400 or so (hell, it's an awesome buy now if you care about high-def DVDs, but so far most people don't), but the problem is what happens in the meantime. If too many people wait and not enough people buy, developers will get skittish and be less willing to give the system exclusives, or maybe even choose not to develop for it at all, reducing its potential library.

Maybe some of the lol comes from the seeming attitude at Sony corporate that of course it's a great decision to make a $600 console, because people will buy it because it's got a Playstation logo.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My issue with the PS3 has always been its absurd price point.
    Let them make all the PR gaffes they like. I'd still be doing better if they'd been a bit less ambitious on the hardware and dropped the price accordingly.
    I'm not sure the most powerful console has wound up the winner in terms of sales any time in the last 10 years, so why should things change now?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh, I still don't own a PS3, and probably won't until FF13, but the discussion is getting a little old. Take the newest PA comic for example, pretty much every complaint on there could be attributed to the Wiis online store as well. Not that Song shouldn't be doing a better job (and MS too... just because XBox marketplace is better than the others doesn't make it good).

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

It's been thrown around a lot, but there's literally nothing backing it up. Mostly just people saying "hey the PS3 isn't doing so hot. If I were Kojima I'd move MGS4 to the 360." The rumor's not based in anything except raw speculation and daydreaming.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    It's too expensive. At least for me. I can't warrant $600 on a console that doesn't come with a game. At least when I brought home my Wii, I could play Wii Sports.
    If we're airing Sony grievances and Sony-grievance grievances ... the system starts at $500. There's very little* that precludes the $500 system from being a completely functional PS3, which can't be said about the craptacular Xbox 360 Core.

*Only difference I've figured is a lack of PS3-PSP connectivity, which affects a ridiculously small portion of the populace.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    If we're airing Sony grievances and Sony-grievance grievances ... the system starts at $500. There's very little* that precludes the $500 system from being a completely functional PS3, which can't be said about the craptacular Xbox 360 Core.

*Only difference I've figured is a lack of PS3-PSP connectivity, which affects a ridiculously small portion of the populace.

The fact that Sony produced five of hem prevents many people from getting the 500 dollar version.

Couscous on
  • Options
    WitchdrWitchdr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

[imghttp://images.redial.net/mc-LTDs-13.jpg[/img]

Not really sure why your posting that graph then add "even more lol microsoft"

Thats the Japanese market......

nintento is on a godly status over there, and hell i think the only reason sony beats microsoft is just because the japanese are supporting their own company.

It's no secret that the xbox is mainly a NA system, maybe if xbox produced more RPG/fantasy games the market might pick up more in japan.

If that was the american market then your comment would have meret

Witchdr on
    "Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off." -Carl Brutananadilewski

In regards to the advocates of his former empire: “I was going to have them all executed… the Royal Advocate talked me out of it.” -Shadowthrone (Emperor Kellanved)

Handles: LoL-Emerging, BF4/Hardline-Whiskeyjack227, Steam-Fragglerock, HOTS/Blizzard-Whiskeyjack#1333, Life-Jason
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm happy with my Wii60 setup, and right now I have no intentions of buying a PS3. However, I can't say that I won't every buy one.

This is how I feel about the whole Sony situation right now. Even with the screw ups and PR farts, I think it is way to early in the game to go "lol sony" just yet.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

The fact that Sony produced five of hem prevents many people from getting the 500 dollar version.
    If you're impulsive enough to not wait for the version you want to be readily available at market, then you forfeit the right to complain about its "overpriced" nature.

Lunker on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I believe it I am not exaggerating when I say Sony is raping Europe. Hard. We pay more for a console with less features. That being said, I believe Sony will come back when/if they get a decent library of games. The current lack of multitude is so to say, disheartening.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

nintento is on a godly status over there, and hell i think the only reason sony beats microsoft is just because the japanese are supporting their own company.

It's no secret that the xbox is mainly a NA system, maybe if xbox produced more RPG/fantasy games the market might pick up more in japan.

In the Japanese market, it is indeed lol Microsoft. They haven't done nearly enough to convince the Japanese market to buy a Gaijinbox.

But that's another issue.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    In all honesty, if Nintendo hadn't thrown out the Wii and instead had made a "Gamecube2", AKA: an extension of the Gamecube's style of gaming the same as the Gamecube was an extension of the N64, I could have seen Sony winning again.

However, Nintendo pulled out all the stops and is changing the market.

Pata on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sony is going to fail unless they realize their mistakes. Their whole complex of thinking that the Ninetendo Wii is just a "toy" is going to bite them in the ass. They need to figure out what is wrong with their console (almost no games) and fix it.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MGS4 will drop on the PS3. It's been in production too long to just drop it. That being said, I see any future 'main story' type MGS dropping at least on both the PS3 and X360, if not JUST the X360.

The Wii probably won't get any of the 'main' MGS games due to it's inferior graphical ability (and before you say graphics aren't important, they seem to be to the MGS crowd). That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see updates of classic MGS games a la Twin Snakes on the Wii. I know Kojima likes the Wii a lot so I'm sure it'll see it's fair share of offshoots.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

If you're impulsive enough to not wait for the version you want to be readily available at market, then you forfeit the right to complain about its "overpriced" nature.

Also, I don't know if this applies to all games, but didn't Ridge Racer 7 install like 6GB of data to the hard drive? I don't know if I'd want to be doing that kind of shit when you only have the 20GB model.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

There's a lot of difference between the 2 units. 20GB vs 60GB HDD and no wifi vs wifi-capable. Maybe my house is just goofy, but if Sony is trying to make the PS3 a living room appliance and price it at $500/$600, they have to realize they're not all going in tiny college apartments. I want my house to look nice, and ethernet cord running from my living room and down a flight of steps isn't going to cut it. It's 2007. If you console can go online, and especially if it's a front-page feature, give the fucker wifi access by default (also a complaint at the 360).

I was also going to list no HDMI vs HDMI-capable, but Wiki informs me that the 20GB model now has an HDMI port. Good move on Sony's part there.

I'm not sure if the extra 40GB and wifi capability is worth $100, but with downloadable content becoming mainstream and Sony's lack of background-download, I'd want the bigger drive, too. I don't turn on my console to watch it download (also a complaint I have about my Wii - I should be allowed to download OoT while playing TP).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    On the contrary, I think the elephant in the room is the fact that the machine's been burdened with a Blu-Ray drive that's completely unnecessary and has pushed the price up to $600. Now, to be clear; that's more than a quarter of all the money in my bank account. And we've all got used to this, somehow. We all accept that it's what a PS3 costs.

If they had an option that was a base PS3 with hard drive etc, and a Blu-Ray drive addon or insert, and all that stuff combined added up to $600, then I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's just that the hardware is saddled with a burden that isn't immediately beneficial. And while in the long-term it might be great and we will need it for higher storage capacity and whatever, in the short term their sales are being snapped up by the competitors, and when the PS3 does become a viable option Microsoft and Nintendo have one giant userbase.

I played a PS3 for the first time last weekend. Yeah, the controller's kinda light, but you get used to it. But Resistance, I feel, lacks polish. Motorstorm is great, but sparse on content. VF is awesome. And I know there are similar complaints levelled at the Wii, but it's a third of the price and it packs, for me, about the same experience.

The PSP has hardly any first-party support, and while the odd ones are good, they aren't enough to keep it afloat. We've been seeing some good third-party titles recently, but nothing really to stop me thinking of it as the GameCube handheld. I haven't picked up my PSP since the battery ran out half-way through a VCS mission.

They do have some cool things lined up for the future; Home, Remote Play, they way they intertwine and I'm looking forward to that. But until that's available, I don't want the machine.

I'm going to come back to this thread next week and see if I've changed my tune. Who knows what's gonna happen at GDC.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think part of the problem with the PS3 is that it's "value proposition" isn't that great relative to it's competition (though this can be considered highly subjective).

It's the most expensive of the three, it has no proven online system, no particularly exciting exclusives released(as far as I'm aware, I haven't been following it that closely) and only a couple of exciting exclusives upcoming.

There's nothing that particularly says "buy me" about the PS3, even when considered independently of it's competition.

In addition, I think they've hurt their chances by concentrating so heavily on HD and graphical power, creating some truly obnoxious advertising and seemingly setting out to piss off the gamer community at large. I realise that the "gamer community" don't make up a large proportion of the buying public, but they do set the trends.

japan on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

In the Japanese market, it is indeed lol Microsoft. They haven't done nearly enough to convince the Japanese market to buy a Gaijinbox.

But that's another issue.

I said "even more lol microsoft" because I thought someone would point out how at least PS3 is beating 360.

I posted the graph because I think it's relevant to point out how much better the Wii is doing than PS3 in Japan, especially considering how the PS2 destroyed the Gamecube there. Wii is actually trending a lot like PS2 did, and PS3 is trending like GC did in the same timeframe.

If they continue to sell like have they have been since launch (and there's no reason why they shouldn't at least for the majority of this year), Wii will have a 1 million lead over PS3 next week, 2 million by June, and 3 million by October.

bruin on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The sales certainly aren't bad, but they are disappointing considering the PS2 was considered the "default" console, and that part of the reason the Dreamcast croaked was because people were waiting for the PS2. The PS3 SHOULD be selling out, but it's not. Instead, it's just doing okay.

I think you also have to look at the competition the PS2 had at the time. I know I hadnt, but most had written off the Dreamcast, and were just waiting to see what the makers of the PS1 was capable of. The PS2 also had the fortune of launching first in Japan (to blockbuster sales), and establishing itself overseas.

In this situation SONY is playing catchup to the XBOX360, and having to share the state with the WII.

Had the PS3 launched in the summer, and not forced gamers to chose - I think we'd be looking at different sales numbers.

I will also agree on the price. I plunked 400 down for an XBOX. I could just have easily done so for a 500 dollar PS3 (if they made many of those). I have no need for HDMI and w/e else the 600 dollar PS3 offers. None of the differences between the two are as significant as those between Core and Premium.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Sony has no rights to MGS, MGS was on Gamecube and MGS2 was on Xbox. It's up to Konami where MGS4 ends up.

From a purely business standpoint--and Konami is a business--it wouldn't make a whole helluva lot of sense to keep MGS4 exclusive to the PS3. The customer base isn't there yet, said base might not be high enough to justify the production costs when the game does finally release, and Konami's sales figures would benefit from 360 and/or Wii ports. Kojima might like to keep it a PS3 exclusive, but Kojima isn't going to have the final say on business decisions.

Now this is still officially filed under "just a rumor," but OXM's rumor mole stated a couple of issues ago that Konami is doing everything mentioned above (i.e., telling Kojima he has to do a 360 port).

So, yeah, you'll see Metal Gear Solid 4 on the 360 at some point, but it's not because "it's a rumor." It's because it makes sense for Konami to do so.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
This discussion has been closed.