As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

R-E-C-Y-C-L-E RECYCLE

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Raz, for you

I'm going to waste as much stuff as possible

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I got fifty bucks says the human race doesn't survive more than 250 years from now.

if I live to be 276, that's a bet I could collect on.

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    If there's a blue can I'll put cans and paper and shit in it

If there ain't, it goes in the trash

You're welcome, earth

xmassig2.gif
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    I also don't drive and I use an electric lawn mower

Not out of any environmental obligation, but because gasoline is a goddamned scam.

xmassig2.gif
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    #pipe wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I knew someone would post those.

I'll save future people the time and say that Penn has already conceded that global warming is a thing. So that episode is now...bullshit!
    that episode is not about global warming at all?
    Duh?

It was just in case someone wanted to come along and post the Global Warming episode that P&T did.

YL9WnCY.png
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    Rorus every time I see your avatar I get Carol of the WAH stuck in my head again

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2012
    Why should I recycle? It's not like I'm going to be around to see the consequences.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Man doesn't it take shitloads of electricity to make aluminum? better believe i'll recycle that shit

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    everyone in my city is getting a free recycling bin paid for by the government or whatever, itll be pretty rad to not have to just toss out all our bottles and stuff. dont even have to seperate them

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    My dad adamantly denies global warming, but will chew my head off if I throw a plastic bottle in the trash.

YL9WnCY.png
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Why should I recycle? It's not like I'm going to be around to see the consequences.

Don't you see, this is why you should recycle. What's the point of setting up a prank on future generations if you aren't going to be around to see people's reactions?

Best to just recycle all the time and not lie in your deathbed years from now, regretting not being able to see the satisfying outcome of all that effort spent not recycling.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Recycling seems pretty good here.

I have to sort my garbage into like 6 categories of trash though. Apparently there's a machine somewhere that can sort it according to bag colour, which makes it pretty easy for me. Honestly, I'm a bit sceptical about that and I'd like to see a few studies on the matter and not a smug ass, self righteous commercial. I have no doubt some form of garbage sorting is a good idea, or at least better than just burning it for power, but show me the fucking numbers, you cunts.

Fuck off and die.
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Recycling is cool.

I saw a youtube video of a guy who took old plastic and turned it into usable fuel.

I can't find it anymore.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    i hate how sloppy people are with recycling

whenever i open the recycle bins at my apartment complex i see all sorts of shit people dumped in there that clearly aren't recyclable

I have no idea how that gets managed on the processing end

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1

whenever i open the recycle bins at my apartment complex i see all sorts of shit people dumped in there that clearly aren't recyclable

Have you ever been to a recycling plant? The process starts in a room filled with goats that eat everything that isn't recyclable.

iwantanswers3.png
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar wrote: »

Have you ever been to a recycling plant? The process starts in a room filled with goats that eat everything that isn't recyclable.

I resent being referred to as a goat.

*burp*

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    There's a reason it goes "reduce reuse recycle" in that order. Stop using so much stuff and creating so much trash you fucking slobs.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    man recycling is nice and all but if you are actually looking down on people for the amount of things they use or the cars they drive then ahahahahahaaaaaa

mensch-o-matic on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Larlar wrote: »

I resent being referred to as a goat.

*burp*

STOP EATING MY TIN CANS

• LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    man recycling is nice and all but if you are actually looking down on people for the amount of things they use or the cars they drive then ahahahahahaaaaaa

I'm going to judge people who over consume and waste as irresponsible, yeah

otherwise it's like being cool with littering

f24GSaF.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Lockout wrote: »

oh boy what an awesome slippery slope

p.s. get off the computer and go into the woods forever and make your own tools and clothing otherwise you are literally killing the earth

PiptheFair wrote: »

oh boy what an awesome slippery slope

slippery because of all that litter

iwantanswers3.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    actually in the show he advocates recycling of metal and plastic.

he mainly just argues against paper (it doesn't actually save as many trees as people think it does) and the lack of landfill space (there is no shortage of landfill space)

yeah, I love that episode specifically because Penn isn't talking about crazy libertarian stuff and he lays out the facts about the logistics of recycling and it's great.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    what if the byproduct of recycling is worse than the trash. like all that shit we put in paper to get the ink out

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I always have to laugh when some super liberal doofus starts ranting that anyone driving an SUV is the enemy and that no one ever has any reasonable need for one. Whatever you hippy trash. I agree with reducing, reusing, and recycling. Absolutely. But that doesn't mean you get to judge someone when all you know about them is what vehicle they're driving.

Well, unless it's a Yugo. Then judge away.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    My dad adamantly denies global warming, but will chew my head off if I throw a plastic bottle in the trash.

...I don't really see the conflict here.

there's plenty of other reasons to recycle other than trying to slow the climb of global temperatures!

Not saying that trying to stop said climb isn't a good reason, but it certainly isn't the only one.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Then every man under common law must hence forth build a sweet castle out of his left over paper.

Fuck off and die.
    In New York if you're caught throwing shit out your window BAM $500 fine.

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    My restaurant throws away an absurd amount of cardboard and plastic.

It would be pretty sweet if we could recycle them. But also really expensive.

Also twice now recently I have seen people actually throwing trash out their car window.

How is that a thing anybody thinks that is acceptable to do?

How are you too fucking lazy to just throw it away at home?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I always wonder if in the future they will mine old landfills for raw materials

all those plastics and metals and shit

the saddest day in my great grandfather's life was when they closed the local dump. he made all kinds of stuff from the trash metal in there for my dad and uncle when they were kids.

Artreus I am sorry for violating causality with my post.

I will endeavor not to do the same again.

• SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    My restaurant throws away an absurd amount of cardboard and plastic.

It would be pretty sweet if we could recycle them. But also really expensive.

Also twice now recently I have seen people actually throwing trash out their car window.

How is that a thing anybody thinks that is acceptable to do?

How are you too fucking lazy to just throw it away at home?

i see this happen multiple times a week and it's one of the only things that makes me see red when i'm driving

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    I always have to laugh when some super liberal doofus starts ranting that anyone driving an SUV is the enemy and that no one ever has any reasonable need for one. Whatever you hippy trash. I agree with reducing, reusing, and recycling. Absolutely. But that doesn't mean you get to judge someone when all you know about them is what vehicle they're driving.

Well, unless it's a Yugo. Then judge away.

Tell Cheech to come out to PA and drive around in the mountains during the winter in his eco friendly tiny car. I'll be more than happy to find his remains when the spring thaw comes and give what's left to his family. As long as I don't have to fight off bears for it, then fuck it.

Jars wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I always wonder if in the future they will mine old landfills for raw materials

all those plastics and metals and shit

the saddest day in my great grandfather's life was when they closed the local dump. he made all kinds of stuff from the trash metal in there for my dad and uncle when they were kids.

folk artists are awesome

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Interestingly enough, the recycling system in my municipality was shown to have a larger impact on the environment than our landfills by several university studies. These things are always more complicated than they seem.

Still worth the effort to figure out better ways to not fuck up the place, though.

• POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    "And you would be?"

"We're a big, unruly mob!"

We're a big unruly mob :whistle:

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    p.s. get off the computer and go into the woods forever and make your own tools and clothing otherwise you are literally killing the earth

whatever

people like to portray it as this dichotomy of "buy nothing! make all your own shit forever" and "it's your money, use it on whatever wasteful shit you want, who cares"

when really, it's not. I think people have a social responsibility to spend consciously and not be fuckheads when it comes to conspicuous consumption

especially when we live in a capitalist society where money has sway in government. you usually don't hear people recommend not giving a shit about voting? why should we not give a shit about spending?

f24GSaF.jpg
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular

ABigPieceofGarbage.png

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012

whatever

people like to portray it as this dichotomy of "buy nothing! make all your own shit forever" and "it's your money, use it on whatever wasteful shit you want, who cares"

when really, it's not. I think people have a social responsibility to spend consciously and not be fuckheads when it comes to conspicuous consumption

especially when we live in a capitalist society where money has sway in government. you usually don't hear people recommend not giving a shit about voting? why should we not give a shit about spending?

Because what you are doing is projecting your own values onto others and expecting them to follow suit. It's unfair to both parties and most folks, when confronted in such a fashion, choose to resent the person bossing them around to be responsible. Want to change the human race? Have some kids and teach them your values.

Consumption can't be stopped that way anyhow. Even if there are enough people shouting down folks not to be wasteful here in the US, all that will happen is the money used to produce those goods will flow to another market and the US will be being thrifty not because it's smart for the planet, but because we will have to for economic reasons. Consumption can't be shut down globally. Not without war or some sort of massive recession, and even then only temporarily.

Things have been getting better and cleaner and more sustainable since it became a topic of serious concern in the 50s. Every year things get a little better for everyone. Maybe not fast enough or perfect enough for utopian ideas, but things are coming along and most folks aren't consciously being dicks about it.

Enc on