Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[TRENCHES] Thursday, April 19, 2012 - Reincarnation

2»

Posts

  • IvarIvar Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Priest wrote: »
    I do believe, and, quote me if I'm wrong, but when I was younger, we read comics and laughed. That's all we did. We laughed and moved on.

    :)

    Why would I quote you if you're wrong?

    e: Dangit, I just did.

    Ivar on
  • IvarIvar Registered User regular
    Ori Klein wrote: »
    Also, and apologies but it need be said: it was a female who roped the attention of a male. Talent may be collecting its dues, but I'm going to suggest that her gender helped in her little QA2Dev RPG game play-through.

    What

    Why did this need to be said? There is nothing about that story that at all implies anything like what you said.

    Sounds like someone lost a job/promotion to a more talented person who happened to be a member of the opposite sex

  • fearsomepiratefearsomepirate I ate a pickle once. Registered User regular
    We're on the second page and no one's griped about the noses yet? You guys really have come a long way!

    Nobody makes me bleed my own blood...nobody.
    PSN ID: fearsomepirate
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    We're on the second page and no one's griped about the noses yet? You guys really have come a long way!

    We can't actually see human faces.

    steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X When you speak I hear muffinsRegistered User regular
    That hasn't been a thing since like, the week after Trenches started. :P

    People only ever seem to bring it up if characters in the regular PA strip have Trenchnose.

    rv0c1titu3ci.pngc0ppr8iiann6.png
  • Ori KleinOri Klein Registered User regular
    What

    Why did this need to be said? There is nothing about that story that at all implies anything like what you said.

    Exactly because there was nothing in the story to imply it that it needed to be said. That story wasn't believable one damn bit.
    Ivar wrote: »
    Sounds like someone lost a job/promotion to a more talented person who happened to be a member of the opposite sex

    Sounds like you're speaking from personal experience, because I hadn't any of the sort.

  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Priest wrote: »
    I do believe, and, quote me if I'm wrong, but when I was younger, we read comics and laughed. That's all we did. We laughed and moved on.

    :)
    That was before the internet. Now, no one is that young anymore.
    So, if we're to take panel four seriously, then he probably has prosopagnosia. Regarding him recognizing Cora earlier, maybe she's left enough of an impression that he recognized other features such as her build or hair color or something and guessed it was her - or they just didn't plan for this at that point.

    It's possible that, because he has Prosopagnosia, that he made an effort to read the name on the resume, or less likely ask his secretary for the name of the next person, before going out of the office in an attempt to cover for it.

    Dedwrekka on
  • RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Gender completely aside, the "tale" was absolutely terrible and represents everything wrong with the current young workforce:
    I was a girl from an animation background doing work I felt was beneath me.

    Really? Lots of people can't get non-hard-labor jobs and you're complaining because you have an education and shouldn't be doing QA? It wreaks of entitlement and self centered-ness. If she was any good at animation or even serious about it, she'd have done internships in college etc. and not had to be forced into the terrible, terrible world of QA.

    Way to shit on an entire field of work. She complained about the conditions or the work - fair enough. But then to say the fucking WORK was beneath her?

    She didn't "fight tooth and nail" - she passive aggressively paid her dues because she wasn't determined or talented or lucky enough to land her desired position. If she had been any combination of the three above, she'd have been fine.

    I'm really ticked off about this because I was in the same situation but I knew what I needed to do and where I messed up (I was an animation student doing non-animation work). I didn't rebuke and denigrate the work of people who are actually GREAT at those other jobs.

    PS - you don't get to claim you're from an animation background until you've done animation professionally. Until then, you don't HAVE a background - you have an interest.

    Rye on
  • ApolloinApolloin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I've never heard of an artist coming up through QA, although I suppose it might be possible. Usually it's Production/Design staff that come up through that route. It's also less aspirational from a gender perspective because females are well represented in the Art discipline, but then again if life gives you art I guess you make cubist lemonade.

    Apolloin on
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka What Would Nyarlathotep Do? Registered User regular
    Apolloin wrote: »
    I've never heard of an artist coming up through QA, although I suppose it might be possible. Usually it's Production/Design staff that come up through that route. It's also less aspirational from a gender perspective because females are well represented in the Art discipline, but then again if life gives you art I guess you make cubist lemonade.

    I suppose the lemon itself would be minimalist lemonade.

  • RoeRoe Registered User regular
    This comic is awesome, that is all.

  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    With regards to Prosopagnosia, I have it and it's fucking annoying. It varies in severity for people, mine isn't too bad, unlike some I still recognise my wife, close family and friends. People at work though? Not the majority. I've worked on the same floor of this building for 2 years now. I still don't recognise 90% of them. I'm just glad we wear name tags.

    Also this particular strip is funny.

    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Xbox Live: SirGrinch X
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.