As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[StarCraft2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD. DIABLO KILLED THIS ONE.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh hey guys, I have a small announcement.

Please clear your calendars next Saturday, April 28th

Starting at 7 PM EST

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »

Starting at 7 PM EST

:D

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    ImpyrockerImpyrocker Registered User regular

Starting at 7 PM EST

Wish I could... what are you planning?

1345301-1.png
    Quasi ignis
    Flamma inferno
    Igne cutis
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Sadly, I'll be out of town at a friends place next weekend, otherwise I'd have loved to help with the modding again.

Good luck though, and maybe I'll manage to catch a little of whatever you are cooking up.

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Will there be cake and punch?

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    Man after this arena, I've identified some things in specific that I really hate about Tasteless's casting. His need to build his own storylines and nicknames, like saying that DRG has become a legend by winning this arena and that MKP has been cast down, when it's literally 1 mini-tournament. Or calling just forcibly shoving his nicknames down people's throats, like Nada and "renaissance nerd". Also, his tendency to just go "it's over gg it's over leave over gg". Also, his absolute refusal to call DongRaeGu DongRaeGu. It's one thing to type DRG, because it saves like 6 letters. It's another to say, because it's still 3 syllables. Even if he only occasionally said it, I'd be happier about it, but he literally never called DRG DongRaeGu once. It shouldn't be the job of a caster to actually never say a player's name that they chose.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    "his need to build storylines" is the same need that every sportscaster and sports show has, though. watch espn or like, any game. it fills time and hypes up what we're watching. it's no fun to go "and drg wins, not that it matters in the long run!" it also sets up expectations one way or the other for future games to either play out or go against

and I don't see how using a nickname is shoving it down anyone's throats?

calling gg I understand having a problem with, I don't like it either.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I don't have a problem with him building a storyline, but saying that DRG has 'become a legend by casting down a legend' is silly. He's already regarded as the best Zerg in the world, his two recent losses to MKP have done nothing to diminish that. He should have just been building it up as a revenge storyline instead of some weird 'making a name for himself' story.

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    I know every caster does that to a degree, but Tasteless takes it to another, annoying, level to me. DRG finally getting a win over MKP, after meeting in 3 consecutive MLG finals is a strong storyline by itself. But neither player are legends. Nor did DRG dethrone MKP as the best player in the world, yet Tasteless kept emphasizing this was the biggest deal ever. There can be strong storylines without made up storylines. After this, MKP is not dethroned as best player. DRG is still not a legend. He's just a very good player who finally overcame his rival after meeting him 3 times in the same tournament's finals. Not to mention, all the MMA DRG hype from Blizzard Cup. And before that, the GSTL meetings.

I dunno, I guess we have to disagree about nicknames. I just feel like a nickname should be more of an organic thing, and also, you should at least call a player by their own chosen name once in a while. When it's just him pushing a name, it just feels (to me, obviously) awkward because no one else calls them that. Similarly, DRG didn't call himself DRG, he called himself DongRaeGu. It's just a bunch of little things that annoy me about Tasteless's casting. He's not terrible, obviously, but I just don't enjoy listening to him anymore. It's hard to feel excited when he consistently calls things the biggest deal ever, and when every player is either one of the best or the best or a legend. The words lose meaning when they're applied so liberally.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular

Starting at 7 PM EST

Clearly, that's a large announcement.

As a lurker and observer of the game, this sounds exciting!

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, exactly, Meeks. Especially since DRG finally beat MKP in a finals after losing to him in 2 MLGs, and also the Blizzard Cup. The two have had a LONG storyline already. GSTL, Anaheim, Providence, Blizzard Cup, Winter Arena, Winter championship, and now Spring Arena. Instead of emphasizing that, it become some sort of "DRG IS NOW A LEGEND BY WINNING THIS ONE MINI-TOURNAMENT". It's not like MKP appeared absolutely untouchable either. He was certainly the best player in the world right now, but beating him wasn't the equivalent of even beating Nestea/MVP/MC back in their peaks.

For example, DH this weekend. Thorzain fucking bossmoded this shit. Apollo hyped it up a lot, but he didn't anything like "he's the best foreigner!" or "he beat the best tvt in the world!" or anything like that. He just beat a personal nemesis that he had lost to badly many times before, on a huge stage, in his own country. It was a great storyline as it was, and it was stronger for not being exaggerated.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Lepwave wrote: »
    Will there be cake and punch?

The latter, yes.
    The former, it is a lie.
    :(

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Shimshai wrote: »

Starting at 7 PM EST

Clearly, that's a large announcement.

As a lurker and observer of the game, this sounds exciting!

Shame they won't tell us what it is, cuz you know, then we could tell our friends to watch it too. As of right now it's like "oh hey friend, there is a thing going on next Saturday!"
    "Oh really! What is it?"
    "I don't know, it's a secret."
    "oh."
    "but it's supposed to be cool"
    "yeah but what is it?"
    *shrug*
    I mean, if it is happening, how come you guys can't say what it is yet?

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    because the "announcing an announcement" is much funnier than everybody thinks it is, so they keep doing it

• Options
    edited April 2012
    and... we're not ready to announce yet >.<'
    *shakes fist at circumstance*
    ^_^

tomorrow's the formal announcement though, no worries!

If you were watching Starcraft this weekend, think of that as our teaser.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    because the "announcing an announcement" is much funnier than everybody thinks it is, so they keep doing it

clearly. It may be driving me nuts because I've known vaguely that something has been going on for months now. And I'm somewhat impatient and excitable. I'll go work on that.

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    Clearly it's a Photon Cycles tournament.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    rumble in the not-bronze

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I really need to knuckle down and ladder some more. Motivation = zero

• Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    My interest in playing has gone down lately. It tends to go up and down in cycles, so I'll probably pick it up again at some point in the Summer. Still love watching it though.

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So, this protoss didn't respond gl hf at the beginning of the game, THEN, he had the gall to nexus first before forge right under my overlord. So, I literally took every.base.on.the.map. I first expanded to my gold instead of my nat., then eventually I expanded to his gold, his third, his nat., then his main.

Check out dat minimap.
    Tp6a1.jpg

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    and... we're not ready to announce yet >.<'
    *shakes fist at circumstance*
    ^_^

tomorrow's the formal announcement though, no worries!

If you were watching Starcraft this weekend, think of that as our teaser.

All my hate. I'm still sick of announcements of announcements even though the whole EG and NASL thing is long past. *shakes fist*

That and I'm still super curious what you guys have been up to since I've known about there being ~something~ going on for a while now :|

• Options
    I don't even know where to start with thinking about what this is

so I haven't

• Options
    mEEksa wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with him building a storyline, but saying that DRG has 'become a legend by casting down a legend' is silly. He's already regarded as the best Zerg in the world, his two recent losses to MKP have done nothing to diminish that. He should have just been building it up as a revenge storyline instead of some weird 'making a name for himself' story.

I can agree that this one might not have been the right direction to go, but this was just used as an example of his storyline building being bad. which I don't think it is.

• Options
    edited April 2012

I dunno, I saw Thorzain win, and I got all excited, and so I went and played 5 or 6 games with yilias. I even won a few, that is, when he decided to do particularly silly builds like battle cruiser rushes and nuking my base. There were a few mistakes I made where I realized in game "oh hey, I shouldn't do that probably." And while I clearly don't have good timing sense for how to smoothly operate two fully saturated bases yet, I think I'm getting better.
    I think I'd like to get on and do more 1v1s with people again. That, and with Seg in the United States he said he wanted to play some games with me during the week now too so that would be awesome. It just sucks that I now have two extra jobs... tutoring 10 hours a week and retail on the weekends. :( I mean yay, I will survive in a foreign country next year, but boo, no free time.
    Dear school, please end soon so it can be summer. Thanks.

narwhal on
    Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Ladder so full of BM and cheese tonight. :S
    This last game I played was Nexus-cancel 4Gate v 16CC into 5Rax.
    I literally stood at the top of my natural ramp and mulched his units as they tried to come up. I didn't even realize it was a 4Gate until he left.
    5sxVQ.jpg

narwhal wrote: »

I dunno, I saw Thorzain win, and I got all excited, and so I went and played 5 or 6 games with yilias. I even won a few, that is, when he decided to do particularly silly builds like battle cruiser rushes and nuking my base. There were a few mistakes I made where I realized in game "oh hey, I shouldn't do that probably." And while I clearly don't have good timing sense for how to smoothly operate two fully saturated bases yet, I think I'm getting better.
    I think I'd like to get on and do more 1v1s with people again. That, and with Seg in the United States he said he wanted to play some games with me during the week now too so that would be awesome. It just sucks that I now have two extra jobs... tutoring 10 hours a week and retail on the weekends. :( I mean yay, I will survive in a foreign country next year, but boo, no free time.
    Dear school, please end soon so it can be summer. Thanks.

Battlecruiser expand into 4Rax Ghost is standard TvP, what do you mean 'silly'? Also, Ghosts are so expensive off 1 base holy shit.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Wait

Seguer's in the US now?

...is

is he alright?

The culture shock isn't hitting him too hard, is it?

• Options
    was it just a bad four gate or did he not micro? or were there bunkers that died

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Wait

Seguer's in the US now?

...is

is he alright?

The culture shock isn't hitting him too hard, is it?

Just recharging the Tardis before getting back on with his adventures.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    was it just a bad four gate or did he not micro? or were there bunkers that died

Bad 4Gate, no Bunkers. Showed up when I had 18 Marines out and he had just the first 7 units.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »

clearly. It may be driving me nuts because I've known vaguely that something has been going on for months now. And I'm somewhat impatient and excitable. I'll go work on that.

WHAT'S FUNNY IS THAT MARKETING SEEMS TO ESCAPE THE ALL-POWERFUL MMMIGGGGGSSSS.

YEP, PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DROP WHAT THEY'RE DOING, LESS THAN A WEEK AHEAD OF TIME, AND WATCH YOUR MYSTERY EVENT.

• Options
    2 straight zergs going muta on ohana. seems dumb, and it didn't work for them.

• Options
    @Seguer - I'll be very curious to see how it feels playing SC2 with a truly low ping.

• Options
    blows my mind how well you've played with an inferior connection

you should just move here

• Options
    there are 3 things stopping us moving to the USA, like, immediately (wife was born there, so we'd be able to get in easily)

1) Australia's economy went relatively untouched in the last few turbulent years

2) We both would need to find work. We have a ton of savings but I'd be very worried about relying on finding work

3) we own a place

• Options
    apart from that though we'd both love the idea.

• Options
    itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yilias wrote: »
    Ladder so full of BM and cheese tonight. :S
    This last game I played was Nexus-cancel 4Gate v 16CC into 5Rax.
    I literally stood at the top of my natural ramp and mulched his units as they tried to come up. I didn't even realize it was a 4Gate until he left.
    5sxVQ.jpg
    Hey, I played that same guy an hour or two ago. He just straight up 4 gated me though, no fancy nexus cancel, and I scouted it with my scv runby. He was pretty awful and super mad, even though I tried to be nice to him earlier in the game.
    UZPTt.jpg

itsweb on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    If this laptop can run SC2 I totally aim on playing, then I give you an idea on the ping stuff, Dhal. Hotel wireless is shitty though 2/2.

• Options
    Seguer wrote: »
    If this laptop can run SC2 I totally aim on playing, then I give you an idea on the ping stuff, Dhal. Hotel wireless is shitty though 2/2.

I'd be really curious. Because I get around 200ms to the SEA servers. Somewhere around 250-300 to NA servers, depending on time of day. Obviously it wouldnt be as responsive as playing singleplayer vs AI, because the latency is still there, but I wonder what it feels like to play with NA->NA latency.

• Options
    I love when people cheese, it fails, and they rant like that

like, any given game there might be things that frustrate you but to have something you KNOW is a risky cheese beaten... and then you get mad

This discussion has been closed.