As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[StarCraft2] POST IN THE NEW THREAD. DIABLO KILLED THIS ONE.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »
    GUUUUUUUUYS!!!
    I am now one of the proofreaders/writers for GLHF magazine! :D:D:D

so-much-win-starcraft-reaction.gif

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Joe K wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Kambing wrote: »
    Sceptre wrote: »
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/OneMoreGame

Huk v Idra

These games are everything I hate about PvZ. I hate how the lategame comes down entirely to the vortex.

Six pool the last two games in a team in-house tournament. Very classy!

shocker. I'm glad I didn't get home in time.

yeh, idra is nothing but class.

Pretty sure he still hates Huk.

crucialityfactor on
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Joe K wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Kambing wrote: »
    Sceptre wrote: »
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/OneMoreGame

Huk v Idra

These games are everything I hate about PvZ. I hate how the lategame comes down entirely to the vortex.

Six pool the last two games in a team in-house tournament. Very classy!

shocker. I'm glad I didn't get home in time.

yeh, idra is nothing but class.

Pretty sure he still hates Huk.

Pretty sure he hates everyone who isn't himself or Incontrol.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    NASL is so prone to "hiccups."
    It's endearing in an "Aww, these clumsy geeks are adorable" kinda way.

• itswebitsweb Registered User regular
    Wow, dead thread. Anyone watch violet and select showmatch? Select looked good in game 1 but then he lost out, 1-4 final. Violet too gosu

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    when is my GSL back, damnit?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    not until tomorrow night, what the fuck

okay, I know that previous season schedules were a bit too compressed, but they didnt need to be spread out this much.

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    i dunno man, i like it a lot more

but then again im only watching code s

• PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    when is naniwa playing again

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    PoolCue wrote: »
    when is naniwa playing again

Wednesday

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    Phew, just won a 43min PvZ!

He went for heavy early ling aggression, there was a tonne of me pulling probes/run zealots/mine/pull probes/run around for the first 10 minutes.

Then I held his mass attack of ling/infestor/roach like a BOSS with sooo many forcefields.

He ended up stretching the game out for ages with his infestors; fungalling my many zealots which I had built for his many lings, sniping my 4th with a mass of infested terrans. I'm pretty sure he was all mined out in his main and nat and just had a continuous line of drones remote mining his third, which I had destroyed earlier.

Everyone check this video out

First couple minutes is okay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFXvrO0Rxuk

This is how I think that starcraft broadcasts would need to be edited to appeal to non-Starcraft players.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    That video is weird to me. I feel like none of the battles have any context in that format. Whether MC is behind and desperately needs to win this fight to not die or he's pushing in for the kill with a commanding lead greatly changes the feeling inspired by a fight. I'm not sure that removing the strategic aspects that make the game interesting to watch will attract viewers in the long term. It's like sitting in the unit tester and watching units fight. How quickly would that get old? We might have some stale match-ups (*cough* PvZ *cough*), but it seems like every game would seem the same if it was presented in this way.

It may just be that I can't follow what's going on when scenes change, as there's no indication of how much time has passed other than the minimap.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    edited April 2012
    Yilias wrote: »
    That video is weird to me. I feel like none of the battles have any context in that format. Whether MC is behind and desperately needs to win this fight to not die or he's pushing in for the kill with a commanding lead greatly changes the feeling inspired by a fight. I'm not sure that removing the strategic aspects that make the game interesting to watch will attract viewers in the long term. It's like sitting in the unit tester and watching units fight. How quickly would that get old? We might have some stale match-ups (*cough* PvZ *cough*), but it seems like every game would seem the same if it was presented in this way.

It may just be that I can't follow what's going on when scenes change, as there's no indication of how much time has passed other than the minimap.

That's my point. Those statistics and strategic aspects aren't interesting to people who don't play the game, and aren't interested in playing the game.

You think the average soccer or football player gets into the strategy behind player movements? No, they don't. They just tell their friends about the wicked sick goal they saw on the weekend game.

I'm not saying that this style of showing an SC2 match should replace the current style, but I can totally see how it is more appealing for someone less interested in the details of SC2, because everything looks more dramatic when its closeup with epic music.

Dhalphir on
    nice one!

• marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Still not promoted, BUT at least I am ranked 1 (for now) in silver; and this win makes me feel pret-ty good!
    f1mxJ.png

edit: oops looks like I over-shrunk that. If you can't read it he was a slightly-favoured platinum terran.

marty_0001 on
    What you see in that highlight reel is exactly that: highlights - the most action-packed parts of the game. Regular sports do the same thing; even cricket looks interesting when it's summarised into the news report!

And real sports do the same thing with their highlights, the just-right camera angles, slow-mo, appropriate soundtrack. In-game though there's plenty of just sitting and watching the players run around.

I personally do not follow any team sports so I can't speak from that perspective, which is the most mainstream one, but I do like watching tennis for similar reasons to SC2:
    - appreciation of ability and support/following of your favourite players
    - understanding of the game rules
    - the sum of a few individual games (like SC2 battles) has a significant impact on showing who has a lead, and makes comebacks more exciting
    - the gameplay itself has plenty of tense moments and you can easily appreciate the skill involved.

This contrasts with my view of football where I don't know what's going on and I don't care what or who the players are and it's super dull. I don't know how people come to follow particular sports; maybe it's just a social/upbringing thing. But I would think similar rules would apply to more people liking esports.

Dhal your kudos time travelled but rest assured they have been received, printed and filed with the rest.

• iowaiowa Registered User regular
    watching void ray cheese will never be exciting

ever

and they should have used the zoom in feature more its p cool

watching MC stream is gettin' me excited about Protoss again
    im like a ping pong ball

• theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    iowa wrote: »
    watching void ray cheese will never be exciting

ever

and they should have used the zoom in feature more its p cool

Funny, the first thought I had when I read your post was "bunker rush".

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    im like a ping pong ball

So what's stopping this ping pong ball from going over to the Zerg court?

Scared?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I watched MC stream this morning before work, he's hilarious and so good. Saw him wreck some protoss and zerg.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    why challenge yourself when you could just play one of the good races 8->

MMMig wrote: »
    im like a ping pong ball

Scared?

nothing about zerg is interesting or exciting

bazinga

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    im like a ping pong ball

Scared?

nothing about zerg is overpowered or easy

bazinga

ftfy

edited April 2012
    Anzekay wrote: »
    im like a ping pong ball

Scared?

nothing about zerg is overpowered or easy

bazinga

ftfy

True words, Dhaal.
    True words.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    narwhal wrote: »
    GUUUUUUUUYS!!!
    I am now one of the proofreaders/writers for GLHF magazine! :D:D:D

I wasn't able to post this last night, but congratulations!

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it's pretty easy to upgrade a shitload of lings and then make infestors

also I'd play zerg ten million times before I'd play protoss, just for the record

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    not until tomorrow night, what the fuck

okay, I know that previous season schedules were a bit too compressed, but they didnt need to be spread out this much.

I think it's also partly that there is no gstl still as of right now. so many days off.

also the code a nights have twice as many matches as they used to so they don't take as long anymore, I think.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    marty_0001 wrote: »
    Still not promoted, BUT at least I am ranked 1 (for now) in silver; and this win makes me feel pret-ty good!

Baller.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    On Stephano's stream, he's playing ZvZ on Metalopolis. Is there a reason he has pretty much no overlord spread? (No good creep spread, either.)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    kime wrote: »
    On Stephano's stream, he's playing ZvZ on Metalopolis. Is there a reason he has pretty much no overlord spread? (No good creep spread, either.)

creep spread isn't massively important in zvz - it's useful for vision and for hydras/slow roaches but not as crucial as in the other matchups

i didn't see that game so don't know if his opponent had mutas or hydras or something to clear them out, or if he just plain didn't bother

stephano does a lot of silly stuff on ladder that he can only do because he's stephano

Biosys on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Didn't see the game, but it sounds like he's being lazy (which he can get away with because his mechanics are so good). The only reason you might pull in your overlord net is mutas or hydras when you've lost map control. Creep spread tends to be a preference thing in zvz, but at least your bases should be connected (with OL poop or tumors).

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    kambing slowest poster

also slowest player

coincendence???

• KambingKambing Registered User regular
    Talked down by the 2nd best player in the UK. =(

@TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    You don't need more than 1 or 2 ovies out on the map if you're keeping your lings active but mostly pros are just lazy. You can always pull them back in time if you're poking enough

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »

It's easy to tell when Idra is behind. He ggs

Heyoooooooooooooo

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Or ahead.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    I like watching videos of when cheese fails, but damn if those lifesaglitch guys aren't painful as hell to listen to.

This discussion has been closed.