As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] Thread

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    Also compasses are for noobs. All you need is a watch.

that's true if you're somewhere where you can see the sun

It's also somewhat reliant on your latitude and time of year as to how easy it is. Around here it's pretty sweet most of the year.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I can sense true north at all times by using my penis as a divining rod.

but can it dowse for water

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    I envy the existence of proper wilderness in the US.

There isn't really anywhere in the UK where you could hike for days without encountering a main road. There's Dartmoor and Exmoor, but that's about it.

Dartmoor looks awesome, though. Killer ghost dogs aside.

Also a gravitational anomaly, prehistoric ruins, and the occasional unexploded ordnance from the military firing ranges.

It has a more fearsome reputation than it deserves, really. People get into trouble on it either because they learned to navigate by landmarks (which is easy to do pretty much everywhere else in the UK) rather than by bearing, or because they get caught out by the tendency of UK weather to veer schizophrenically from summer to winter throughout the course of the day and end up trying to find shelter from a snowstorm while dressed in shorts and a t-shirt.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

There isn't really anywhere in the UK where you could hike for days without encountering a main road. There's Dartmoor and Exmoor, but that's about it.

Also a gravitational anomaly, prehistoric ruins, and the occasional unexploded ordnance from the military firing ranges.

It has a more fearsome reputation than it deserves, really. People get into trouble on it either because they learned to navigate by landmarks (which is easy to do pretty much everywhere else in the UK) rather than by bearing, or because they get caught out by the tendency of UK weather to veer schizophrenically from summer to winter throughout the course of the day and end up trying to find shelter from a snowstorm while dressed in shorts and a t-shirt.
    My Dad and his best friend got lost on Dartmoor during a school trip. They ducked into a hollow for lunch and everybody else had vanished when they re-merged. Fun times.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I can sense true north at all times by using my penis as a divining rod.

but can it dowse for water

I don't want to put words in the ladies mouths.

It suddenly became 1:35am, good night [chat].

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

It's also somewhat reliant on your latitude and time of year as to how easy it is. Around here it's pretty sweet most of the year.

do you guys have much in the way of forest down there? my big problem with sun navigation is that the places I have gone in the past tend to be really densely-forested mountains like the Ozarks. The hollows, the low places, in areas like that can look like you're in twilight when it's 2pm. A compass is a godsend in those kind of situations.

• Options
    for real, a gravitational anomaly? that's awesome.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

There's a big bit of weirdly low density rock under that bit of the UK (it actually stretches out towards the Scilly isles), so local gravity is slightly lower than average (not in a noticeable way for a person or anything).

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

There's a gigantic chunk of buried granite under it, which is dense enough relative to the surrounding rock that the difference in density produces a measurable distortion in the local gravitational field. You'd need instruments and an experimental rig, though. It's not like everything gets heavier at a certain place or anything.

• Options

do you guys have much in the way of forest down there? my big problem with sun navigation is that the places I have gone in the past tend to be really densely-forested mountains like the Ozarks. The hollows, the low places, in areas like that can look like you're in twilight when it's 2pm. A compass is a godsend in those kind of situations.

Forest yes, dense forest not really.

Also the thought of wearing shorts in the UK is weird to me.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Interesting. I am reading about plutons now.

This alleviates but does not entirely cure the mild disappointment from learning that Dartmoor is not the UK's Bermuda Triangle.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

There's a big bit of weirdly low density rock under that bit of the UK (it actually stretches out towards the Scilly isles), so local gravity is slightly lower than average (not in a noticeable way for a person or anything).

There's a gigantic chunk of buried granite under it, which is dense enough relative to the surrounding rock that the difference in density produces a measurable distortion in the local gravitational field. You'd need instruments and an experimental rig, though. It's not like everything gets heavier at a certain place or anything.

Conflicting stories! D:

• Options
    Well we both agree that there's a big rock. And I could well be wrong with it being less dense than the surrounding stuff. I do have a terrible memory.

• Options

Conflicting stories! D:

THE DARTMOOR TRIANGLE STRIKES AGAIN

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular

My Dad and his best friend got lost on Dartmoor during a school trip. They ducked into a hollow for lunch and everybody else had vanished when they re-merged. Fun times.

Is your dad still at school?

Also, when I visited Stonehenge I kept getting headaches at the points where divining rods go mad. Therefore I think I am the proud descendants of either madmen or druids

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    Kalkino wrote: »

Is your dad still at school?

Also, when I visited Stonehenge I kept getting headaches at the points where divining rods go mad. Therefore I think I am the proud descendants of either madmen or druids

It's a complicated story involving a time machine and a box of wine.

• Options
    also, obligatory Charlie Brooker video

http://youtu.be/tz8vCFWa9D8

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    btw i basically live in an arcology and it is totally rad just fyi

• Options
    Pony wrote: »
    btw i basically live in an arcology and it is totally rad just fyi

I live in a converted stable and well, I have it better than the horse did I think

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    it is 5am and i am playing league of legends

sometimes i am an arrogant french lady with a sword

sometimes i am an adorable yordle

sometimes i am the mothafuckin birdman

but i am always rad as hell 8-)

• Options
    I live in an 80-year old semi-detached house.

My house is like one third of the age of the USA.

• Options
    Dartmoor, even its name, sounds like it belongs in Lovecraft Country.

I hear there's a transatlantic service between Dartmoor and Arkham.

• Options
    Now I want garlic bread.

I will make some garlic bread.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    so yesterday i ate a garlic bread because i woke up late and had a commitment in the evening

BAD IDEA

i dreamed of eating garlic bread all night

today i wanted garlic bread so bad

garlic bread

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Mornin' [chat]!

sig.gif
  • Options
    so yesterday i ate a garlic bread because i woke up late and had a commitment in the evening

BAD IDEA

garlic bread

you know what confuses the heck out of people when you go on about this

you're not even talking about normal garlic bread

you're talking about cheese bread from a pizza place

it's like saying you really wanted french fries when what you were really eating is poutine

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    it is 5am and i am playing league of legends

sometimes i am an arrogant french lady with a sword

sometimes i am an adorable yordle

sometimes i am the mothafuckin birdman

but i am always rad as hell 8-)

...at feeding?

• Options
    so i woke up on the floor a little bit ago

nooooooot entirely sure how long i was laying there

pretty sure i didn't fall down, given that i have no injuries it appears and i thiiiiiink i remember getting up from my chair to get a drink, then feeling woozy and sitting down

so i am pretty sure i went from a sitting position to passed out, which is not as bad, i guess

but still not good

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

GET OUT OF HERE STALKER

• Options

BAD IDEA

garlic bread

it's like saying you really wanted french fries when what you were really eating is poutine

its garlic

its bread

its garlic bread

• Options

BAD IDEA

garlic bread

its garlic

its bread

its garlic bread

there's also cheese

lots of it

and that is by far the worst part of it, health wise

• Options
    edited April 2012

BAD IDEA

garlic bread

its garlic

its bread

its garlic bread

eeeehhh

putting some shitty commercial food whole sale garlic spread on a shitty baguette/texas toast doesnt make it garlic bread

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options

pretty sure i didn't fall down, given that i have no injuries it appears and i thiiiiiink i remember getting up from my chair to get a drink, then feeling woozy and sitting down

so i am pretty sure i went from a sitting position to passed out, which is not as bad, i guess

but still not good

Doctor time?

• Options
    God damn it now I want an ab.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options

but still not good

Doctor time?

fun fact: I literally saw my doctor yesterday

i've been having some rather unpleasant health issues as of late

this fainting (and i'm pretty sure that's what happened) would likely just be representative of existing problems i have right now rather than indicative of a new problem

i think

• Options
    Apparently Valve has a handbook for new employees, man I would love to look through one. They seem to have the best "culture" inside the company.

imgur.com/a/s6dj0

• Options
    i've gone through basically as much self-assessment as i can muster

i woke up a little over half an hour ago off the kitchen floor. not sure how long i had been laying there

at some point prior to that i had gotten up to go get a drink, i drank it, felt dizzy, sat down on the kitchen floor with my back against the cupboards

pretty sure i fainted from there

i have no bruising, muscle pain, or other physical signs of injury, so i don't think i had a seizure or a TIA

i have a mild headache but golly if i have more time of having a headache than don't these days

so i am pretty sure i am "okay" in the sense that i am clearly unhealthy but not in any sort of serious medical distress

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Apparently Valve has a handbook for new employees, man I would love to look through one. They seem to have the best "culture" inside the company.

imgur.com/a/s6dj0

A Flatland reference. <3

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Well at least you didn't drop to the ground and hurt youself Pony, I glad you are "ok".

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    yeah, man. fingers crossed that this is just the shit you know about already.

This discussion has been closed.