As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CoD Sales on the Decline

TheJackoNerdTheJackoNerd The world's biggest nerd...EnglandRegistered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/2012/04/17/call-of-duty-sales-on-the-decline-with-modern-warfare-3/
Sales of Call of Duty games aren't what they used to be, say analysts. The most recent entry, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, is behind its hugely popular predecessor, Call of Duty: Black Ops, in lifetime-to-date sales. That's despite the fact the Modern Warfare 3 had a stronger initial debut than Black Ops did, which might worry Activision.

According to analyst firm Piper Jaffray, by way of Gamasutra, sales of Modern Warfare 3 are off by 4.2 percent, behind Black Ops' figures.

Last month, Modern Warfare 3 was the eighth bestselling video game in the United States, five months after its release. Sales of Modern Warfare 3 during the month of March were reportedly half of what Black Ops sold during the same period a year prior.

Analysts at Piper Jaffray point to casual video game players seeking their entertainment fix elsewhere, using their game consoles for streaming video and other media consumption.

Activision's silver lining to slower Call of Duty sales is its Elite service, which had attracted more than 1.5 million premium level subscribers as of January 31 of this year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-12-uk-2011-modern-warfare-3-sales-lower-than-2010-black-ops-sales
Call of Duty game Modern Warfare 3 sold fewer copies than Black Ops in the UK in a comparable time frame.
In 2011, Modern Warfare 3 shifted 2,814,609 copies, the Entertainment Retailers Association (ERA) has revealed (using data provided by weekly counter GfK Chart-Track).
In 2010, Black Ops shifted 3,266,298 copies.

And the great decline begins, as everyone predicted except Activision themselves. All I can say is "good".

sig.gif

Going to PAX East 2013/14 is my biggest goal right now. I plan to achieve it...
TheJackoNerd on

• ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    There's a whole thread for discussing the video game industry and related topics:
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/157942/video-game-industry-thread-master-chief-script-delivery-boy/p1

Not sure why a marginal decline in sales is such a big deal, but feel free to talk about it in the other thread.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    there's also a whole call of duty thread where people will attack you at CoD's defense for posting that even though they all hate the game and want it to die.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    there's also a whole call of duty thread where people will attack you at CoD's defense for posting that even though they all hate the game and want it to die.

You know whos fault it is?

Robert Bowling

He's the reason why this thread was posted here instead of in the industry thread.

Goddamn him and his lies

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »

Robert Bowling

He's the reason why this thread was posted here instead of in the industry thread.

Goddamn him and his lies

Actually the OP posted this in the industry thread too.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »

Robert Bowling

Goddamn him and his lies

Actually the OP posted this in the industry thread too.

And the CoD thread. Dude really wants people to know he finds a marginal decrease in CoD sales to be "good"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Well at least the OP did not end his post with "That is all."

To add to this thread I would have to guess that some people are either tired of the franchise mechanics or satisfied with the old games. MW3 still sold a fuckton of copies so a true decline I think isn't even truly visible yet.

steam_sig.png
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    You know I honestly can't remember if I played MW3.

That seems weird.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I don't buy the games for multiplayer but for the single player. The Infinity Ward games have been super fun interactive military action films for me. Hollywood has been going the cerebral route for military movies the past decade but Modern Warfare takes it back to the 80's-90's style action film level.

steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    This does not warrant a thread. Try the Industry thread or, you know, the CoD thread.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.