As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's a school thread)

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    A in organic chem :)

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tox wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    maybe i will post in here!

my mom died right as i went off to college out of high school and i couldn't handle the stress and flamed out. now i am sort of an adult (24) and i've been teaching myself to code for a while. i'd like to get a degree, though. i start at the local community college in september. english comp, discrete mathematics, calculus, programming and algorithm development.

it's been forever since i had any academic responsibilities and i am hoping i don't fuck up!

I know that feel, bro. I'm just finishing my second year (of three!) at CC. While I don't personally recommend such a heavy load, you'll be fine. Just focus, focus, focus.

Good luck. Keep your eyes on the prize.
    Organichu wrote: »
    maybe i will post in here!

my mom died right as i went off to college out of high school and i couldn't handle the stress and flamed out. now i am sort of an adult (24) and i've been teaching myself to code for a while. i'd like to get a degree, though. i start at the local community college in september. english comp, discrete mathematics, calculus, programming and algorithm development.

it's been forever since i had any academic responsibilities and i am hoping i don't fuck up!

Yea, my lesson from fucking up my first two years was: If you have a day where you are not doing any schoolwork outside of class, you should really find something to study. There is no way you actually already know everything. Constant study is wayyyyy better than that 16 hour adderall and tea fueled binge that permanantly sears a Coheed album in your mind and makes you associate it with that subject forever more.

oh hey, thanks y'all.

i actually intentionally scheduled an early friday class (previously my schedule had me off friday) so i don't have an excuse to lounge around doing nothing on any business days.

i am excited! hopefully soon they tabulate final costs so i can be issued my FA offer and start to shop for books and stuff.

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    this thread fills me with so much goddamn anxiety

my true motivation for doing as well as i do in school is so i have to actually think about it as little as possible so i don't have panic attacks

lfYVHTd.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    teacher said i did very well on the japanese final oral test

now like a week off then finals!

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    yay!

lfYVHTd.png
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    i asked if they wanted a drink

then offered them a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malasada

why is nomimono drink? it has nom in it.

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    that sounds pretty delicious

i'm gonna come to your weird little island some day

you can show me all of your traditional island delights

like spam and shaved ice

lfYVHTd.png
    you can get that in california probably
    or the internet

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    oh god i'm so close to done with year two of law school

all i have to do is study for one exam, and yet i still can't really be bothered

You can do it! Knock this one out of the park!

I'm in a similar boat, man. I took all of my finals during the first week of exams and now all I have to do is write a 16 page paper to meet the ABA requirement for my internship. Its ungraded (for credit only) but I can't be bothered to even start because I'm done with finals and graduation is on Saturday.

huh? i did an externship for credit this semester and definitely didn't have to write no 16 page paper

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, failed today's exam with flying colors because I came in late with only half an hour to go!

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    oh god i'm so close to done with year two of law school

all i have to do is study for one exam, and yet i still can't really be bothered

You can do it! Knock this one out of the park!

I'm in a similar boat, man. I took all of my finals during the first week of exams and now all I have to do is write a 16 page paper to meet the ABA requirement for my internship. Its ungraded (for credit only) but I can't be bothered to even start because I'm done with finals and graduation is on Saturday.

huh? i did an externship for credit this semester and definitely didn't have to write no 16 page paper

I wouldn't be surprised if my school made up the paper requirement.

At any rate, the academic adviser for my internship is making me write a 16 page paper for the 4 credit hours I got for the internship.

I wrote 2 pages today. Promptly ran out of gives a shit.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    i have a final on thursday in motor learning at 11, and one next monday at 8am. normal class time for the second one is 11. blehhh

i really need to do well on both of those tests

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    got both my finals tomorrow, and holy shit, studying for this philosophy one is straight up enraging

i've barely paid attention in that class so it's deffo my fault, sorta frustrating my own efforts here, but man i didn't remember until just now why i fucking hate philosophy classes

trying to read kierkegaard/heidegger/hegel is such a waste of time. like, i fundamentally understand and accept they're important figures of significant intellectual substance, but all i can picture is some sort of victorian version of aspergers paired with masturbation, like an eighteenth century social justice tumblr

fucking hate philosophy terminology, hate archaic writing styles, hate trying to make it relevant, gonna smash everything

Ahahaha!!!

I loved my philosophy courses.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    But @Fanyien if you need help just ask.

my intro philosophy class was so easy
    and everyone else was like Huhhhh

but god i do not want to study philosophy

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    My first philosophy class was the easiest class I took in college.

Past that I have only ever had troubles with one course, and that was a result of the professor being awful (and not the subject material).

i don't get how the other students were confused

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    I'd say philosophy, as an academic field, is really dependent on the lectures.

A bad instructor can be a terrible thing.

i thought our instructor and TA were fine
    though the TA was too combative for a 100 class

no one wanted to talk, which... is a problem

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    I took nine courses from the same philosophy professor. He ended up being my advisor too.

He was awesome. Used movie examples, encouraged class discussion, cancelled class on accounts of hockey games, taught us once drunk off of cough syrup, ect...

Yeah!

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I think I'd like to take a film course

just to watch movies

cause I've been on such a film watching streak lately. Saw Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, The Man from Nowhere, Me and You and Everyone We Know, and a few others.

Freakin' Netflix man.

Oghulk wrote: »
    Me and You and Everyone We Know

Yes

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
    Film courses are....

Well, they are sometimes good or bad.

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    4 of my 5 film studies courses were fantastic

the 5th made me want to die

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I wish Television Studies was a thing. I mean, aside from the odd Sociology of The Wire course.

Brian Krakow on
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    I only have one final I'm worried about, on Thursday. Need to get to studying on that one, but I can wrap that up with a good night of reading. The writing assignment will be a little harder, but if I'm as good a student as I think I am I can do it all day on Tuesday.

On another note, does anyone know anything about salvaging car parts, because I have a perfectly good engine with 89k miles on it that is begging for a good owner.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
    Me and You and Everyone We Know

Yes

That movie

is so fucking weird

next on my list to watch is Oldboy, followed by The Lincoln Lawyer, Limitless, Pay It Forward, The Fighter, and the Mothman Prophecies

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'll save you limitless: ADD medication, what if we made it BETTER????

moral of the story: pharmaceutics are how to get ahead in life

But

it's got a decent review on IMDB!

Meh

it looked stupid anyways from the first trailers I saw of it

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The biggest problem I run into with talky classes like that is that since it's CC, there's a lot of people who are fresh out of high school, and they're still in the "sit down, shut up" mentality, so they don't contribute as much. That's where I become really outspoken, because I can see the teacher wants the dialog from the class, so I just grab a seat up front and if it turns into a situation where it's basically just me and the professor and maybe two or three other students then shit, at least I'm getting my money's worth.

That's what it was like for about the first half of my Intro to Psych class, and World Religions.

Actually World Religions only took about two weeks to get people talking, because it's the bible belt and I was basically portraying the role of the non-monotheist, bouncing back and forth between advocating atheism and advocating polytheism, along with all the other -eisms. Basically whatever was logically the most opposite of what the group seemed to be saying, I went toward. The professor really loved me, because I challenged everything.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    See, when I was at CC, it was full of people older than me. I wasn't really surrounded by people who'd come straight from high school until I transferred to a four-year university.

Since I did, I've sometimes felt like the old lady who won't shut up in some of my classes. I can't help it; I've got opinions. At least I've had good participation grades.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    I was like that @Tox in my sociology 101 class.

But my classmates hated that I spoke up. They wanted no one to speak and for our professor to suffer.

Yeah...

One month

then I graduate

shit shit shit shit shit

In my Religion and Film class one day I not only defended Daniel Plainview from There Will Be Blood but got a third to half of the class to side with me.

I'm still pretty proud of that...

Oh man I need to see There Will Be Blood

caught like 10 minutes of it in the hotel before region theater competition and it was fantastic

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I was like that @Tox in my sociology 101 class.

But my classmates hated that I spoke up. They wanted no one to speak and for our professor to suffer.

Yeah...

That's what it was like for me at first. I got the distinct impression that everybody just wanted everyone to shut up, let the professor say whatever they had to say, and then we can all leave.

But they didn't realize it didn't work like that. Eventually people started being more conversational. So far my biggest regret is taking Intro to Politics online, because I would have trolled that class so hard, and it would have been awesome.

Psych 150 I didn't really troll because I actually didn't know a lot about it, and was learning a lot. I was still very chatty, but it was more about learning. World Religion was about conversation and applying critical thinking to the logical problems that prompted a lot of the religions, so it was a lot easier to be argumentative, because there wasn't a wrong answer (as opposed to psych, where there's just no right one).

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    a lot of philosophy is more interesting to me as history than it is as actual philosophy

like, as an illustration of how people thought then and how that affects the way we think now

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Meh

it looked stupid anyways from the first trailers I saw of it

It's not terrible, there's just... no real substance. I'd say watch it if you run out of other stuff, put it on like a third-tier list or something.

Alright

it seems like a third-tier type anyways

I am sad that There Will Be Blood isn't on Netflix though

This discussion has been closed.