As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (it's a school thread)

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Ethics is my favorite section/area of philosophy.

With American philosophy following.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BaronSamediBaronSamedi Same dude as yesterday. The AlamoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I ask this genuinely: What is American Philosophy? Is it all religious/free market stuff?

BaronSamedi on
    "Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I ask this genuinely: What is American Philosophy? Is it all religious/free market stuff?

Nah...

Its philosophy focused on the nature of America as written by Americans.

Some of it is about the rugged, frontier aspect early in America (this happens to by favorite). Other parts are on race relations and slavery.

Writers like Emerson, Thoreau, MLK Jr. and Cornel West fall into the sphere of American philosophy.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Oh man I need to see There Will Be Blood

caught like 10 minutes of it in the hotel before region theater competition and it was fantastic

Yes Yes Yes Yes

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    See, I never associated Thoreau, Emerson and King with philosophy. I am dumb, or at least poorly schooled. So suffragists, and guys like Rawls, and so on as well I assume? (Stupid lit class teaching this as literature and not philosophy)

"Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit, and your shit is stuff?"--George Carlin
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Oh man I need to see There Will Be Blood

caught like 10 minutes of it in the hotel before region theater competition and it was fantastic

Yes Yes Yes Yes

I think I'll try to find it at the local hastings this week to rent

I would hope and think they have it

• Options
    Yep.

Its a pretty big sphere of current day philosophy, which is why I try to limit it in scope to philosophers discussing aspects of America (as opposed to simply being American).

But seriously, philosophy on America's struggles on the frontier is so fucking good.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    So I'm writing the rough draft of this application essay, and it occurs to me: not sure where to go with this. This is my first paragraph:
    I consider myself fortunate to have discovered my passion at an early age; I graduated high school with a sense of purpose but no sense of direction. 4 years passed, however, and something happened; I rediscovered plants. The horticultural world has always been in my background, surrounding so much of what I did growing up. As kids me and my friends would pluck, much to our mother's chagrin, the giant Birds of Paradise that grew in their yards, and adorn the playhouse with them. Covered in an accent of birch boughs and bamboo clippings, the playhouse became an Amazon outpost for us to get lost within our imaginations. My grandmother was also always one to encourage my agricultural side; through her I learned the value of saving seeds, and what plants repelled which insects, and that in her small apartment, no garden was too small. All of this came flooding back to me when I started working in a local nursery, and as the racks of plants came in daily, an expanse of foreign names and data was opened up to me, and I quickly found myself lost in it. All of this pertains to where I stand today; through all the specimens I have planted, the discoveries I've found on the trail, and anytime I find that eliciting joy through new literature, I desire more. The next step, the obvious step for me, is to pursue this through a higher education.

I think (1) I might be rambling just a bit, and (2) maybe I need to get to my point, the last paragraph, quicker, and brace it up with details in the second paragraphs. Also, I tried looking up examples of application essays online, and they don't even seem to be putting forth an argument that 'yes you should accept me'. One was just, well, fiction, with 'aren't I awesome' practically written in the end. Help.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Nah...

Some of it is about the rugged, frontier aspect early in America (this happens to by favorite). Other parts are on race relations and slavery.

Writers like Emerson, Thoreau, MLK Jr. and Cornel West fall into the sphere of American philosophy.

this sounds like it isn't philosophy, except insofar as everything is philosophy

what it sounds like is history and cultural studies

• Options

Nah...

this sounds like it isn't philosophy, except insofar as everything is philosophy

Ta-Da!!!

But because you can't limit philosophy....

• Options
    edited May 2012

Nah...

Ta-Da!!!

But because you can't limit philosophy....

well

i mean, words don't just mean what you want them to mean

technically i'm studying physics because on some level everything is physics

but i don't go around telling people that my favourite kind of physics is literary physics and it's the physics of how books work on the imagination

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Crimson, you do not want to go down this path.

• Options
  • Options
    Philosophy: the study of metaphysics.

• Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Gotta go to school

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Someone finish this Sociology paper for me. Just have two more paragraphs. One that is an examination of present-day circumstances involving our sample group, the latter a paragraph that cites two moments from our assigned materials that back up points made in my paper.

Honestly I could do this in <20 minutes but I'm just going to keep torturing myself over it.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Ethics is my favorite section/area of philosophy.

With American philosophy following.

Metaphysics, dawg.

sogood.jpg

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    How good?

So fucking good!

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    So I'm writing the rough draft of this application essay, and it occurs to me: not sure where to go with this. This is my first paragraph:
    I consider myself fortunate to have discovered my passion at an early age; I graduated high school with a sense of purpose but no sense of direction. 4 years passed, however, and something happened; I rediscovered plants. The horticultural world has always been in my background, surrounding so much of what I did growing up. As kids me and my friends would pluck, much to our mother's chagrin, the giant Birds of Paradise that grew in their yards, and adorn the playhouse with them. Covered in an accent of birch boughs and bamboo clippings, the playhouse became an Amazon outpost for us to get lost within our imaginations. My grandmother was also always one to encourage my agricultural side; through her I learned the value of saving seeds, and what plants repelled which insects, and that in her small apartment, no garden was too small. All of this came flooding back to me when I started working in a local nursery, and as the racks of plants came in daily, an expanse of foreign names and data was opened up to me, and I quickly found myself lost in it. All of this pertains to where I stand today; through all the specimens I have planted, the discoveries I've found on the trail, and anytime I find that eliciting joy through new literature, I desire more. The next step, the obvious step for me, is to pursue this through a higher education.

I think (1) I might be rambling just a bit, and (2) maybe I need to get to my point, the last paragraph, quicker, and brace it up with details in the second paragraphs. Also, I tried looking up examples of application essays online, and they don't even seem to be putting forth an argument that 'yes you should accept me'. One was just, well, fiction, with 'aren't I awesome' practically written in the end. Help.

this strikes me as a good second paragraph. the first paragraph for something like an application essay should be a lot clearer with the essentials (i am a person who wants to go to your school because of reasons). it doesn't necessarily have to be super interesting; it has to give the person reading your essay the broad strokes, which you can then elucidate on in the body of the essay.

there isn't like a set "this is the perfect application essay." clearly you're passionate about the subject and that comes through in the writing, and i think that is what makes whatever train of thought you're starting here a good one.

• Options
    Honestly I could do this in <20 minutes but I'm just going to keep torturing myself over it.

my entire goddamn life

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I'm a little ashamed that these are the first things that came to mind

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »

I'm a little ashamed that these are the first things that came to mind

The first people that came to mind were Rand and Edwards...So unfortunately, yeah. I was educated in Texas, and it hasn't been a bad education, but I'm not going to say the way everything was framed was correct. After thinking on it longer, and after Zonugal's posts more real philosophy/ers came to mind, (pragmatism and naturalism and a lot of the stuff of the Founding Fathers (Common Sense)) but I'm not sure that I have ever thought of America as a source for philosophy.

I'm willing to admit that the fault for that is all on me.

• Options
    Happy to educate any time!

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I have to decide which two schools to send my merit scholar reccomendations to, dunno why I can only choose two though.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    Last week: HEY GUYS EVERYBODY GET YOUR WORK IN EARLY SO I CAN HAVE YOUR FINAL GRADES READY BEFORE I RUN OFF TO AMSTERDAM OR SOMETHING HUSTLE HUSTLE HUSTLE

This week: ::crickets::

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have to decide which two schools to send my merit scholar reccomendations (sic - WHO'S THE MERIT SCHOLAR NOW?) to, dunno why I can only choose two though.

Probably because if everybody who got it sent recommendations to every school they wanted, then A) there would be a lot more recommendations to process, and B) the brand might be devalued.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    ok yeah that makes sense.

there is a weird sort of strategy to it though, like sending it to a college that's not your first pick because it's more exclusive than your first choice, stuff like that

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    The idea is that it makes you feel special because you have NMS recommendations to send, it makes the schools feel special because you chose them for your limited supply of recommendations, and it makes the NMS people feel special because they're the puppetmasters behind the whole process and their brand is seen as prestigious and exclusive.

Mostly the first and third ones, though. If you want to make a school actually feel special, you have to endow a chair or something.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    ugh i've had six cups of coffee and 12 ozs of red bull and four cigarettes this morning while frantically trying to cram more for philosophy

i'm less enraged then i was yesterday because i've been penetrating the work fairly effectively

sitting here looking at the essay questions that are gon be on the test, though, i'm all "oh fuck"

@zonugal dogg I couldn't find this anywhere in my textbook/brain, what are Kierkegaards three forms of despair

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, looks like I'll be in this thread now; officially going back to school for an MBA in Sept. Going to be a bit weird quitting the workforce after 4 years, but far as I can tell it's the only way to get out of the 40-60 salary range before I hit 40. Plus, sales is kind of boring after a while.

Still, when I think of MBAs, I just think of this and this.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    philosophy is dumb

all my books got pictures

8-)

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    this particular philosophy book has tons of comics in it, and looking at my brothers old books, that isn't an uncommon thing

anyway took my exam, i think i did pretty good but i felt that way last time and got a 73 or something. i got a 93 on my big paper in there, though, so hopefully i get can like an ~80 on this one and average out to a low B, which would actually be a big accomplishment for my pathetic ass

positive i got an A in the other class but i always get As in history classes because they're easy

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    @Fandyien, yo!

1. Being unconscious in despair of having a self.
    2. Not wanting in despair of one's self.
    3. Wanting in despair to be one's self.

• Options
    Vann, you have cut me deep.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    philosophy is dumb

all my books got pictures

8-)

my books have the best pics

photo3.jpg

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    I don't really like philosophy. Probably because I've got it All Figured Out, already. Also, because it seems to be squeezing out my field, at least at my school.

• Options
    What do you mean, you have it all figured out?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Two As so far. One is confirmed, the other is all but. Third class is an almost definite B, with a very small chance of an A and an even smaller chance of a C. Fourth class is probably a B, but a small chance of pulling out an A, depending on how she grades both my essay and the final exam.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Man I had everything figured out by the time I turned 14.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular

I mean that I'm pretty set in my own way of thinking. I realize that's my flaw.

But now that I think about it, my main problem with philosophy is that it seems to train people to miss the forest for the trees.

This discussion has been closed.