As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend: Everything for one purchase price, 6 maps, shielded assests, SHOCKLANCE!

• PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    Started playing this the other day to test out my newly upgraded PC. Added my name to the player list and steam group, mainly just been playing Deathmatch so far as I imagine with Capture the Flag in public no one will really know what they're doing (in fairness neither do I)

teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    I got my first 'gotta go fast' last night as an INF on Crossfire. Playing DS, there's a rather large hill beside the BE side. I jump jet all the way up till out, then fall on the downslope. I jet a bit to catch the down slope of the next hill, bounce up, then if they put a shield too far up, or their gens are down, I'll glide right through.

The hard part is turning after that. :P I'm sure a pathfinder could do that WAY better than my Inf.

steam_sig.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Haven't played team based multiplayer anything in a while, forgot how game exitingly frustrating it is to be on a team of complete window lickers.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    Just unlocked the grenade launcher. It took discipline to keep myself from just buying whatever I could after each match. It's pretty satisfying so far, and should really expand my flag harassment capabilities. Takes some time to get used to, but I already figured out if you have someone chasing you, you can just fire it straight down and if they come right for you, they'll eat it, and if they change course, that opens some room for you.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    Wow, the jackal seems really imbalanced. I've never really had a problem with it being used against me, but I feel guilty with some of the ridiculous kills I've gotten with it.

This game keep getting fresher and fresher as I unlock more of the stuff. The Jackal made this a whole new game for me.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    the jackal is some garbage

I assume the main reason you don't notice it being so ridiculous is that not that many people have them yet

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    also, what do the +% damage to armor upgrades actually do? What things count as 'armored?'

NREqxl5.jpg
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    also, what do the +% damage to armor upgrades actually do? What things count as 'armored?'

Gens, turrets, sensors and vehicles?

PNA1v.jpg
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    wait, as a tech will a turret shoot a generator/turret/radar?

I thought armored meant vehicles and heavies.

steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    No, heavies are not classed as armored.

Flock got it right, as far as I know.

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yeah Flock is correct. Permanent base equipment + vehicles.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular

I assume the main reason you don't notice it being so ridiculous is that not that many people have them yet

Well, I've been playing a lot of pathfinder so I think I dodge most jackal attacks pretty easily. Most of the time I've been killed by one is when an INF boobytraps an entry or inv station. Also, I tend to serpentine a lot when in pursuit, so the average player fires at a weird angle.

I believe 'armored targets' refer to: base turrets, sensors, force fields, vehicles and player placed turrets, I may be wrong though.

Also, what do you all like to play in TDM? I've been trying out the Tech lately. I usually set up a little ganking area around a inv station with turrets. I then ski through a group of enemies and try to get a few to chase me up to the turreted area.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    Has anyone else often had the experience of fighting indoors, accidentally land on an inv station, panic as you're trapped for a second, and rage as you quickly die? Seems to happen to me at least once a match (well, when I go defense that is).

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    No, but I don't often fight indoors. You might want to just take a few minutes to mentally get a fix on where all the interior stations are.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    I did that the other day outdoors

I was skiing backwards, and suddenly *clunk* inventory station

NREqxl5.jpg
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    wait, as a tech will a turret shoot a generator/turret/radar?

I thought armored meant vehicles and heavies.

I think it will shoot at anything, but yes, that's one of the stupider upgrades.

• Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    Forbe! wrote: »

Well, I've been playing a lot of pathfinder so I think I dodge most jackal attacks pretty easily. Most of the time I've been killed by one is when an INF boobytraps an entry or inv station. Also, I tend to serpentine a lot when in pursuit, so the average player fires at a weird angle.

I believe 'armored targets' refer to: base turrets, sensors, force fields, vehicles and player placed turrets, I may be wrong though.

Also, what do you all like to play in TDM? I've been trying out the Tech lately. I usually set up a little ganking area around a inv station with turrets. I then ski through a group of enemies and try to get a few to chase me up to the turreted area.

I tried out Tech in TDM today with Soulgate. It was pretty fun, though I think the key to it is joining a large battle in progress and setting up when no one notices. I did have some good luck setting up near inventory stations on the outskirts of maps. Players didn't seem to expect turrets so far out.

• mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm still not a fan of Raindance for CTF. Was it originally a Tribes 1 map? The map setup makes a whole lot more sense if skiing wasn't a thing.

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I quite like playing soldier on raindance and focusing on chasing. It's great because I can stand on the top of the flag tower, see when people are coming to get the flag, jet up, hit them with a thumper when they hit the flagstand and then still have enough height to get some good speed when I land to chase them. Also, I just randomly chase people who come towards our base. Because skiing duels are great fun.

I'm finding that a lot of the time, it's not even worth chasing the flag carrier. They come through so quickly I can't even catch up to them.

It kind of bothers me that the best flag defense really is to have someone pick up the other team's flag.

mrflippy wrote: »
    I'm finding that a lot of the time, it's not even worth chasing the flag carrier. They come through so quickly I can't even catch up to them.

It kind of bothers me that the best flag defense really is to have someone pick up the other team's flag.

I disagree. The best flag defense is a heavy on flag, well placed/timed force fields and mines, a sniper with steady aim who calls out incoming targets, a pathfinder that MAs or Nitrons the enemy flag runner as he grabs the flag and then chases. Flag defense is a team effort.

Inquisitor wrote: »

I disagree. The best flag defense is a heavy on flag, well placed/timed force fields and mines, a sniper with steady aim who calls out incoming targets, a pathfinder that MAs or Nitrons the enemy flag runner as he grabs the flag and then chases. Flag defense is a team effort.

Ideally, sure, but in reality I've found that it often comes down to whether we can pick up the other team's flag and keep them from capping that way.

edited April 2012
    I mean sure, that does happen, and then it becomes a stand off, and pubs don't seem to have a good grasp of what to be doing during one.

Then whoever wins the standoff gets the point.

Inquisitor on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm still not a fan of Raindance for CTF. Was it originally a Tribes 1 map? The map setup makes a whole lot more sense if skiing wasn't a thing.

Since the map rotation is static and I love Temple Ruins and Sunstar both, I tend to just jump out of the queue when Raindance comes up and find another game. Nothing about it is fun. Every other map I can deal with, even if I don't love it (Crossfire I'm looking at you). But the sheer terribleness of Raindance is in no way mitigated by the nostalgia factor. Nothing about T:A works properly on that map.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    Temple Ruins is probably my least favorite map in the current rotation, I just find it super boring.

Outside of the awful gen room (which you just end up ignoring because it's basically untakeable) I quite like Raindance. I'm surprised to hear that you guys dislike it so much.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Raindance is my favorite map for skiing. So many hills.

There's no point in chasing if you are not already moving by the time they have got the flag. I find chasing is quite effective when you put yourself someplace high, see them coming in and are already moving to intercept long before they get the flag. Beyond some absurd routes, I have yet to be outraced by someone unless I really stuff up, and I'm playin soldier with AR and thumper (although I did get a free spinfusor from somewhere, so I should try that up when my computer is no longer dead). And I am still kinda rubbish.

I can chase like 95% of the flag grabs that go down on pubs starting from a deadstop. Of course, flag runs on pubs isn't exactly a highbar... but still. Thrust pack, nitron, nitron and you are going quite fast. I'm still trying to figure out which perks exactly I like for chasing. You see chasing happen plenty in competitive play too. Blink's stream is a great place to see some high level chasing.

Thrust pack is next on my list of things to buy. I'm hoping it will help me chase.

Wait yeah, I was mostly talking about the absurdly fast cappers. Should have specified. So many others can be chased from a standing position, even without all the cool pathfinder stuff.

I consider the thrust pack to be essential to chasing to the point that I don't really think you can really chase at all without it. With no thrust pack you'd be better off hanging around the middle of the map and trying to intercept flag runners in the middle of the map.

It's one of the few examples in T:A where I feel spending money/exp gives you a truly marked advantage. Then again, chasing is a more advanced role. A brand new player probably isn't going to have the skiing ability and aim to chase very well anyway (I'm still pretty miserable at it). By the time you have the ropes enough to chase you should probably have enough exp to get the pack. But with or without the thrust pack is basically night and day when it comes to chasing.

Level up your route #2 is out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48bkRVtYKOE&feature=youtube_gdata

I think this is a pretty great initiative on Bowie's part, great stuff for anyone wanting to learn flag running.

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    So is there any way to disable the annoying glass breaking/screen shaking effect when you get hit? I'm terrible enough at FPS games as it is, but being in a fight with someone and not being able to see where they are makes it worse.

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    good lord, I think I'm done with tribes, at least arena, I joined a game and a guy my level used only the assault rifle and literally destroyed me and my team single handedly, its like he could not miss with the thing and it ate me alive. I don't usually ragequit from games but tribes seems to trigger that in me quite a bit

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Tried this last night for the first time.

Gonna try this again.....

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    good lord, I think I'm done with tribes, at least arena, I joined a game and a guy my level used only the assault rifle and literally destroyed me and my team single handedly, its like he could not miss with the thing and it ate me alive. I don't usually ragequit from games but tribes seems to trigger that in me quite a bit
    Sounds like a smurf account. "I've unlocked everything, let's make a new account and pwn lower levels lol"

• nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    citizen059 wrote: »
    So is there any way to disable the annoying glass breaking/screen shaking effect when you get hit? I'm terrible enough at FPS games as it is, but being in a fight with someone and not being able to see where they are makes it worse.

If someone does know how to do this, I'd love to know. Nothing worse than getting a drop on somebody and then missing 100% of your shots because he hit you once and you can't aim straight anymore. I suppose its possible to get used to the shake and adjust your shots, but I have trouble shooting straight just with the lag alone. Its like my inheritance gets "stuck" and shots start dropping out of my gun or pulling to the side.

nonoffensive on
    You get used to it, honestly I don't even notice it these days.

• GlocjtGlocjt catstronaut in spaaace.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I consider the thrust pack to be essential to chasing to the point that I don't really think you can really chase at all without it. With no thrust pack you'd be better off hanging around the middle of the map and trying to intercept flag runners in the middle of the map.

It's one of the few examples in T:A where I feel spending money/exp gives you a truly marked advantage. Then again, chasing is a more advanced role. A brand new player probably isn't going to have the skiing ability and aim to chase very well anyway (I'm still pretty miserable at it). By the time you have the ropes enough to chase you should probably have enough exp to get the pack. But with or without the thrust pack is basically night and day when it comes to chasing.

Yeah, I hear you...I'm pretty new, and have tried chasing a couple of times, and it's pretty difficult, especially if I misjudge some skiing (which happens more than I'd like to admit). Redirecting and getting up to speed is pretty hard without the thrust pack.

On the up side, I've settled a bit into a DS role over the weekend and I'll likely play that for a while until I get better at skiing and actually set some time aside to learn flagging/chasing routes.