As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wifi, PC Gaming and You

kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
edited April 2012 in Games and Technology
I managed to get a hold of a free gaming rig, and it has rekindled my desire to game on the PC. I've never had my gaming rig be connected to the internets by anything other than a wire, but given the layout of my apartment wireless is really the only viable option. The rig has no WiFi to speak of, so I'm actually just running a cable into the Airport Express that I've got in my room acting as an Airplay streaming point. This seems to work well, but I'm curious if there are discreet WiFi cards that I can purchase that might give me slightly better performance and one less cable running across my room. If I'm not likely to see much or any improvement, I'll probably stick with the cheap option.

My home network consists of a Time Capsule (2011 revision) which shoots glorious N-band WiFis out into my tiny apartment. The Airport Express is also a similar vintage, and is N as well.

Edit: Just to be clear the Airport Express I am plugged into is merely logged into my WiFi network, it is not doing any kind of network repeating or any such nonesense. All devices are running the latest firmware because I am OCD.

Thoughts?

kingmetal on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't know much/anything about this so really you should just wait until someone with brains stops into the thread, BUT: what's your speed like right now? If you're doing pretty well I'm not sure it's worth buying a new Wi-Fi card, because aside from having a nicer antenna or whatever I'm not sure it can be faster than your Airport Express.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    You will find much better help by posting in the Technology Tavern. Check out the threads in there before making a new one.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.