As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I have doomsday devices in place in the event we don't get a Bayonetta 2. So, if these rumors pan out, sorry guys... but I gotta blow up the world. I'm doing us all a favor, really.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I have doomsday devices in place in the event we don't get a Bayonetta 2. So, if these rumors pan out, sorry guys... but I gotta blow up the world. I'm doing us all a favor, really.

By doomsday device, do you mean you're throwing a giant angel/demon/god into the sun?

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    PSO2 is shaping up to be an entertaining F2P game. I played some of the beta. With how successful F2P games end up being, when done right, Sega could be digging themselves out of the hole.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Sucks about Bayonetta 2 if true. Really enjoyed that game. Looks like Bayonetta DLC in Anarchy Reigns may be the closest we'll get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc07-GephKQ

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    When Sega finally goes under, I hope they sell the Sonic IP to Nintendo

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Press release headline for announcement of first Nintendo Sonic game: Nintendo develops what Nintendon't

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://gamasutra.com/view/feature/169159/the_origins_of_night_trap_an_.php
    [In the 1980s, Atari founder Nolan Bushnell's startup Axlon was formed to create electronic toys and games -- and toy company Hasbro bankrolled the development of Project NEMO, a VHS video-based console. Former journalist Tom Zito became its head of marketing -- an outspoken proponent of the marriage of Hollywood and games. In this extract from Jamie Russell's new book Generation Xbox: How Video Games Invaded Hollywood, you'll find the story of one of the most infamous 1990s video games, Night Trap -- long before it landed on the Sega CD.]

The celebrated building is no stranger to celebrity, either. Over the years, the distinctive bunker has played host to Hollywood talent like Bob Hope and Errol Flynn. But between 1983 and 1994 it was better known to theatregoers as Il Vittoriale -- the central location for Tamara, a unique play about politics and scandal in '20s Italy.

Unlike most conventional theatre, Tamara had a brilliant selling point. Staged in the American Legion building, the play asked its audience to follow the actors as they moved from room to room. You didn't simply sit and watch the drama that unfolds as Polish artist Tamara de Lempicka is seduced by Italian poet Gabriele d'Annunzio, you became part of it.

With as many as nine parallel stories running in 13 different rooms over three floors, the audience had to make choices: would you follow mysterious chauffeur Mario? Or were you intrigued by the arch seducer D'Annunzio? Did you want to know the story behind the house's pretty maid, or was the fascist policeman a more interesting character? Depending on what you chose and where you went, you might witness a suicide on the first floor but miss a lesbian tryst that was happening downstairs in the scullery.

Tamara became the basis for a five-minute demo of NEMO's live-action video capabilities called Scene of the Crime, co-created by Fulop and Riley. Styled as an Agatha Christie-style whodunit, the demo was a radical re-imagining of what a video game could be.

Instead of moving 8-bit pixels around a screen, you were being asked to drive a narrative, each choice leading you to another piece of filmed footage featuring real-life actors. Just as Tamara had offered different perspectives on the story, so Scene of the Crime jumped between characters and points of view as the player tried to solve the mystery by watching and interacting with video clips.

As far as Hasbro's executives were concerned, they were witnessing the evolution of the industry Atari had started. The console, attached to a VCR that it used to load the data from VHS tapes, looked nothing like the Nintendo NES. And neither did the game it played.

"The immediate assumption was that this was a huge leap in video games," recalls Fulop. "They were like, 'Wow, just imagine video games with live footage.'" After watching Scene of the Crime's rather adult whodunit plot unfold, Hasbro's suits offered just one instruction: "This is great. Now go and make it for kids." Zito and his team were about to become filmmakers. It was a huge step.

Seeing real actors on-screen was also something many non-gamers felt comfortable with. According to Riley, it was often the adults who brought children to Hasbro play tests who were most impressed by NEMO.

"The parents would bring in their kids to play the games and then go snack on refreshments," he recalls. "But the minute the adults saw real images on the monitors, they'd walk over. We watched fathers dragging the controllers out of the hands of their sons! They were amazed because this wasn't a cartoon, it was TV. They'd say: 'OK, I get it, I can do this -- TV is my world. Wow! I can interact with it!'"

This was the revolution that Zito had envisioned early on, a redefinition of television itself for a mass audience of casual gamers. "We were trying to change the definition of a video game," he says. "[We thought that] if you give people what they're most used to, namely television, and make it interactive you've opened up a much bigger opportunity. [But] that may have been unfounded. In other words it may be that when people watch TV they don't want to interact with it. They just want to sit on the couch and become mindless."

From Hasbro's perspective, the concept was certainly worth further development although there were already concerns. "We knew it was flawed and we were disappointed by the play experience that was generated by the project," says Barry Alperin, who headed up the project for the toymaker. But since Hasbro had already sunk millions into NEMO's development -- setting up an R&D lab in California and flying out to Taiwan to fabricate the chip-sets needed to power the console -- the decision was taken to keep on going. The hope was that the problems could be ironed out.

Renting sound stages, setting up film crews and hiring actors clearly didn't come cheap. Night Trap's production costs came to $1 million. Although Hasbro was rolling in profits -- thanks largely to the dynamic leadership of then chief executive Stephen Hassenfeld -- the toy company had its limits. If NEMO was going to continue, they decided, they needed to find a production partner in Hollywood who would be willing to finance future shoots, or a licensor who would let the programmers use footage from an existing movie or TV property.

Zito, who was convinced that NEMO was the beginning of a much bigger revolution in interactive television, was adamant about the next step: they needed to get the major motion picture studios onboard. Hasbro, hemorrhaging cash, was only too happy to agree. NEMO -- by now dubbed the Hasbro Control-Vision -- was going to Hollywood. But like a naïve, young starlet hoping to be in pictures, NEMO's wide-eyed dreams of fame and fortune would be shattered on the casting couch.
    FMV? IT CAN'T FAIL!

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I just read that Nolan Bushnell's latest project, a restaurant called uWink that features the ability to play vidja games at your table, also tanked.

The guy just can't catch a break.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Edge just did an article called The Life of the Lone Programmer with quotes from me and Luke Schneider (of Radiangames):

http://www.edge-online.com/features/life-lone-programmer

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Nothing would sell me on a WiiU quicker than Nintendo owning the IP rights to everything Sega. They have some many amazing properties that they don't really do anything with that would in with Nintendo so well. Plus, it would give Nintendo a ton of titles they could have in their online store as virtual console games exclusive - the Sega published Genesis library alone would be a huge thing to have exclusive rights to.

• Options
    Given that many of Sega's old games are available on Steam, I would hate for Nintendo to gain the rights to them only to see those Steam titles pulled. Plus, I don't really see Nintendo doing much with the Sega IPs that I actually care about like Panzer Dragoon & Phantasy Star.

• Options
    I think the hurdle there is that they've pretty much published that back catalog on every platform already. Probably not going to excite many people.

Though, Wii U Chu Chu Rocket could be amazing.

• Options
    Toejam and Earl can be renamed to Wario and Waluigi.

• Options
    Sega could just take 16 bit games, do some layering work to put them in 3d on the 3DS and I'd buy every single one of them - Ecco the Dolphin, Toe Jam & Earl, Decap Attack, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Dynamite Heady, Kid Chameleon, Streets of Rage, Eternal Champions, etc. Even without the 3d, give me a barebones "Genesis Collection" for my 3ds and I'll buy it.

I just don't get why they don't take advantage of their IP very well.

• Options
    Sega could just take 16 bit games, do some layering work to put them in 3d on the 3DS and I'd buy every single one of them - Ecco the Dolphin, Toe Jam & Earl, Decap Attack, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Dynamite Heady, Kid Chameleon, Streets of Rage, Eternal Champions, etc. Even without the 3d, give me a barebones "Genesis Collection" for my 3ds and I'll buy it.

They've released Genesis games on just about every major game device in the past few years - PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, PS2. They'll probably release a Genesis collection on the 3DS before too long.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    If they released the original Toejam and Earl with goddamn netplay on ANYTHING, I would buy it.

I loved that game.

• Options

They've released Genesis games on just about every major game device in the past few years - PC, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, PSP, PS2. They'll probably release a Genesis collection on the 3DS before too long.

They've even made sequels to these games. There was a Toe Jam & Earl 3 on the Xbox. A Gunstar Heroes Sequel on the GBA as well.

A good amount of Sonic Games showed up on the GBA as well.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Given that many of Sega's old games are available on Steam, I would hate for Nintendo to gain the rights to them only to see those Steam titles pulled. Plus, I don't really see Nintendo doing much with the Sega IPs that I actually care about like Panzer Dragoon & Phantasy Star.

Considering Sega's long history of carefully considering all their options and then choosing the worst possible one, if they ever do decide to go through their stable of IP, I fully expect them to announce the return of a beloved classic franchise, market the heck out of it with teaser websites and countdown clocks, schedule a massive conference at E3, and proudly reveal to the entire world that their development teams have been working around the clock to bring us Bug! 3.

• Options
    A new studio enteres the brawl:
    Three of the developers behind recent BioShock games have started their own studio, called The Fullbright Company, with the simple goal to "make a great game." The Fullbright Company is Steve Gaynor, Johnnemann Nordhagen and Karla Zimonja. As Gaynor describes it, perhaps their goal isn't so "simple" after all:

"A memorable experience that you'll be drawn into, and keep thinking about after the game's turned off, and want to come back to again someday. An experience that gets away from the constraints of ossified game genres, while relying on what we're good at as a team: creating immersive places to inhabit, and a deep, personal story to explore at your own pace. A nonviolent game in an unfantastical locale; an experience that not many games provide, built out of techniques that only video games can employ."

The trio have worked on BioShock 2, Minerva's Den, BioShock Infinite and XCOM. Gaynor wrote and was design lead on Minerva's Den, if that gives anyone confidence in this new studio. Fullbright promises more updates and information on its site "soon."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/30/three-ex-bioshock-devs-form-the-fullbright-company/

Also Gamestop's going to start accepting Samsung Android phones as trade-ins.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/29/report-gamestop-to-add-samsung-android-devices-to-trade-in-list/

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

So about the same as what Sega is doing with them. :P

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Three of the developers behind recent BioShock games have started their own studio, called The Fullbright Company, with the simple goal to "make a great game." The Fullbright Company is Steve Gaynor, Johnnemann Nordhagen and Karla Zimonja. As Gaynor describes it, perhaps their goal isn't so "simple" after all:

"A memorable experience that you'll be drawn into, and keep thinking about after the game's turned off, and want to come back to again someday. An experience that gets away from the constraints of ossified game genres, while relying on what we're good at as a team: creating immersive places to inhabit, and a deep, personal story to explore at your own pace. A nonviolent game in an unfantastical locale; an experience that not many games provide, built out of techniques that only video games can employ."

The trio have worked on BioShock 2, Minerva's Den, BioShock Infinite and XCOM. Gaynor wrote and was design lead on Minerva's Den, if that gives anyone confidence in this new studio. Fullbright promises more updates and information on its site "soon."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/30/three-ex-bioshock-devs-form-the-fullbright-company/

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/29/report-gamestop-to-add-samsung-android-devices-to-trade-in-list/
    What are the chances of it being a iPhone game?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Couscous wrote: »

What are the chances of it being a iPhone game?

I hear Vegas has set the odds at 50-50. Easy money.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Ow my brain.
    Would you look at that? NVIDIA hinted it would be coming today, and it looks like the tease is living up to the hype. The company stormed into the weekend at its Shanghai Game Festival by unleashing its latest offering, the GeForce GTX 690 -- and oh yeah, it's packing two 28nm Kepler GPUs! Trumping the recently released GTX 680 as the "worlds fastest graphics card," it's loaded with a whopping 3,072 Cuda cores. The outer frame is made from trivalent chromium-plated aluminum, while you'll find thixomolded magnesium alloy around the fan for vibration reduction and added cooling. Aiding in cooling even further, the unit also sports a dual vapor chamber and center-mounted fan. It'll cost you a spendy $1,000 to pick up one of these puppies come May 3rd, and you'll likely be tempted to double up -- two can run together in SLI as an effective quad-core card. With that said, NVIDIA claims that a single 690 runs 4dB quieter and handles about twice the framerate as a duo of GTX 680s in SLI -- impressive, but we'll reserve judgement until we see it for ourselves. Check out the press release after the break if you'd like more information in the meantime (...and yes, it runs Crysis -- 2 Ultra to be exact -- at 57.8fps, according to NVIDIA).

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/29/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-690-dual-kepler-gpu-graphics-card-announced/

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Whatever it is, IGN is already saying it will blow us away.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Are there any PC games that even come close to maxing out the power of one of the higher end graphic cards these days? Why on earth would you want the GTX 690, much less two of them? I can't imagine there are that many people who really want to play Crisis at high settings 5 years after it was released.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Wow, $999?

• Options
    Are there any PC games that even come close to maxing out the power of one of the higher end graphic cards these days? Why on earth would you want the GTX 690, much less two of them?

Trivalent chromium-plated aluminum and thixomolded magnesium! Whatever the fuck that does.

Yeah, I thought the ludicrous PC arms race calmed down to something sane years ago.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Are there any PC games that even come close to maxing out the power of one of the higher end graphic cards these days? Why on earth would you want the GTX 690, much less two of them?

Trivalent chromium-plated aluminum and thixomolded magnesium! Whatever the fuck that does.

Yeah, I thought the ludicrous PC arms race calmed down to something sane years ago.
    It has for the consumer market.

This....monstrosity...is not for consumers. It's for Nvidia to flex its muscles and call out AMD.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options

Considering Sega's long history of carefully considering all their options and then choosing the worst possible one, if they ever do decide to go through their stable of IP, I fully expect them to announce the return of a beloved classic franchise, market the heck out of it with teaser websites and countdown clocks, schedule a massive conference at E3, and proudly reveal to the entire world that their development teams have been working around the clock to bring us Bug! 3.

I'm fairly embarrassed to admit that I would buy it. I sort of liked the originals.

My dream is simply that Nintendo take over Sega and have the Endless Ocean team rebuild Ecco from the ground up. Oh, and Donkey Kong vs Congo Bongo.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

This was always my pet idea back when Sonic was circling the shitter. Just give the damn character to Miyamoto and watch people actually give a shit about the hedgehog again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    If platinum games made a sonic game it would be the best sonic game of all time.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    If platinum games made a sonic game it would be the best sonic game of all time.

sonic the hedgehog: hedgehogeance

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    it should be based on that sonic cartoon

have him slo-mo sliding around playing a guitar on his knees

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

It has for the consumer market.

This....monstrosity...is not for consumers. It's for Nvidia to flex its muscles and call out AMD.
    Yeah...I don't know how much strain it would have, even for their 3 monitor 3D thing

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Unless you are putting together a theoretical system designed to show the ridiculous synthetic benchmark numbers you are capable of (like, say, if you're a Nvidia distributor at a trade show), $1000 of Video Card would be best spent in 3 installments over 8 years.

I usually aim for around $250-350 in graphics on a given build, and it generally will last around 4 years before faltering at the most demanding games.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Just wait for the next console generation to come out, then PCs will go back to insanity.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    jothki wrote: »

Just wait for the next console generation to come out, then PCs will go back to insanity.

I doubt it. I'm guessing the next console generation is going to focus more on controllers and accessories and less on raw power. Stuff like the WiiU pad and Kinect 2.0 aren't going to be cheap and unless somebody wants a repeat of "$599!" they're not going to go for state-of-the-art technology in the consoles themselves.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    As long as they actually have a decent amount of RAM

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The Xbox 360's GPU is essentially a custom version of the ATI x1800 -- in 2005 that was a $350 graphics card. Of course, their costs are certainly lower since they are making millions of proprietary units and only need to ensure compatibility with one specific model. Let's say it's only a $200-250 expenditure at the time. That'd be equivalent of tossing a GeForce 560 Ti into a console nowadays. That'd let them make MUCH prettier games and actually render things in 1080p instead of 720p (or lower) with upscaling. Also, it'll probably be much easier to implement AA/AF and maintain 60fps with a more modern amount of RAM/VRAM.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Okay. I was leaning heavily towards it, but that above story put me over the edge. I am gonna buy Generation Xbox. They've done an excellent job marketing it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
This discussion has been closed.