As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I think just calling it the Xbox would work. I mean, it's working for Apple, right? gaming consoles/set top boxes are becoming like other consumer electronics, identified by brand name. Isn't that part of Nintendo's logic in re-using the Wii name or the DS name? Or Sony?

Just call it the New Xbox or New Playstation. Let the nerds and pundits worry about hardware generation/revision.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I think just calling it the Xbox would work. I mean, it's working for Apple, right? gaming consoles/set top boxes are becoming like other consumer electronics, identified by brand name. Isn't that part of Nintendo's logic in re-using the Wii name or the DS name? Or Sony?

Just call it the New Xbox or New Playstation. Let the nerds and pundits worry about hardware generation/revision.

Makes sense. Until the next generation of systems come out and suddenly it's very confusing which games will and will not work. I took a phonecall from a consumer pissed that Madden 2003 looked so shitty.

Turns out he bought the PS1 edition instead of one for the PS2. ('So that's why it was so cheap!' - Actual quote) And that's a case where the packaging was certainly different, the only thing different was adding a '2' to the system name.

Also, Apple turns out their products on a yearly basis and encourages people to just get the latest edition anyway. Ubiquitous naming convention only works for ubiquitous products. Video game consoles kind of defy that.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Apples shit doesn't have the same kind of hard break that consoles do.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The iPad 1 can do almost everything the iPad 3 can do. There's continuity across the product line.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Ah. Yeah. That too.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Microsoft should use their in-development names. XBox Durango.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

I don't know if I want the third Xbox to pick back up the first's trait of "so big and heavy it can haul lumber."

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Ah dunn knaw, man. Sounds like onna'em furringer names. How do ah knaw mah monehs won' be usedta fund turrism?

reVerse on
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    If Microsoft was really concerned (and smart) about branding they would just use the Metro moniker across mediums. Windows Metro (PC), Windows Metro Mobile (phone and tablet), XBox Metro. There done.

Then again I'm not up to date on popular culture, would they get much flack being compared to the other kind of Metro?

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    An '8' flipped looks like an infinity symbol, on the flipside. It's a rounded type of symbol, like the logo for the predecessor, and it is composed of two loops compared to the previous sole circle. I suspect '8' or 'Infinity' as of now.

Metro is already a pretty major brand of free newspapers found in man large cities. It also has green as its main color.

Absalon on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    eh, that'd be like naming the xbox 360 the xbox vista... which would not have been a good move

the whole reason they named it 360 was to not appear smaller or worse to the PS3. if they really want to distance themselves from it they should eschew the numbers altogether and just go with Xbox Next which works so good i'm surprised they don't use it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    "Xbox 8" is depressingly likely, since Microsoft is trying to put their 8 thing everywhere to remind people they, well, exist in a world where Google and Apple now rule. Think of it this way -- beyond the Xbox, when was the last time anyone got excited about Microsoft anything?

That said, it's no dumber than Xbox 360. Hell, you could argue it's slightly less dumb since the 8 is actually attached to something, whereas "360" was a meaningless buzzword various people attached to their products for a year or so.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Wasn't at least part of the reason it was called "360" because they didn't want the "Xbox 2" to go up against the "Playstation 3" since people are clearly idiots and would assume the PS3 is better because it has a higher number.

From a purely marketing standpoint, I can actually understand that kind of logic. That said logic exists in this world though depresses the fuck out of me.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Wasn't at least part of the reason it was called "360" because they didn't want the "Xbox 2" to go up against the "Playstation 3" since people are clearly idiots and would assume the PS3 is better because it has a higher number.

From a purely marketing standpoint, I can actually understand that kind of logic. That said logic exists in this world though depresses the fuck out of me.

Yes, that's the reason for 360, which is why 8 will also work. It's twice as much as 4.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    If you ever wanted to ask Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight, King's Quest VI with Roberta Williams, Grey Matter) Questions. Well, there is currently an AMA (ask me anything) on reddit going on

http://www.reddit.com/user/JaneJensen

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    The "How Many Duct-Taped Gamecubes"- meme would instantly mutate into "How Many Playstations".

Maybe Sony should consider throwing MS a curveball on that one by forfeiting numbered successors completely and just go for "The New Playstation". No duct-tape jokes, instant meme appeal, and if traditional silicon based computer chips become truly unusable past a certain fabrication node they would probably never have to make another home console ever again, so the "New" part of the name would never cause confusion!

It's genius!

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Actually, "New Playstation" might be a good card to play on a next gen system if Sony figures out their brand identity.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    They should brand it like they do their games. PlayStation HomeBox Now With Move PSN 3D.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    "Xbox 8" is depressingly likely, since Microsoft is trying to put their 8 thing everywhere to remind people they, well, exist in a world where Google and Apple now rule. Think of it this way -- beyond the Xbox, when was the last time anyone got excited about Microsoft anything?

That said, it's no dumber than Xbox 360. Hell, you could argue it's slightly less dumb since the 8 is actually attached to something, whereas "360" was a meaningless buzzword various people attached to their products for a year or so.

Yes, but the "360" buzzword turned into this fine piece of something for the internet to lulz at

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=360+degrees+walk+away

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    All the console names pale in comparison to the Valve console, DOTAbox 2

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote: »

Yes, but the "360" buzzword turned into this fine piece of something for the internet to lulz at

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=360+degrees+walk+away
    Man, talk about forced memes.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, analysts aren't fond of Sony at the moment.
    Analysts have said that Sony's forecast for a swing to profits in the current fiscal year is "optimistic", as the company's shares today fell by 7 percent to a 32 year low following record fiscal 2011 losses.

Sony this week posted record losses for the last fiscal year, due in part to its declining video game business, although it estimates that it will swing to profits during the current fiscal year.

This swing will be fueled in part by halved losses in its TV business, as well as improved sales for its PS Vita handheld, said the company. Sony estimates that it will sell 10 million PS Vitas during the current fiscal year.

However, speaking to Reuters, Goldman Sachs analysts said that weak demand for console and handheld games, as well as fierce competition from smartphone games, means that Sony's profit improvement plans for this year are misguided, even taking into account the planned loss narrowing in its TV business.

Deutsche Bank analyst Yasuo Nakane noted, "We see no catalyst that might spur a sustained (share) rally," while a trader at a U.S. bank added, "I didn't see anything positive in (Sony's results). There's really nothing in there that can justify buying the stock."

Sony's stock hasn't been this low since 1980, when its first Walkman portable cassette player launched. In 2012 alone, Sony's market value has tumbled by $3 billion.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/170180/Sony_shares_fall_to_32_year_low_as_future_plans_are_labeled_optimistic.php

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Meanwhile, analysts aren't fond of Sony at the moment.
    Analysts have said that Sony's forecast for a swing to profits in the current fiscal year is "optimistic", as the company's shares today fell by 7 percent to a 32 year low following record fiscal 2011 losses.

Sony this week posted record losses for the last fiscal year, due in part to its declining video game business, although it estimates that it will swing to profits during the current fiscal year.

This swing will be fueled in part by halved losses in its TV business, as well as improved sales for its PS Vita handheld, said the company. Sony estimates that it will sell 10 million PS Vitas during the current fiscal year.

However, speaking to Reuters, Goldman Sachs analysts said that weak demand for console and handheld games, as well as fierce competition from smartphone games, means that Sony's profit improvement plans for this year are misguided, even taking into account the planned loss narrowing in its TV business.

Deutsche Bank analyst Yasuo Nakane noted, "We see no catalyst that might spur a sustained (share) rally," while a trader at a U.S. bank added, "I didn't see anything positive in (Sony's results). There's really nothing in there that can justify buying the stock."

Sony's stock hasn't been this low since 1980, when its first Walkman portable cassette player launched. In 2012 alone, Sony's market value has tumbled by $3 billion.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/170180/Sony_shares_fall_to_32_year_low_as_future_plans_are_labeled_optimistic.php

And that's the key. Sony's plans are this: "Well, we're not losing as much in televisions and the Vita is gonna be SO COOL!" Unfortunately, losses are still losses, and the "our product is so cool!" drum broke somewhere back in like 2008. They do nothing to show or even tell why the products are cool, they just say it is. Tell us why, Sony, and maybe it might pick up.

But Sony doubling down on the Vita as the thing that's going to lift them up is... really, really bad. That thing is performing abysmally.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    While the N64 certainly had an analog stick, I'm pretty sure the only thing the controller will really be memorable for is that you had to have three hands to use it properly.

You know, I keep hearing this comment around the net, and I never understand it. One would have to never have played a N64 in his life to even begin to think that. Is it just a funny meme or something?

I always figured this was said by younger people who never really played the N64 or idiots.

I've noticed that the majority of people who defend that monstrosity of a controller are fanboys or people for whom the N64 was their first system.
    Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah I'm fine with Xbox 8, fuck it. No worse than anything else we've had before.

Certainly no worse than "Wii", "WiiU", or super generic names like "Gameboy" or "Playstation".

Goung with the 360 moniker basically means that Microsoft has to come up with goofy console names for as long as they stay in the business.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Algertman wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    While the N64 certainly had an analog stick, I'm pretty sure the only thing the controller will really be memorable for is that you had to have three hands to use it properly.

You know, I keep hearing this comment around the net, and I never understand it. One would have to never have played a N64 in his life to even begin to think that. Is it just a funny meme or something?

I always figured this was said by younger people who never really played the N64 or idiots.

I've noticed that the majority of people who defend that monstrosity of a controller are fanboys or people for whom the N64 was their first system.

Thinking you need 3 hands to use the N64 controller is like thinking you need at least 8 fingers hovering over the 4 face and shoulder buttons of a traditional controller.

Read: You're doing it wrong.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I've played video games since the NES and have no love at all for the 64, I was a PS1 guy. The first time I used the controller I was a bit confused, but after playing for a few minutes it's extremely obvious that you just grip two prongs at a time. And it's as comfortable as can be expected no matter which prongs you use.
    Goung with the 360 moniker basically means that Microsoft has to come up with goofy console names for as long as they stay in the business.

Eh, look at Mario Kart 7 when no other game in the entire series has ever been properly numbered.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Eh, look at Mario Kart 7 when no other game in the entire series has ever been properly numbered.

But Mario Kart wasn't competing against a long running kart game series.

Unless they decide to skip a number, Microsoft will always be one unit behind Sony for as long as they keep up with the "PS Number" scheme, which they don't seem too interested in changing anytime soon.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Sooooo.... this might be old news, but Ollie North is shilling for Call of Duty now, and Activision invited Ollie North to endorse their game on purpose. Here's a link to a relevant video: screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-70-fall-duty

Personally, I wish this had never happened.

• Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    blah, nvm

Guek on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    The Wii U obviously needs to change its name to Wii Ω to stand a chance against this onslaught of extreme naming.

Joking aside, I don't think Microsoft is gonna add that 8 after the "XBOX" name. Sure, they're probably going to add "FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 8!" to push their multimedia set-top home entertainment box strategy as far as its wheels will take them, but calling it just "XBOX 8" doesn't really make much sense in my opinion.

Yeah, well, neither does calling it Xbox 360.

Touché.

You can call it whatever you want if the product and the marketing is great. Tell the consumer "Why" and make that compelling. They'll buy it.

Xbox isn't a great name. Neither is Wii. We got used to it.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    the N64 pad did lots of things well, the only thing was it had the worst analog stick in the history of forever. it was so uncomfortable i preferred 3rd party controllers over the real deal because the abrasive grip on it had given my smushy child fingers blisters from too much mario partying.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    the N64 pad did lots of things well, the only thing was it had the worst analog stick in the history of forever. it was so uncomfortable i preferred 3rd party controllers over the real deal because the abrasive grip on it had given my smushy child fingers blisters from too much mario partying.

I think that was less of a "N64 controller" problem and more of a "Mario Party is fucking rough on the hands" problem.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    If you've gotta send out protective gloves, there might be a problem.

Even absent the Mario Party problems, the N64 pad had issues with grinding away and getting wobbly though.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Even absent the Mario Party problems, the N64 pad had issues with grinding away and getting wobbly though.
    That was my only problem with it. I eventually got a third party controller (can't remember the brand) where the post and "ball" part of the stick were metal, and it lasted until my step-brother threw it against the floor hard enough that the stick broke through the PCB it was mounted to :( He also did that to a Dual Shock controller, but only one of the sticks were fucked up that time.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    If you've gotta send out protective gloves, there might be a problem.

Pretty sure that was still Mario Party because of the insane "rotate the stick like crazy! GO GO GOGOGOGOGO!" games.

Also, Barrakketh's brother is a rage-filled controller-killing machine, apparently.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The N64 controller is not the complete abortion that history has made it out to be, but dear Lord, it ain't good. Even setting aside the eccentric form factor, there's the build quality...have fun sifting through them nowadays trying to find some where the analog stick isn't looser than a 45 year old-hook-...er, never mind oh wait you already saw where I was going with that.

The Hori Minipad for the N64 is the bomb diggity. They cost a pretty penny to acquire, though.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The Wii U obviously needs to change its name to Wii Ω to stand a chance against this onslaught of extreme naming.

Joking aside, I don't think Microsoft is gonna add that 8 after the "XBOX" name. Sure, they're probably going to add "FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH WINDOWS 8!" to push their multimedia set-top home entertainment box strategy as far as its wheels will take them, but calling it just "XBOX 8" doesn't really make much sense in my opinion.

Touché.

You can call it whatever you want if the product and the marketing is great. Tell the consumer "Why" and make that compelling. They'll buy it.

But Wii is a great console name. It's "We" as much as it's an exclamation of fun.

We You just sounds wrong though.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Wii supposedely was named as such because Wii is easy to say and is pronounced the same way in nearly every language, and the two i-s look like two people playing together.

The X Box was named as such because Microsoft wanted to build a game console that was x86 and used DirectX to make PC ports easy (building on the plan Sega had for the DC being able to run Windows CE from a game disc if devs didn't want to use Katana), so they drew up plans for a "DirectX Box", which was eventually shortened to Xbox.

We you does sound pretty lame though.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Touché.

But Wii is a great console name. It's "We" as much as it's an exclamation of fun.

We You just sounds wrong though.

WiiU still sounds like they are trying to say "Wii University" to me :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.